[MM3]Sunstormers - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tony Jones

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers - Recruiting and OOC - Recruitment ends on Jan.22nd

Post by Tony Jones »

Just came across this list of interesting locations in Chicago that might be useful!

Especially the Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply Co., American Science & Surplus, Damen Silos, Cosmic Ray Detectors, Chicago Freight Tunnels and the Abandoned Brach's Candy Factory...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Yeah...it wasn't as bad, although some systems were affected and several larger cities are still struggling with blackouts and other infrastructure disruptions. As of the 10th of January, the internet is spotty as well and cell phone coverage has also suffered - just not to full-on catastrophic levels.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Fair enough. I'd guess probably still a fair death toll though.

All the other people on the bus in Khemis' background for some!
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Jackie and Clyde

Jackie's mother was from East India but died when he was a pre-teen; his father, a British ex-pat, brought Jackie to America, settling in the Chicago area when the boy was young enough to still get dual-citizenship but also passed away when Jackie was twelve. The boy bounced around foster families for 3 years before running away to live on the streets.

Street rat, cutpurse, and grifter Jackie L. Harts prowled the alleys and subways of Chicago looking for a purse to lift or an unattended bag or valise that he could hock for scratch. He'd lived hard ever since running away form an orphans life 5 years ago. He spent three days passed out under cardboard and newspaper and woke up to someone even more desperate than him trying to steal his shoes. This infuriated him and he felt the change come on. His transformation took place, startling the would-be theif, and a beast of a man, strong and seemingly unbreakable with a penchant for violence cut a swath of destruction across the abandoned building. Jackie was able to assert enough control that no one was injured (and said shoes were shredded during the transformation anyway).

Even after he reverted, Jackie found himself changed to be more dexterous with better hand-eye coordination, visual acuity, able to throw even harmless objects with precision, melt into shadows, and parkour up a building.

Height: 5"8 as Jackie, 7'3 as Clyde Clubs

PL8 120

Jackie L. Harts

STR 0
STA 4
AGI 4
DEX 4
FGT -1
AWE 2
INT 0
PRE 2

Defense/saves:
Toughness 4+4 = 8
Dodge 4+4pp = 8
Parry -1+9pp = 8

Will 2+6pp = 8
Fort 4+4pp = 8

Combat:
Init +8
Unarmed -1, DC15 Toughness
Throwing (anything) +12, DC19 Toughness
Throw (Shuriken) +14, DC16 Toughness, Multiattack, Penetrating {19-20 crit}, subtle

Skills [34pp]: Deception 12(+14/+16), Sleight of Hand 6(+10), Vehicles 1(+5), Acrobatics 6(+10), Perception 6(+8), Insight 8(+10), Persuasion 8(+10/+12), Ranged-Throwing 8(+12), Stealth 6(+10), Streetwise 7(+7)

Advantages [20pp]: Set-up, Improved initiative 1, Skill Mastery - Sleight of Hand, Skill Mastery - Acrobatics, Move by Action, Defensive roll 4, Throwing Mastery 4, Equipment 2, Precise Ranged Cover/Concealment, Feature (Security rolls based off Sleight of Hand), Hide in Plain Sight, Connected
Free adv: Attractive, Skill Mastery - Deception

Equipment: Commlink/Cell phone(free), GPS tracker, lockpicks, Nylon belt (Feature - adapts to size change, also not easily removable),
Sharpened Diamond-shaped shuriken (Ranged Damage 1, multiattack 1, Penetrating 1, accurate, subtle, Improved Crit 1),
(misc)Many decks of Playing cards, metal Water bottle.

