Updated Rules for Images and Art on Echoes

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Ares
Site Admin

Updated Rules for Images and Art on Echoes

Post by Ares »

A heads up for everyone: Echoes is having it's first major rules update, this time regarding the images posted here and how to properly credit the artists and creators involved.

Pleased read about it here:

http://echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewto ... 32a42da047

And if you have any questions, please share them here.

-Ares
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Re: Updated Rules for Images and Art on Echoes

Post by Batgirl III »

This seems like a sensible way to balance doing things the way we always have, protecting the rights of artists, and covering our host’s butt.

I will confess that many of my “original character” builds are created by getting an original idea for a character, building it, and then poking around on Google Image Search until I find something I like... and I very rarely ever pay attention to the original artist. This is a bad habit and I’ll try to stop.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That's much the same with me. I'll try my best to use sources whenwver I can, and to avoid art that I can't.

Or maybe I should just start doing my own art for characters again.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

All easy to understand and do. Thanks Ares!
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Since i grab most of my stuff from Alamy stock photos, i'm good right?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:16 am Since i grab most of my stuff from Alamy stock photos, i'm good right?
If you buy them, maybe. Depends on the terms of service at Alamy whether you can share those stock photos unmodified.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Let's hope. If Ares say's no, i won't use 'em
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:16 am Since i grab most of my stuff from Alamy stock photos, i'm good right?
What kind of account do you have with them? Is it a site where you have to pay per image or you pay a subscription to get access to the images? Do you have to pay extra to host them on a website?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

It does all come down to the Alamy terms of service and terms of sale.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:40 pm
What kind of account do you have with them? Is it a site where you have to pay per image or you pay a subscription to get access to the images? Do you have to pay extra to host them on a website?
No account, it's a site used mostly by HS Papers & Small Businesses to pick up those "Generic Scientist in labcoat" image stuff, and as far as i know it's all free so long as you can see the Alamy name.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

https://www.alamy.com/licenses-and-pricing/

Personnel use says 19.99 for the license. I didn't look too much beyond the first page
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

The rules for posting another persons artwork are fair and reasonable. In the past I had not done that but will credit the artist going forward. Do the same rules apply for photos of actors or actresses posted with character builds?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

CaptainChaos wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:04 pm The rules for posting another persons artwork are fair and reasonable. In the past I had not done that but will credit the artist going forward. Do the same rules apply for photos of actors or actresses posted with character builds?
Most actor photographs have a copyright holder: the photographer. And if it comes from a movie screen cap, then the owner of the movie is the copyright holder.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

CaptainChaos wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:04 pm The rules for posting another persons artwork are fair and reasonable. In the past I had not done that but will credit the artist going forward. Do the same rules apply for photos of actors or actresses posted with character builds?
Generally speaking, most actors and films have enough popularity that citation is unnecessary, much like Marvel or DC. However, if the actor, photographer or film company contacts you to ask for citation or removal, respect their request.