Loki

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Davies

Loki

Post by Davies »

First episode dropped today. Mr. Hiddlestone is brilliant as ever, and I actually enjoyed Owen Wilson's subdued performance more than I was expecting. The final plot twist is a little predictable, unfortunately, but I look forward to seeing where they go with it.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Loki

Post by Ares »

I've got to agree that Hiddlestone does an amazing acting job in the movie, and Owen Wilson honestly pulls of his roll very well. I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes from here.
Spoiler
I do hope that, ultimately, the point of this series is to completely destroy the Time Variance Authority. Like, burn the whole thing to the ground. Because this organization is everything the Avengers and heroes like them have fought against. I'm reminded of the first Secret Wars storyline, where the heroes were debating whether or not they needed to move against Doom. And Steve summed it up simply: "The freedom to do what Doom allows is not freedom".

In a way, the TVA actually undermines the rest of the MCU, because it kills any tension of the previous movies. The only reason certain things were allowed to happen was because the TVA allows it to happen. Every victory the heroes have, every tragedy that they endured, was basically orchistrated by three space lizards. It just kills the entire concept of free will, that the heroes had any agency, because their choices really didn't matter. Any choice they'd make that the Time Keepers didn't like would just get reset until it wound up the way they wanted.

So yeah, the whole TVA needs to be destroyed. Even the story about why the exists sounds like it could be some unreliable narration. I'm curious to see where they go from here.

Also, the idea that the Infinity Stones don't work where the TVA do seems a bit wonky. As does the idea of the TVA agents being able to physically manhandle someone who is bulletproof, superhumanly strong, and a skilled fighter.

But overall, I'm curious to see how this plays out.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Spoiler
It's been pointed out that the Infinity Stones represent the conceptual powers of a universe, so if you take them out of that universe, they're just pretty rocks. The other thing I put to Loki having already been through quite a bit before they start in on him. For him, it's only been a few hours since he and the Hulk had a polite discussion about his life choices.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:17 am
Spoiler
It's been pointed out that the Infinity Stones represent the conceptual powers of a universe, so if you take them out of that universe, they're just pretty rocks. The other thing I put to Loki having already been through quite a bit before they start in on him. For him, it's only been a few hours since he and the Hulk had a polite discussion about his life choices.
Spoiler
Except the Time Stone worked fine in Dormammu's realm, which was a place where time apparently didn't exist as a concept. And if the Time Keepers have apparently reduced the multi-verse to a single timeline, then by extension that would mean there's only a single universe that the TVA would have to be a part of, even if they're a pocket dimension or some such that exists slightly outside of the normal flow of time. Maybe these answers will get explained later, but there seems to be a conflict with what the TVA are saying and what the Ancient One said in Dr. Strange regarding the multiverse, as well as previous interpretations of the gems. We'll just have to see.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Spoiler
I believe it's canon (as canon as anything is any more) that the Infinity Gems only work in the timeline they originate from, and that some other dimensions (like the Dark Dimension and Nightmare's realm) are part of a timeline, while others (like Roma's realm) are not. Either way, there exists a loophole for the Infinity Stone thing.

And, have the MCU Asgardians been established to all be super-strong and bulletproof? Thor's armor does something, or he wouldn't wear it.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jack of Spades wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:33 pm And, have the MCU Asgardians been established to all be super-strong and bulletproof? Thor's armor does something, or he wouldn't wear it.
Regarding Asgardian strength and durability (which I feel can be discussed without Spoilers), it's clear Loki is bulletproof, superstrong and so on. During Avengers he takes a gunshot to the head without injury, is able to manhandle Captain America, and gets ragdolled by the Hulk without serious injury (though said injuries are definitely incapacitating). Though Loki is technically a Frost Giant and not Asgardian.

Are all Asgardians similarly durable and strong? Hard to say, since we often only see the standard Asgardians going up against beings of equivalent power or who are more powerful.

Thor is definitely several levels above bulletproof, given he can take beatings from the Hulk and the heat of a star. Whether the armor actually does something for him, who knows. It seems unlikely that Asgardian armor would actually offer him any protection unless it was made of Uru as well. And it isn't like there isn't president for invulnerable guys to wear armor, not for the protection, but for the style or simply because its something that might not immediately break under the impact of the kind of trauma they face.

You can't tell me MCU Carol Danvers old Kree Starforce uniform that she still wears actually offers her any protection given her current power level.

M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I enjoyed it for the most part, it actually reignited by excitement for MCU shows again after the disappointed I felt with FATWS. I was surprised that Loki didn't have and knowledge of the TVA, given Asgard's history (and that the TVA is what they say they are) I'd think the Asgardians would know about them or at least Odin would and through him there would be some mention of the organisation in the historical records which I'd assume Loki had access to (whether it was with permission or without)

IIRC Sif stood up to a shotgun blast without taking damage when she appeared in Agents of SHIELD.

The power level of Thor is difficult to determine in the movies because he mostly fights enemies who also have a superhuman level power, we don't really seen him fighting against real world human level threats to be able to judge just how powerful he is.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Davies

Post by Davies »

Episode 2:
Spoiler
I wonder if Mobius is familiar with the idea of the noble lie.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Episode 3 (halfway point):
Spoiler
We now know that the TVA is actively deceiving its agents about their origins. What else are they deceiving them about?

And I do hope they don't expect us to buy this as a cliffhanger, Loki has all but ensured that Mobius knows where they are.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Episode 5 was genuinely great, my favourite episode of all the Disney MCU shows so far.
Spoiler
'Easter eggs' I noticed
Thanos Copter
Throg
Dark Aster
Hydra Helicarrier
Giant Yellowjacket helmet

'Easter eggs' I missed (Didn't see or missed the significance)
Living Tribunal statue
Polybius
Ecto cooler
USS Eldridge
Mary Celeste
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Well, I finally got caught up on this.
Spoiler
So He Who Remains is some version of Kang, that's much is clear. I also was surprised that He Who Remains was right.