Mechanics & Metaphors: Palladium HTH Reassessment

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
JDRook

Mechanics & Metaphors: Palladium HTH Reassessment

Post by JDRook »

I figured it was about time I secure a beachhead on this site and start writing out my own stuff instead of clinging parasitically to others. Thanks to Jabroniville, Batgirl III, and others, I am inspired to dig up old characters and systems and retool them for Mutants & Masterminds 3e, and possibly make some new characters and new rules in the process.

I have a bunch of other ideas as well, but historically I know if I try to do too much at once, I just overwhelm myself and end up doing nothing, so I plan to just develop the habit of adding content semi-regularly and see where it leads.

Cheers!
Last edited by JDRook on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
JDRook

Re: Mechanics & Metaphors: JDRook's Rules Rants and Character Conversions

Post by JDRook »

INDEX (constant WIP)

Rifts Conversions

MDC Conversion and Chart
Rifts Strength Charts
Rifts Magic: Invocations Level 1-2, 3-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10, 11-12, 13-15
Rifts Psionics: Healing, Sensitive, Physical, Super
PPE & ISP conversion

Nightbane (formerly Nightspawn)

Nightbane Template
Talents
Character Classes: Psychic, Sorceror, Mystic
NPCs: Dopplegangers, Hounds, and Hunters, Vampires

General Palladium

Hand-to-Hand Combat Bonuses
Last edited by JDRook on Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
JDRook

Rifts: Converting MDC to M&M: Threat or Menace?

Post by JDRook »

I started reading Jab's Palladium Conversion thread and got caught up in converting Mega-Damage to Toughness and Damage ranks. In the first post he puts up his own chart and explains how he basically ignored it since it's an annoying system, and I can see how that works. MD is essentially cliff that non-MD characters have to climb or quickly die trying in a mixed setting, and "mixed setting" is Rifts' reason for being.

(Personally I always thought there should be a mid-range damage - which I called "Kilo-Damage - that worked like MD only at the x10 level. KD would work well for standard modern vehicles, heavy but conventional armor and heavy weapons and grenades, and possibly mutant turtle shells. :D That way there'd be some middle ground between street thugs in tank tops and soldiers in tanks. Coulda woulda shoulda . . .)

Anyway, Jab's chart is quick and easy (although I can't say how difficult it was to make initiallly), but I was intrigued by the details brought in by catsi and slade the sniper. Based on their ideas, I thought I'd deep-dive into the numbers.
MDC Chart  v2.jpg
MDC Chart v2.jpg (187.73 KiB) Viewed 13202 times
EDIT: This is a newer version (2019-06-07) tweaked to better match weapon damage for both systems in the 3-5 range.

Assuming that SDC values aren't completely arbitrary :? , I tried overlaying the linear SDC of Palladium with the geometric increase of M&M ranks. The die rolls are roughly what you'd need to get the value with an average roll, and the examples are taken from different Palladium books as to what would use those die (or close to it).

The two weapons types come clear this way: conventional SDC weapons in a 6-level range, Mega-Damage in another 6-level range, and no-man's land at rank 7. In each group the strongest attack is about 30 times more powerful than the weakest (likely an artefact of the chosen die rolls), and since MDC is 100 times more powerful, it leaves that gap in the middle.

The comparison is of course rough, so there is some room to shift it up or down, which is part of the reason I included the zero rank. As catsi noted, you can make some comparisons between common weapons to both systems. Palladium lists a bunch of guns that run anywhere from 1D8-6D6, while M&M keeps it simple with rank 3=light pistol, 4=heavy pistol, 5=rifle/shotgun. If you wanted to peg rank 5/shotgun as the central basis of the chart, you could just shift everything down one, using a higher rank for everything. On the other hand, if you wanted to use the base PC capability of an all-average untrained human as your base, in Palladium that would be a 1d4 punch to M&M's Damage 0 attack, which would shift everything up to a lower rank.

Then again, we're talking Rifts, which was almost called Boomers because it was going to be built largely around the Glitter Boys, so you could easily argue that as the tentpole that all other damage should be based around. Jabroniville set his GB Gun at rank 15, which using this chart puts the lowest MD attacks at rank 10, which is completely workable and an easy way to denote what constitutes Mega-Damage in the setting (if you even want to make that distinction). I might be inclined to set the GB Gun at rank 12, putting the MD entry point at rank 7 and generally lowering the bar and point costs to make Glitterboys and other powerful OCCs easier to fit a standard PL10 and be on par with some of my superhero builds, as well as making street-level PCs more viable in the setting. It all depends on preferences and plans for your campaign world (not to mention there's a lot of leeway thanks to free tradeoff maneuvers and such).

Let's not forget natural weapons! There's a buttload of augmented, robotic and supernatural creatures each with their very own damage and carrying rules. M&M simplifes this a lot.
Example: My Royal Frilled Dragon Hatchling has a PS 24 which is Supernatural. Flipping to the appropriate chart, that gives her a 4d6 SDC restrained punch, a 2d6 full strength punch and 4d6 power punch. That translates roughly to a 4, 9, and 10 rank on the base chart I made. Also on another page the carrying capacity for SuperNat PS24 is 1200lbs, equal to STR 5. That's a pretty wide range, so I have a few options:
- I could ignore the ridiculously varied carrying charts and just say she has STR 9, using the Power Attack maneuver, appropriately enough, to power punch and get the Accurate Attack Advantage for carefully restrained punches to keep from ripping humans in half.
- I could honour the carry, stick to STR 5 but add +4 Damage for close attack, possibly with some or all of that attributed to Claws.
- Or just do STR 5 and Power Attack Advantage, roughly opposite of the first option.

Now what about the other side, Toughness? There are a couple ways I'm considering. It's a little more complicated, and that's partly due to the difference in combat between P and Ms. If a Glitterboy shot a target with 100 MDC (the Boom Gun's average damage), it's an almost even chance that the target will be completely slagged by that one shot. Conversely, a Damage 15 attack against a Toughness 15 target has less than a 10% chance of being incap'd in one shot, requiring someone to make a crit of some kind. This is true of all Damage=Toughness combat regardless of rank. With balanced opponents and assuming a Take 10 on all hits, it would take 8 hits to drop an opponent (1 Wound, 5 Daze+Wound, and 2 Staggered stacking to Incap. This of course ignores all die roll variance, tradeoffs, non-damage attacks and strategy, but it's a good guideline. If a certain weapon rank can do enough damage to wipe out all your SDC/MDC in one shot, then you are "on par" with a weapon that does 1/8 that damage, or 3 steps up the chart, and that rank is your Toughness. Using the rank 15 Boom Gun as an example, it would be on par with Toughness 12. Note that this still doesn't allow for an easy one-shot, but it would cut down average drop time from 8 to 5 hits.

Another to do it would be to compare base average characters. An M&M Bystander is Toughness 0, while an untrained non-OCC average PC in modern Palladium is . . .
[flips through book]
[flips through another book]
[looks around online]
[first book again]
. . . let's say about 10 SDC and 10 Hit Points. Call it equal to 20 damage for simplicity. Just multiply the numbers under SDC value by 20 to get the ranks matched up. Or if you're tricky, just add a 0 to the end of each one and then step down 1 rank on the chart.

Example: I want to bring my Guardian from Nightspawn into Rifts Earth. She has 170 SDC and 49 HP. That puts her between 160 and 320, so I round up to Toughness 4. The GM is concerned with how flimsy I'll be and gives me some Huntsman Armor (MDC 45) that works out to Toughness 9. This is still nowhere near as tough as the Dragon Hatchling with 310 MDC (Toughness 11). I notice Dragons convert to SDC in other worlds, which would put this hatchling equal to my Guardian on contemporary Earth, so I wonder aloud if Guardians are considered "creautres of magic" and potentially get some mega-boosting. The GM checks through the conversion books, but Guardians are mysteriously absent from the Nightbane conversion notes. We decide to compromise and give the Guardian Kilo-Damage, boosting her to Toughness 7.

UPDATE (2019-06-13): For quIck Toughness conversion I currently favour a very simplified version of multiplying the SDC value by 10 (ie stick a zero on the end) and use the rank that matches. This gives a "Mega-Damage Threshold" at rank 8, with Damage 8 capable of reliably hitting 100+ SDC damage and Toughness 8 roughly equal to well over 1000 SDC or 10 MDC.

So that gives a ballpark for those traits. In practice there will probably be a lot of adjustment to fit PL, point budget, setting and team variables, but it's a good place to start.
Last edited by JDRook on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Theres this also in regards to MDC vs SDC

MDC is explicitly stated to be an ENTIRELY different scale of damage compared to SDC. each MDC is = to 100 SDC in damage or health

An SDC weapon CANNOT damage MDC armor it would take very high powered weapons IE artillery or superpowers to even try

MDC damage basically overpowers any SDC armor it just vaporizes it entirely. so a single MDC blast that only does 1 MDC damage would automatically kill any target with 100 sdc or less due to basically vaporizing the target

its one of the trickier things to convert in some senses though M&Ms system doesn't make the scale distinctions barring impervious or the like
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

That is one of the more annoying aspects of it. I guess there's some appeal of having that level of power, but it just encourages everyone to move up to that level, especially when the setting practically has vending machines full of MD weapons and armor. It feels more interesting when it's more rare, and I guess there might be some fun in playing an SDC creature in an MDC world in a Call-of-Cthulu-power-beyond-mortal-ken way, but it feels like it would be hard for a GM to put that genie back in the bottle after a player finds out they coulda been playing a freakin' dragon!
Shock

Re: Rifts: Converting MDC to M&M: Threat or Menace?

Post by Shock »

JDRook wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:35 am In each group the strongest attack is about 30 times more powerful than the weakest (likely an artefact of the chosen die rolls)
It's because doubling something 5 times is equivalent to multiplying by 32.
JDRook

Uh Oh, Rifts Magic!

