[D&D5e] The Uncannyverse

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Uncanny

Re: [D&D5e] The Uncannyverse

Post by Uncanny »

Royal Twi'lek

Ability Score Increase: Wisdom +2, Dexterity +1.

Size: Medium.

Speed: 35 ft.

Seductive: You have advantage on Charisma checks made to seduce any creature that can understand you. This could be persuasion, deception, intimidation, or performance depending on how the action is performed.

Royal Proficiencies: Deception, Performance, Persuasion.

Dark Vision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light, you can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey

Hunter's Intuition: When you make a Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.

Finder's Magic: You can cast the Hunter's Mark spell with this trait, Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast the Locate Object spell with it. Once you cast either spell with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, and communicate in the silent speech of the Twi'lek

EDIT 1: Background coming later, also this is my 100th post
Last edited by Uncanny on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--I have a question: Why are you giving Bards their own race in your game? They already try to seduce everything with a compatible body part, giving them a race practically DESIGNED for leaning into that trope is Overkill don't you think?!(i'm just kidding you, Twi'liks are one of the more intresting Races out there.Nice Pick. :P)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--and congrats on the 100th post! WWWWOOOOO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: Bard's don't get enough love, hell they haven't really been a 'good' class option until 5th edition. (Making them full casters was the fix)

Glad to see you like Twi'lek's because I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with lore to explain how they exist in the Uncannyverse, I'm also having trouble narrowing down a continent for these folks. I'm thinking Southern Earth Kingdom near Toph Bei Fong's city.

In the meanwhile here is my version of the Goblin. Their homeland will be based near the Red Wastes of southern Essos. The city of Qarth will be their capital, and their culture will be heavily influenced by the Ferengi of Star Trek. The luck stealing trait listed by is based on the Ferengi rules of acquisition

Ferengi Wikipedia
Homebrew Goblin Ferengi variant

Ability Score Inrease. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Constitution increases by 1.

Age. Goblins are considered adults at age 6, elders
by age 28, and rarely live past 50 years of age.

Size. small

Speed. 30

Nimble Escape. You can take the Disengage or Hide
action as a bonus action on each of your turns

Fury of the Small. When you damage a creature with an attack
or a spell and the creature's size is larger than yours, you can cause
the attack or spell to deal extra damage to the creature. The extra
damage equals your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again
until you finish a short or long rest.

Well Read. You are proficient with calligrapher’s
supplies and in your choice of two of the following skills:
Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, and Religion.

Mischievous Talents. You gain proficiency with
two of the following skills of your choice: Acrobatics,
Deception, Insight, Perception, or Stealth.

Steal Fortune. When a creature you can see within 30
feet makes an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw,
you can use your reaction to give that roll disadvantage.
When you do, one ability check, attack roll, or saving
throw of your choice that you make within the next
minute gains advantage. Once you use this trait, you
can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Languages. You can speak Ferenginar a creole version of
the goblin language. While also being capable of reading, and
writing Common.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--Twi'liks need a Moisture-heavy Environment(IIRC), so plant 'em as either "Neighbors" of the Ferengi (making relations between the two resemble a Cold War) or in the closest place you have that's a Rainforest-like environment.You could either say how they got here is lost to history or they were originally a Slave Race of visiting Mind-Flayers who died while visiting the plane...
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: Thanks for the suggestions for Twi'Lek's. There is a large island from the Game of Thrones verse which would probably work I'll post details later, and I really like the Mind Flayer idea ...

Daedra Mark Inheritor Mark of Finding Great House d'Syndulla

Skill Proficiencies: Choose 2 from ; Arcana, Medicine, History, Performance

Language: Any one of your choice

Tool Proficiencies: Your choice of a gaming set or a musical instrument

Equipment A set of traveler's clothes, a signet ring, a set of fine clothes, and a pouch containing 50 gp

Feature: Arraigned Marriage , Spells of the Mark

Your bride or groom is primarily selected by a matchmaker provided by House d'Syndulla. You and your spouse are expected to produce a baby who will hopefully one day manifest the Mark.

