Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gilliam

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 3 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

The technology wasn't her strong point and she didn't want to press the wrong button in error so Imogen spent her time watching the capture of the Anarchy forces just in case some were planning to resist arrest before meeting up with the others on the USS John F Kennedy.

"So this crystal was how Havoc was so Lucienne like?" Imogen wondered out loud when Michelle displayed her half of the crystal.

After the High Master had joined and spoken Imogen turned and greeted him with a small bow of respect.

"High Master it is good to see you again and yes I agree Havoc needs to be stopped, she is a threat to everybody on the world but I suspect from your words there is more you are concerned with. Can you explain what about the crystals and GAS worries you?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder
HP: 4, Condition: Bx1, Fatigued

Jason stays off to the side as military and the others arrive. He does his best to stay out of his team business. He was tempted to leave but then word of General Havok still being at large causes him to pause his exit. The woman is a handful, and it might take all of them to take her down.

When the Highmaster of Shambhala arrives, Jason doesn't recognize him at first. Having never met him, it's Michelle's exclamation that confirms his identity.

Jason had been on some ridiculous errand when the meeting at Shambhala and Lucienne's subsequent attack took place. He wonders if things would have turned out differently if he had been there. Maybe Philip would have survived.

The Order made no attempt to hide their intentions after he returned. "We're just protecting you from yourself." That was the thing that led him down the path to leaving them completely. Forcing him to avoid the Shambhala incident made him wonder about the invasion and what the Order did.

"Those crystals are being used to warp reality on a very fundamental level."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 6 LP: 0
Condition: Fine

The disaster is over, for now, the military can take care of the dormant NOMU without waking them up by accident. But did the High Master of Shambala mean by all of this must stop? "Is Jason right, are the Daka crystals being used to warp reality on a fundamental level? Is that how they were able to suppress the powers of so many different types of empowered beings even those whose powers are innate to their very species?"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Aboard the USS John F. Kennedy
Gilliam wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:08 pm "So this crystal was how Havoc was so Lucienne like?" Imogen wondered out loud when Michelle displayed her half of the crystal.
"Not just the crystal," Amethyst says. She briefly explains what Gelert and her discovered at G.A.S. headquarters. "She has some technology that uses Daka crystals to do the reverse of the STARS power-nullifier weapons. Boosting powers, rather than canceling them out."

Amy speaks. "The Anarchy Command infiltrator Gelert questioned claimed that the technology was supplied by G.A.S. While it does sound suspiciously like a ploy to use us against G.A.S., if it is a lie, it sounds like the kind of like with enough truth mixed in that we cannot ignore it completely." Amethyst says nothing, and merely looks thoughtful.
Gilliam wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:08 pm"High Master it is good to see you again and yes I agree Havoc needs to be stopped, she is a threat to everybody on the world but I suspect from your words there is more you are concerned with. Can you explain what about the crystals and GAS worries you?"
The High Master bows to you.

"I am told that you foiled a plot to harm the Lemurian delegation travelling to your city. On behalf of all my people, I thank you. It is noble souls such as you that give us hope both our civilizations may share this planet in peace. As for the crystals and the weapons made with them..."
kenseido wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:48 pm"Those crystals are being used to warp reality on a very fundamental level."
"Jason Maxwell," Amethyst introduces you. "A concerned citizen who's being stalked by the Order of Merlin and who is under our protection for now. He's offered to help out with the Anarchy Circus attack."

"The Order of Merlin?" The High Master inclines his head at you. "But first... your wits are sharp. I see you have already deduced some of the truth behind Daka crystals. They are not a magical artifact. Rather, Daka crystals are, somehow, related to Wonderland."

"The same Wonderland March Hare came from?"

"Yes."

"Alice in Wonderland's Wonderland?"

"Naturally. What other Wonderland would there be?" the High Master says, forked tongue flaring in amusement.

Psistrike wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:31 am"Is Jason right, are the Daka crystals being used to warp reality on a fundamental level? Is that how they were able to suppress the powers of so many different types of empowered beings even those whose powers are innate to their very species?"
The High Master nods.

"You are correct," he says to Moonlight, "for Wonderland is the source of wonder. Of everything that awes and inspires. The ancient Greeks called it arete -- excellence."

He gestures, and vivid images fill the room. "A stirring symphony. A wondrous discovery. A spiritual revelation. The explorer's ambition, the artist's vision -- all these, and more, are the result of wonder driving mortals to surpass their limits, unleash their imagination and realize their true potential.