Post by JDRook »

Rifts has a LOT of magic. As you can see in Jab's Rifts thread, he's sketched out about 150 spells from the Rifts Core book, and in most every book they've released since (dozens, possibly over a hundred) they've usually introduced more spells and/or entire new schools of magic. Rifts Earth is of course a seething mass of magic energy, so there are many character classes that use it or eat it or exist because of it. And I'm going to try to stat out all the spells they use!

Within reason.

The Rifts core book came out in August 1990 and the "Ultimate Edition" was released 15 years later with much of the accumulated bits from other books worked into it. It has close to 200 spells in its no-name generic Magic section divided into 15 levels. I'm going to attempt to stat them out in sections, with descritpions how they work.

A few basics:

Range: Most ranges are surprisingly short. The Diminished Range Flaw can be useful to shave points, but is generally unnecessary. Areas, Touch range and Self are also common.

Duration: For our purposes, this is ignored. Normally spells have a cost for one use until the end of the duration. Since we're not spending points, spells last as long as they are sustained.

Saving Throw: Saves vs Magic generally start at 12 and increase with occasional level bonuses to 15, with a 16 for rituals; higher is usually saved for extremely powerful magic. As a d20 system, this translates directly into a DC, usually vs Will. Most characters will have relatively low Fort and Will saves, read as a non-cumulative combination of all of their different saves vs psionics, magic, poison, coma, etc.

PPE Cost: Ignored. To elaborate on what was mentioned before, spells last as long as they are sustained, and I plan to use Arrays to simulate spell management instead of resource spending.Specifically, I've been putting spells in Wide Arrays and generally making them wide enough so that PCs can have two or more spells active simultaneously, as opposed to standard Arrays that only allow one spell slot at a time, or Dynamic Arrays that allow several slots but at lower ranks. I refer to the Wide Array system as a "toolbox" with the tools defined as fixed-cost spells. They also have the advantage of being slightly cheaper than D-Arrays or Variables, at least for short lists of spells.

Level 1-2 Spells: Wide Array - 24p pool

. . 1 Blinding Flash: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, DC 12; Extras: Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Cumulative, Ranged; Flaws: Diminished Range, Sense-dependent: Vision) - [5] - 1p
. . 1 Cloud of Smoke: Cloud Area Concealment Attack 2 (Sense - Sight, DC 12; Extras: Cloud Area 2: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Attack: Dodge, Ranged; Flaws: Diminished Range) - [9] - 1p
. . 1 Death Trance* (Notes: Cannot use or maintain other spells while active) - 17p
. . . . Appear Dead: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Flaws: Side Effect 2: always - Cannot move or act) - [3]
. . . . Halted Life Processes: Immunity 40 (Common Descriptor: Mental Effects, Fortitude Effects; Flaws: Side Effect 2: always - Cannot move or act) - [14]

Death Trance can (and normally should) be very cheap. However, because it can't be used with other spells and my goals is to have the array wide enough to accommodate multiple simultaneous spells, it works out to make these standalones as effective as possible, so in this case I've added a Mind Block and full Fort Immunity.

. . 1 Globe of Daylight: Environment 1 (Light (Bright), Radius: 30 feet; Extras: Feature: true daylight, Precise, Notes: Precise allows the focus of the light (the "globe") to move anywhere withe range as the caster wills. For simplicity, the globe always moves relative to the caster.) - [4] - 1p
. . 1* Lantern Light: Environment 1 (Light, Radius: 30 feet; Extras: Precise, Selective) - [3] - 1p

Lantern Light is one of the first "domestic" spells I've seen added to the UE. There are a few spells like this that feel like something wizards use around the house and that would be a cute feature in a Potterverse movie. This one is also just a longer, less bright Globe of Daylight, and both could easily be one effect.

. . 1 See Aura: Senses 9 (Life Detect: Acute, Analytical, Ranged, Awareness: Possession, Detect Magic: Ranged, Detect: Aberration: Ranged) - [9] - 1p
. . 1 See the Invisible: Senses 2 (Counters Concealment: Invisible) - [2] - 1p
. . 1 Sense Evil: Senses 5 (Sense Supernatural Evil 2: Acute, Ranged, Radius, Tracking: -1 speed rank) - [5] - 1p
. . 1 Sense Magic: Senses 2 (Magic Awareness: Radius) - [2] - 1p
. . Open to Emanations: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Perception +12 (+12), Will -2 (-2); Flaws: Magic Senses only) - [2] - 1p

Behold the Level 1 Magic Sensor Suite! Arguably the most useful spells at this level and definitely the most used, as they are often part of the default package for starting OCCs. Every one of these is also a Psionic power with slightly different ranges or costs, etc. All except that one at the end. OtE is a custom spell I made up specifically to boost Perception rank for these senses and get their ranges up. I even threw in a Will penalty for flavour.

. . 1 Thunderclap: Burst Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, Disabled, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 18, Extra Condition, Feature: Can be heard a mile away, Sustained; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Sense-dependent: Hearing) - [5] - 1p

One of the earlier Horror Factor spells. Technically this one is HF:8, which of course is DC8, which there's no simple way to build, so I stuck with standard save of DC12.

. . 2 Befuddle: Progressive Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed & Impaired, 2nd degree: Dazed & Impaired, 3rd degree: Dazed & Impaired (resist once per minute), Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged, Progressive) - [10] - 1p

This one's a little experimental. Befuddle is basically two 1st degree Conditions but is meant to last 2min/lvl, so instead of using Limited Degree 2 and making it a 2p spell, I added Progressive and custom-ruled that the Conditions don't change but 3rd degree still saves every minute instead of every round. This spell would sustain itself as well, so you don't even need to keep it ready. Of course, rolling under 12 3 times in a row wouldn't be easy, but it would work best on minions.

. . 2 Chameleon: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Extra: Affects Others; Flaws: Blending, Passive)[4] - 1p
. . 2* Cleanse: Transform 5 (Affects: 1 Thing > 1 Thing - Dirty Clothes>Clean Clothes, Transforms: 25 lbs., DC 15) - [10] - 1p

Seriously, a Laundry spell.

. . 2 Climb: Movement 1 (Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank; Extras: Affects Others, Increased Range: ranged) - [4] - 1p
. . 2* Cloak of Darkness: Cloud Area Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Extras: Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 14) - [12] - 1p

This was a little tricky to parse. The Concealment was easy enough, but the inside of the "cloak" is essentially like a tinted window you can see out but no one can see in, and if anyone steps in (there's no barrier and plenty of room) they can see just fine. I couldn't decide if this was an Extra or Flaw, so I just left it.

. . 2 Concealment: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Extras: Affects Objects Only; Flaws: Custom 2: Only objects size rank -3 or less, Resistible: Will) - [2] - 1p
. . 2 Detect Concealment: Burst Area Nullify 2 (Counters: Mystical Concealment, DC 12; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Selective, Simultaneous, Sustained; Flaws: Reduced Range: close) - [6] - 1p
. . 2 Extinguish Fire: Burst Area Nullify 3 (Counters: Fire, DC 13; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 13, Sustained) - [6] - 1p
. . 2 Fear (Horror Factor: 1 6): Cloud Area Affliction 6 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 16; Extras: Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Increased Range: ranged, Reaction: reaction, Sustained; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) - [24] - 1p

An actual HF power. This one comes out expensive since it's giving a distant area a Horror Facor and it keeps happening if you stay in the area, so Reaction and the high rank make it twice that cost of any spell in tis level.

. . 2 Heavy Breathing: Perception Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Compelled (flee), Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Perception Area: DC 12 - Hearing, Increased Range: ranged, Sustained; Flaws: Limited Degree) - [4] - 1p

This one is similar to Horror Factor, but far cheaper since it only has to work once. HB could probably also have Concentrate on it to keep the sound roaming around and scaring people, but it's not strictly necessary. I do like Perception Area for these.

. . 2 Levitation: Burst Area Move Object 2 (200 lbs.; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Custom: can affect self (as per limited Flying 1), Selective, Sustained; Flaws: Limited Direction: Straight up, Reduced Range: close) - [5] - 1p
. . 2* Manipulate Objects 10th level: Burst Area Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 11; Flaws: Limited Material: Object mass rank -2, Quirk: 6' ceiling, Reduced Range: close) - [1] - 1p

Again, two very similar and alphabet-adjacent powers that could easily be one better and cheaper power. Pretty sure I saw Manipulate Objects in action in "Fantastic Beasts . . ."

. . 2 Turn Dead: Shapeable Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 12, Increased Range: ranged, Sustained; Flaws: Limited: only affects "animated" dead, Limited Degree) - [2] - 1p

I used Shapeable Area largely because the spell specifies affecting 1d6 dead, and Shape essentially hits 7 people-sized targets. You could easily swap in another Area, probably Cone would be best

That's the first two levels, made up of about two dozen spells. At this size it actually becomes more viable to put all the spells in a Variable Effect so you can pull them up as needed. This Wide Array currently costs 45p, which is the same cost as Variable 5 bought to Free Action; add my Custom Flaw: Predefined List, and it's no question.

*not in original core Rifts book
Last edited by JDRook on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

For me I honestly think Death Trance is a 1 pt feature you basically drop into suspended animation and awaken when the duration expires or you are woken by other means
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
JDRook

Rifts Psionics: Healing

Post by JDRook »

I still want to get all of the spells done, but let's switch gears a bit.

In Rifts, Psionics is about as prevalent as Magic, if not more so. There are OCCs and RCCs that specialize in their Psi like Mind Melters or Bursters, others that get a handful of Psi as an extra with their other traits, and if you don't get them that way you can roll randomly with a 25-40% chance of just having some Psi with any class. There may be a few that are specifically unable, but these will be very specialized.

