Weird Movie Theory(ies)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Woodclaw

Weird Movie Theory(ies)

Post by Woodclaw »

Ok, this is completely weird cinematic crossover theory that sprung up in my brain last night. Don't ask me were it came from... actually I do know where it came from.
One of the "Superman is unrepeatable" theories that always rubbed me the wrong way is how some people keeps nagging about the fact that Smallville should be right in the middle of the "bible belt" and there's no chance whatsoever that the Kents could be so open-minded and understanding, not to mention raising such a good person.
So, the idea is: we all know that, at the end of *Endgame*, Steve Rogers went back in time, stayed there and married Peggy Carter, but for some reason nobody ever heard of him again.
I know this is in contrast with what we saw in *Civil War*, but what if, after Peggy Quit working with the S.H.I.E.L.D., they went into some kind of witness protection and moved to Kansas under the aliases of Jonathan and Martha Kent?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Re: Weird Movie Theory(ies)

Post by Batgirl III »

Well, the central flaw in this hypothesis is the idea that Protestant Christians (the Kents are Methodists) cannot be open-minded, understanding, and raise a good person... I mean, seriously? Dubya tee eff?

Not to mention Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter are also both canonically Protestant Christians. (Lutheran and Anglican)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Actually, that Theory hold's more Water than you think.
Neither Rogers or Carter would've used their names(too obvious). Peggy suffered from a BAD dose of Altimers in Civil War, so that situation in the Movie still hold's up. Them moving to the Bible belt would also fit, as nobody would think to look for them there. Their SON(Peggy mentioned that she had a Son and Jonathan is a fairly common British first name) and Daughter-in-law could've found Little Kal's Rocket....;)
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I'm reminded of the suggestion that Mary Poppins is actually a Time Lord.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:56 am I'm reminded of the suggestion that Mary Poppins is actually a Time Lord.
There is also some people who theorize that she is the incarnation of the "White", i.e. the universal order in Stephen King's Dark Tower, just like Pennywise is an incarnation of the Red, the universal chaos. The weirdest bit is that the proof of this actually comes from Monster Inc.

This is the long and short of it:
  • They both return every 20-something years (Pennywise 27, Mary Poppins 25) to regenerate energy from a new group of children, but also have a tendency to return to those they met on their last visit (Pennywise returns to the Losers, Mary Poppins returns to the Banks)
  • Mary Poppins manages to maintain energy for 25 years despite interacting with fewer children than Pennywise requires for 27 years as she relies on children’s joy, unlike Pennywise who relies on their fear, and as proven in Monsters Inc children’s laughter is worth more than their fear
  • Upon each of their returns, they draw a child named Georgie away from their siblings with a paper toy, then appear alongside that toy to return it to Georgie (Mary Poppins returns Georgie's kite, Pennywise acts as though he’s returning Georgie’s boat)
  • Each has the same set of powers, in which they can take advantage of what lies in the children’s minds (Mary Poppins uses their imagination, Pennywise uses their fear)
  • Mary Poppins famously has a living reflection that can function separately from her, and Pennywise is shown to share this ability in Chapter Two
  • In each of these stories, the parents are oblivious to the fantastical situations being experienced by the children
  • The Losers club forget their experiences as children until Pennywise returns, and although the Banks children do not forget Mary Poppins, they do forget that the magical experiences actually happened, and they remember Mary Poppins as just a nanny
  • Each has a love for singing and dancing, which should be obvious for Mary Poppins, but becomes clearer for Pennywise when you remember that he refers to himself as Pennywise the Dancing Clown, dances for Beverly in Chapter One, and sings for Richie in Chapter Two
  • Pennywise is heavily associated with the song Oranges and Lemons, which is a song about old London, where Mary Poppins lives, showing that Pennywise has an awareness that another member of his species is out there, and he knows exactly where they are
  • Pennywise has a mystical light source called the Deadlights, and although we never see Mary Poppins’ Deadlights, it is likely she has them too, as in Mary Poppins Returns she creates an imaginary crowd of lamplighters to sing the song ‘Trip a Little Light Fantastic’, which may possibly be her way of convincing the children to look into her Deadlights without scaring them into it. It is proven that these lamplighters are fake and created by Mary Poppins, as when Michael hears the children singing outside and opens the door, he sees only Mary Poppins and the children, and all the lamplighters appear to have vanished.
  • At the end of Mary Poppins Returns, all the characters grab balloons and float into the air, and balloons and floating are both highly associated with Pennywise

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:22 pm Well, the central flaw in this hypothesis is the idea that Protestant Christians (the Kents are Methodists) cannot be open-minded, understanding, and raise a good person... I mean, seriously? Dubya tee eff?

Not to mention Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter are also both canonically Protestant Christians. (Lutheran and Anglican)
Well, I always maintained that being an a**hole or a good person depends on many factors.
The entire point of that argument relies on the stereotype that people born and raised in the Bible Belt are close-minded and bigoted, which I don't believe at all.

BTW, I thought that Steve was Catholic, since his parents and grandparents were Irish.
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:06 am Actually, that Theory hold's more Water than you think.
Neither Rogers or Carter would've used their names(too obvious). Peggy suffered from a BAD dose of Altimers in Civil War, so that situation in the Movie still hold's up. Them moving to the Bible belt would also fit, as nobody would think to look for them there. Their SON(Peggy mentioned that she had a Son and Jonathan is a fairly common British first name) and Daughter-in-law could've found Little Kal's Rocket....;)
Taking notes for a shared universe...

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:22 pm Well, the central flaw in this hypothesis is the idea that Protestant Christians (the Kents are Methodists) cannot be open-minded, understanding, and raise a good person... I mean, seriously? Dubya tee eff?
My thoughts exactly. I can't decide whether this is a kind of territorial prejudice (North vs South, Coast vs Center, City vs Rural), religious prejudice, or a combination of both. So I'll just say it's stupid. Note that I'm not saying Woodclaw is stupid, just that whomever subscribed to the idea that "No one in the Bible Belt could raise Superman" is kind of dumb.

The idea that Jonathan or Martha Kent might have been raised by Steve and Peggy is pretty cool tho. I prefer the idea of Steve and Clark fighting alongside each other, but this isn't bad by any stretch.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Kansas is also not usually counted as part of the Bible Belt; According to Pew Research, slightly more than 1/3 of Kansasians (Kansaser? Kansasians?) attend church once a week, slightly more than 1/3 attend a couple times a year, and slightly less never go... Those are numbers basically identical to Pennsylvania, Michigan, or California.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Kansans.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

The only Bible belts I can recall belonged to John the Baptist, holding his camel hair garment closed (Matthew 3:4) and St. Paul who had Agabus swipe his Paul's belt to bind his own limbs. (Acts 21:11).
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.