JDRook's Revised DCA Builds - Blaze! Blockbuster(s)! Lady Vic!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
JDRook

Re: JDRook's Revised DCA Builds - Ambush Bug! Animal Man!

Post by JDRook »

Source link

Ambush Bug - PL 9

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting -1, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 5

Advantages
Benefit, Cipher 4, Evasion, Improved Initiative 2, Improvised Weapon 2, *Luck 5*, Redirect, Seize Initiative, Sidekick, Taunt, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+0), Deception 8 (+13), Expertise: DC Comics 17 (+18), Insight 5 (+8), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 11 (+14), Persuasion 8 (+13)

Powers

*POP!: Teleport 19 (2000 miles in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity)
. . And You’re Coming With Me!: Teleport Attack 13 (Alternate; 30 miles in a move action, carrying 3200 lbs., DC 23; Accurate, Attack: Parry, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 6; Quirk: Must teleport with target of attack)
Popping Over to Earth-C: Movement 3 (Dimensional 3: any dimension, 50 lbs.)*

But Under the Green Suit I Bruise Like a Peach!: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness; Subtle: subtle)
Deputy Continuity Cop: Senses 1 (Awareness: Continuity)
That’s Not in My Contract: Luck Control 1 (Negate Luck)

Equipment
50 feet of silk rope, Copy of DC Adventures Hero’s Handbook, Turkey club sandwich

Offense
Initiative +9
And You’re Coming With Me!: Teleport Attack 13, -1 (DC Parry 23)
Grab, -1 (DC Spec 10)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications
In a Game: Bad enough that I’ve had to deal with agents and comic editors determining my fate. Now I have to trust what happens to dice?
Out of Milk: Not much of a complication, you say? You try getting down to the corner bodega to pick up a pint at your next game session without the Fearsome Five or the Legion of Super-Pets tearing the place up.

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 6, Fortitude 3, Toughness 10, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 18 + Powers 81 + Advantages 19 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 166

As I've mentioned, I never collected comics when I was young mainly because I didn't have the money, but I would browse other people's collections or find old battered copies while visiting family and such, and one of the first ones I remember was this one:
Source
My first encounter with a 4th wall breaking self-aware comic character, years before Deadpool would become a breakout hit.

A creation of Keith Giffen, Ambush Bug's original pitch was "Bugs Bunny as a supervillain" and in the beginning he was fighting against Superman and the JLA, but due to good reader response they had him come back to try his hand at heroing. With only teleportation and the awareness he was a comic book character, he managed to get two miniseries and several specials full of his own brand of self-referential madcap antics.

His powers are a bit of a mess, unfortunately. The base teleport is fine, but the AE is an attack that allows him to teleport others, with a Quirk that he goes with them, but technically that can't work as a AE since it would mean turning off his base. It would be simpler to just have him Grab someone as an attack and teleport, although his Grab and really all of his offensive abilities are way below PL, so it would only work consistently on subjects who are either voluntary or unaware.

The Better Build
POP!: Teleport 19 (2000 miles in a move action, carrying 3200 lbs.; Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 6)
. . Popping Over to Earth-C: Movement 3 (Alternate; Dimensional 3: any dimension, 50 lbs.)

This array ends up being simpler, the exact same cost and pretty much the same functionality as long as the player is aware that they can Grab a target as an Attack Action and Teleport away with them as a Move Action, much the same way a character with Flight or any movement power and STR 6 could scoop someone up and Move with them. It also has the option to make the Dimensional Movement strong enough to bring others as well for no added cost if desired. To be fair, the designer obviously wanted an explicit power for the function dragging others along for teleports and may not have been aware that it could be done simpler, and a player might not be aware of the utility of a power without some explanation or an evocative power name, and mechanical explanations of powers use up valuable column inches.

Of course, Ambush Bug is a silly character so it's all really in the name of fun. A GM would probably bring in Ambush Bug or someone like him to lighten the mood of a game, as well as provide some exposition and transportation for a team, effectively a tour guide for the DC universe or whatever campaign-verse you have made. So it doesn't really matter that his combat skills are abysmal, his PL9 is purely from defenses and technically his Luck can't be 5 ranks--

Wait, don't take my Luck! Rerolling dice is one of my favorite things!

Ahhh! How did you get in here?

Hello?!? Accurate Teleport? You just menu-grabbed it in HeroLab! Now let me keep my Luck! It's half-PL rounded up, right?

Technically it's rounded dow--

Oh, "technically," is it? "Technically" my suit is supposed to make me invulnerable, like uh . . . (picks up DC H&V Volume 2, dramatically licks his finger and starts flipping through) like . . . like . . oh, like my old chum Superman! See there: Invulnerability! Where's my Environmental Immunity? Where's my 18 ranks of nerfed Impervious Toughness? That rounds up, of course, but when it's something in MY build--

Look, it's not a big deal. You'd probably be a GM-NPC anyway so it's not like little issues like that would matter--

WHAT? (grabs me by the lapels) Are you saying I'm not playable? C'mon, I'm a lot of fun, and there's all that retro-80s nostalgia I can tap into, right?

Well, I guess you've got really good interaction skills and a lot of supporting Advantages for them, so besides being a Team Face and Bus Driver, you could be a reasonable trickster. Between Deception, Redirect and your Teleporting you could probably Trick pretty well in combat, potentially getting opponents to hurt themselves or attack each other.

How about Agile Feint so I can use my Teleport Ranks for Deception checks? I know you love a good Agile Feinter!

Well, it's a little more Nightcrawler than your character, but yeah if a GM is cool with it. I mean Teleport is a Movement effect and--

--and while we're at it, how about some Attractive and Wealth ranks? I think I could really nail the billionaire playboy vibe, and I could make it worth your while . . .

That's not how I-- Are you rerolling your Persuasion Check?