They are similar to magic, particularly lower level spells, and quite a few Psi are just reskinned spells with slightly different ranges, durations or costs (in ISP instead of PPE). Saving throws are also in the 12-16 range generally, just like magic. They are a different descriptor, though, and that can be important occasionally, especially when immunities come up.

Healing

The smallest and most specialized of the Psionics, Healing is of course useful if you survive all the insta-death flying around. Obviously it's based mostly around Healing and Regeneration, with a few other options thrown in, some purely for flavour. It's intentionally not very combat-oriented, despite the usefulness of a "combat medic" style character. There is some room to make something like this, although the Psi seems a little hobbled in this regard, especially when converting to M&M.

Besides all of the other details common to Psionics (range, duration, etc), Healing has one aspect not common to other Psi-sets: Length of Trance. This is applied to most of the Healing Psi, and I strongly suspect it was introduced in an earlier Pre-Rifts book and just never edited out. It makes the Psi-Healer need to perform a meditative trance for about a minute and often longer before using the Psi. Mechanically, I represent this with the Slow Flaw, good for any power that takes between a minute and an hour to perform. This makes the powers very inexpensive and very limited in usefulness, especially since M&M by default lets PC get over most basic damage by the next scene. I assume the Rifts designers didn't want to have Healing be too effective so there'd be necessary downtime for PCs to RP in.

Healing Psi: Wide Array - 10p pool

. . Bio-Regeneration: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds; Extras: Persistent, Sustained; Flaws: Source: Trance) [1] - 1p

The RAW Bio-Reg is a little weird, healing every melee (15 seconds in Rifts) for a minute of meditation and then requiring a minute off for some reason. You could heal an average of 40 SDC per minute session, so about 400 SDC in 20 minutes, which is good enough for most PCs. There is a note that healing more than half your SDC in one sitting will leave you weakened and slower by 30% for several hours, which was probably used to enforce consequences of damage a little more in Rifts, but might actually make a nice Complication.
M&M Regeneration can basically heal all conditions in about 10 cycles, so once a minute is more than enough, and that's assuming the damage won't just go away, hence Persistent.

. . Deaden Pain: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Pain; Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance)) [1] - 1p

Basically an anaesthetic, although resisting pain-based attacks could be useful for other things, including interrogation, but the prep time is 2 minutes.

. . Detect Psionics: Senses 3 (Awareness: Psionics, Detect: Psionics 2: ranged; Extras: Sustained) [4] - 1p
. . Exorcism: Nullify 8 (Counters: Possession, DC 18; Extras: Reach (melee): 5 ft., Sustained; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance), Reduced Range: close) [4] - 1p

Exorcisms take 36-66 minutes, so really it's a whole scene by itself. It technically requires two rolls; one to leave the body and one to leave this dimension, but failure on the second one still means it "goes away" for a while, so it's really more of a Complication.

. . Healing Touch: Healing 5 (Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance), Limited: Others Only) [3] - 1p

About as close to standard fantasy healing as it gets. Still requires a 2 minute Trance.

. . Increased Healing: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds; Extras: Affects Others Only, Sustained) [1] - 1p

Practically useless. The RAW version "doubles" natural healing rate to like 12 SDC a DAY, plus the Trance literally takes 1d6 hours. Conversion-wise, it's not even worth making it a Feature, so options are either make a Bio-Regen for Others (feels too powerful for concept), or just ignore it.

. . Induce Sleep: Affliction 2 (3rd degree: Asleep, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance), Limited Degree (third only)) [1] - 1p

This isn't a mid-combat shutdown, the target has to WANT to sleep. 2 min trance. Might make a nice RP moment getting a Juicer or Crazy to sleep. Mostly a flavour power.

. . Psychic Diagnosis/Surgery: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Treatment +20 (+20); Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance)) [5] - 1p

Combined the two because you can't really use them separately. Assuming your GM doesn't always hand-wave broken bones and shrapnel, this is probably one of the better powers. Trance takes several minutes and surgery is "half normal" time. Treatment maxed out partly to compensate for suboptimal operating conditions, but a serious healer character likely has at least a little Treatment already.

. . Psychic Purification: Nullify 12 (Counters: chemicals, drugs, poisons, and toxins, DC 20; Flaws: Custom: Slow (Trance), Reduced Range: close) [4] - 1p

About a 20 minute trance. Almost made it Simultaneous, but you have time to pick out all the drugs.

. . Resist Fatigue: Immunity 5 (Fatigue Effects; Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Activation 2 (Standard)) [3] - 1p
. . Restore P.P.E.: Feature 1 (Flaws: Side Effect 2: always - Take a Fatigue)

Restore PPE just turns the healer's ISP into the patient's PPE. Since I'm not using the energy points, this would be a power to counteract a Power Loss Complication for running out of energy, with an Extra Effort cost.

. . Stop Bleeding: Feature 1 (Advantages: Diehard; Extras: Affects Others [1 extra rank], Sustained) [4] - 1p

Another custom job, although like Increased Healing it hardly seems worth it. AFAIK there's no fixed rules for bleeding in M&M (or Rifts, for that matter), and the description of the power basically looks like "put pressure on it" done psychically, and you can't even really do it at range. It's basically psi-boosted First Aid, so you may as well just get a few ranks of Treatment.

. . Suppress Fear: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Fear Effects; Extras: Affects Others, Sustained) [4] - 1p

Fearless for Others!

As you can see, there's a bigger range than you might expect, but maybe only a handful of powers you'd actually want. All come in under 5p and you could easily make an Array or Variable that gets you everything you want for less than 10p if you want to add a "PsiMed" specialty to a PC.
JDRook

Rifts Psionics: Sensitive

Post by JDRook »

On to the more varied and interesting Sensitive Psionics.

For my money, these are what comes to mind when you say "psychic powers." These are all the extrasensory perception tricks and mind play. Physical stuff like telekinesis is in there, but this is the top of the list.

Psi-Senstive Wide Array: 20p pool

. . Astral Projection: Remote Sensing 12 (Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual - Vision & Hearing, Range: 16 miles; Extras: Feature 2: Can See Invisible, Subtle: Mental; Flaws: Side Effect 2: always - Physical Body is Defenseless) [15] - 1p

This isn't very different from the Mystic Archetype Astral Projection, although there is a whole section in the Rifts book about exploring the Astral Plane that essentially has its own ruleset. Ignoring that for now, the PC's astral form theoretically has no range limit, but can only fly at Mach 1 and can only project for 5min/lvl, so rank 12 range is based on Mach 1 flying for2.5 minutes. "Subtle" can only be seen by mental sense of psychics, magic creatures, and children.

. . Clairvoyance: Senses 4 (Precognition) [4] - 1p
. . Commune with Spirits: Comprehend 1 (Spirits - Communicate) [2] - 1p

Classic "crystal ball" medium stuff

. . Death Trance: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Flaws: Limited: Can't move or act, Quirk: Perception at -5) [3] - 1p

I know Catsi mentioned Death Trance can just be a 1p Feature and be done with it, but I can't seem to stop messing with it. The Morph idea I got from Jab (genius!), but the Perception Quirk I adapted from another power in the Super-Psionics section about possessing inanimate objects.

. . Empathy: Mind Reading 5 (DC 12; Flaws: Limited to Emotions) [5] - 1p
. . Intuitive Combat: Enhanced Trait 15 (Traits: Agility +3 (+3), Fighting +1 (+1), Athletics +2 (+2), Dodge +1 (+1), Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack, Uncanny Dodge; Flaws: Activation 2: standard action) [13] - 1p

This actually has a 1 melee (15 second) prep time which I just made a Standard Activation to be slightly more combat-worthy. As written it gives a slight bump to Attack checks but will push your Defensive PL up 3 levels, so it should probably be tuned to the PC that uses it.

. . Machine Ghost (Notes: may add "virtual world" stuff later) [5] - 1p
. . . . High Speed Transfer: Quickness 3 (Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Flaws: Limited to One Task: Reading Data) [1]
. . . . Read Data: Comprehend 2 (Machines / Electronics) [4]

Similarly written to Astral Projection, the basic level is purely read -only informational, with this Tron-esque "virtual plane" taking up most of the column inches.

. . Mind Block & Mind Mask - 19p
. . . . Alternate Mind Mask: Illusion 10 (Affects: One Sense Type - Psionic, Area: 1000 cft., DC 20; Extras: Independent; Flaws: Reduced Range 2: close) [5]
. . . . Block: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Mental Effects) [10]
. . . . Mask Psi & Magic: Concealment 2 (Other Sense Type: Psionic) [4]

Standard Mind Block, but I wanted to add some flair to it by combining it with some minor powers that actually complement it well. Mask ISP & PPE is basically just spoofing See Aura and other mental senses, so I have a Mental Concealment for hiding and a Mental Illusion for disguising.

. . Object Read: Senses 4 (Postcognition; Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Source: Personal Objects) [2] - 1p
. . Presence Sense: Senses 4 (Acute: , Detect: Supernatural Creature 2: ranged, Radius: ; Extras: Sustained) [4] - 1p
. . Read Dimensional Portal: Senses 3 (Detect Portal Traits: Acute, Analytical) [3] - 1p

A very Rifts-specific sense, it gives a sense of where a portal goes, who last used it, how to operate it, etc.

. . Remote Viewing: Remote Sensing 22 (Affects: Visual Senses, Range: 16000 miles; Extras: Subtle: DC 20+rank; Flaws: Custom: Only once a day for a few rounds, Source: Image of Subject) [12] - 1p

It's the bathroom psychic section! Remote Viewing does what some might expect Astral Projection to do, jumping directly to an overhead shot of whomever you want to creepily psi-stalk as long as you have a picture of them.

