Pissmaker

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ken

Pissmaker

Post by Ken »

How many episodes does one need to get through before "Peacemaker" becomes funny? Or at least enjoyable?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
mrdent12

Re: Pissmaker

Post by mrdent12 »

I've found it enjoyable. It's in the James Gunn style, which isn't for everyone, but it's a nice break from the normal marvel formula and good escapism for me at least. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea though.
Ken

Post by Ken »

So far (I'm just past the bar scene in episode 1), it comes across as a tragedy. The only times I laughed were the opening number and the hug.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Honestly, it didn't really click for me until episode 4. I give most shows 3 episodes to establish story, character and what-not, and this time I went for 4 because I'm still annoyed with Cena for RL stuff, so I figured it might be coloring my judgement. After ep4, the series took off for me and I really enjoyed it.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I've only seen clips on YouTube, and while they are usually at least somewhat amusing, I can't help but wonder what a Peacemaker vehicle which took the original comic book character and played him totally straight might look like. Especially since I don't think Cena is all that terrible of an actor, and he really does look like a superhero. I think you could put him in something with a tone similar to, say, the first John Wick film, and he'd be decent in it.

While I find Gunn a competent film maker, his work with Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad can't help but remind me of that bit from the movie A Few Good Men, where Jack Nicholson's character tells Tom Cruise that all the values and other things he lives his life by, Cruise and his ilk consider a joke to laugh at during cocktail parties. Most of these characters - several of whom used to be fairly badass - are now largely viewed as ass-clowns by the general public. It took Batman two decades to overcome that sort of thing.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Davies

Post by Davies »

That which can be damaged or destroyed by laughter should be.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."