. . . maybe . . .

Source

Cheeks the Toy Wonder - PL 0

Strength -5, Stamina -5, Agility -5, Dexterity -5, Fighting 1, Intellect 2, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Powers
*Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects)*

Offense
Initiative -5
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 5)
Throw, -5 (DC 10)
Unarmed, +1 (DC 10)

Defense
Dodge -5, Parry 1, Fortitude Immune, Toughness -5, Will 0

Power Points
Abilities -34 + Powers 30 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 0 = -4

Every good hero needs a sidekick, and Ambush Bug has Cheeks. I added on the Fortitude Immunity since Cheeks is in fact a t--

--tough as nails vigilante of vengeance?

No a t--

--truly gifted student of a wise and powerful mentor?

A t--

--terminator-like robot from the future here to save us all?

(sigh) Whatever. I recall immediately thinking of Cheeks while watching the Tick and first seeing Little Wooden Boy.

Wait a minute! A bug-themed hero with a screw loose and an animatedly-challenged partner? I need to call my agent.
JDRook

Re: JDRook's Revised DCA Builds - Ambush Bug! Animal Man!

Post by JDRook »

Source link
Source link
Source link

Animal Man - PL 11/7*

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Animal Empathy, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Defensive Roll 3, Improved Defense, Move-by Action, Redirect

Skills
Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Expertise: Animal Powers 8 (+9), Expertise: Animal Rights 5 (+6), Expertise: Environmentalism 5 (+6), Insight 4 (+7), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 6 (+8)

Powers
Animal Mimicry: Variable 8 (Physical Traits of Animals, 40p) (Action: move) - *64p*

Sample Power Settings
Animal Senses (Powers: Senses: Senses 8, Perception +8 (+15))
Hawk Flight & Hawk Sight (Powers: Flight: Flight 2, Senses: Senses 2)
Nimbleness (Traits: Agility +3 (+4), Acrobatics +8 (+9), Stealth +16 (+17), Athletics +12 (+18))
Whale Strength & Toughness (Powers: Protection 5, Strength +10 (+12), Stamina +5 (+8), Advantages: Great Endurance)

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 12)
Throw, +1 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 17)

Complications
Passion vs Depression: Animal Man is courageous in battle and a passionate advocate for animal rights. Prone to depression, he often quits his Animal Man career to pursue a “normal” life, but his civilian periods are usually brief, as he is unable resist a call to action. Animal Man’s self-doubt is his greatest weakness, but he can still be counted on to rally against evil, with or without his animal powers.
Relationship: Buddy has a wife, Ellen, and two children, Cliff and Maxine. He struggles to balance his heroic adventures with his familial duties as a husband and father.

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/3, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 64 + Advantages 9 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 142

Animal Man aka Bernhard "Buddy" Baker has a surprising amount of flexibility as a character, and I'm not talking about his Variable, but his history. Given powers by crashed aliens when their ship accidentally exploded him, he did the local hero thing, then retired, became a stuntman and married his high school sweetheart. Later he's pulled into a team by Immortal Man with a bunch of retired heroes to stop Vandal Savage, and then back to retirement. He's been a militant animal rights activists, he's been lost in space, he's been an animal god, and he's died and come back more times than he's retired. And he does it all in this "everyman family man" frame which helps ground these fantastic adventures. He's had a lot of great writers and artists on his books, too, so there's defintely something about Buddy.

As a build, his Animal Powers are central, and like many Variable builds, a little thin otherwise. Without his powers, he's PL7 defensively on Fort/Will and PL6 on the rest of his defenses, and PL5 in unarmed combat, which is all pretty good for a stuntman, but nothing world-shaking. The DCA book says he's PL11, which gives a lot of latitude to his Variable, although just based on totals he'd be underpointed for a PL10, and that's even after I fixed the Variable Cost. ("Physical Traits of Animals" is a Descriptor, not a Flaw; it could arguably be a Flaw in some cases, but not when you can use traits from any animal in the UNIVERSE!)

A few issues: he has no Deception Skill, which I guess you don't necessarily need as a stuntman, although it makes his Redirect pretty weak even if he uses Beginner's Luck. His Move-By Action is also limited unless he cranks up his movement with his Variable. I was trying out building a few animal powersets to have ready in HeroLab, and would highly recommend having some kind of similar notes for a player so they can pull out one of their top five favourite animal tricks without having to use Wikipedia every time they use their power.

The biggest oversight on this one was in the layout. Most of the characters get about a page and a half of space shared between the statblock, art, and character background. Buddy's history was so detailed and chewy and took up so much space I almost didn't notice that he had NO COMPLICATIONS in his statblock. The ones above are cribbed from his history, but you could easily give him several more.

It would be very easy to make Buddy an RtP build just by saying he's PL10 and giving him those extra points to cover Deception, Defenses and a few other knickknacks. Functionally his animal powers are best suited for close fighting and reconnaissance, but hopefully a player takes full advantage of his Complications as well as his Variable.
JDRook

Re: JDRook's Revised DCA Builds - Aquaman & his Aquatic Friends!

