Disney World Trip Report (Nov. 2021)

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Jabroniville

Re: Disney World Trip Report (Nov. 2021)

Post by Jabroniville »

Blue milk!

I managed to get a reservation for Olga's Cantina, which I guess is a highly-sought-after one? I honestly hadn't looked it up (my hotel concierge was checking and got it for me while looking for Be Our Guest reservations), so when I got in, I didn't know what to expect. It's got more great theming, though HOLY COW it's a tiny lil' bar. No wonder nobody can get in. It greatly resembles a dive, with "gross" stuff like the little blue boba-things that go in your drinks appearing to be the eggs of some lumpy frog-monster in the giant tub with tubes "leading" to the drink fountains. That's pretty funny. There's a robot DJ bouncing to random electronica beats and a lot of high-tech-but-scrappy gear all over the place. I didn't want a MEAL meal and so I went with a pretty generic cheap non-alcoholic drink and paid before having a wander around the place to get my money's worth, haha.

There are some MASSIVE foot stops around this place, it seems- a gigantic barbecue-looking thing and another quick-service place in a big building off to another side- these seem like more "mass transit quick service" places just to deal with the massive influx of tourists. I was curious (and hungry) but ultimately passed.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

https://jabroniville.smugmug.com/Disney ... /i-BZLtKKG
https://jabroniville.smugmug.com/Disney ... -vcm8cCT/A

Three-minute clips of the finale, one from the second row. See if this works.

FROZEN EVER AFTER:

So like I said before, Frozen is my jam, and so I KNEW I would end up seeing Frozen Ever After at least once. So I went pretty early in the first one, but the timing stank because I had to absolutely SLAM the slush drink I'd just bought, because you can't even stand in the crowd to get in with the drink. I figured it would be a good enough seat and it KIND OF was, but I figured an LL selection would be superior and so got one for later. First World Problem: the WiFi in here is COMPLETELY non-existant, so the queue and the auditorium completely blanked my phone or any checking of the App. I found two different pairs of narrators once more- they must alternate semi-frequently, because in 2019 it was the same deal. It's a mostly full theater, but close seats are MUCH better.

Both groups of narrators have a similar dynamic- the middle-aged woman being a thirst-queen for Hans and Kristoff is always entertaining, and the repartee between the hosts is always fun. I like how they both get zingers on each other. Watching twice in one day means you get repeat jokes, but they often put a different spin on them and have completely new material as well- it seems a bit like the Jungle Cruise where you have some freedom to do different things. This time neither group called out the one guy in the "Elsa Reveals Her Powers Outside" bit who happens to be smiling nonchalantly, lol. The show itself is solid, though most people call out the problems- Frozen is immensely front-loaded with songs, so the narrators largely have to spend 20 minutes on the first half of the movie, then railroad everything into the end with this ridiculous "Okay so then all this stuff happens!" that glosses over the entirety of the rest of the film. Though it's actually been so long since I've seen Frozen and heard many of the songs that it was kind of nice to see them again. Like, that is a REALLY GOOD soundtrack.

But we get Anna early on to give us a "main" character, Kristoff in the middle as everyone's still looking for Elsa, and then BAM! Anna comes out at the end and we finally get Elsa, the Main Event of the whole thing. And it's a legit singer doing "Let It Go", not lip-synching or anything (unlike the old Friendship Faire castle show, where it was Idina Menzel doing even the new dialogue). The funny thing is Anna gets almost nothing to really do in this one, obviously playing support for Elsa... funnier still because I know for a fact that at least one Anna performer is also a Belle performer at the Studios and DOES sing for that show! I always wonder if people mind being "The Anna" and having Elsa steal the spotlight, lol.

So the second time around, I made sure I was able to get a middle center seat wayyyyyyyyy up front, getting in the second row, and it has pretty much no weaknesses. you can still see everything just fine, and when you're up front, the people on stage can see you and wave at you! I got waves from Anna AND Elsa, you guys!!

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST:
I managed to see this for its last show- the Studios are actually REALLY BAD for spacing out all the shows "just so" that you will miss 1-2 performances of one if you see another one. Plus the shows all end fairly early, and you will miss valuable park time if you go in the morning, so there's really only a small handful of time where it's best to go see them. This one is DEFINITELY showing its age, though it's kind of funny how the truncated form of the show is. You get all of the Beast's cartoonish anger and rage, yet none of his heroism or character development, so it's literally just "The Beast apologizes and so Belle instantly knows he's a great person". Interesting to see them use the same 6 people for all the "background" bits and give them some notable dances during scenes, even though their backgrounders- I think this is to make those supplementary roles "worthwhile" and not something an actor would grow to resent, haha.

The day I finally got to ride Slinky Dog Dash, lol.

