[MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shadowmask

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

Post by Shadowmask »

All in all, it shouldn't be too big a problem as long you can sometimes downplay your powers and try to avoid situations where sightings of your abilities could possibly be observed and become viral over the 'net. Of course this is easier said than done.
Shadow13

Post by Shadow13 »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:24 am Oh boy...

This really isn't easy, but here's the roster. In case someone drops out, I'll consider those who did not make it first.
All submissions were great and in fact, in nearly all but two cases, I had to randomly determine who would get in. So, do not take this as any indication of your submission lacking.

Helen Paladino
Sunii Roy
Khemis
Deborah Stetson Gold
Vickie " Charger" Pulaski.

Now, for those who got in...I would like for them to know each other or at the very least each know two other people from the list. It'll make getting started that much smoother.
Congrads people. Enjoy the game and I am looking forward to reading how this story plays out.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Well, you could certainly try Clark Kenting. We all have a valid reason to wear masks these days. The trouble is that the moment someone notices you having been in a coma after New Year, they will know you have powers, just not what kind.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Well, for the purposes of trying to maintain a secret identity (however much of a vain hope that might turn out to be in the long term!) Khemis will not admit to knowing any of the other PCs from before the Sunstorm, in the hope that her doing so will stop her as she is now (looking utterly different to how she did before) being linked to Karima.

Her flatmate Bibiana has asked whether she could also work the Catholic church she goes to to help people. Khemis has no particular problem with this, but has not got around to it yet, though she has mentioned it to the ICNA people, who may have made contact by now.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

kenmadragon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 am
Vivid wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 pm Does anyone know of a way to not have the asterix for a game I submitted to but was not selected for?
Not entirely sure what you mean by that. Please elaborate?
Any thread that I've posted in, even once, has a '*' marking it as such when I look at the full list of threads. This might be a 'noob' question but is there any way to remove those asterixis from threads of games?
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Ugh, I had a larger post for this, but it got eaten by the editor when I tried to preview and now I can't recover it since the draft wasn't saved. Whatever, I'll just be brief this time.

Onto before-campaign-start connections with the other PCs...

Deborah:

I don't think Sunny would even know who she is before the Sunstorm. He wasn't big on fashion, nor on health-vlogs. Social media isn't something he uses much and he's really out-of-touch on what's "hip" and influencers are just a concept to him. After the Sunstorm, the only way I could see him knowing who Deborah is is if Deborah was somehow trending for something relating to Sunstormers in a way that would draw his attention and focus... otherwise, he probably only knows she exists because someone may have posted a random clip from one of her videos on a Discord he lurks on, and he just recognizes the name of the tag and her face, but otherwise has no idea who she is. If Deborah publically declares herself a Sunstormer, though, and demonstrates her powers online and mentions she's a Chicago local... that'd probably draw Sunny's attention to actually linger and get information instead of just going "meh, skip".

Helen:

Pre-Sunstorm, Kenny has no real reason to deal with the police, I don't think. After the Sunstorm... their interactions would likely be affected by whether Helen has told the police force she has powers and how the police force decide to use Helen. I'm damn sure that office politics are gonna get involved there because having a police officer who is publically a Sunstormer is an asset to them for all kinds of reasons. Based on that, they might have had some kind of run-in when Sunny - in his homemade outfit for masked-vigilantism - interrupts a crime in progress to play out a living comic-book scene through use of superpowers... then leaves the remainder of the messs for the police after the criminals have been knocked out and stuff.

Karima:

Yeah, they don't run in the same social circles pre-Sunstorm. At best, he might have spotted her and noticed she was strange while he flew over the city while trying to get a handle on this whole "masked super-vigilante" thing and either followed her because her mutations are weird and reminiscent fo Inque from Batman Beyond (ergo, super-villain typecasting) before realizing she wasn't actually doing anything strange, or maybe confronted her while in disguise or something? I'm really not sure. Depending on how popular the "Khemis" blog gets, it's possible that Sunny might get it linked to him on a Discord channel from somone who thought her blog was pretty cool about being a scary-looking mutant Sunstormer, after which Sunny would be able to recognize some of the descriptions she writes of herself and her experiences?