Post by JDRook »

Source

Aquaman - PL 12

Strength 10, Stamina 8, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 11, Intellect 2, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Benefit, Status 3: King of Atlantis, Defensive Roll 3, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Improved Initiative, Languages 1 (presumably Atlantean and native English), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment)

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 4 (+14), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+13), Expertise: Atlantean Lore 7 (+9), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Throw 6 (+8), Stealth 4 (+8), Technology 3 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+5)

Powers

Marine Telepathy: 57p pool + 2 AE = 59p
. . Summon Marine Life: Summon 4 (Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 4: 16 minions, Type (General): Marine Life; Limited: in or near water) - {45} 1p
. . Summon Marine Life: Summon 8 (Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 2: 4 minions, Type (General): Marine Life; Limited: in or near water) - 57p
. . Talk To Fish - {20} 1p
. . . . Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand)
. . . . Mental Communication 4

Aquatic
. . Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Suffocation: Drowning)
. . Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Aquatic)
. . Senses 1 (Low-light Vision)

Swimming 10 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +11 (DC Spec 20)
Throw, +8 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +13 (DC 25)

Complications
Relationship: Aquaman has a wife, Mera, ties with his former ward, Tempest, and his friends in Atlantis.
Responsibility: As King of Atlantis, Aquaman must attend to the needs of his people and his duty to the Seven Seas, which can occasionally come into conflict with his responsibilities to the JLA.
Temper: Aquaman is known for his fierce temper.
Weakness: Aquaman dehydrates when away from water for an extended period of time, becoming impaired, disabled, and finally incapacitated before his condition becomes life threatening. Immersion in water immediately removes all accumulated conditions.

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 11, Toughness 11/8, Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 86 + Powers 75 + Advantages 13 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 217

Our first founding Justice League member, Aquaman's reputation is on the rise thanks to a successful theatrical release helping people forget the guy in orange from the Super Friends cartoon. Of course his history actually goes back much further, much like the other JLers; Aquaman will actually be 80 next November. Various highlights include fighting Nazi U-boats with the All-Star Squadron, having an octopus sidekick for a short period, and having the first "on-camera" wedding in comics. The DCA book as usual focuses on the post-Crisis, pre-52 Aquaman, but there are still a few variants on him.

In terms of playability, DCA Aquaman is essentially a Paragon/Warrior who swims instead of flies, so while that's relatively limited travel capacity, he's no less effective than any other Paragon in most other situations. He's a little below cap with a PL11.5 for unarmed offense, although that does happen to leave room for weapons combat (see below). Defensively he's again a little low with 11 across the boards, but his Favored Environment makes up the difference both offensively and defensively. His only problem is his specialization; basically he's more than serviceable anywhere, and undeniably ahead of the curve in the ocean and especially in his (!!!) kingdom of Atlantis, but if you have a lot of adventures that aren't water-based AND a roster of superheroes with other specialties that aren't so location-dependent, you get left out a lot. As a GM, the obvious choice to throw in an ocean adventure every once in a while, but you could also spotlight a PC Aquaman by having his enemies show up committing on-land crimes, or showcase his royalty with high-level head of state meetings and other poltical intrigue.

On the other hand, as a GM NPC, I think Aquaman could be a valuable ally or a deadly threat, or even both. Facing an antagonist Aquaman on his home turf could be devastating for a team used to working on land, and his summoning of sea creatures could easily challenge an entire group of PCs. As the superpowered King of Atlantis, he could simply be a point of contact for any deep ocean adventures, but he could also be an opponent to the PCs or whoever they might work for. Atlantis could be known, but isolationist and very protective of their waters, keeping individuals and nations out by political sanction or deadly force when necessary, and the PCs have to get some MacGuffin from there, etc. They could be actively hostile to nations treating the oceans as their dumping grounds, or potential trade partners prepared to supply Atlantean tech to the world in exchange for ecological stewardship from the land-dwellers. Honestly I think Aquaman would make a better NPC and a really good villain overall.

Source
I wonder how long the discussion on whether he should dye his hair blond took?

Now, on to my favourite, most pedantic part: the mechanics and the metaphors! First, let's talk about that Marine Telepathy. Summon got some tough edits going from the old M&M2e to the 3e/DCA ruleset, and some of that shows here with how expensive it is to get multiple minions. The two Summon Marine Life array slots are presumably geared for summoning the two existing ranges of pre-made sea creatures in the book: up to 16 sharks or dolphins at PL 4, and up to 4 whales and (eventually in the GM Guide) giant squid at PL8. Summon in the DCA book specifically states that summoned creatures can't be higher PL than the Summon rank, but the Summon Power Profile directly addresses this:
Summoning Power Profile wrote:The GM may wish to bend or waive the requirement for an agent to have a PL equal to or less than the Summon rank; this makes the effect more flexible and does not penalize concepts based on relatively low-cost agents with power levels closer to the series limit. So long as the agents fall within the series power level limit, there should be little concern.
That same PP also introduces new Summon Modifiers: Responsive (+1) so you can give commands as a Free Action instead of a Move (also allowing for different commands to different agents); and Self-Powered (-1) which assumes the agents already exist and must travel to the summoner (no formal rules on how to represent this mechanically). Both of these actually fit well with Aquaman's summoning, so I put this together as an alternative:

Marine Telepathy: 22p pool + 3 AE = 25p
. . Summon Marine Life (Big): Summon 4 (Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions: 2 minions, Responsive, Type (General): Marine Life; Limited: in or near water, Self-Powered) {21p}
. . Summon Marine Life (Medium): Summon 3 (Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 2: 4 minions, Responsive, Type (General): Marine Life; Limited: in or near water, Self-Powered) {22p}
. . Summon Marine Life (Tiny Swarm): Summon 1 (Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 8: 256 minions, Responsive, Type (General): Tiny Swarming Marine Life; Self-Powered) {21p}
. . Talk To Fish {14p}
. . . . Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand; Broad Type: Sea Creatures)
. . . . Mental Communication 4 (Limited: Sea Creatures)