"Adrian Eldritch, the last Master Mage, discovered that for the past 300 years, Wonderland has been growing dimensionally closer to our reality at an accelerating rate, creating an Age of Wonder. During such a time, gods walk the earth, mighty magicks are woven and great heroes rise to champion the common good."

"The superpower index of the world has been constantly rising since measurements first started in the 1930's," Amy says, speaking through one of the small drones floating about Amethyst. "Are you saying this is all because of Wonderland's proximity?"

"It is," the High Master says. "The increase in the number and power of superhumans, the accelerating pace of technological development... In fact, even the spell sought by Lucienne -- cursed be her name -- Babel, can only be cast during such an age of wonder." He nods at Gelert. "It is no surprise that Earth saw its first Guardian of Hope during such a time." Again, at Amethyst. "Nor that a thinking machine should be built during such an era. Or that an elf now walks among mortal men, or that no less than two Incarnates have manifested here in that many years. We are in an age where the impossible grows more possible by the day.

"Daka crystals have the power to change all this. Through some means not even I understand, they modulate the influence of Wonderland on Earth, debilitating or empowering all things wondrous -- chiefly, but not only, superhumans and super powers. If Daka-based weapons are used to negate super powers, and deployed recklessly on a vast scale..."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder
HP: 4, Condition: Bruised x1, Fatigued

Jason remains quiet as the others speak. Mostly, his thoughts are about the Daka crystals. If they could be used to enhance powers, maybe he could use them to get back home.

But it would have to be done safely. He isn't willing to risk any damage to this world just to get home.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

Not sure if she was following what the High Master was saying Imogen asked "So the Daka crystals emphasis the impact of Wonderland if I understand correctly making things worst, better or more unpredictable? Does it make any difference that I was told that the Daka Crystals came from a meteorite that crashed here who knows how many years ago?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm All
Psistrike wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:31 am"Is Jason right, are the Daka crystals being used to warp reality on a fundamental level? Is that how they were able to suppress the powers of so many different types of empowered beings even those whose powers are innate to their very species?"
The High Master nods.

"You are correct," he says to Moonlight, "for Wonderland is the source of wonder. Of everything that awes and inspires. The ancient Greeks called it arete -- excellence."

He gestures, and vivid images fill the room. "A stirring symphony. A wondrous discovery. A spiritual revelation. The explorer's ambition, the artist's vision -- all these, and more, are the result of wonder driving mortals to surpass their limits, unleash their imagination and realize their true potential.
Gelert took this information in with a sense of childlike awe.
Ysariel wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm "Adrian Eldritch, the last Master Mage, discovered that for the past 300 years, Wonderland has been growing dimensionally closer to our reality at an accelerating rate, creating an Age of Wonder. During such a time, gods walk the earth, mighty magicks are woven and great heroes rise to champion the common good."

"The superpower index of the world has been constantly rising since measurements first started in the 1930's," Amy says, speaking through one of the small drones floating about Amethyst. "Are you saying this is all because of Wonderland's proximity?"

"It is," the High Master says. "The increase in the number and power of superhumans, the accelerating pace of technological development... In fact, even the spell sought by Lucienne -- cursed be her name -- Babel, can only be cast during such an age of wonder." He nods at Gelert. "It is no surprise that Earth saw its first Guardian of Hope during such a time." Again, at Amethyst. "Nor that a thinking machine should be built during such an era. Or that an elf now walks among mortal men, or that no less than two Incarnates have manifested here in that many years. We are in an age where the impossible grows more possible by the day.
"The world is, literally it seems, getting more wonderful every day." Gelert says, the statement brimming with joy and optimism.
Ysariel wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm "Daka crystals have the power to change all this. Through some means not even I understand, they modulate the influence of Wonderland on Earth, debilitating or empowering all things wondrous -- chiefly, but not only, superhumans and super powers. If Daka-based weapons are used to negate super powers, and deployed recklessly on a vast scale..."
Gelert's ear's droop. "That sounds bad. Like very very bad. I am suddenly reminded that a natural wonder is still often dangerous terrain. If things go too far in either direction it would be not good at all. Mass negating of the world's wonder could damage peoples ability to be people. Do the people of Dakana know all this yet?"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Gilliam wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:23 am"So the Daka crystals emphasis the impact of Wonderland if I understand correctly making things worst, better or more unpredictable? Does it make any difference that I was told that the Daka Crystals came from a meteorite that crashed here who knows how many years ago?"
"Worse. Far worse. If Wonderland's influence wanes sufficiently, not only super-powers, but all things set free by that spark of divine inspiration shall fade. Science, sorcery and spirituality will suffer. Mortals will be born with extraordinary potential, but they cannot unleash it; they will be as firewood without tinder. Civilization shall stagnate and decay, and fall into a dark age of long, slow decline. "

"Would the Anarchy Command's use of Daka crystals to achieve the opposite effect -- strengthening rather than weakening superpowers -- reverse that?" Amy asks.

