How to handle Chokehold without overpowering it.

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Red Ryder

How to handle Chokehold without overpowering it.

Post by Red Ryder »

Hello,
I am making a powerful telekinesis character with a damaging style of Move Object.
Since you can do damage with grabs after making it damaging, I noticed that I could add the Chokehold advantage to it.
That sounded neat as I could do Force chokes like Darth Vader.

However upon reading further, it just means that it follows the rules for suffocation.
Suffocation only starts after 10 rounds plus your stamina characteristic. 10 rounds is 60 seconds I believe and that is realistic for a normal, average person but it doesn't take into account stress, like combat, which dramatically reduces oxygen levels and one's ability to hold breath.
Also, minimum of 10 rounds is an eternity in combat.

I looked up choking in the MMA context and it is accomplished not by suffocation, but by blocking blood flow to the brain and the average time to pass out is about 6 to 9 seconds or one ish rounds.

Since the advantage of Chokehold is only 1 PP, it seems too powerful to grant an incapacitated result in only one round.
My question would be how to fairly represent this in the telekinesis power without trying to take on another Affliction power?

I appreciate any feedback or thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance.
Davies

Re: How to handle Chokehold without overpowering it.

Post by Davies »

The "Sleeper Hold" example in the Strength Powers section of Power Profiles should work for this. This is a Progressive Affliction resisted by Fortitude that inflicts Dazed, Stunned and Incapacitated on the target; while the published power is Grab-based, this would likely be a Ranged or Perception-Range Affliction and shouldn't take that. (You might take inspiration from the similar yet different "Suffocating Bubble" power, and replace those first two degrees with Fatigued and Exhausted.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Thanks so much Davies,
This is great information.
I will use this as a starting point.

Have a great day.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 pm The "Sleeper Hold" example in the Strength Powers section of Power Profiles should work for this. This is a Progressive Affliction resisted by Fortitude that inflicts Dazed, Stunned and Incapacitated on the target; while the published power is Grab-based, this would likely be a Ranged or Perception-Range Affliction and shouldn't take that. (You might take inspiration from the similar yet different "Suffocating Bubble" power, and replace those first two degrees with Fatigued and Exhausted.)
Progressive should be swapped with Cumulative though. Progressive means that the target is still suffocating even after getting out of the hold.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:26 am Progressive should be swapped with Cumulative though. Progressive means that the target is still suffocating even after getting out of the hold.
Which could work for a throat punch, of course. :)
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Thanks all.
This feedback is great.