The Big Summon is for your whales and giant squid at PL8 and Growth 12 and allows for a pair of them or one of each (or whatever big creature you clear with your GM); there's a little wiggle room for a little more Growth if you want slightly bigger fauna. The Medium Summon gives you dolphins and sharks at PL4; again, there's room for different sizes, with space for up to Growth 6 or about the size of a Great White. The Tiny Swarm is my own variation based on the suggestion of controlling fish swarms in the DCA writeup and the Insect Swarm in the GM Guide:
Marine Swarm - PL 3
Strength 0*, Stamina 0, Agility 3, Dexterity -2, Fighting 0, Intellect -, Awareness 0, Presence -
*Insub 2 means no effective STR
Powers
Swarm Dynamics
. . Many Tiny Fish: Insubstantial 2 (Swarm; Innate; Permanent)
. . Swimming 4 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
. . Swirling Attack: Shapeable Area Affliction 3 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, DC 13; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 13)
Offense: Initiative +3, Swirling Attack: Shapeable Area Affliction 3 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 13), Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)
Defense: Dodge 3, Parry 0, Fortitude 0, Toughness 0, Will None
Power Points: Abilities -18 + Powers 21 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 3
This swarm is built mainly for getting in the way, swimming around targets and blocking senses, simulated here with Impair/Disable/Unaware. Other Afflictions could easily be used like Snaring or electrical Stunning or even straight Damage. The 256 possible minions is more an artifact of how cheaply you can make a minion like this, but does make it conceivable for Aquaman to summon hundreds of schools and literally a million individual fish.

Altogether you have an array that is as flexible as the original and better defined for less than half the cost, and you can still power stunt a kraken if you want to. A GM will want to watch the number of minions closely on these for PCs; it's going to vary table to table, but really anything going into the double-digits or more is too many actions per round for one player. Keep in mind the default minion is Dazed, so even with Responsive a summoner can only get a minion to use a Move OR Standard action evey turn, not both. Active or even Heroic is a possibility, but not recommended for more than one minion.

Self-Powered is a good concept for an Extra but not mechanically defined, so it's up to a GM to make that discount count. The most obvious way is how long to delay the arrival of the minions, and I think 1 round per rank of Summon is a good guideline since you're saving 1p per rank, equal to a Move Activation every round but without actually eating your actions after the first round. This essentially makes the minions into "cavalry on the way", and the summoner can fight without them for a while or otherwise stall. Another way would be to think of it more like a Slow Flaw, with the summons showing up eventually (between 1min and 1hr) but not at combat-speed. These of course could be modified by the environment and the GM, since this narratively changes the Summon Effect from making agents appears from nowhere to gaining control of existing nearby agents.

The actual "talking to fish" part of Marine Telepathy is bought like it's not limited to fish in the DCA build, but it is less than half the cost of the array pool so they may not have bothered with the details of these obvious Flaws because of this. There's also the suggestion that Aquaman's telepathy can potentially affect more than fish, so there is room for some power-stunting; the DCA build does have the edge here since its massive array can stunt a pretty beefy PL12 Perception Range attack of some sort quite easily, while my 22p pool Array would be more limited.

source

The Warrior King section describes the period when Aquaman lost a hand and went a little nuts, replacing it with a harpoon head. It's eventually replaced by 2 different iterations: a cybernetic one made by STAR Labs, and a golden hand made with Atlantean tech that can reshape into anything, including Aquaman's favorite harpoon. Mechanically, the harpoon hand in the book is the cybernetic one, defined as Damage 2 (actually Strike 2 revealing the 2nd Edition bias of the designer) and Elongation 4 limited to the harpoon and cable for 4p. The original head would likely just be Damage 2, possibly with Improved Crit like a short sword. The golden hand is probably best described as a rank 1 Variable, able to simulate close weapons, the harpoon, and a normal hand, with final cost dependent on how fast you want the change to be (I favour Move Action for a 7p Variable 1).
Last edited by JDRook on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'd add
Bronze Scale Mail Shirt: Protection 2, Unreliable (roll)

just because his orange shirt, to me, has always looked like scale mail.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Fun interview with the Ambush Bug. Thank you for sharing!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
scc

Post by scc »

I really like this and like seeing your opinions on the DCA builds. I know you are busy with these builds but someone out there needs to stat up Quantis. :)
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Ken wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:41 amI'd add
Bronze Scale Mail Shirt: Protection 2, Unreliable (roll)
just because his orange shirt, to me, has always looked like scale mail.
Pretty easy to add; it wouldn't even break his PL. Also, the wartime Aquaman is described repelling bullets just like Superman, which could be Impervious or just a manifestation of high Toughness, since so many people hate on Imperv.
Spectrum wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:27 pmFun interview with the Ambush Bug. Thank you for sharing!
Glad you liked it! Nothing like turning sitting in my room talking to myself into an entertainment outlet. :mrgreen:
scc wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:37 pmI really like this and like seeing your opinions on the DCA builds. I know you are busy with these builds but someone out there needs to stat up Quantis. :)
If Jabroniville rebuilds his koala, I'll be more than happy to add Growth ranks and Expertise: Golfing to it.

Still coming: More fish stories!
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

The Water Bearer

source

In another retuning of the character, there was a more mystical arc where Aquaman's missing hand is replaced by a water hand, given to him by the Lady of the Lake when she makes him The Water Bearer of the Secret Sea. Essentially it does everything the harpoon hands could do, plus a whole heap of magic, and even takes away his Weakness Complication. This is the DCA build:

Hand of the Water-Bearer
. . Communication: Senses 1 (Communication Link: Lady of the Lake)
. . Dehydration: Cumulative Affliction 12 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 22; Cumulative)*
. . Hand Weapons: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 27; Variable Descriptor: close group)
. . Healing Touch: Healing 12
. . Mystic Portals: Movement 2 (Dimensional: Mystic Dimensions 2: group, 50 lbs.; Portal)
. . Nullify Magic: Nullify 8 (Counters: Magical effects, DC 18; Broad, Simultaneous)
. . Scalding Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged)

but there's so much to say about this my pedantic little rules-lawyer heart barely knows where to start. So let's go down the list:

