Limits of Move Object

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Red Ryder

Limits of Move Object

Post by Red Ryder »

Hello again,

I have chosen to make my character's power of Move Object very strong up to the current power level, damaging, as well as having a burst area extra that is also selective. I have also taken the Precise extra to allow for finer manipulation.

I imagine my character can look over at a big pile of junk and lift any or all items in the 30' radius area of my range and can even through them as an attack.
That all makes sense to me.

That got me thinking about other things like earth, water, and air.
When I look at example powers for opening a hole in the ground, manipulating water, or using air to make a simple gust of wind, they all tend to have the Move Object as a start, and then add the Limited to Earth, Water, or Air flaw to specify them and make it cheaper.

Since I took the power generically, does that mean I am not limited and can manipulate all of the above?
I am not trying to power game an "everything" power, but it seems to make sense to me that I could use my generic, burst area, selectable, and precise, move object power to lift the water out of a swimming pool and sprinkle it on a nearby fire.
Or perhaps, make a light gust of wind near me to blow away a smoke cloud or debris.
Or perhaps, dig a hole.
All assuming I am within my limits for range and mass.

Does anyone have any thoughts about if I can do those things?
There aren't any other elemental form or control type of characters in my group, so I won't be stepping on anyone's toes, but I also didn't want to roll up with a "my power does everything" power.

I appreciate the feedback and consideration.
Davies

Re: Limits of Move Object

Post by Davies »

Move Object is basically Strength minus Damage with the Increased Range extra. Anything you could do with a normal Strength score, other than doing Damage -- for which you need the Damaging extra -- you can pretty much do with it, and without suffering the effects of physical contact with whatever you're moving.

Lifting water from a swimming pool to put out a fire: Sure.
Gust of wind to blow away a smoke cloud: Sure.
Dig a hole: This I would require Damaging to accomplish, since you're 'damaging' the ground. (Other GMs might not be so severe, particularly if you're limited to affecting earth.)

The first two would be good examples of using your power to Counter another effect (p. 147-8) if the fire or smoke cloud are the results of someone else's power.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Thanks Davies,

I did make the move object damaging as I wanted this to be the character's main power trait and spend the most points on making it perform in various ways.

It seems like all of the above would be possible then.

I appreciate the comments.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 am Move Object is basically Strength minus Damage with the Increased Range extra. Anything you could do with a normal Strength score, other than doing Damage -- for which you need the Damaging extra -- you can pretty much do with it, and without suffering the effects of physical contact with whatever you're moving.

Lifting water from a swimming pool to put out a fire: Sure.
Gust of wind to blow away a smoke cloud: Sure.
Dig a hole: This I would require Damaging to accomplish, since you're 'damaging' the ground. (Other GMs might not be so severe, particularly if you're limited to affecting earth.)

The first two would be good examples of using your power to Counter another effect (p. 147-8) if the fire or smoke cloud are the results of someone else's power.
to add to this some GMs might require the precise extra to do things like push buttons or pick up very small things but beyond that everything davies said
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

I appreciate it catsi.
I did also take the Precise Extra to be able to do fine manipulation like tie shoes, type on a computer, etc...

Thanks for the feedback.