Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Arkrite

Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

Post by Arkrite »

So basically I'm just using this as an opportunity to share things I've found with everybody.

There's no deep meaning, no hidden messages, no (overt) plots for world domination. I just want to share something that I thought was neat.

Sometimes it might be comics, or jokes, but mostly it's likely to be videos or music.

Hopefully you'll find something new, something interesting, or at least something entertaining.
Arkrite

Re: Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

Post by Arkrite »

So this music video was just fun to watch, and I'm almost thinking I should just let anybody who hasn't seen this before go in blind.

Wintergatan - Marble Machine

For those of you who want to know what in the world this is before you give it a shot: A man created a large hand cranked mechanism, a xylophone, a drum, a base guitar, and (according to him) 2000 marbles to play a song.
And I can't help but find the tune to be really nice to listen to.

The gentleman who created it built it himself and has since been working on creating a new, better version of the machine. This has apparently been going on for at least four years since the video was released, so heaven only knows if it will ever get done, but I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

This one always amuses me.
A guy responding to the comment the comment: Wrestling isn't real
Wrestling Isn't Wrestling by Max Landis

It recounts the career of Triple H... with all the wrestlers being portrayed by women.
I think it was just an excuse to spend a lot of time with a bunch of beautiful young women.
And of course now I hate Max Landis due to sheer green envy.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've always loved Wintergatan's stuff, there's something so calm about it all.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So here's another one of those ones that is a bit of a slow burn. It takes a while before he really starts playing this song.
And then watching what he's capable of doing with just two hands and a single guitar is amazing.
At least for me, a man with no talent or skill to speak of. ;~)

Still once he gets going it almost sounds like he's got a couple of people playing with him.

Passionflower by Jon Gomm
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So people are stuck inside looking for things to do.

So here's something I like to have running in the background. A nice little crafting series.
It's pretty good at explaining the steps, the guy's voice is nice and mellow so it's real relaxing... and he's a muppet.

TheCrafsMan SteadyCraftin

Easy Metal Jewelry | Pecan Nut Necklace, Hickory Heart Pendant, Pewter Casting, Mold Making

How to make pourable molds to make pendants out of things you found in your backyard. Mother's day present here you come.
Of course he uses pewter and a melting pot, so it might be "emergency ward here you come".
Safety first!

Circuit Board + Resin Jewelry [Upcycled Pendants] Computer PC Board Necklaces

Eventually you're going to smash your computer. Or it's going to die. And at that time, why not make a lovely piece of jewlery out of it. Show people you care.
Or show your new computer what's waiting for it if fails you!

Rubber Metal? Safe, Realistic Film Props | Silicone Bolt

Well maybe your kids are locked indoors, they're bored, and they're planning to make their next horror movie masterpiece on their phone. They just need to hurl a metal bolt at the monster in the climax.
The monster, of course, being the annoying younger sibling in a mask. Hmm... there's that emergency ward trip again.
Unless... rubber metal! Now your children can beat on each other to their heart's content!
... no wait, that sounds terrible.
Don't do that.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Too normal?
Need something bizarre and crazy? How about a little musical number?
A nice little musical number with two choirs, a number of dancers, a spooky comentator, all about the horror of Shia LaBeouf.

"Shia LaBeouf" Live - Rob Cantor
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

My first experience with OK/Go was a superbowl commercial for a car company.
The band decided to set up instruments all over a enclosed course, and equipped a van with a series of devices to activate these instruments as they drive by. In fact the only instrument they use besides the car is one ukulele just for the first few seconds.
I quickly discovered that I liked this version more than their perfectly crafted CD mix ;~)

After that I started looking into the band a bit more and it's kind of fun.
The band itself isn't ground breaking, but they have a very clever idea... which seems really obvious but has still gone right past most music videos.
And that thing is: Be interesting or entertaining, or preferably both.

Almost every music video they make has some kind of unique hook to it.
A giant Rube Golberg Machine, A super fast video recorded in slow motion, A choreographed video with dogs, A real life no special effects zero G music video, and a muppet video.

Okay, that last one isn't really doing weird and crazy things, but... muppets! :D

If you want some more fun, check the "making of" videos on how they made these. I thought "Gravity is just a Habit" was neat.

Needing/Getting
A race track filled with instruments, and a car with a set of gadgets to interact with them.
My first encounter and probably still one of my favorites.

The One Moment
Hey, I know, lets film almost an entire music video in 4.2 seconds.
No, seriously, they film 4.2 seconds that turns into 3 minute video thanks to slow motion and... it's actually fun to watch. There's so much going on that it's just fun to watch it go.

This Too Shall Pass
Rube Goldberg Machine.
What, you need more? Giant. Rube. Goldberg. Machine.
There is something I found funny, and that is how you can tell that this isn't their first attempt while watching them film it. You can see the result of multiple failed attempts.

Here It Goes Again
Their first video to get a lot of attention. A dance routine done on six treadmills.
Honestly this doesn't hold up to most of their other stuff, but it's fun to see where it started.
Also this is probably one of my favorite songs by them, and was my unofficial theme for the Albright Institute game. Man, I still try to choreograph a video with those characters in my head.

The Writing's On the Wall
This one is all about perspective, a shift of the camera changes what you see and reveals illusions.
Also a sad song about a doomed relationship.
But mostly optical illusions!