Vickie:

Yeah, the whole "met in line for the Spider-Man movie" thing could have worked... only Sunny looked quite different before the Sunstorm and probably isn't recognizable by anyone who didn't actually know him before hand. Sunny also isn't someone who makes fast friends in situations like that, so he probably just 'forgot' about her until he runs into her again and recognizes who she is as that one random girl he exchanged maybe a couple minutes of dialogue with (at best) that one time at the movie theaters. Afterwards... yeah, I could see them interacting while Sunny and Vickie do the whole "learn how to fly" thing. Sunny probably noticed something wielding sunstormer-energy to control kinetic energies int he atmosphere and decided to check it out that led to them meeting while flying. Granted, Vickie is obviously the better technical-flier, but it'd still probably be interesting for the two of them to meet another flyer int he Chicago skyline. Not sure how their interaction would actually play out though.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Thinking about it, if Khemis is out there doing public things, like helping out in particular, she's almost certainly going to be filmed on people's smartphones, even if she only comes out as a silhouette, and some of those videos would probably end up on at least YouTube, and maybe the local news.

A video of her when she got shot through the head and shrugged it off would probably get a good few views!
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

kenmadragon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 pm Karima:

Yeah, they don't run in the same social circles pre-Sunstorm. At best, he might have spotted her and noticed she was strange while he flew over the city while trying to get a handle on this whole "masked super-vigilante" thing and either followed her because her mutations are weird and reminiscent fo Inque from Batman Beyond (ergo, super-villain typecasting) before realizing she wasn't actually doing anything strange, or maybe confronted her while in disguise or something? I'm really not sure. Depending on how popular the "Khemis" blog gets, it's possible that Sunny might get it linked to him on a Discord channel from somone who thought her blog was pretty cool about being a scary-looking mutant Sunstormer, after which Sunny would be able to recognize some of the descriptions she writes of herself and her experiences?
If Khemis sees someone flying about while she is out and about she is definitely keen to meet another person like her. She will wave to them and shout (assuming he's far enough away to have to shout). "HELLO! I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER SUNSTORMER AROUND! I'M KHEMIS!"
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Yeah, relief efforts would be a great way for you to know each other. Electricity is, as mentioned, spotty and that also means that many families are struggling with the cold. Food is also an issue. Though nobody is in danger of starving, many shelves are left empty and keeping stuff refrigerated is suddenly becoming quite a challenge. The National Guard is handing out emergency rations and fresh water, but they gladly take any civilian help they can get.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Well, Khemis is more than happy to help, though not sure whether that'd be directly or as part of the ICNA who she's already working with.

And if any looters try and steal the supplies they might regret doing so...
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Tony Jones wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 am
kenmadragon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 pm Karima:

If Khemis sees someone flying about while she is out and about she is definitely keen to meet another person like her. She will wave to them and shout (assuming he's far enough away to have to shout). "HELLO! I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER SUNSTORMER AROUND! I'M KHEMIS!"
Over-exuberant stranger calling out to him? Sunny would be caught between either immediately flying away to escape a potentially awkward conversation, or forcing himself to float down and have a chat because "there's a woman in a burqa shouting at me, but the energies around her look weird compared to regular people..." and curiosity might get the better of him.

For the sake of establishing a connection between characters, we could say he does the latter and attempts to strike up a casual (yet a bit awkward) conversation with her about things. Considering their personalities, it's likely that Khemis would be the one leading that conversation, as Sunny wouldn't really know what to talk about that wouldn't be a sore subject and is also likely to shy away from talking about himself as he's trying to craft a secret identity for himself but hasn't quite figured out yet all the details for his superheroic-vigilante identity and is wary of over-sharing anything personal about himself.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I've been under the weather the past few days. Did any connections happen? And do we have a start date pending? Thanks.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

kenmadragon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:58 pm Over-exuberant stranger calling out to him? Sunny would be caught between either immediately flying away to escape a potentially awkward conversation, or forcing himself to float down and have a chat because "there's a woman in a burqa shouting at me, but the energies around her look weird compared to regular people..." and curiosity might get the better of him.

For the sake of establishing a connection between characters, we could say he does the latter and attempts to strike up a casual (yet a bit awkward) conversation with her about things. Considering their personalities, it's likely that Khemis would be the one leading that conversation, as Sunny wouldn't really know what to talk about that wouldn't be a sore subject and is also likely to shy away from talking about himself as he's trying to craft a secret identity for himself but hasn't quite figured out yet all the details for his superheroic-vigilante identity and is wary of over-sharing anything personal about himself.
OOC: Never heard of Inque before. Interesting!