- Comm-Link with LotL is 1p, and should probably be outside the array so they can talk and he can still use the powers. ("Hey, Lady, can I call you back? I'm trying to psychically heal my archnemesis on the other line.") It's a small issue since the cost would be the same and is really just a layout adjustment; in practice this detail would probably be ignored anyway.
- Two for Dehydration
a) the standard effects of dehydration are in the Fatigue track, while this one uses Impairment. This isn't a bad thing, more of a clarification. I think Affliction attacks should be customized to your desired outcome as long as they fit the Descriptor, making thematic sense.
b) when looking for images I found this page with people asking about this particular attack, as no one had seen it in action even though it's listed in official power lists. Some pointed out that what looks like it might be dehydration is actually Nullify Magic used on water-based sorcery. But the big one is that LotL wants the Hand used for good and if Arthur doesn't play it like an Aqua-Paladin he's going to activate The Thirst (basically an Anti-Water Bearer) who will threaten the Secret Sea, etc. So what does this mean mechanically? For one, Dehydrate should be considered a power-stunt and not the base ability of the array. Also, the whole thing with the Thirst could make for an interesting Complication but is probably more of a plot device.
- Hand Weapons is a simple Damage 2, but my thinking is any transformable weapon should at least have Variable Descriptor to switch up Bludgeoning, Slashing and Piercing. It's also a 2p effect in a 24p array slot, so it's not like you can't afford to give it some pizzazz. It really should be able to do anything the previous hands can do without changing the overall cost of the array.
- Scalding Blast can apparently also be a Freezing Blast, which again could be a Variable Descriptor or a power stunt. It's also the only manifestation of pure hydrokinesis in the array, so it could be replaced with a water-based Damaging Move Object, or more likely a standard non-Damaging MO to satisfy the Aqua-Paladin thing.

There's several more powers that come up, including scrying, mind-reading and "mental repair", and even the hand detaching at one point while AQ was unconscious. The water hand opens up a lot of possibilities being magical, making it easy for all of these to be power stunts.

The Trident of Neptune/Poseidon/Atlan

source

This little tchotchke is NOT in the official book, and a while ago someone on the RA boards asked about it and I tried kludging together a build for it, which is now lost to the ethers. This seems like a good place to bring it back.

The Trident (Easily Removable (indestructible)) = 56 - 21 = 35p

. . Power of the Seas: Mental Communication 2 (Stacks with: Mental Communication 2+2) - 8p
. . True Heir of Atlantis: Enhanced Trait 7 (Advantages: Benefit, Status 7: Divine Ruler of the Seas) - 7p

. . The Powers of Poseidon - 36p pool + 5 AEs = 41p
. . . . Aquablast: Damage 16 (DC 31; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Water/Heat/Cold/Lightning/Energy)
. . . . Conjure and Manipulate Water I: Create 12 (Volume: 4000 cft., DC 22; Movable)
. . . . Conjure and Manipulate Water II: Move Object 12 (100 tons, DC 27; Damaging; Limited Material: Water)
. . . . Melee Combat
. . . . . . Trident: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 28, Advantages: Improved Critical, Improved Disarm; Reach (melee): 5 ft., Split: 2 targets)
. . . . . . Vulko's Fancy Defense: Deflect 16 (Reflect; Quirk 3: can't use Defensive Roll, Reduced Range: close)
. . . . Transform Living Creatures: Progressive Affliction 12 (3rd degree: Transformed, Resisted by: Will, DC 22; Increased Range: ranged, Progressive; Limited Degree (third only))
. . . . Weather Control: Environment 7 (Other: Variable 4, Radius: 1800 feet; Precise, Selective)

The Trident of (Whomever) is a weapon but also a conduit for all kinds of power, including political power, which I think I managed to capture for under 40p and still fit a PL12 Aquaman. To detail:

- Power of the Seas is just a booster that stacks with AQ's existing Telepathy, raising from rank 2 (1 mile) to rank 4 (worldwide), which is a nice way to shave points off the base AQ and add a little more non-combat functionality to the Trident.
- True Heir's cost may not be strictly necessary since AQ already has some blood claim to the throne (DCA has "King of Atlantis" as a 3p Benefit), but the Trident is definitely the Golden Snitch of Royal Atlantean Ascension, so I bought it with more points to stack up to 10p total status for "Divine Ruler of the Seas". Different tables may trim this down.
- Conjure and Manipulate Water is the two main effects of hydrokinesis: the Movable Create can make water in "hard" structures that can be used as protective walls or domes or stood on like supports, while Damaging MO handles smashing waves, crushing whirlpools and all kinds of lifting, flinging and grabbing. Basically Green Lantern stuff, only wetter. Power stunting for really massive lifts or water displacement is an option; you could stunt a rank 36 MO Limited to Water which is about a cubic kilometer of water, easily enough to part a gap in the ocean, or to flood or unflood a city.
- Aquablast is actually a Variable Blast to handle all the different blasts mentioned in listed powersets: Water (Scalding/Freezing), Weather (Lightning/Wind), and Vaguely-Defined Energy because Magic. AQ isn't much of a ranged fighter so I added a few ranks of Accurate as well, giving him +6/16 with Aquablast for PL11. A player might want to juggle a few points to give him some Ranged Combat or something, but I wouldn't recommend going higher with Damage without raising his PL.
- Melee Combat is using the Trident as a trident and not just a big magic wand. It's essentially a forked polearm, so I gave it Reach and Improved Disarm on top of a standard Str-based Damage 3, and added in Split and Crit for fun; there's certainly room for more, like Improved Trip or Weapon Bind, but I thought I'd keep it relatively short. This leaves a lot of room in the slot, though, so I made the whole thing a Multiple Effects container and added in Vulko's Fancy Defense, a Close Range Deflect that Reflects damage back at the attacker. This essentially gives you everything you need to simulate the final battle of AQ and Ocean Master in the film.
- the rest is pretty much a checklist of other stuff mentioned that's not as interesting to build. Weather Control 1800' radius with 4 ranks of options, check. Transform Being (really?), check. Something that "makes things disappear" . . . ah, power stunt. Honestly, transform being is probably a power stunt that AQ did one time to that one guy, since I don't see him making herds of beastmen like Circe.