Powers:
Parkour; Flight 2, limit - must begin and end on solid surface, quirk - must have jumpable/climbable path to get there [1pp] {training}
{Rather than stat out a Speed/Wall-Climbing/Sure-footed power, it's easier represented as a limited Flight}

Morph, Metamorph (Clyde Clubs), Quirk: To self-initiate change must be capable of getting angry*, Triggered by injury resulting in staggered or worse condition. Also Triggered by strong anger, Uncontrolled on Triggered feats. [Will DC 13 to avoid {roll of 5 or better}] [5pp]
* normally Jackie can work himself into a rage but not if gassed, drugged, or pacified in some way

Voice in my head; Second Chance (Will vs Mental Afflictions) [1pp] "Jackie stupid! Stop being stunned/charmed/asleep/etc." - Clyde's voice in Jackie's head
Fractured Mind; Immunity to Mental descriptor, half effect [5pp]

Attributes 30 + Saves 24 + Skills 34 + Advantages 20 + Powers 12 = 120

Clyde Clubs

STR 0/8/10
STA 8/10
AGI 0
DEX -2
FGT 0
AWE 2
INT -2
PRE -2

Defense/saves:
Toughness 12, Impervious to damage rank 6 or bwelow
Dodge 5pp -1 = 4
Parry 5pp -1 = 4

Fort 10
Will 2+4pp=6

Combat:
init +8
Unarmed +6 to hit, {18-20 crit} DC25 Toughness
Improvised Weapon +6 to hit, DC25 Toughness
Throw +6 to hit, DC 25 Toughness
Hand Clap, DC18 Dodge for half, then DC18 or 14 Fort, Area-Cone, Affliction
Stomp, DC18 Dodge for half then DC18 or 14 Str/Dodge(worse), Area-Burst Affliction.

Skills [17pp]: Ranged Combat - Throwing 6(+6), Close Combat - Unarmed 6(+6), Intimidate 4(+15), Perception 10 (+12), Insight 6(+8), Athletics 2(+12)

Advantages[17pp]: Interpose, Improved initiative 2, Extraordinary effort, Fearless, Improvised Weapon, Power Attack, All out Attack, Powerful intimidate (Use STR for Intimidate), Startle, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Chokehold, Improved Hold, Equipment 1, Instant Up, Prone Fighting

Equipment: Commlink/cell phone (free), GPS tracker, Nylon belt(described above), other stupid stuff in belt Jack can't use

Powers:
Growth 2 [4pp]
(+2STR/STA, +1 initidation, -2 Stealth, -1 dodge/parry)

Thickened skin, Protection 2, Impervious to Toughness pr 12 [14pp]

Regeneration 5 {1/2 rounds} [5pp]

Strength Array
Enhanced Strength 8, dynamic [16+dynamic+2DAEs+2AEs = 23pp]
DAE: Speed 6 (run 1800ft/move, 120mph}, & Leaping 6 {up to 1800 feet} & Making foot/hand holds; Wall crawling 2
DAE: Up to Lifting Str 10 (10+3leftoverSTR+2size total=15) (up to 800 tons)
AE: Hand Clap/ Stunning force; Affliction (Resist by Fort, Vulnerable and Dazed, Defenseless and Stunned), Area-Cone, Extra Condition, Limited Scope pr 8
AE: Stomp; Burst Area, Affliction (Resist by worse of Str or Dodge, Impaired and Hindered, Disabled and Prone), Extra Condition, Limited Scope, Instant Recovery, Limited - must share solid surface, Secondary Effect, pr 8

Voice in my head; Second Chance (Will vs Mental Afflictions) [1pp] "Clyde, snap out of it! We need you!" - Jackie's voice in Clyde's head
Fractured Mind; Immunity to Mental descriptor, half effect [5pp]
Immunity: Poison, Disease (Half effect) [1pp]
Immunity:Suffocation 2(breath holding), Cold Environment, Hot Environments, Pressure Environments, [5pp]

Knobbly knuckles: Improved Critical, Unarmed 2 [2pp]

Bestial Senses: Dark Vision (Quirk - eyes glow in the dark [as pictured]), Extended Hearing, Acute Smell, Tracking [4pp]

Attributes 8 + Saves 14 + Skills 17 + Advantages 17 + Powers 64 = 120

Complications:

Sucker for a pretty face - Jackie fancies himself a ladies' man. With his good looks and charisma he's not wrong. But his judgement is often impaired when it comes to the fairer sex.