"It would. But the opposite extreme is no better. An Age of Wonder brings with it terrible disasters, monsters and wars -- the very things that spur great heroes to take up arms. Mortals will be trampled underfoot in the conflicts between gods that follow, or massacred by the unimaginable spells and weapons unleashed. The 20th century has already seen myriad horrors, and worse is on the way. And should Wonderland become coterminous with the prime material plane, a complete breakdown of physical and sorcerous laws might result. You have met denizens of Wonderland. It is a place where anything is possible. Ponder the implications of that."

The High Master turns to the Rear Admiral and the other U.S. Navy officials present. "I will bring up this matter with representatives from your government when I meet with them. But I am saying this now, in your presence, for you warriors to know. Be not tempted by the secrets of Daka crystals."
Gilliam wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:23 am"Does it make any difference that I was told that the Daka Crystals came from a meteorite that crashed here who knows how many years ago?"
You recall from your first visit to Dakana that you learned it was in fact an alien spacecraft that contained the crystals. While not exactly secret, it is also not a widely known fact in the public sphere.

The High Master nods. "You are right that the crystals are not of Earth. Where they came from, how they were made -- if they are made in the first place, and not a natural phenomenon -- is beyond my knowing."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:06 amGelert's ear's droop. "Do the people of Dakana know all this yet?"
"This I do not know, either." The High Master tilts his head. "But you have been to Dakana yourself, have you not? You should know better than I."

"The Dakanans used Daka weapons," Amethyst says, remembering the time she got stabbed in the leg by a spear with a Daka-tipped crystal head. "But in a passive form, using the crystals directly as weapons, not unleashing whatever weird power is in them. So it's possible they don't know."

"The place the crystals come from is considered holy ground to Dakana. They may not have seen Daka crystals as a subject for scientific inquiry," Amy points out.

"And the crystals only arrived on Earth long after the great cataclysm," the High Master adds. "Their secrets are beyond even the wisdom of Lemuria, which was long destroyed by then. What I know, I learned from Adrian Eldritch, who investigated the matter in the years between your World Wars, and any other discoveries he made died with him. If the Dakanans themselves do not know, then that leaves your defense contractors -- and the Anarchy Command -- as the only ones who do."

"We have to nab their General," Amethyst says, shaking a fist. Then she holds up the remaining half of a Daka crystal in her hand. "If I use this to make something that turns off her ridiculous cheaty power boost, like I did at G.A.S. headquarters, is that bad, too?"

The High Master closes his eyes, thoughtful. "These are forces we do not understand clearly yet. Until the science is well-established, my counsel is that any use of them must be considered dangerous."

"If the General goes free," Amy adds darkly, "she will be free to abuse her Daka power-boosting technology, and our restraint will be for nothing."

"You are also correct. To allow her escape would be a far greater disaster." He gestures to all of you. "Only you have fought her directly, and know her measure. Only you know how likely she can be defeated even with the power of Daka."

OOC

Decide whether to use Daka technology to remove General Havoc's power boost in the final battle:
  • If you do, she fights at her base stats.
  • If you do not, she fights at increased PL with a non-plot-device version of Superior Power Jamming Ray, and you gain +2 HP for the challenge. If you are at less than 5 HP after this award, it is increased to 5.
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder
HP: 4, Condition: Bruised x1, Fatigued

Jason's lips tighten as the others discuss the Daka crystals. Is it really the crystals that are dangerous or the technology that they drive? A battery can power a weapon or lifesaving equipment. A philosophical debate for another time.

"When you fight fire with fire, you normally end up with nothing but ash; but in this case, the General's powers are fairly extreme. Coupled with her warped personality, I think we should use the crystals to neutralize her advantage. The threat she poses seems far worse."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

While Imogen could understand the concerns of the High Master she also recalled her battle with the General and just how ineffectual her attacks were.