source

So what does a RtP Aquaman look like? If you don't want to downgrade from PL12 AQ, surprisingly the easiest move is to start with the Warrior Archetype in the Handbook. A lot of people poo-poo the archetypes, and I am one of them, but the Warrior is basically 80% Aquaman already. I'd pick the Aquatic option, ditch the super-strength, probably trim down Agility and Dexterity but buy back Dodge, and of course add in some stripped down marine telepathy and . . . well, it would look like this:

Warrior - Aquatic - PL 10

Strength 10, Stamina 8, Agility 4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 10, Intellect 1, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Advantages
Agile Feint, Animal Empathy, Defensive Roll 2, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment)

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 2 (+12), Expertise: History 4 (+5), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 2 (+5), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 2 (+5), Ranged Combat: Throw 4 (+6), Stealth 4 (+8)

Powers
Aquatic
. . Immunity 1 (Suffocation: Drowning)
. . Swimming 10 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)
Marine Telepathy - 9p pool + 2 AEs = 11p
. . Summon Marine Life (Tiny Swarm): Summon 1 (Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 2: 4 minions, Responsive, Type (General): Tiny Swarming Marine Life; Limited: in or near water, Self-Powered)
. . Summon Marine Life: Summon 4 (Mental Link, Responsive, Type (General): Marine Life; Limited: in or near water, Self-Powered)
. . Talk To Fish
. . . . Mental Communication 2 (Limited: Sea Creatures)
. . . . Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand; Broad Type: Sea Creatures)

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 20)
Throw, +6 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Languages
Atlantean, English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10/8, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 84 + Powers 25 + Advantages 8 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 148

I left off a few points because I usually get lost choosing the last ones without some context like an active campaign. This hits most of the notes of PL12 Aquaman, a little toned down, more nimble but still beefy. I do love my trickster fighters and the Agile Feint I added would give him yet another edge underwater (Swim 10) that still translates somewhat well on dry land (Acro 8). His Marine Telepathy can summon a single big fish (whale, dolphin, shark, squid, etc) or 4 swarms of tiny fish. I also dropped his range to 1 mile since global range seems extreme to start with.

This is a pre-JLA, pre-motion picture Aquaman, who probably hasn't adopted a name yet, who knows he's special but hasn't figured out what to do with it yet. He knows Atlantean from his mother, history from his father, and travels the world to find himself and help others. (He can swim almost as fast as a jet with zero cost and no lineups.) He could easily join up with a hero team in any coastal or island city, or maybe cross paths with them trying to help civilians during a tsunami or flood. It might be interesting to put him on the path to the Trident somehow (which could be easily turned down to PL10), but this Arthur is a blank slate, perfect to write your own story with.
Last edited by JDRook on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JDRook

Re: JDRook's Revised DCA Builds - Mera! Tempest! Dolphin! Aqualad!

Post by JDRook »

source

Mera - PL 10

Strength 9, Stamina 7, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
All-out Attack, Benefit, Status 3: Queen of Atlantis, Defensive Roll, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Languages 1, Power Attack

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 3 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+10), Insight 4 (+7), Perception 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Throw 4 (+7)

Powers
Aquatic
. . Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Suffocation: Drowning)
Hard Water Powers: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Movable)
. . Move Object 10 (Alternate; 25 tons, DC 25; Damaging)
Swimming 8 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 19)
Move Object 10, +3 (DC 25)
Throw, +7 (DC 24)

Unarmed, +10 (DC 24)

Complications
Relationship: Mera is married to Aquaman
Responsibility: As Queen of Atlantis, Mera must attend to the needs of her people and her duty to the Seven Seas, which can occasionally come into conflict with her previous allegiance to Xebel.
Weakness: Mera dehydrates when away from water for an extended period of time, becoming impaired, disabled, and finally incapacitated before her condition becomes life threatening. Immersion in water immediately removes all accumulated conditions.

Languages
Atlantean, Native Xebellian

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 11, Toughness 8/7, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 45 + Advantages 8 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 161

Mera's pretty badass. She was originally sent from Xebel (not sure if it's another world, another dimension, or just a different city than Atlantis) with the intent on assassinating the King of Atlantis, but falls in love with him, becomes Queen, has his child, said Aquababy is kidnapped and murdered(?!?) by Black Manta, and after a period of understandable mental distress, she keeps calm and carries on.

I'm not sure if I remembered or noticed when I looked ahead, but Mera's hydrokinesis or "Hard Water" powers happen to follow the very same structure I made for Aquaman's Trident: Moveable Create and Damaging Move Object, so I'm pretty pleased about that. A few things do need attention though:

- Total Powers in DCA was 44 but it adds up to 45. They literally write "Aquatic (see Aquaman)" under Powers so it's possible they adjusted his powerset and never double-checked hers. All other numbers check out.
- Abilities are all good, although there's a lot of mentions in the interwebs about her being AQ's equal and could she actually take him, while here she's 2 PL lower and 1 rank lower on several abilities and skills. It might be more post-52 that they tried to even her up, but it is a little odd how consistent it is.
- Hard Water is all good, and the DCA book calls out that while she can do other magic like opening portals to "Dimension Aqua" it's rare enough to be power stunted.
- Swimming 8 seems to slow for a variety of reasons. Aquaman has Speed 10, and she should really at least be his equal there. Also, Atlanteans (and Xebellians) are said to be able to swim at "supersonic" speeds. Sound actually travels a lot faster underwater, like about 4x faster, but Swimming 8 is nowhere near that. It's possible they confused Swimming 8 with Speed 8 or Flight 8 which go at 500mph (at least approaching mach 1) but didn't realize Swimming's -2 penalty, making Swim 8 = 120mph. In any case, it would be best to make Mera's Swim 10.
- The Offense section highlights that the Hard Water Move Object only has +3 to hit. It was obviously assumed Mera's Throwing bonus also covered her MO, but HeroLab doesn't recognize Move Object as Throwing unless specifically told. Really GM's choice here: she might only use the bonus for MO, but her STR is only 1 rank below her MO so it's not like she couldn't pick up and throw things without magic.
- Mera and the other ancillary Aquaman characters all have statblocks but no Complications included, so I cribbed these from Aquaman and her description.

