Worst pro wrestlers other than Dino Bravo

The place to talk about football, baseball, wrestling, and any other sports news.
Darrin Kelley

Re: Worst pro wrestlers other than Dino Bravo

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Joey Ryan is not comedy. What he does is a disgrace to the business and its legacy.

I'm on the Jim Cornette side of the Joey Ryan issue. And the fact that Impact Wrestling not only signed him but sanctioned his behavior, spits on all of the careers of all of the performers who ever worked there. Much of who I really liked.
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

Joey Ryan has been accused of 17 accounts of sexual assault. Impact Wrestling has dismissed him. He has closed up his own wrestling promotion. Is being scrubbed from all of AEW media, And issued a public apology. Which to me isn't enough.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Looks like Nia Jax may have climbed onto this list and been fired for it. Shes apparently gotten into a habit of badly injuring her fellow wrestlers with poor ring work
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:53 am Looks like Nia Jax may have climbed onto this list and been fired for it. Shes apparently gotten into a habit of badly injuring her fellow wrestlers with poor ring work
Oh yeah, it's apparently been bad for a long time, and she just hurt Kairi Sane, for example.

I haven't heard of her being fired, though, and I'm on a blog where such news would be celebrated for WEEKS.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Unfortunately, Nia Jax has now injured multiple other wrestlers-Charlotte (the latest injury is kayfabe, the legit one happened a couple years back and wasn't serious), Ember Moon (who is still out of action), Becky Lynch (though in that case it helped make her career-Becky's toughness in getting up and finishing the bit with a broken nose and blood smeared face was MASSIVE with fans), and now Kairi Sane for the second time.

At this point, it kind of seems obvious Nia is being protected because of who her family is (not just Dwayne Johnson but the entire Samoan family that produced the Usos and their dad Rikishi, Roman Reigns, and a lot of past stars) and that she's an attractive big girl, a former BBW model.

But...Nia was a former BBW MODEL, not a female power lifter, collegiate wrestler, judoka, or strongwoman. Her athletic background is high school and collegiate basketball, which made use of her height (not terribly tall for women's basketball, but 6 feet is decent for non-elite programs), and obviously she's gained a good bit of weight since then. She obviously has some natural size and strength from her ethnic heritage, and certainly she trains with weights now, but she really isn't the powershouse she gets billed as, and likely just can't pull off moves that women like Awesome Kong, Beth Phonenix, or the late Chyna could do. And she doesn't seem like a natural in the ring, hence multiple injured opponents in a pretty short span of time. She has really developed a poor reputation for this VERY quickly.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I'm actually currently watching through the 'Dark Side of the Ring' documentary series, the industry can be truly fucked up at times.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:15 pm I'm actually currently watching through the 'Dark Side of the Ring' documentary series, the industry can be truly fucked up at times.
Yeah, the stories about wrestling are usually pretty terrible, behind-the-scenes. I mean, my favorite wrestlers as a teen murdered his wife and son before hanging himself, so it puts a lot of the rest of it in perspective. There's true scum like Buck Zumhofe, and then standard-issue buffoons and delusional con-men like Herb Abrams.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

The head injuries don't help. Neither do the virtually necessary mix of uppers, downers, and steroids to maintain a road schedule. And lastly, you live larger than life, ring rats and such.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 pm The head injuries don't help. Neither do the virtually necessary mix of uppers, downers, and steroids to maintain a road schedule. And lastly, you live larger than life, ring rats and such.
Yeah, I don't know how bad it is now but from what little I've seen the schedule in the past could be a nightmare. I saw an interview with Jake Roberts, he said there have been times when he worked every day for 90 days straight, a match a night from Monday to Friday and two matches on Saturday and Sunday.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:36 pm Yeah, I don't know how bad it is now but from what little I've seen the schedule in the past could be a nightmare. I saw an interview with Jake Roberts, he said there have been times when he worked every day for 90 days straight, a match a night from Monday to Friday and two matches on Saturday and Sunday.
One of the insights I gleaned from the various autobiographies that surprised me is that the steroids really are less used for bulking up, as they are helping heal the constant stream of minor injuries.
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

There are plenty of things on Youtube but one I missed was how bas Jenna Morasca was. Check out her TNA match.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Having got into back into wrestling in the past nine months, I'll take a crack at this:

David Flair: I feel bad for the guy to be honest. He really had no passion to get into the business and only did so because his father felt it was 'Natural' (pardon the pun) for him to continue the Flair legacy. But David was about a close as you could get to someone being a zero in every Hart category. He looked like a jobber, could not deliver a promo, and even after several years in the ring was barely adequate.

Giant Silva: He misses most of these lists because he was so forgettable. That's right, a man who was legitimately over seven feet tall was so bland, slow, and goofy-looking that even his towering height could not save him. Khali was Bob Backland compared to this guy.

Ron Reese: Another flop of a giant. The most convincing matches he had were squashes... and by that I mean when he was squashed.

Eva Marie: Can we even consider her a wrestler? More like a D-grade actress who participates in wrestling matches. And the WWE brought her back a few months after laying off nearly a dozen other more talented women wrestlers who arguably were as pretty as her if not more so.

Invader #1: I try to separate the man from the wrestler (which is why I consider Benoit one of the greats even though his final actions were inexcusable and disgusting), but I'll make an exception for this piece of crap. A mediocre wrestler at best who got as far as he did due to family connections, he also murdered Bruiser Brody and got away with it.

Shelly Martinez: Just embarrassing overall, and one of the most incompetent wrestlers to ever step into the ring. Some fans consider her match with Rebel at Knockouts Knockdown 2016 one of the worst, if not the worst wrestling match ever. If you are not familiar with it, Ms. Martinez destroyed her career in a matter of minutes with some baffling selling that involves a certain private part. Not as racy as it sounds, but still vulgar and stupid.

Mantaur: He was big around the waist, but had little else going for him. The gimmick he was saddled with in WWF had to be one of the worst ever, you have to wonder if it was another cruel rib by Vince McMahon.

And I have to dispute Dino Bravo being on a list of worst ever pro wrestlers. If we go by his life outside of the ring then Dino was not a good guy and that caught up with him, but he was a decent performer. A feud with Hogan was cut short because the blow off was scheduled to happen in Montreal, where Bravo was a hometown hero who would have been cheered over the megaface champion. He was a legit strongman who in his younger days was quite versatile and considered a major player in Canadian wrestling, but was over the hill by the time he came to the WWF, which no doubt hurt his legacy. I could name at least a hundred guys worse than him, and there must be at least a thousand others who I can't.
Last edited by Grenzer on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh man... DINO BRAVO apologism. I never thought I'd see the day, lol.

Yeah, I've heard he was better in his youth, but all me and several thousand unfortunate fans have to go by is his years as a doughy, plodding sack of potatoes having the worst matches up and down the card and nearly always being put in a prominent spot, rarely losing. Reading reviews of WWF stuff from 1990-91 reveals Dino all over TV, rarely being focused on but always being around.

Those listed do indeed suck. I've been doing a "Dream Matches" column for Scott Keith's blog and Ron Reis in particular shows up a handful of times, generally always in a poor match. Roadblock was also terrible, being 6'7" and 400+ lbs. and still being unworthy of a push.

David Flair & Erik Watts are a lot alike- wrestlers' sons who nonetheless always looked COMPLETELY lost out there. When I saw my first Watts match, I was struck by how similar to David he seemed- holding his arms awkwardly out at right angles with his wrists limply hanging there in the most unthreatening manner possible.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Nick Gage, the bank-addicted, drug robber. Basically New Jack without any actual skills in wrestling.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.