"I value your thoughts High Master however this time we need any advantage we can get, General Havoc's power rivals that of Lucienne herself."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
Condition: Fine

"It is times like this I wish the elders of Wonderland would communicate more clearly or send Marsh Hare back with a message at least. Without their advice, I have to agree with my teammates, that the threat of General Havoc's continued use of her boosted power level is bigger than the risk of using Daka technology to neutralize it."
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Gelert

Gelert frowns "I got very very VERY lucky when I faced the General hopped up on Daka power. Like I had to improvise new stuff with my powers to keep from being totally overwhelmed until Amethyst nullified the boost. Granted I was alone at the time but it didn't seem like much I could do would be able to stop her. So I agree that we need to take the short term risk. The second we're done with this though we need to put a halt to using the tech until we have had time to seriously look the long term issues of this stuff."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All

The High Master nods solemnly at each of you in turn. "You are unanimous in your decision. Then I pray to the gods that you are correct. Go swiftly, and prevent any further misuse of this terrible power."

"My drones will accompany you," Amy says. "They will be equipped with particle cannons that fire Daka nanoparticles, penetrating deeply into skin and tissue. Based on telemetry from the battle at G.A.S. headquarters, even a minute amount is enough to reverse the power boosting effect of Daka crystals." A pause. "The law does not consider me a legal person, so I will attack with you, rather than on my own initiative."

"And I," the High Master of Shambhala says, "will find her. For you, Amethyst, have drawn the blood of your foe."

He holds up a fragment of armor from Amethyst's destroyed battlesuit; one corner is stained dark red with blood where it cut General Havoc's pustule-covered skin. "The blood is fresh," he says, forked tongue flicking out to taste the air. "Fresh enough that it would take formidable sorcery to hide from us, and..." The High Master pauses, then starts, eyes widening with shock.

"The audacity," he hisses. "She is returning to the city!"

The High Master's divinations lead you to a small building some 6 miles inland and on the outskirts of Phoenix Bay. To the south lie San Jose and the rest of Santa Clara county, the nation's high-tech capital. This area is dotted with the campuses and offices of tech startups - futuristic, low, eco-friendly buildings amongst immaculately landscaped gardens.

This particular corporate facility is just one single-storey building, and it's not hard to find because it is on fire. A dark plume of smoke rises into the evening sky from the damaged structure; a large hole has been blasted in the steel doors gurading the front entrance, and you can see the unconscious figures of uniformed security personnel and bullet casings littering the floor before it. The sign out front, rising before a stylized flower garden, reads:

METAPOWER RESEARCH INC.
A General Arms Systems subsidiary

Judging from the still-burning fires, the attack must have been very recent and very sudden - barely minutes ago. Emergency services have not even arrived - you can hear the distant wail of sirens, and alarmed civilians are warily edging closer to the scene to find out what is going on.

Through the shattered front gate, you can see nothing but a few dimly flickering fires.

Gelert: Perception, result of 15 and Accurate Scent

You smell two familiar scents on scene. One is General Havoc's, which should be no surprise. Even with her powers weakened she is still clearly a major threat.

The second scent is none other than Daniel Foreman, better known as White Knight. You recognize it from your encounter with him before the steps of the State Capitol building in Sacramento, on the night when you were sent there by Shambhala's magics as a test of your virtue.
OOC

You can enter the G.A.S. facility proper through the destroyed front door and search the interior with an Investigate (Search) check.

You can try to rouse some of the unconscious G.A.S. personnel. You need at least 10 ranks of Healing or the Treatment skill to administer enough medical help to revive them.

You can also use any powers you desire, or try a power stunt, or do anything else you consider reasonable.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Spellbinder
HP: 4, Condition: Bruised x1; Fatigued

Jason looks at the entrance and then back at the others.

"I'll scout ahead." Without waiting for a response, Jason fades from view and moves into the building.

Too many times, he would get into an argument with Duncan or one of the others about "scouting ahead." After that time with the shaman, he stopped waiting for any comments.

He enters and begins searching for any signs or clues.
Investigate check: 1d20+10 26
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
Condition: FIne

"Gelert, you help out these poor people, I will deal with the flames." Moonlight summons forth a small rain cloud that begins to pour down over the burning building in an attempt to put out the roaring flames.

OOC: Nullify Water-Soluble Effects 11, Broad, Simultaneous attack check: Attack roll: 1d20+12 24 Now the power check: Nullify Water-Soluble Effects power check: 1d20+11 16