Courtship and Betrothal rituals, Typically arranged by parents, grandparents or other relatives
1st level spells Faerie Fire, Longstrider
2nd level spells Locate animals or Plants, Locate Object

Day after the Wedding
3rd level spells Clairvoyance, Speak with Plants
4th level spells Divination, Locate Creature

After the birth of your first child
5th level spell Commune with Nature

EDIT 1: This background is available to royal Twi'Lek's. Any race can bear the Mark of Finding as a foundling, but they are limited to 5 racial traits, and must be medium sized.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--The Mind Flayer Origin works especially well since a majority of the Race act like Cthulhu-infused Pokemon Trainers and "Gotta Enslave 'em All!", but hadn't realized somebody in HR caught a Mew-Two race(Githyanki & Githzari were originally one race, but they both refuse to acknowledge it now) and paid for it...:D
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: You've given me so much to think about. I had planned to add both Githyanki & Githzari, but If Twi'lek, Ferengi, and the Chimer Elves all get involved in the revolt against the Mind Flayers then the situation becomes a interstellar affair. I had planned on making the Hippo - Head Napoleonic Firearm carrying Giff allies with the Mind Flayers, but they might need more backup. Maybe Neogi ?

Mephala the Daedric prince of Lies, Sex, Murder, and Secrets

Like all Daedric Princes, Mephala possesses no fixed gender. Unlike other princes however, she is called the "Androgyne" and as such is often perceived as having both male and female characteristics. She is known by the names Webspinner, Spinner, and Spider. Spider Daedra are the servants of Mephala, taking the form of spider-humanoid centaurs.

Mephala is clearly a fusion of Lolth the Drow Goddess, and the Sisters of Fate from Greek mythology. I will go into greater detail about Mephala when I introduce the Chimer Elves to the Uncannyverse.

Daedric Princes are the Elder Scrolls equivalent of Demon Lords. They are not usually nice to mortals, but 3 stand out as being more benevolent then the others. Azura, Boethiah, and Mephala. These 3 are responsible for three separate races in Tamriel (Chimer & Dunmer Elves, and Orcs). Because these Daedric Princes have spheres of influence they affect creative endeavor's they don't like to see their worshipper's in bondage. The 3 great houses which were founded by these Daedric Princes form a effective Tribunal against the slave trade.

Eastern Tamriel, and Western Essos all have cites, and provinces which participate in the slave trade. Must slaves either end up on the 'Vampire coast', or in orbit on one of the fleet of spaceships the Mind Flayer's own. The Guild's are 'neutral' about the trade, but many of Great Houses openly participate, and each of the major religions has it own opinions about the situation. Slaves can be any race. All humanoids have blood, and brains that the slavers find useful.

EDIT 1: I planned to add details about House d'Syndulla and their involvement with the' Twin Lamps' a anti slavery faction, but I realize I have to create lore for that, and I find it helps when I create the mechanics first. So I probably won't fully explain how the lore fits into the Uncannyverse until after I create the Great House of the Chimer Elves of the Mark of Shadow, and the Orc Great House, I also need a variant goblin based on the saibamen of Dragonballz, and finish up the Great House of the Ferengi. Once that is done I'll have a clearer image of how the Mind flayers fit into the Uncannyverse.

EDIT 2: The 'Vampire Coast' Is a concept taken from Warhammer Fantasy, but applied to Asshai in the Uncannyverse
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

List of Daedric Princes with their spheres of influence, and the Dragonmark they will be associated with in the Uncannyverse

Azura – A Prince who maintains/draws power from the balance of night and day, light and dark
Mark of Shadow

Boethiah – The Prince of deceit, secrecy, conspiracy, treason, and unlawful overthrow of authority.
Mark of Detection

Clavicus Vile – The Prince of deals, pacts, power, bargains, and serenity through wish fulfillment.
Mark of Scribing

Hermaeus Mora – The formless Daedric Prince of knowledge and memory, seeks to possess all that is knowable.
Mark of Making

Hircine – The Prince of the hunt, sport, the Great Game, and the Chase.
Mark of Handling

Malacath – The Prince whose sphere is the patronage of the spurned and ostracized
Mark of Sentinel

Mehrunes Dagon – The Prince of destruction, violent upheaval, energy, and mortal ambition.
Mark of Storm

Mephala – The Prince of unknown plots and obfuscation, a master manipulator, a sower of discord.
Mark of Finding

Meridia – The Prince of the energies of all living things, enemy of the undead and all who disrupt the flow of life
Mark of Healing

Nocturnal – The Prince of the night and darkness, the patron of all things secretive
Mark of Warding

Peryite – The Taskmaster, the Daedric Prince of Pestilence, desires order in his domain.
Mark of Passage