TOY STORY LAND:
-Okay, so FINALLY, near the very end of the day, I managed to get on Slinky Dog. It had a 30-40 minute wait, and I wasn't gonna see a better one. I joked with a CM there that coasters at least never seem to break down, but he promptly corrected me. "You were VERY lucky" he said, to not have seen this one break down. This was indeed a lot of fun, though, and is MUCH better at night with all the bright lights everywhere. It's not really a "thrill ride" or even more hardcore than Big Thunder (much less Space Mountain), but it's nice and you can see the characters and such. The queue has a solid design (though is BRUTAL if it's light out), especially once you get inside to the massive indoor switchback thing. I stayed near the drop-off point to repeatedly watch Slinky Dogs scoot through the Hot Wheels "light up" arches.

I actually managed a Midway Mania spot via G+. I'd missed this one last time I was here, because the lines were pretty bad and I left around 5pm. I also skipped it on Tokyo, because for some reason over there it's the most immensely busy attraction in either park! I seem decently good at it, but I find scores that are preposterously huge- are these people who play all the time, or just know the tricks? Again, it's got a good queue. Unfortunately I didn't go on the Alien Spin thingie, like last time- it's a pretty neat attraction with an interesting, complex design, but the wait wasn't justifiable to me.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Still waiting for this one to come back, dated as it is.

OTHER STUFF:
SO! Mickey's Runaway Railway! I managed to snag this twice! I bought one "guaranteed spot", and found it pretty entertaining... though we were absolutely jammed into the big "train car" thing and then it broke down partway through (at the carnival scene), which kind of dampened things... then we passed a room with a blank cone in the middle (the tornado scene, as I'd realize later). I do admire the trackless technology; it's kind of funny how it's become the "New Big Thing" in theme park snobbery, as many big attractions now have it. Here it's pretty good, and makes solid use of the big screens and variety of interesting things to look at, "Hobo Goofy" and all. I kept wanting to see how the "explosion in the screen" thing happens in the "introductory from the queue" thing, but I missed it the second go-around, lol.

When the "Castle Show" thing started, I dove right into the queue again- it had a VERY short wait (something like 15 minutes?) and found it a flawless ride this time around. I saw the full "tornado scene" and everything. I tried to spot the "Pluto Backstory" thing that the Disney Food Blog pointed out, but only saw him a couple of times- you might have to be in the right position to see it. Though I do like this attraction, I LOVED the Movie Ride and don't see why they couldn't have just built this wherever. BOO TO GETTING RID OF THE MOVIE RIDE! I only ever got to ride it once!

I found the tail end of the Castle Show after I left the ride, and it went on a WHILE afterwards- this one actually seems to be the most packed with "actual stuff from the movies" with scenes and things playing on multiple parts of the Chinese Theater. The night ended on a great note when I was waiting for the second Railway ride, though- I randomly checked my phone and found that my Touring Plans Reservation Finder had a hit! Be Our Guest for tomorrow afternoon! BAM! I snapped it up, somehow not missing it (you literally have to get it in SECONDS, people warned me), and had my much-desired reservation for the next afternoon! Pretty crazy coincidence.

FOODSTUFFS:
-This was probably the least "good" I ate on my trip, as I just couldn't find a reservation ANYWHERE (you really do have to get them early, even at the minor places)- the '50s diner, the other things around the main street, etc. So I ultimately just went with the old standby I went with in 2019- the seafood-ish one in the boat. I do like "themed buildings" for food. One day I might try Brown Derby or one of the other diners (in 2014 I know I was at the Sci-Fi Diner... not sure if that was available at this time).

Bizarrely, there was this ice cream/drink stall in the big boulevard to Twilight Zone and when I ordered something, it turned out they didn't have it. Since I couldn't think of another thing to get, I figured I'd just get a refund. Except the dude didn't know how to do it, and had to call someone. And I ended up waiting like TEN MINUTES to get my five bucks back. After a few I was thinking "geez maybe I should just get a cheaper thing" but the whole time I'm thinking the person would be right over. But nope- they took forever and then I got a refund and went to get the aforementioned slush drink I had to slam because it was already time for the Frozen show, haha. Very weird. What even is that?

At the end of the night near closing, I was in the "Guest Services" thing taking pictures of the various "Park History" photos on the walls and reading the info- something I often like to do as the day winds down. This time I eavesdropped on some heated conversation as two guys had apparently been "stuck on Rise of the Resistance" for three hours and thus missed out on a ton of things at the park ("We missed Slinky Dog and..."). The big burly CM was pretty much going back & forth with them on all sorts of stuff as they wanted a free parkhopper for the next day and he was just NOT having it ("I can't give you a parkhopper- you guys DID have all day in the park"). I'm not sure how those two managed to be stuck on the ride for that long- that WAS the duration of its breakdown that day, but they'd obviously let you off it at some point. I think they must have been insisting on staying there to not waste their spot in line, maybe? I'd have loved to know more, but nobody likes an eavesdropper and I ran out of stuff to photograph so I left, lol. But let it be known that Guest Relations is NOT there to just hand out all sorts of free stuff- Disney actually appears pretty hardcore on this sort of thing.