If Khemis is out and about as Khemis she won't be in a burqa, and will shout and wave. Or if she's sitting on a rooftop in the freezing cold and darkness, reading, with the hood of her burqa down she'll also do so. If she's hiding under the burqa out on the street in disguise she won't - secret ID and all that. Are you OK with it being the rooftop situation?

But regardless of where the conversation takes place:

"It's good to know there are more than three Sunstormers in Chicago!" she says in the voice of a sixty-a-day smoker with a slight French accent, using a more normal volume now that Sunny is closer. Despite the freezing weather, her breath does not steam in the cold air when she speaks. "And you can fly! That's amazing! I can't fly. As you can probably guess. I haven't seen you in the news, so can I guess you've been keeping on the down-low, adjusting to all this? I know I'm still adjusting. It's a lot to get your head around."

"How do you feel about helping out? There are a lot of cold and hungry people out there who need supplies," she says, waving a hand at the city in general. "I've been lending a hand. Distributing supplies and things. I'm sure the National Guard would be happy to have your help too. Or the charity of your choice. Anything really!"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

How well should we know one another, for our "Connections"? I'm tossing around some ideas, but I'd like an idea of where our benchmarks are.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:05 pm I've been under the weather the past few days. Did any connections happen? And do we have a start date pending? Thanks.
Not much has been truly settled, connections-wise. We're still trying to figure out what kind of connections they would be and how they would unfold given the circumstances of the setting.

And I think we're just waiting for Neo-Paladin to decide when we're done figuring out how our characters might be connected and stuff before he says a start-date or creates the In-Character thread and stuff.
Tony Jones wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:47 pm
kenmadragon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:58 pm Over-exuberant stranger calling out to him? Sunny would be caught between either immediately flying away to escape a potentially awkward conversation, or forcing himself to float down and have a chat because "there's a woman in a burqa shouting at me, but the energies around her look weird compared to regular people..." and curiosity might get the better of him.

OOC: Never heard of Inque before. Interesting!

If Khemis is out and about as Khemis she won't be in a burqa, and will shout and wave. Or if she's sitting on a rooftop in the freezing cold and darkness, reading, with the hood of her burqa down she'll also do so. If she's hiding under the burqa out on the street in disguise she won't - secret ID and all that. Are you OK with it being the rooftop situation?

But regardless of where the conversation takes place:

"It's good to know there are more than three Sunstormers in Chicago!" she says in the voice of a sixty-a-day smoker with a slight French accent, using a more normal volume now that Sunny is closer. Despite the freezing weather, her breath does not steam in the cold air when she speaks. "And you can fly! That's amazing! I can't fly. As you can probably guess. I haven't seen you in the news, so can I guess you've been keeping on the down-low, adjusting to all this? I know I'm still adjusting. It's a lot to get your head around."

"How do you feel about helping out? There are a lot of cold and hungry people out there who need supplies," she says, waving a hand at the city in general. "I've been lending a hand. Distributing supplies and things. I'm sure the National Guard would be happy to have your help too. Or the charity of your choice. Anything really!"
Rooftop works fine. Honestly, Sunny would probably be moderately unnerved by the situation of meeting someone like Khemis on top of a rooftop, what with her strange appearance and the fact that her body doesn't respond to the fact that the weather is in the 30s and looking to get colder... (not that Sunny can really point fingers there, as he's capable of surviving the cold depths of space).

Khemis also happens to be one of the few nemesis of an introvert: a people-person. Who might also be subtly grilling him for information. She also happens to have an excellent point about Sunny's flight being of immense value in the delivery of supplies to where they need to go.

"A damn good point," he'll admit. What with the weather in Chicago since New Year's being bad and steadily getting colder for some reason, the lack of consistent power and utilities is going to be a nightmare for much of the city and civil servants are going to be hard-pressed to handle all of that. "I can't do anything about the problems with the power grid, but I can handle delivery. Just hope Google Maps can handle flying over the streets..."

Though, if prompted to give a name for himself, Sunny - while in disguise - would probably admit to having trouble coming up with a "super-name" that fits him... but would allow himself to be identified as "Peter Kent" or some other mis-mash of comic-book secret-identities which don't sound immediately fake.
pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 am How well should we know one another, for our "Connections"? I'm tossing around some ideas, but I'd like an idea of where our benchmarks are.
Based on our characters' backgrounds, I don't know whether they'd have run in the same social circles before the Sunstorm, so probably not anything more than friendly acquaintances who you kinda-sorta know, but aren't that close to? At least, that's probably the best anyone's gonna get with Sunny considering his Complications regarding that Quirk of his.