Sanguine – The Prince of hedonism, debauchery, and the further indulgences of one's darker nature.
Mark of Hospitality

EDIT 1: I'm having a problem figuring out how the greedy Ferengi wouldn't be a part of the slave trade. I'm designing another goblin variant which will hopefully give me more options. btw if any of you lurkers have comments I would love to see them.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--the Feregi would want to be part of ALL trade, not just the Slave trade. After all, rule #9 of The Rules Of Aquisitionstates "Opportunity plus Instinct equals Profit". They'd probably turn right back around & help the Mind Flayers! 'Cause let's not forget rule #6 "Never let Family stand in the way of opportunity."....
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@macynSnow: Your right about the Ferengi really wasn't expecting you to quote from the rules of acquisition but I appreciate it. Honestly I just don't want to have star wars and star trek races to be at each others throats for no reason but I guess the slave trade is a valid reason for these two groups to be adversaries

EDIT 1: posted this from work there r probably a couple spelling errors
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--from a GM perspective, you COULD always set it up as a "Cold War": both sides know they'll destroy each other in open conflict or be easily picked off afterward.So they go the Spy route, just like the US & Russia did for almost Three Generations of humanity. Publicly, their the frienliest of people to each other ....When behind closed doors, they slit each others' throats faster than the Red Wedding.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: True I could have the Ferengi publicly be against Slavery, but secretly endorse the trade. Now I have to figure out how the Chimer/Dunmer Elves fit into this equation. In the Elder Scrolls Morrowind they were the only province in the Empire with a significant slave population. I guess that could explain why the slave trade exists in the Uncannyverse. Because the Twi'Leks are trying to combat a global problem with partners who constantly undermine their efforts.

Saibamen Dragonball Wiki
Homebrew Saibamen Goblin Variant

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your charisma score by 1

Age: Reach maturity after 1 minute, and live up to 20 years

Size: small

Speed: 30 feet

Martial Training. You are proficient in two martial weapons of your choice, and with light armor

Sneaky. You are proficient in the stealth skill

Pack Tactics. You have advantage on a attack roll against a creature if at least one of your allies
is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for up to 15 minutes at a time

Legacy of Avernus. You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the
Searing Smite spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you
finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Branding Smite spell once with this trait
and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Goblin, and one language of your choice.

Alright this my version of the Saibamen from the Dragonballz franchise. These guys showed early in the series. When Vegeta first showed up on Earth he battled the Z fighters with their help. (Not that he really need it) They are born form seeds which are planted in the ground, and sprinkled with water. A short time later these little green guys pop out of the soil ready to do battle.

I combined a few traits from the Bugbear, Hobgoblin, Kobold, and a Zariel Tiefling subrace. I also added a trait from the lizard folk to reflect their odd birthing process. I couldn't find a race with a burrow speed, but then again that might be because it would be a overpowered trait to give a PC.

EDIT: I'm thinking of giving this guys resistance, but I'll have to playtest them first to see how durable they actually are during combat

EDIT 2: I still have to make stats of the Royal Ferengi
Last edited by Uncanny on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Royal Ferengi of House d'Medani

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence increases by 2, and your wisdom increases by 1

Age. Goblins are considered adults at age 6, elders
by age 28, and rarely live past 50 years of age.

Size. small

Speed. 30 feet

Well Read. You are proficient with calligrapher’s
supplies and in your choice of two of the following skills:
Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, and Religion.

Mischievous Talents. You gain proficiency with
two of the following skills of your choice: Acrobatics,
Deception, Insight, Perception, or Stealth.

Steal Fortune. When a creature you can see within 30
feet makes an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw,
you can use your reaction to give that roll disadvantage.
When you do, one ability check, attack roll, or saving
throw of your choice that you make within the next
minute gains advantage. Once you use this trait, you
can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Deductive Intuition. When you make an Intelligence (Investigation) or a Wisdom (Insight) check, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check

Magical Detection. You can cast the Detect Magic and Detect Poison and Disease spells with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast the See Invisibility spell with it. Once you cast any of these spells with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells, and you don't require material components for them.

Alright I just have to create a background for House d'Medani. I also have to update the royal minotaur with the Mark of Scribing I posted a few weeks ago. That would knock out 4 of the 12 Great houses.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--so far, so good ! Just "keep that nose to the grindstone" and you'll have it knocked out by the end of the month, at the latest! :D :D :D