source

I usually evaluate and consider RtP at this point, but Mera is already PL10 and slightly overpointed but feels underpointed, likely because I just did Aquaman and he's head and shoulders above her in every way. Part of it is also probably NYBS (Not Your Book Syndrome) with Mera playing second banana by necessity. I feel like with the Swim fix and a bump to her magic she could be a slightly overpointed PL11 and not feel so far behind the King.
Ken

Post by Ken »

JDRook wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 am Image
source
The weapon shown is NOT a trident. The weapon shown has 5-tines, not 3.

I'm a pedant, too.

Aquaman's trident is weird. For decades, in promotional art, Aquaman would be shown with a trident. But he didn't actually start carrying one in the comics until the late 00s or early 10s.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

JDRook wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 amShe was originally sent from Xebel (not sure if it's another world, another dimension, or just a different city than Atlantis) with the intent on assassinating the King of Atlantis, but falls in love with him, becomes Queen, has his child, said Aquababy is kidnapped and murdered(?!?) by Black Manta, and after a period of understandable mental distress, she keeps calm and carries on.
Originally, Mera was from "a watery world in another dimension", and Xebel was the name of the scientist in that dimension. She was a former queen who's throne had been usurped, and Xebel opened a dimensional gate to allow Mera to come to Earth to evade the usurper. Of course, he followed, and pandemonium ensued. Her powers could be negated by contact with lead (as was found in refined oil), and of course:

Drawn by Nick Cardy: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Attractive)

This was in 1963.

Now, I'm not sure when "Xebel's world" became the "world of Xebel" and there was none of that whole 'intent on assassinating the King of Atlantis' whale-scat. But it's comics and things change.

In the recent Aquaman film, Xebel was changed to being one of the "seven kingdoms" of Atlantis.

JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Ken wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:59 pmOriginally, Mera was from "a watery world in another dimension", and Xebel was the name of the scientist in that dimension. She was a former queen who's throne had been usurped, and Xebel opened a dimensional gate to allow Mera to come to Earth to evade the usurper. Of course, he followed, and pandemonium ensued.
Now, I'm not sure when "Xebel's world" became the "world of Xebel" and there was none of that whole 'intent on assassinating the King of Atlantis' whale-scat. But it's comics and things change.

In the recent Aquaman film, Xebel was changed to being one of the "seven kingdoms" of Atlantis.
Here's the first paragraph of Mera's origin from the pre-52 post-Crisis DCA Handbook:
Queen Mera was a descendent of Atlantean political dissidents, imprisoned for generations in a prison called Xebel behind a force field in the Bermuda Triangle. Escaping to kill the king of Atlantis, Mera instead fell in love with Aquaman. Together they had a son, Arthur, Jr.
Things change indeed! She's essentially starts as a rebel and a political prisoner, the polar opposite of royalty, in this version, with Xebel as the Aqua-Guantanamo she was sent to under a previous Atlantean King.

I guess they changed things with the times. In 1963 an inconvenienced monarch who's also a damsel in distress would probably be more editorially desirable than an escaped terrorist out for vengeance who's also a knockout redhead. Also, commoners marrying into royalty may have been more in the public imagination when the decided to not make her a queen from before. It would probably be interesting to match her development and variations to the state of the world at the time, but that sounds a lot deeper than I want to get into it here. :)
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Ken wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:34 pm The weapon shown is NOT a trident. The weapon shown has 5-tines, not 3.

I'm a pedant, too.
Lol! It's funny, because you got me thinking it would be called something like a quindent, and then realized I saw that word before on one of the fansites. I was skimming and it was in a section titled Mera's Ship, so when I saw this new word "Quindent" capitalized, I assumed it was the name of her ship.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

source

Tempest - PL 10

Strength 9, Stamina 8, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 7, Intellect 2, Awareness 4, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Animal Empathy, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Languages 1, Ritualist

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 4 (+13), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+9), Expertise: Magic 8 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Magic 6 (+9), Stealth 3 (+6)

Powers

Aquatic
. . Immunity 3 (Environmental Conditions: Cold, High Pressure; Suffocation: Drowning)

Atlantean Sorceror
. . Mystic Blast: Damage 11 (DC 26; Increased Range: ranged)
. . Planewalk: Movement 2 (Dimensional: Mystic Dimensions 2: group, 50 lbs.)
. . Telekinesis: Move Object 11 (50 tons)

Swimming 9 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)

Offense
Initiative +3
Atlantean Sorceror: Magic 11, +9 (DC 26)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 19)
Mystic Blast: Damage 11, +9 (DC 26)
Telekinesis: Move Object 11, +9 (DC 21)
Throw, +3 (DC 24)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 24)

Complications
Relationship: Tempest has a wife, Dolphin, ties with his former mentor, Aquaman, and his friends in Atlantis.
Enemies: Garth’s uncle Zath, the sorcerer known as the halfhuman Slizzath, is one of his primary foes.
Power Loss: Garth needs to be able to gesture and speak to use his magic.