. . See Aura: Senses 9 (Analytical: Life Detect, Awareness: Life Detect, Awareness: Possession, Detect: Life 2: ranged, Detect: Magic 2: ranged, Detect: Aberration 2: ranged) [9] - 1p
. . See the Invisible: Senses 2 (Counters Concealment: Invisible) [2] - 1p
. . Sense Dimensional Anomaly: Senses 3 (Awareness: Dimension Anomaly, Extended: 1: x10, Tracking: 1: -1 speed rank) [3] - 1p

This one is obviously meant for detecting rifts doing their riftsy things, but it specifically mentions also detecting things like teleportation and Temporal Magic and other things that "disrupt the fabric of reality" so it could have a lot of uses.

. . Sense Evil: Senses 4 (Detect: Supernatural Evil 2: ranged, Radius, Tracking -1 speed rank) [4] - 1p
. . Sense Magic: Senses 2 (Awareness: Magic, Radius) [2] - 1p
. . Sense Time: Senses 1 (Time Sense) [1] - 1p
. . Sixth Sense: Senses 3 (Detect Imminent Threat, Mental: Ranged, Danger Sense) [3] - 1p

I complain a lot about the use of Danger Sense, and this just showcases it. DS is not so much a sense as an add-on (like Tracking or Analytical) for another sense, so you have to either add DS to an existing sense like Hearing or Scent, or build a new sense for it from scratch. Also, in this case, Sixth Sense should probably NOT be in an array structure; it should be a standalone power so that it's always ready to ping you for danger.

. . Speed Reading: Quickness 3 (Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Flaws: Limited to One Task: Reading) [1] - 1p
. . Telepathy [16] - 1p
. . . . Mental Communication 2 (Flaws: Limited: Transmit brief messages only)
. . . . Mind Reading 5 (DC 15)
. . Total Recall: Enhanced Intellect 9 (+9 INT, Advantages: Eidetic Memory; Flaws: Limited: Memory Checks) [10] - 1p

Over 20 psi-powers with a good range of functionality. Most are 15p or much less, so you could easily make a Rank 3 Free Action Predefined List Variable for 24p that could call up all of them.
Last edited by JDRook on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDRook

Rifts Psionics: Let's Get Physical!

Post by JDRook »

And then there's the flashy stuff, the spoon-bending and fire-starting, all the crazy "-kineses". Most of it is still pretty low-power, though. I remember seeing most of these in Beyond the Supernatural when it first came out (also, I think, the very first Palladium book to have Psychic Potential Energy, but I might be wrong), and I don't think they've been edited since then, so they seem really underpowered. Actually the impressive stuff has moved into the Super category, which I'll finish with later.

Physical Psionics: Wide Array - 10p pool
. . Alter Aura: Illusion 12 (Affects: One Sense Type - Aura, Area: 4000 cft., DC 22; Flaws: Reduced Range 2: close) [4] - 1p

I had considered using Concealment, but Alter Aura doesn't hide your aura, it creates false information, so it's essentially a psychic disguise. I almost made it a Morph Limited to Auras, but this feels like less overkill and is a little cheaper.

. . Deaden Senses: Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impaired, Resisted by: Will, DC 13; Extras: Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Subtle: Mental Awareness; Flaws: Limited Degree 2) [7] - 1p

Basically a psionic Befuddle; you could use the "1st degree Condition w/ 3rd degree saves" like I did with Befuddle to match the duration better. I like how this one is more deliberately Insidious, though.

. . Death Trance: Morph 1 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form; Flaws: Limited: Can't Move or Act, Limited: Perception at -5) [4] - 1p
. . Ectoplasm: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Subtle: subtle; Flaws: Activation 2: standard action) [1] - 1p
. . Ectoplasmic Disguise: Morph 2 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Narrow group; Flaws: Custom: Fragile, Distracting) [6] - 1p

The two Eco-powers! Ectoplasm is basically Telekinesis only worse in every possible way. In Rifs, Ecto has a slight edge in Duration, but that's about it. The only other advantage over TK is maybe more interesting descriptor, otherwise I can't imagine anyone choosing this over TK when both are available.
Ecto-Disguise is certain more effective, with limits that make it difficult to use in combat but still useful in most other RP scenes. The Custom Fragile is for the way it breaks off if damaged, although it does seal up relatively quickly; this might be better as a Complication.

. . Impervious to Cold: Immunity 1 (Environmental Condition: Cold) [1] - 1p
. . Impervious to Fire: Immunity 6 (Damage Effect: Fire, Environmental Condition: Heat; Flaws: Quirk: Half Damge for Magic Fire) [5] - 1p
. . Impervious to Poison/Toxin: Immunity 1 (Poison) [1] - 1p

Basic Immunities. I was a little surprised there wasn't something that protected from super/magic cold; I'm sure they would have retconned it in for the sake of the Heroes Unlimited crossover but as noted, they have updated much since the first printing. Imp to Poison also has a Poison Identifying skill tied to it, which could be a Acute Detect Sense, but also +2 to save, which seems useless if you're already impervious.

. . Levitation: Move Object 3 (400 lbs.; Extras: Feature: Can lift self; Flaws: Custom: Low Ceiling, Diminished Range 2, Limited Direction: Straight up, Notes: Cannot lift targets more than 15 feet up. Can lift self 30 feet) [1] - 1p

Again, vastly inferior to TK, even if it had only one of direction or height limit. The ONLY advantage is the PC can opt to levitate themselves, which basic TK specifically can't do.

. . Mind Block: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Psionics) [10] - 1p
. . Nightvision: Senses 1 (Low-light Vision) [1] - 1p
. . Resist Fatigue: Immunity 5 (Fatigue Effects) [5] - 1p
. . Resist Hunger/Thirst: Immunity 1 (Starvation & Thirst) [1] - 1p
. . Summon Inner Strength: Enhanced Stamina 1 (+1 STA, Advantages: Diehard, Great Endurance) [4] - 1p

It may be implied that you can't "stack" SIS on itself, but I can see a GM letting you dump ISP to make more temporary SDC in a hurry. For conversion purposes, this wouldn't quite work as well, so 1 rank of STA covers it.

. . Telekinesis: Move Object 3 (400 lbs.; Extras: Precise, Subtle: subtle; Flaws: Diminished Range 2) [6] - 1p
. . Telekinetic Leap: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour; Extras: Sustained) [2] - 1p
. . Telekinetic Lift: Enhanced Strength 1 (+1 STR; Flaws: Limited to Lifting) [1] - 1p
. . Telekinetic Punch: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 17) [2] - 1p
. . Telekinetic Push: Move Object 2 (200 lbs.; Extras: Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Flaws: Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range: close) [2] - 1p

And the whole TK suite! Of course, only the base TK even existed in the first edition of the core book, because why expand the power when you can just make up whole new ones? I set a Rank 3 TK to lift 400lbs max, which would cost 46 ISP; OCCs like the Mind Melter could easily have more, but they'd also go for SuperTK. The Leap also gives a bonus for your Leap Attack (the Gold Standard for Maximum Melee Damage in Palladium) but also hurts you; the converted damage isn't bad for a non-MDC non-combatant (Damage 5-6) so it might be worth adding something like "+2 Damage limited to Slams" for 1p. The Punch is similar with the equivalent of a DC14 Save or take Damage 1, and potential a rank or two of Reach for higher levels. The Push is definitely something that should be added to the base TK.

Surprisingly, most of the powers came out roughly as cheap as the Healing Psionics. Many end up just being 1p, and might be better bought as standalone powers, particularly Senses and Immunities, with a Complication that they don't work if you run out of psychic energy. Otherwise you could again fit all of the Physical Psionics in a rank 2 Variable for 16p.
Last edited by JDRook on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDRook

Rifts Psionics: Super-Psyze me!

Post by JDRook »

Finally, the Riftsiest of the Psionics, the ones tuned for a setting literally soaked in psychic power. Which is not to say some of them don't still really suck. A few are from the original 3 flavours and just got moved, occasionally with no adjustment. Still, these ones are limited to the psychic VIPs, so it's not all bad either.

Also, unlike the other psionic types, it would be difficult to get all of the Super Psionics, and not particularly desirable. Some are also effectively Arrays by themselves. For this reason, I've listed their point totals differently than the others.

. . Bio-Manipulation Array - 25p
. . . . Blind/Deaf: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception, Variable Descriptor: close group - Different Senses) [21]
. . . . Mute: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Mute, 3rd degree: Mute, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception) [20]
. . . . Pain/Tissue Manipulation: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Diabled (long lasting), Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception, Variable Descriptor: close group - Irritants/Pain, Notes: Tissue Manipulation is just the first degree) [21]
. . . . Stun/Paralysis: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception) [20]

There are actually 7 Bio-Manip power but they are all very similar, enough so that I was able to group most of them up. Blind/Deaf, while they have differently penalties in Rifts, are essentially the same in M&M but applied to different senses, so the penalties would be more situational. Mute is a house-ruled Condition; I set it as a 2nd degree and let it go to 3rd for the one-minute saves. Tissue Manipulation is really just low level Pain both mechanically and conceptually, and Stun/Paralysis is similar.
You can even take it further with Variable Condition from the Power Profiles and replace the whole array with this:

. . . . Bio-Manipulation: Cumulative Affliction 5 (Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception, Variable Condition (All)) [30]

. . Bio-Regeneration: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds; Extras: Persistent, Sustained; Flaws: Source: Trance) - 1p

Strangely, Super-Bio-Reg is inferior to basic B-R in almost every way. Super seems to have fewer limit and heal more after the minute of concentration, but Basic actually heals every Melee, or 4 times per minute, so even though it heals less per pulse and only every other minute, Basic actually heals more than Super over any given amount of time. It doesn't have the note about being weakened if you heal more than half your total, but I somehow doubt that was an intentional choice of editorial oversight.