All the Rage (Jackie Harts) - Jackie likes to be center of attention, show off (especially when girls are around), and has a penchant for flamboyancy. Feel free to suggest any sort of stunt that would keep him center of attention and get him in trouble.

All the Rage (Clyde Clubs) - Clyde has a short temper and can easily be blinded by his intense Id-like emotions. His usual response is violence.

Control is an issue - Jackie has a better handle on when he transforms into Clyde Clubs and the actions they take while Clyde is in the driver's seat. That control is threatened in times of peak anger or peak danger for Jackie. "I took a bullet in my head once, the Big Guy spit it out."

Secret Identity - Jackie WANTS to be known as a hero and Good Guy (tm)... but he also knows it'd be a bad idea. That makes it even more important that he doesn't slip up and become Clyde Clubs accidentally, in front of witnesses. Plus, do you know how freaky it is for a 20 year old to have all his hair fall out? No recovering from that on youtube.

No Hurt Clyde's Friends - Clyde, with his bestial sensibilities, has an inherent sense of 'pack'. Sometimes a threat to one of 'his pack' might call Clyde to the surface as well.

Tame the Beast - Cylde must be calmed in order for Jackie to re-emerge. He can be forced calm (by drug or power Forcing Jackie back even when it'd be disadvantageous) or talked into calm when a crisis is over or driven to pass out from Fatigue (the more likely outcome as Clyde Clubs is prone to surging for a brutal series of attacks).
Last edited by Vivid on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Just a thought if it might help get the party together, Khemis might try and set up a support group for Sumstormers. Perhaps the PCs attend?
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Well, I have the basics of a character background/personality and build decided... but I'm struggling to come up with a name for my paragon-type hero. Hardest part of all char-gen for me - coming up with a name so that I can properly write out the background and other notes to go with it.

Otherwise, I've got his build, his general background, his personality, etc... But a name and an image are all that I'm missing before I can feel confident in filling out the rest. Male, dark haired, bright eyed, tan-ish skin-tone (vaguely ethnic? multi-racial? or just a tanned white-guy? not sure yet), above-average height, tends to wear baggy clothes (because all his clothes are now a size too big since he went from "pudgy" to "super-fit" practically overnight)... I have this general picture in my head, but I'm struggling to find a name that clicks with the character outline I have in my head.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Real name or superhero name?
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Tony Jones wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 am Real name or superhero name?
Both, probably? Real name seems more important in a game like this since that's what'll be used more often as this isn't a four-color superpowered-world. Hero-name'll probably come later, once he actually puts together a costume and stuff.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Just type a random name into Google and see what other names pop out.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Okay, managed to come up with a name (not a hero-one, that'll probably come later) and wrote out most of a background. I'll add more onto it and add in notes, physical descriptions (before and after the sun-storm), bio-data and other stuff like that.

At the moment, I think we've got five submissions... And quite the spread. There's Deborah, a social media influencer with psychic powers she doesn't know about/acknowledge; Gina, the Chicago-local cop who can control gravity and likely wants to keep the peace in a reeling city; Sunny, the socially-awkward nerd and well-intention-ed paragon/FISS who's determined that this brave new world needs superheroes; Karima, the faithful journalist turned into a living-shadow-creature who wants to help others dealing with the horrors of the Sunstorm; and Jackie, the street-rat and con-man who has the deadly aim of Bullseye and has another personality that'll Hulk-out when enraged. A solid spread, all told.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Definitely a lot of brick-type characters! Not too much ranged non-psychic ability though.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Hmm, haven't played in PbP for years, but I'll throw my hat into the ring. If nothing else it's a fresh way to be challenged to make an interesting build. I'm thinking an Electricity Controller.

Are the alternative Luck advantages from Power Profiles fair game?
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

What's the 'Withstand Damage' advantage? I don't think I've seen that before.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Me neither. As for Power Profiles: Yes.