Better Neighbors: Addams Family vs. The Munsters

If you want to debate fictional fights or do character respect threads, do it here.
MacynSnow

Better Neighbors: Addams Family vs. The Munsters

Post by MacynSnow »

My idea for this simple: Who would be Better neighbors, the Addams or Munsters and why? No violence is involved, but remember that there's ALWAYS violence involved when it comes to Gomez and Company....
kirinke

Re: Better Neighbors: Addams Family vs. The Munsters

Post by kirinke »

Either family seem to be good people and good neighbors. It's the other people that tend to be weirded out by them. Almost every episode shows how gracious and loving in their own unique way. But for me, personally, I like the Addams Family more. Dunno why. :lol:
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Davies

Post by Davies »

In Addams' original comic strips, the characters were much more malevolent than they were in the TV show; the movies restored a fair bit of that edge and extended it a bit.

So the Munsters would probably be better neighbors, as they were conceived that way from the beginning.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I will admit I haven't had a chance to watch the Munsters in quite some time (I'm trying to fix that failing), I have watched the original TV series.

In that one the Addams are very nice people who would give you pretty much anything if they thought you needed it.
However they also tend to blow things up, have loud unusual pets, do unusual things in the yard, and are responsible for a nearby swamp not being drained by the city.

So, really good people, but a little oblivious to how their actions might affect you. You'd probably have to be dealing with noise issues on a regular basis.

And reselling your house might not be so easy ;~)
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Well, if you lived near them of your own volition, you're probably a bit on the unusual side yourself.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I believe more than one character in that series purchased their place assuming that the Addams' place was abandoned ;~)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:14 pm I believe more than one character in that series purchased their place assuming that the Addams' place was abandoned ;~)
Your not wrong on that. If you pay attention, in the first 6 episodes they have various people mention that the place is abandoned.
Post-Human Resources

Post by Post-Human Resources »

Definitely the Addams family are the better neighbours. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Munsters are a nice family and I'd be happy to live next to them, they just aren't quite as idyllic as the Addams family.

Basically, the Munsters will be doing things wrong constantly, and by accident. Herman not knowing his own strength, Freddy being animalistic, or Grampa doing things that were acceptable back in the old country but not here and now. If you confront them about whatever went wrong, they may or may not apologise (a Munster refusing to acknowledge that they may have caused a problem was a plot-point/punch-line for several episodes).

All of that means that, if you live near the Munsters, you will be a regular victim of their unintended disasters, which they'll never be able to stop causing.

Meanwhile, if the Addams Family have caused you a problem, it is probably either an intentional decision that they thought you will appreciate, or an easily anticipated side-effect of their behaviour that they genuinely didn't think you would mind.

If you ever encounter a problem as a result of what they do, you simply have to explain to them that you have a problem with that, and they will discuss the situation with you, either working out a compromise or simply ceasing the thing that caused the problem in the first place. They may find you strange for your objection to whatever it is, but they accept you for your weirdness anyway.

Plus, as we learn in the Addams Family episode about the next door neighbours moving in, the Addams Family actually own the houses around theirs! If you become their neighbour, they also become your landlords and hold your lease. Gomez is, after all, a very generous and forgiving landlord, who ends the episode by allowing the newly wed couple to break their lease (so that they didn't have to live next to the Addams Family), so even if you are regretting your choice shortly after moving in next to them, they'll allow you to change your mind and move out.