. . Electrokinesis Array - 24p
. . . . Electrical M.D. Attack: Damage 9 (DC 24; Extras: Penetrating 9, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.) - 20p
. . . . Electrical Resistance: Immunity 5 (Damage Effect: Electrical; Quirk: Magic & rank 10+ attacks do half damage) [4] - 1p
. . . . Manipulate Electrical Devices: Burst Area Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 11, Precise; Flaws: Limited: Electrical Devices, Reduced Range: close) [3] - 1p
. . . . Sense Electricity: Senses 4 (Detect Electrical Devices: Accurate, Radius) [4] - 1p
. . . . Static Aura: Damage 1 (DC 16; Extras: Reaction 3: reaction) [4] - 1p

The first 'Kinesis with Mega-Damage! This power is identical to the old contemporary power but with the MD Attack slapped on the top, and yes, that's a 10' range, so it's basically a Mega-Damage cattle prod. You also had a range of damage you could do, but I figure you could cover that with free Power Attack maneuver. The old Electrical Discharge seems kind of pointless in the shadow of that, so I changed it to a Static Aura. Manipulate Electrical Devices is the same, but actually still feels really viable in a high-tech setting. Electrical Resistance and Sense Electricity are also unchanged; both would probably be best built outside of an array.

. . Empathic Transmission: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception; Flaws: Limited: Emotions) - 15p

This is the easiest way to do this, but similar to Bio-Manipulation, they describe several emotions and mechanical effects. Most have a penalty on par with Impaired along with something else that will usually end a fight (Despair/Sorrow=surrender, Fear=run, Love/Trust/Peacefulness=reconsider actions, etc). This is probably best roleplayed for each situation, with the GM occasionally throwing in an unexpected reaction to emotion to keep it less reliable than straight mind control. More fun, too! Also, you could use the same Variable Conditions Affliction as Bio-Manipulation, or even use a single build for both powers.

. . Group Mind Block: Burst Area Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Psionics; Extras: Burst Area 3: 120 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Insidious, Subtle: Detect Psionics) - 42p

Mostly self-evident, but they do underline the fact that those affected can't tell (hence Insidious) so you can "black out" psychic communication without tipping anyone off. The most expensive non-physical power, largely due to the huge area.

. . Hydrokinesis - 19p
. . . . Boil Water: Feature 1 [1] - 1p
. . . . Sense Chemical Impurities: Senses 2 (Detect Chemical Impurities: Acute) [2] - 1p
. . . . Sense Water: Senses 3 (Detect Water: Ranged, Radius) [3] - 1p
. . . . Water Spout - Boiling Water - 13p
. . . . . . Blinding: Progressive Affliction 2 (Linked; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 12; Extras: Increased Range: ranged, Progressive) [8]
. . . . . . Boiling Splash: Damage 2 (Linked; DC 17; Extras: Increased Range: ranged) [4]
. . . . Water Spout AE [6] - 1p
. . . . . . Distracting Splash: Affliction 9 (1st degree: Dazed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Extras: Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree 2) [3]
. . . . . . Water Spout: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Increased Range: perception, Precise; Flaws: Limited Material: Water) [3]

No effort was made to update this one; no MD Water Splash. Sense Water and Boil Water are fine for their cost and would fit in perfectly as a Sense or Healer psionic power, but the rest feels like more trouble than it's worth. The Rifts book also makes a point to mention that good characters would only throw boiling water in someone's face in a dire emergency.

. . Hypnotic Suggestion: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception; Flaws: Limited: Simple Suggestions & Calming, Sense-dependent: eye contact.) - 10p

Mind Control lite.

. . Mentally Possess Others: Affliction 15 (3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 25; Flaws: Limited: Physical Body is Defenseless, Limited Degree (third only)) - 5p

Standard Possession. Originally I had this at 5 ranks with all 3 of the usual degrees for Mind Control, plus Cumulative and Progression to make it stick quick. However, since it's also a Close Attack, I realized I could just make it 3rd Degree only, peel out all of the Extra and crank it up by 10 ranks to get that 3rd degree check on a single roll. You might need a few ranks of Inaccurate as well to make it fit PL, but otherwise I think it's actually simpler, more effective and cheaper than the other way.

. . Mind Block Auto-Defense: Senses 2 (Psionic Probe/Attack Awareness: Acute; Extras: Feature: Adds Triggered to Mind Block) - 3p

Like Sixth Sense and similar powers, this should probably be outside an array so that it's always available, including the Mind Block itself. In Rifts, it's actually bought by permanently giving up 14 I. S.P.

. . Mind Bolt: Damage 5 (DC 20; Extras: Accurate 4: +8, Ranged, Penetrating 5, Power Attack) - 20p

Damage and Accuracy both vary depend on ISP, so I maxed out Accuracy and added Power Attack with the rank equal to max damage when fully traded off. So it's usually either Shotgun level at +8 or MD laser pistol level at +3.

. . Mind Bond - 17p
. . . . Mind Bond: Mind Reading 10 (DC 20; Extras: Cumulative, Custom: Full Mind Scan at 5th Degree; Flaws: Close Range 2, Side Effect 2: always - Victim Reads User's Mind As Well) [5]
. . . . Shared Skills & Knowledge: Variable 2 (Flaws: Limited: Skills of Subject) [12]

This requires a little handwaving as Mind Reading is supposed to only cover the equivalent of one question per action; there's no set rule for "full infodump", so I've added a houseruled 5th degree "total brainscan" as a Custom Extra It's also Touch Range, which means Mind Reading can be higher rank than PL depending on CC bonus. Also, Variable 2 can cover any single skill under +20 and can change as a Standard Action (call it "Accessing Memories") to simulate any particular skill or a group of smaller ones. Anything not an actual skill should be Expertise:Mind Bonded Subject up to +20. Memory is only complete for 3D4 hours and then it's a 15% roll to remember until the memories vanish in a month. I'd probably just drop the Variable to 1 rank and add Unreliable after the first few hours and have it all vanish in a day; why drag it out? My favourite is that the target gets all of your memories too EXCEPT the fact that they'll all fade soon so they won't think to take notes.

. . Mind Wipe: Cumulative Affliction 10 (3rd degree: Transformed, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Extras: Cumulative; Flaws: 3rd Degree Only, Slow: The process takes about three minutes to complete) - 5p

Another intense mental power, this allows sections of memory to be wiped for a few days, or permanently for a big chunk of ISP, or total mind wipe for permanent M.E. loss of 4 points (AWE drain). This is likely to keep mind wipes from getting too popular, like bonding and immediately wiping someone. I'd porbably simulate the big ISP drop with Extra Effort plus Power Loss for psionics until the PC can meditate for a few hours or something. Permanently losing AWE (1 rank each time) seems reasonable, but since it is point-buy those points should come back as something else eventually.

. . P.P.E. Shield: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Mental Drains) - 2p

This would hold back Psi-Stalker drains and similar, so it might depend on how those mechanics work.

. . Psi-Shield: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Parry +10 (+10)) - 10p
. . Psi-Sword: Damage 11 (DC 26; Extras: Penetrating 11; Flaws: Activation 2: standard action) - 20p

Shield treatment is very different in both systems. In Rifts, you need an MDC shield to parry Mega-Damage attacks and you can't defend against ranged attacks with it. In M&M, shields are usually just a Dodge/Parry bonus helping avoid everything. I stuck with just adding Parry, but this will probably cause PL problems, so I wouldn't expect to keep it that way.
The Sword can't even be acquired as a power until 3rd level but is quite powerful off the bat and gets moreso fairly quickly. Damage can be varied but this is easiest to simulate with free tradeoffs.

. . Psionic Invisibility: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Flaws: Passive, Resistible: Will) - 5p
. . Psychic Body Field: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness; Extras: Impervious) - 20p

Both powers can work fine as written, but have a few funny details. The Invisibility is purely psionic and only works if no attacks or effects checks are attempted, and doesn't work on machines, but the psi-field has 100' range, so a guard watching a camera within that range also subconsciously ignores the PC. The Force Field works like most, protecting only the PC's body, but also blocking any sense of touch, so presumably you can't drop part of the field without turning it off, which could be a Flaw or at least a Complication.

. . Psychic Omni-Sight - 11p
. . . . Enhanced Trait 3 (Linked; Traits: Perception +6 (+6); Flaws: Limited 2: Only Sight, while Entranced) [1]
. . . . Senses 11 (Linked; Darkvision, Electrical Sight, Infravision, Secret Door Sight, Ultravision, Analytical Vision, Extended Vision x10, Radius Vision, Reach (ranged) 4: 20 ft.; Flaws: Source: Trance) [10]

All Senses are bought as Sight, so they can be blinded like any other sight, and they are also all Acute and Accurate by default.

. . Psychosomatic Disease: Affliction 5 (Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Reach (ranged) 2: 10 ft., Variable Condition (All); Flaws: Slow: 2D6 minutes) - 12p

Like Hypnotic Suggestion, the PC "suggests" the target has the disease and after a few minutes they start to display symptoms that can last for days. Sample diseases in the M&M Handbook are mostly Afflictions with Impair/Disable, Dazed/Stunned, Hinderd/Immobile and Incap, or some combination of those. A PC may have a favorite and just stick with that for a cheaper build.