Languages
Native Atlantean, English

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9/8, Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 40 + Advantages 7 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 163

Tempest (or Garth more often than not) seems to be Nightwing to Aquaman's Batman: formerly a kid sidekick with similar powers, he's now gone off on his own, keeps in touch, but occasionally strains the relationship. However, this version at least doesn't seem related to the Teen Titans in any way, or there wasn't room in the DCA bio. Rather than gadgets and acrobatics or even fish-talking, Tempest has the magic in him and was trained by Atlan himself in ancient Atlantean sorcery.

A few editing details: Tempest has the same missing point in Powers as Mera, probably for the same reason. He was also missing Language (unless he only speaks Atlantean) and Ritualist even though it is specifically mentioned in his bio. Conversely, since he lost his telepathy for magic he might not have Animal Empathy anymore. Also no Complications again so the above are mine.

Very similar to Mera, with the same PL and nearly the same point cost, even similar powersets and skillsets. It should be noted that Tempest can swim faster than Mera for no defined reason, and any published speed I've seen for Garth's swimming is way below 250mph.

You can of course add more magic to Garth's array, or power stunt, or create Rituals. Planewalk is underpointed if you wanted to make it into a full portal or increase mass or whatever for regular trips with a group, but it may actually work better that he can dimension hop freely but has to power stunt to travel with others, purposefully limiting utility to create some suspense and hard choices in tough situations.

Overall, Garth is a pretty solid PL10 just by being an Atlantean and hitting all his caps, and his magic gives him a little more utility than talking to fish. He's a little overpointed for PL10, but trimming down some of his physical to focus on his magic would make a very RtP mage out of him.
Last edited by JDRook on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

source

Dolphin - PL 8

Strength 8, Stamina 6, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Evasion, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Improved Initiative

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 4 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Expertise: Oceans 4 (+5), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Stealth 4 (+7)

Powers
Aquatic
Swimming 9 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)

Offense
Initiative +7
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 18)
Throw, +2 (DC 23)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 23)

Complications
Relationship: Dolphin is married to Tempest, and is a former lover of Aquaman.
Weakness: Dolphin dehydrates when away from water for an extended period of time, becoming impaired, disabled, and finally incapacitated before her condition becomes life threatening. Immersion in water immediately removes all accumulated conditions.

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 9, Toughness 6, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 56 + Powers 15 + Advantages 3 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 109

Now we're talkin'! This Ellie-Mae body-double showed up in 1968 to make life under the sea a little more zesty! Her origin is she was lost at sea and aliens altered her body* for water livin'. Naturally she escapes and lives off the land--er, ocean bottom for years until found by an ocean research vessel, but since she's been Mowgli of the Molluscs for her formative years she can't speak at all, and the researchers nickname her Dolphin.

*not unlike everybody's Buddy Animal Man, who also happens to work with her briefly in the Forgotten Heroes team formed by Immortal Man.

I mean, what else do you call a girl who can't speak and can hold her breath for hours? Asking for a friend . . . source

Inevitably she crosses paths with Aquaman and love blossoms! "But how?" I hear you exclaim. "He's an Atlantean and she's a weirdo Human/Alien experiment who can't even talk. What could they possibly have in common?"

So . . . you know how to play Gin Rummy? source

Well, I've long considered the inscrutable charms of that which is Dolphin, folks, and I have a few theories. Dolphin was actually there when Charybdis messed with Arthur's telepathy and fed his hand to the piranhas; she even shot Charybdis despite her sweet pacifistic ways and carried Arthur back to Atlantis, so there might be some Florence Nightingale effect going on there.

On the other hand, she also got Manchurian Candidate-d by Kordax to sneak into Atlantis and kill Aquaman, not unlike his former terrorist wife Mera did, so clearly Arthur has a Type.

Oh yeah, she's definitely checking him for weak spots. source

Or maybe he just feels sorry for the poor little freak, done so wrong by the world.

Poor unfortunate soul source

But we may never know. The heart wants what the heart wants. And unfortunately for Arthur her heart eventually wanted the newer younger model and went to be with Tempest.

source

TL;DR - Dolphin was some sea-cheesecake from the 60's retconned to be Aquaman's rebound when Mera leaves him, with the rest of her history an extended apology for this Bechdel-test failure of a concept.

Ambush Bug! What are you doing? Get off my computer!

Rookie cookie baby babushka! You're just in time! I was just finishing up my part so you can take over and do that anal retentive nit-picking thing you're so good at.

What do you-- you did my Dolphin entry?! And it's huge! It might be bigger than Aquaman's.

That's what she said!

This is ridiculous! How long have you been planning this?

No plan! I just sat down and let the Muse flow through me. And if you don't mind me saying so, this thread really needed it, too. What a sausage-fest! You really shoulda started at Z and worked backwards. Look at these fine examples of superheroinesses! Zatanna, Wonder Woman, a little Young Justice sprinkled in there. You coulda had fishnets but instead you went for the fish.

This was going to be just another short entry, another Atlantean variant. They don't even have a picture of her in the DCA Handbook and you turned it into a centrefold shoot!

Then my work here is done! You're welcome! {POP!}

So yeah, Dolphin. Underpointed PL8, hits caps on defense and melee, all the basic Atlantean notes. Yet another swimmer that's faster than Mera--

{POP!} I'll say! {POP!}

Anyway, she'd make a good base for a RtP street-level or teen powerhouse with an aquatic theme, with points left over to customize. {sigh} And I guess she could also be a love-interest or really any relationship-interest for a PC to build up more RP for your table.

{POP!} There you go! Was that so hard? Nothing wrong with a little fan-service in the name of fun, right? This is a game, after all.

Okay, Bug, you made your point. Now will you leave for real? Dramatic exits lose their punch if you keep coming back.

Tru dat, but comedy works in threes! (ahem) YOU haven't SEEN the Last of MEEEEEEE!!!! {POP!}
Last edited by JDRook on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.