Spiderman No way home

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

Spiderman No way home

Post by catsi563 »

No spoilers for now but i can say with no reservations this movie is AMAZING SPECTACULAR SUPERIOR ULTIMATE SENSATIONAL all in one go probably one of the best of the spiderman films if not THE best
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Re: Spiderman No way home

Post by Davies »

Finally saw it. NOT impressed.
Spoiler
So most of this film is about teamwork and how having a good support system can mean the difference between success and failure. We see this from the very start where Matt Murdock shows up to help keep Peter out of the jam that the first movie put him in. We see it when the three Spideys join up. We see it when Otto, restored to sanity, goes to great lengths to help the young man who helped him. We see it when Ned and MJ both insist that no matter how much trouble it's caused them, they are still glad to be part of Peter's life. And what is the finale of this tale?

Peter cuts them out of his life and lives an isolated existence, ostensibly for their good.

NOT. COOL.

The rest of the movie was fine, maybe great. But that ending betrays everything that lead up to it.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Re: Spiderman No way home

Post by greycrusader »

Davies wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:10 am Finally saw it. NOT impressed.
Spoiler
So most of this film is about teamwork and how having a good support system can mean the difference between success and failure. We see this from the very start where Matt Murdock shows up to help keep Peter out of the jam that the first movie put him in. We see it when the three Spideys join up. We see it when Otto, restored to sanity, goes to great lengths to help the young man who helped him. We see it when Ned and MJ both insist that no matter how much trouble it's caused them, they are still glad to be part of Peter's life. And what is the finale of this tale?

Peter cuts them out of his life and lives an isolated existence, ostensibly for their good.

NOT. COOL.

The rest of the movie was fine, maybe great. But that ending betrays everything that lead up to it.
I put this movie in the same category as Endgame; a rousing crowd-pleaser, chock-a-block with solid performances, really well-directed action scenes, and all sorts of entertaining bits for comic book fans...which also derails multiple character arcs and makes no sense if one thinks about the premises for more than a moment. I agree the ending betrays the intended Aesop; and aside from involving one of my least favorite tropes in genre fiction, it also subverts any intended lessons about maturity and taking responsibility. Magical solutions that make a problem go away are NOT in keeping with messages about growing up. Also, did the series really have to kill off THAT character just so the writers could get the "With great power..." line in the movie?

I DO think part of this, perhaps much of the developments, were driven by Sony wanting to get the cinematic Spider-Man back to the status-quo of the comic books (which long ago devolved into often needless angst, IMHO); whether Tom Holland continues in the role is yet to be determined, as is the question of any further involvement with the MCU. So having the character "re-set" makes sense for the studio. However, we've already seen the "classic" Spider-Man, living hand-to-mouth, unlucky in love, and harried by JJ Jameson--the Tobey Maguire version. We've also had the hipster-smart-aleck Ultimate Marvel U Peter Parker, the Andrew Garfield iteration. The MCU gave us a chance for something familiar but fresher, and I liked it. I hope THAT Spider-Man isn't quite done yet.

All my best.