. . Pyrokinesis - 84p
. . . . Create Flame: Shapeable Area Damage 8 (DC 23; Extras: Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 18, Increased Duration 2: sustained, Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Diminished Range 2) [38]
. . . . Extinguish Flame: Cloud Area Nullify 5 (Counters: Fire, DC 15; Extras: Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 15) [10]
. . . . Fire Ball: Damage 8 (DC 23; Extras: Increased Range: ranged, Penetrating 8; Flaws: Diminished Range 2) [22]
. . . . Fire Resistant: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: heat and fire; Flaws: Limited - Half Effect, Quirk: Doesn't affect magic fires) [4]
. . . . Fuel Flame: Cloud Area Feature 1 (Extras: Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 11, Increased Range: ranged, Notes: Doubles Flame Size) [3]
. . . . Sense Fire: Senses 4 (Fire Awareness: Accurate, Radius; Extras: Feature: +4 Perception) [5]
. . . . Spontaneous Combustion: Feature 1 (Extras: Ranged, Notes: Creates Flammable Spark) [2]

PK comes in costing twice as much as the next highest Super-Psi (Group Mind Block). Create Flame is the most expensive aspect since it needs to make an Area (wall or column) of Mega-Damage Fire that needs to Sustained. Extinguish should be good enough for campfire and blowtorches, while more powerful fires will get tricky. Fuel Flame and Spotaneous Combustion are both custom Features to make a spark and grow it. The rest is pretty straightforward.

. . Radiate Horror Factor: Perception Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Will, DC 12, Advantages: Daze (Intimidation), Startle; Extras: Perception Area: DC 12 - Visual, Reaction ; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited: Once per encounter, Limited Degree) - 6p

The save is tricky to parse for this; it assigns you a Horror Factor based on alignment and level, and then says the power has a -1 to save vs HF. Why not just add 1 to the assigned numbers? So Good/Unprincipled get a flat 10, no improvement (so a functional 11? . . .), Anarchist is 10+1/3lvls, 12+1/3lvls for the Evils, and a bonus +1 if also insane or enraged beyond reason. [italics theirs] It would probably be simpler to match your Intimidation check. The Advantages aren't really necessary, but I threw them on for flavour.

. . Telekinesis (Super): Move Object 6 (3200 lbs., Advantages: Power Attack; Extras: Split 2: 3 targets, Subtle: subtle) - 16p

More powerful than basic TK, but not actuall by much. Rank 6 should be close to the maximum for a Mind Melter for a while, even if he rolled well. Mega-Damage kicks in a little early, set for 1d4/100lbs, when most conversion estimates would require at least a couple tons; hence, Power Attack.

. . Telekinetic Acceleration Attack: Damage 8 (DC 23; Extras: Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Diminished Range, Quirk: requires objects to fire) - 14p

Uses railgun principles but still has a painfully short range. Since it's technically several small accelerated objects, there's a temptation to make it Multiattack, but there's nothing that says you can hit multiples targets and it's kinda cheesy anyway.

. . Telekinetic Force Field - 39p
. . . . Force Field: Create 7 (Volume: 125 cft., DC 17; Extras: Impervious, Continuous Duration, Stationary, Subtle: transparent) [30]
. . . . Parry Attacks at Range: Deflect 10 (Flaws: Diminished Range) [9]

Essentially creates grounded MDC bubbles (Toughness 7 at lvl 1 but increases quickly). Didn't bother making bubble shape a Flaw; can slightly vary size and make unlimited number. Can trap just like Create does. Bubbles are considered airtight but contain just enough air to last until they dissipate. Added Deflect so bubbles could be made defensively, but probably should be Linked.

. . Telemechanics - 22p
. . . . Direct Communication: Comprehend 2 (Machines / Electronics) [4]
. . . . High-speed Transfer: Quickness 3 (Perform routine tasks in -3 time ranks; Flaws: Limited to One Task: Read data) [1]
. . . . Psychic Knowledge: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Technology +12 (+12); Flaws: Limited: Machine currently touching) [3]
. . . . Sense Electronics: Senses 5 (Detect Electronics, Accurate, Ranged, Radius) [5]
. . . . Telemechanic Mental Operation: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Increased Range: perception; Flaws: Limited Direction: Normal Operations, Limited Material: Electronics)[1]
. . . . Telemechanic Paralysis: Nullify 1 (Counters: Electronics, DC 11; Extras: Custom: Maintain with Move Actions, Increased Duration: concentration, Increased Range: perception)[4]
. . . . Telemechanic Possession: Cumulative Affliction 5 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 15; Extras: Cumulative; Flaws: Limited: Machines only, Quirk: Perception is -5 for all senses machince does not possess) [4]

And the Telemechanics suite. Amazingly effective for its cost, even after combining all 4 powers into one package. High-speed transfer is technically not part of Telemechanics, but it is for Machine Ghost, so I'm sure they would have put it in had someone thought to do it.
+12 seems like a good level of knowledge for it (the book gives 80% and 88%) but may need adjusting depending on PC's current Tech skill and PL. Mental Ops is based on Manipulate Tech in the Power Profiles and doesn't need a lot of STR so it's the cheapest. I also added Sense Electronis with Accurate so TMO and T-Paralysis didn't need to be seen to be affected.

A surprising number of these cost less than 20p, although that is based on a common rank 2 to match standard beginner saving throws, so it might be more accurate to raise them up to around 5 to get a better feel for relative strengths. The larger ones could be standalone powers, or could array with a few different things, although something like Electrokinesis and Telemechanics would work great together instead of arrayed.
Last edited by JDRook on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JDRook

Rifts Saves vs Magic & Psionics

Post by JDRook »

I set the rank on most spells and psi pretty low at 2 ranks in order to match what looked like standard saves in the book: 12 on a d20, which looks a lot like a DC12. Turns out that's not quite right. From what I can find in the Ultimate Edition:

Non-Psychics roll a 15 on d20 vs Psionics
Minor & Major psis roll 12
Master Psis roll 10
AND
Magic save is 12 but gets higher for stronger mages or rituals

So it's a little inconsistent. I assumed 12 was the base since practically everyone in Rifts seemed to be at least a minor psychic.

Save bonus conversion can be tricky as well since Rifts is big on descriptor specific saves, but it's simpler to just have defenses that represent most saves. For instance, Mental Endurance (ME) gives a bonus vs psionics and insanity, which translates well to Awareness giving ranks to Will to save against the same. However, Physical Endurance (PE) gives a bonus for poison & Magic saves, which makes Stamina & Fortitude the thing to resist magic.

I'm thinking it might be better to set psionics at rank 5 to match the non-psychic saves and better represent the base power and cost of psionics, but should that translate into a separate bonus for psionicists or just assume it's rolled in to other bonuses and/or high Will? And should I set magic at 5 as well or keep it at 2?

Ultimately these are all general guidelines since the final character would need tuning for the setting and group, but I do want a decent base to start from.
JDRook

Converting Rifts Physical Strength and other traits

Post by JDRook »

There are two character traits common to Rifts and M&M that can be measured against real-world numbers: how much you can lift and how fast you can travel. Everything else is largely subjective and only quantifiable by comparison at best.

The trick with these two systems is the treatment is so different. M&M is intentionally built to handle the huge disparity between normal human and superhuman levels of strength, and an exponential scale (similar to what was used in the old DC Heroes Mayfair system) does this pretty well. Palladium's, however, is more linear and based on their original fantasy setting, so high-end strength and lifting for various creature types (augmented/extraordinary humans, robots, supernatural creatures, etc) is a hodge-podge of new tables with variations just large enough to make a difference. Rather than go back and forth over and over between tables, I tried making a few charts:
Rifts to M&M Lifting Strength.jpg
Rifts to M&M Lifting Strength.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 13495 times

Going purely by lifting strength, the range actually compares really well on the unaugmented human side. Average Rifts PS rolls are going to be near 10-11, which is STR 1-2 in M&M, which is also average or slightly over. Arguably, the Rifts world is much harsher than say, contemporary Earth, even with superpowers, so a slight favoring to stronger types even among normals makes sense for the setting. There's also a bigger focus on gear in Rifts, so carrying capacity is much more vital than M&M. The "extraordinary" ranges of PS17-40 also map well onto STR3-4, which represent a good real-world maximum, with PS 40+ or STR 5 as possible but the absolute limit for unaugmented humans.

The rest get slightly different treatment, although lifting strength is essentially the same across the boards up to PS16. After that, Robots have a slight edge over humans and Supernaturals only slightly more, since the doubling of lifting weight for every rank gets rid of a lot of the granularity of the PS system. Giant Robots have an * and are ruled to have even better lifting capacities than anything else at their PS.

If you were using only lifting to set STR ranks, you could conceivably set STR at the base human level and have a +1 to Lifting for Robots, +2 for Supernaturals and +3 for Giant Robots and be covered. However, there's also this:
Rifts to M&M Approximate Damage.jpg
Rifts to M&M Approximate Damage.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 13495 times
These are comparative damage charts using the values I charted here. The centre yellow column represents the usual full-strength punch for that PS and type, with the left column showing restrained punches and the right power punches. Note that the red is for Augmented humans who only have Mega-Damage power attacks starting at PS21 and humans have no real "restrained punches" under PS40.

Again, the low-end and unmodified human PS map well onto mundane human STR, with the lifting STR always within 1 rank of the damage STR, demonstrating some consistency in the translation. The power punches for normals can be done with the Power Attack maneuver, whereas the Augmented types like Juicers or Crazies in the PS21-40 range might use +4 Damage with Activation to simulate the "two attacks" use of power punches, or just use the Power Attack Advantage.

Beyond that, it gets a little complex and really depends on what you consider important for your game and your character concept as to what to set your STR at. For instance, a Juicer at PS42 is about on par damage-wise with a Robot at PS22 and a Dragon at PS17; should they all have the same lifting capacity? They could all be STR 8 and use tradeoffs, or maybe STR 5 with some Damage ranks as training or claws or pure mass, or some other combo. On one hand, I like setting their STR at their restrained damage rank and adding Damage to get to full power, but I also think massive carrying capacities could be fun and not too broken, especially for the Robots and Supernatural types.

The other trait you can translate across well is Spd, since it's usually either in mph or calculable to 15mph for every 22 Spd. That means Spd 11 is about 7.5 mph, which is very close to Speed rank 2 in M&M. Again, that's average in Rifts but above average in M&M. so you could use the "harsh world" argument again, or build in some Athletics and use double moves. Flight is similar, although it's unclear whether Flight as a natural ability should also get a bonus from Athletics or other skills.

The rest of the Rifts Attributes have no mechanical effect unless they are really high (16+) or, by the Ultime Edition rules, really low (7-) and are at best a conglomeration of bonuses for various things. IQ is technically an INT bonus, but goes up by %, which translates to about 1/5 of a pip on a d20, so INT is better based on skill bonus, amount and types of skills, and really OCC and concept. ME goes to AWE, but really more to Will for things like psychic resistance and Horror Factor although Perception skill has become a thing in Rifts as well. MA is for PRE, with a trust/intimidate % roll based on very high MA, so it doesn't get used much. PP covers quite a bit, arguably both AGI and FGT; technically DEX as well, although M&M Dex skills don't map onto their Rifts counterparts since most aren't dependent on anything but IQ and OCC bonuses, but maybe Ranged Attack for Strike. PE goes to STA or rather more to Fortitude with saves vs disease, poison and Magic; Toughness I've been basing more on exponential SDC. PB is at best the Attractive Advantage, or possibly just Deception and Persuasion bonuses; the new low attribute rules will give low PB bonuses to interrogate and intimidate and even a Horror Factor!
JDRook

Re: Uh Oh, Rifts Magic!

Post by JDRook »

continuing UE spells Level 3-5

After much consideration I decided to leave magic spells at rank 2 (DC12) in most cases. Psychic attacks may start at DC15 for non-psychics with psychic OCCs effectively getting at least a +3 on top of any other bonuses, but magic doesn't have as many save bonuses floating around. Also, the 12 is a default 12 spell strength, which increases with experience (most magic OCCs reach spell strenght 15 around level 10) while psionic saves don't increase at all.

. . 2^ Mystic Alarm: Senses 1 (Communication Link: Magic; Extras: Affects Objects Only, Dimensional 3: any dimension, Increased Duration: continuous, Sustained, Triggered: 1 use - Touched by anyone but caster; Flaws: Limited: Alert only) - 5p

I "missed" this one because it doesn't actually exist in the UE book. It was in the original Rifts core but removed for unknown, possibly accidental reasons. There are quite a few that are new in the UE which I've tried to mark with *, but these lost spells I'm marking with ^. In this case, Mystic Alarm is kind of a weird spell anyway, since it's basically a magic security alarm for your stuff. Since it lasts so long (1 year/lvl) and doesn't cost that much, I can see PCs applying it to ALL of their stuff out-of-scene and then making their GM deal with the fact nothing they own (or eventually their group owns) can be touched without the mage being alerted, which could be annoying if not actually problematic. I'd probably just make it a short ritual to keep PCs from spamming it, but it might also have not seen a lot of use.

. . 3 Armor of Ithan - 25p
. . . . Armor: Protection 5 (Linked; +5 Toughness; Extras: Affects Others, Impervious) [15]
. . . . Resistant: Immunity 20 (Linked; Very Common Descriptor: Energy; Extras: Affects Others; Flaws: Limited: Magic sourced only, Limited - Half Effect) [10]

This one is also a little confusing, since again the UE and original core are different, but only very slightly. Core has "Magic, fire, lightning, and cold do one-half damage" while the UE says "Magic fire, lightning, and cold do half damage". That darned comma has me wondering if the Armor only does half-damage for magically-sourced fire/lightning/cold, or if there is a "pure Magic" Damage spell (Energy Bolt?) that would be halved by this. Since it's a relatively low-level spell, I decided to go broad but most limiting and cheapest, so all Energy attacks with a Magic Descriptor are half rank. The Affects Others is probably the most expensive aspect.

. . 3 Breathe Without Air: Immunity 2 (Suffocation (All); Extras: Affects Others) - 4p
. . 3 Energy Bolt: Damage 5 (DC 20; Extras: Accurate 4: +8, Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Quirk: Rank 4 normally, only 5 under ley line influence) - 13p
. . 3 Fingers of the Wind: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Increased Range: perception, Precise; Flaws: Custom 3: Equal to STR -2) - 1p

Very low-level TK. Presumably not even Subtle as a wind. Could easily be replaced by any other TK spell.

. . 3 Float in Air - 15p
. . . . Awkward Movement: Burst Area Affliction 2 (Linked; 1st degree: Hindered, Impaired, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 12; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Extra Condition, Selective; Flaws: Limited Degree 2) [4]
. . . . Float: Burst Area Movement Attack 3 (Linked; Safe Fall, Trackless: Visual 1, Water Walking 1: you sink if you are prone, DC 13; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 13, Attack: Fortitude, Selective; Quirk: Lose Floar if you resist Awkward) [11]

An interesting spell with a few applications, although a little expensive for what it is. Can potentially save the group from falling, get over water, leave no tracks, etc, as long as they can deal with the weirdness of floating.

. . 3 Fuel Flame: Burst Area Feature 1 (Extras: Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, DC 11, Increased Range: ranged, Sustained) - 4p
. . 3 Ignite Fire: Damage 3 (DC 18; Extras: Increased Duration 3: continuous, Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Custom 2: Takes 5 round to light, Diminished Range 2, Quirk: Requires combustibles) - 6p
. . 3 Impervious to Fire/Resist: Immunity 5 (Damage Effect: Fire; Extras: Affects Others, Increased Range: ranged, Sustained; Flaws: Diminished Range 2) - 13p

The Fire Suite! Fuel Flame is just a Feature to double size and damage, raising it 1 rank. Ignite is bought as damage with a long wait time; may need to be Subtle and/or Insidious to take advantage of the slow burn time. Impervious is straightforward, but there was also 3rd levelResist Fire which only protected for half-damage and was also more expensive, so ImpFire makes that redundant.

. . 3 Impervious to Poison: Immunity 1 (Poison; Extras: Affects Others, Sustained) - 1p
. . 3 Invisibility: Simple: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Flaws: Quirk 2: Not vs Infravision) - 6p

Simple enough, but note that most concealing spells are penetrated by Infravision.

. . 3 Negate Poison/Toxin: Nullify 2 (Counters: Poisons, DC 12; Flaws: Reduced Range: close) - 1p
. . 3 Paralysis : Lesser: Affliction 2 (1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 12; Extras: Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Limited: One Limb only) - 2p

In practice this might have different Conditions based on the limb you hit. Could be a Variable.

. . 3* Life Source (Notes: Special: Life Source applies a Side Effect to all spells, doing Incurable Damage and Impairing at rank equal to spell level.) - 1p
. . . . Damage 1 (Linked; DC 16; Extras: Incurable) [2]
. . . . Weakening: Affliction 2 (Linked; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 12) [2]

A new spell to turn self-damage into PPE. Would only be useful if drained, of course, so a PC might not choose it, but it's definitely the kind of thing a GM could allow as a power stunt, or possibly even houserule that any mage can do it if they're prepared to risk the damage.

. . 3* Light Healing: Healing 1 (Flaws: Limited: Not on Self) - 1p
. . 3* Magic Shield: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+8), Parry +2 (+4); Extras: Affects Others) - 8p
. . 3* Mystic Fulcrum: Enhanced Strength 1 (+1 STR; Extras: Affects Others, Feature: Infinite Leverage; Flaws: Limited to Lifting) - 1p - 3p

All new spells, filling needed holes, no doubt. A heal, a defense, and carrying help.
Note that the Shield (and shields in general in Palladium) was built as an MDC bonus, while M&M Shields are generally Dodge/Parry boosts. In Palladium parrying ranged attacks with a shield is intentionally difficult (no bonuses and -8 penalty) so it seems to be designed mainly for melee. I say that's a dumb rule and I won't go back.

. . 3^ Telekinesis: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Extras: Precise, Subtle: subtle; Flaws: Diminished Range 2) - 2p

I didn't realize I missed this one, too. The TK spell in the original Rifts core was almost identical to the Psionic version save for a few minor details: Psi duration was double (2min/lvl vs 1), cost in ISP was variable vs fixed PPE, and critically the Psi had no maximum weight provided you had ISP to burn vs a fixed 60lbs for the spell. Both also had independent combat bonuses since you couldn't use normal combat skills with them. Getting rid of the spell as opposed to making it on par with the Psi seems a little extreme, or just careless considering they kept the completely redundant Resist Fire.

. . 4^ Astral Projection

Specifically noted as functionally identical to the psychic power of the same name, it was left out of the UE. A strange choice, since it doesn't take much space as written and subsequent books give a lot more material on the Astral Plane. They may have wanted to keep Astral stuff and TK for Psychics, but that doesn't fit with any mage concept even slightly like Dr. Strange, so I can't say I support the choice tp cut if deliberate, and I hang my head if it was accidental.

. . 4 Blind: Progressive Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Extras: Progressive, No Save to Hit, Reach (ranged) 2: 10 ft.; Flaws: Limited: Vision) - 20p

Upped rank to make it more likely to get to 3rd before failing.

. . 4 Carpet of Adhesion: Shapeable Area Move Object 7 (3 tons; Extras: Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 17, Contagious; Flaws: Custom: Sticking to things, Diminished Range 2) - 19p

If it was only sticking to the floor it might be easier as an Immobilizing Area Affliction resisted by STR. The book specifies you can cast it on a person, though, so Shapeable and Contagious make for some goofy magic fun! Just treat as a STR 7 Grab for anyone who gets stuck in the area or touches anything already stuck.

. . 4 Charismatic Aura: Enhanced Trait 10 (DC 20, Deception +8 (+8), Persuasion +8 (+8), Intimidation +4 (+4); Extras: Affects Others; Flaws: Resistible: Fortitude) - 10p
. . 4 Cure Minor Disorders: Nullify 4 (Counters: Simple Sickness and Curses, DC 14; Extras: Reach (ranged) 2: 10 ft.; Flaws: Reduced Range: close) - 4p

The Aura just gives big interaction skill boosts. Could probably make it specialized into 3 separate but more powerful spells. Note Fortitude resistance for Magic. Also, CMD does not heal damage.

. . 4* Electric Arc: Damage 10 (DC 25; Extras: Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Penetrating 2; Flaws: Activation: move action, Diminished Range 2, Quirk: Requires another Activation every 3 rounds) - 20p

The description goes into detail about "attack economy" for this spell, so I attempted to honour. However, Fire Bolt is also level 4, does more damage while still being adjustable, is more accurate, has no casting limitation and is cheaper for PPE. Unless you're figthing something immune to fire, I don't know why you'd bother.

. . 4 Energy Field: Create 8 (Volume: 250 cft., DC 18; Extras: Impervious; Flaws: Diminished Range 3) - 21p

There doesn't seem to be any limit on shape, so this could be far more flexible than a simple shield.

. . 4 Fire Bolt: Damage 10 (DC 25, Advantages: Accurate Attack; Extras: Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Diminished Range) - 22p

Included Accurate Attack to allow for a tradeoff to the lower damage option. PL7 by itself'; probably doesn't allow other attack bonuses normally.

. . 4* Fist of Fury: Strength-based Damage 8 (DC 23; Extras: Affects Others, Penetrating 5; Quirk: Cannot be used on non-living or supernatural) - 20p
. . 4 Fool's Gold: Illusion 3 (Affects: Two Sense Types, Area: 8 cft., DC 13; Extras: Reach (ranged): 5 ft.; Flaws: Limited: Making objects appear gold, Reduced Range 2: close) - 2p
. . 4 Ley Line Transmission: Mental Communication 3 (Flaws: Limited 2: Broadcast Only, Only on Ley Line) - 6p
. . 4 Magic Net: Cumulative Cloud Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Hindered and Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Stunned, Resisted by: Dodge, overcome by Damage or Sleight of Hand, DC 12; Extras: Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Cumulative, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Flaws: Limited Degree) - 8p

Besides making it a small Area, Cloud Area has the added benefit of hitting again on the next round, effectively "tying tighter" with the Cumulative Extra also used.

. . 4 Multiple Image: Concealment 6 (impression, All Aural Senses, All Visual Senses; Flaws: Resistible: Fortitude, Quirk 2: General Area Known, Images vanish with iron piercing) - 4p

Adds 3 images. Assumed all to be relatively close together, so an Area Attack will still likely hit. GM can either do the standard -5 to hit the real mage, or random rolls similar to 2e rules.

. . 4 Repel Animals: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 12, Cumulative, Custom: No Dodge Check; Flaws: Limited 2: Only vs Animals, "Leave the Area") - 4p

Technically limited to 6 animals at a time, but it's pretty limited already.

. . 4^ Seal: Create 10 (Volume: 1000 cft., DC 20; Extras: Impervious, Increased Duration: continuous, Subtle: Magic Awareness; Flaws: Custom: Only to Seal Entrances/Openings, Diminished Range, Proportional) - 20p

Also known as the Mega-Damage Doorstop, the concept being the door/lid/hatch/drawer/etc is edged by a near-indestructible magic field that keeps it from opening like a magic epoxy, so you don't need that much. This spell was also removed from the UE.

. . 4 Shadow Meld: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Extras: Sustained; Flaws: Quirk 2: Not vs Infravision, Source: Shadows) - 2p

Doesn't count as invisible for "See the Invisible". Large enough shadows might be an issue.

. . 4 Swim as a Fish (lesser) - 6p
. . . . Immunity 2 (Environmental Condition: Pressure, Suffocation: Drowning) [2]
. . . . Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Underwater) [2]
. . . . Swimming 2 (Speed: 2 miles/hour, 30 feet/round) [2]
. . 4 Trance: Cumulative Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Cumulative, Custom: No Dodge, Reach (ranged): 5 ft.; Flaws: Limited: Simple commands, no combat) - 5p

First of the limilted Mind Controls

Level 5

. . 5* Armor Bizarre - 13p
. . . . Armor: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness; Extras: Impervious) [12]
. . . . Bizarre: Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Reaction 3: whenever engage in melee; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree 2, Sense-dependent: Visual) [1]

Armor with a Horror Factor. Unlike normal HF, it keeps happening every round apparently because the armor keeps squriming.

. . 5 Calling: Mental Communication 3 (DC 13; Extras: Increased Duration: continuous; Flaws: Limited 2: Broadcast Only, One Simple Message, Resistible: Fortitude) - 6p

The message can "spammed" if not saved against, hence Continuous.

. . 5* Charm: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Persuasion +16 (+16); Extras: Feature: "Best Friend"; Flaws: Quirk: Only 1 subject, Resistible: Fortitude) - 4p
. . 5 Circle of Flame: Cloud Area Damage 5 (DC 20; Extras: Cloud: 15' radius 5' ring, DC 15, Increased Duration 2: sustained) - 20p
. . 5* Distant Voice: Mental Communication 2 (Extras: Subtle 2: undetectable; Flaws: Custom: LoS OR well-known w/ focus object) - 8p

The first useful two-way communication spell, although it requires either line of sight or familiar objects for users. Tightly limited but hard to intercept.

. . 5 Domination: Cumulative Affliction 2 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 12; Extras: Cumulative, Custom: No Save to Hit; Flaws: Quirk: Subject is Dazed and Skill Impaired) - 5p
. . 5 Energy Disruption: Broad Simultaneous Weaken 2 (electricity, Affects: Electronics, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 12; Extras: Affects Objects Only, Broad: Electronics, Increased Range: ranged, Simultaneous; Flaws: Custom: Not MD objects) - 6p

Worth noting in a mixed magic/tech setting, this is essentially a single-target EMP spell. Doesn't affect MDC equipment, though.

. . 5 Escape: Movement 3 (Permeate 3: full speed; Flaws: Custom 2: Standard action every round to Activate, Limited: Only to Pass Locks and Escape Bonds) - 1p

This uses Permeate to pass through all restrictions, requiring a Standard action to cast and a Move action to execute. The other option is to build skills for Sleight of Hand and Technology, Limited to Escape checks, and Quickness: Limited to Escaping.

. . 5 Eyes of Thoth: Comprehend 1 (Languages - Read All; Extras: Affects Others)
. . 5* Featherlight: Move Object 5 (1600 lbs.; Extras: Affects Objects Only, Reach (ranged) 2: 10 ft.; Flaws: Reduced Range: close) - 7p

Another new spell. This is only to make objects up to 200lbs/lvl light as a feather. The book describes various issues of super-lightweight equipment (weapons do no damage, vehicles double speed but are easily buffeted by wind and hard to control, etc) but I don't think these would be consistent issues, so I'd consider that a Complication.

. . 5 Fly: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Flaws: Custom: Requires nonmetal/nonplastic object to sit on) - 4p
. . 5 Heal Wounds: Healing 4 - 8p
- - 5^ Horrific Illusion

Another Horror Factor based spell, an illusion that makes the subject want to avoid it, so good for waylaying pursuers maybe. Didn't make the cut for UE.
. . 5* House of Glass - 26p
. . . . Living Glass: Morph Attack 1 (Linked; +20 Deception checks to disguise; Single form, DC 11; Extras: Attack: Fortitude, Increased Range: ranged) [6]
. . . . Reflect Attacks: Immunity 10 (Linked; Custom: All attacks from Glass attacker 10; Extras: Increased Range 2: perception, Reflect; Flaws: Custom 2: Still Takes full Damage/Effect) [20]

A new spell based on a bad pun. The glass effect seems totally unnecessary, but makes a nice focus for the Immunity so the Reflect works without actually protecting the caster.

. . 5 Sleep: Progressive Affliction 2 (3rd degree: Asleep, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 12; Extras: Progressive, Reaction 3: Consume Food/Drink, Subtle: Magic Awareness; Flaws: Limited Degree (third only), Quirk: Needs Food/Drink) - 10p

An indirect spell, this shows how to enchant food. Reaction could be replaced with ranks of Triggered if you only wanted to affect X targets, but Reaction lets the food work on an unlimited number of people, although technically it goes "inert" after 15 minutes.

. . 5 Superhuman Speed - 12p
. . . . Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round) [4]
. . . . Superhuman Speed: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Dodge +6 (+6), Parry +2 (+2)) [8]
. . 5 Superhuman Strength - 44p
. . . . Mega-Damage Strength: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 25; Extras: Affects Others) [10]
. . . . Superhuman Strength: Enhanced Trait 17 (Traits: Strength +5 (+5), Stamina +1 (+1), Fortitude +4 (+5), Advantages: Accurate Attack; Extras: Affects Others) [34]
. . Superhuman Endurance: Immunity 5 (Fatigue Effects; Extras: Affects Others, Feature: +2 Fortitude, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)

The SuperSuite! SH Speed is not even vehicle speeds, and can increase your defensive PL by 3. SH Strength is the most expensive spell so far by a wide margin, mostly to get up to Mega-Damage (again, watch that PL). And Endurance isn't even as good as the endurance-style bonuses given by SH STR.

. . 5^ Swim as a Fish (Superior)

Only marginally better than than the lesser spell, it's not in the UE even though the other spell is still called Lesser. Having one version is probably more than adequate, but they could have at least kept the better one.

And that's the Invocations Level 1-5, which according to the Magic Combat section, each take only one attack to use, unlike the mid-level (6-10) and high-level (11-150 which take two and three attacks each respectively. So this set is for all of your quick combat-ready spells while the higher ones presumably need more prep, cover and strategy.
Last edited by JDRook on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:52 am, edited 7 times in total.