Obsession
Probably one of the more catchy songs, a bizzare kind of stop motion feeling video that uses a crazy number of printers to create the backgrounds for the video.
Neat thing I just learned, at one point the lead singer looks like he's dancing in the front, but he's apparently using ASL to say "It's obsession"

Upside Down & Inside Out
Zero G music video.
It just sounds metal as hell.
In fact, why hasn't a metal band done a Zero G music video as their plane rockets to the ground, exploding with flames and...
Huh, I think I came up with a new Sven Styx adventure.
*cough*
This is one of my favorites, and it's also really cool to see how they made it.
The poor guy on the right is suffering through some serious nausea, but stuck it out to make one more attempt at an uncut video when their best attempt turned out to be ruined by an unexpected obsticle.
They offered him the chance to bow out, but he stuck with it and I think it turned out great.

White Knuckles
There is a saying in hollywood:
Never work with children or animals.
It can be a real pain trying to work with children, who rarely have the practice or focus to put in the perfect scene in limited shots, need lots of breaks, can only film for short periods each day, and are prone to acting like children.
Animals? Even worse. At least you can reason with the children.

But OK/Go is like "Naw, it's fine" and makes an entire music video using Dogs.
Just them and a whole bunch of dogs doing tricks to the music.
It's pretty cool that they pulled that off when my Mom can't even get her dog to come on command.

Now... did you watch the video?
If so... did you see a goat, or am I losing my mind?

End Love
A music video where they mess with the video, speeding things up and slowing them down to get some interesting shots.
But let's be honest, everybody just came to this video for the goose. He's the real star.

Muppet Show Theme Song

OK/Go sings The Muppets theme song. With multiple references to OK/Go's other videos.
I love the muppets.
Also: Come back Bunny!

There are more, at least two or three that I've left out, but these are the ones I remembered the most.
Hope you enjoy!
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Thanks for posting these, Arkite. I've been feeling stressed for a lot of reasons lately-this horrible pandemic, being told my company is not going to reopen, some alarming news about my younger brother (he needs to start taking MUCH better care of himself-thankfully he may have been scared straight). Some light, fun things are needed.

Kudos to you. All my best!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Glad you're enjoying it.
I'm sorry to hear things have been going rough. I'm hoping with spring coming in that things will start looking up soon.

I've got a few more in the gas tank, hopefully there's still some fun to be had.

And to quote a great Canadian philosopher:
"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." -Red Green
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So how about some music video parodies?
No, not Weird Al... but that is an amazing idea. I need to put those up soon.

To be honest this group only lasted for three videos, but they were still fun. I get the feeling it was a college or university collaboration, which would explain why they didn't go on to do more. Or maybe they have and I just missed them.

Suits That Fly (Suit & Tie/Iron Man 3 Parody)

This one always makes me laugh at the same line. The lead up is: "Stop, let me place that accent" and the look on the gentleman's face when the next line is spoken is just beautiful! :lol:

Lo Pan Style (Gangnam Style Parody) Official

If you've enjoyed Big Trouble in Little China you'll probably get a laugh out of this. It's my favorite of the lot.
And they even got James Hong (David Lo Pan!) in the video.
I'm assuming the pretty models didn't hurt the request ;~)

Batman Maybe (Call Me Maybe parody)
This one is probably the weakest one they did, but I enjoy almost anything that gives the Dark Knight Rises a hard time.
Now if only Irina Dragomir-Thomason (Catwoman) would call me, maybe. Rar.
She'd probably just call me a cad. *sigh* Women.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

How about a spot of tea? Maybe some musical oddity?
How about a nice British rapper, a prim propper lad. Gentleman explorer, steampunk enthusiast, and tea aficionado, the honorable word smith Professor Elemental.

Cup Of Brown Joy - Professor Elemental
What does a real proper gentleman rap about? Why tea, and how much they could use a cup. Be a good lad and put the pot on.

Of course not everything is perfect, even for a British chap who loves to rap. Because as rappers are wont to do, he wound up having quite the spat with another rapper, a chap-hop enthusiast if you will by the name of Mister B. And of course what does a proper rap enthusiast do when somebody insults him? Why he writes a dis song!
Fighting Trousers - Professor Elemental

Now of course these things don't happen in a vaccum, and of course you wind up with songs like 'A Piece Of My Mind' by Mr.B The Gentleman Rhymer

"But Arkrite, you malodorous cad!" you exclaim, "That response video came out years before the Fighting trousers song!"

What? Are you implying that I am in some way falsifying events to promote or manufacture a story that never happened, in ways that make rappers seem impressive or imposing than they actually are?
Rubbish, I say, these things never happen in rap! :lol:

You should focus on other things.
Like a nice song about Steampunk!
Steam Powered - Professor Elemental featuring Jon Clark

Now where's my tea?
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ha! Those were indeed fun.

I almost want to do Prof. Elemental and Mr. B, AKA "The Chap" as game characters...or Doom Patrol villains.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

How are you finding this stuff anyway, Arkite?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Yeah, they'd make some interesting flavor characters for a game, wouldn't they?
A squad of steampunkers intent on returning the world to the steampunk future it never should have outgrown... had it ever actually gotten to it!

As for how I'm finding this stuff?
This is basically a 20 year romp through memory lane, stuff I stumbled across ages ago, links that people sent me, and things that I'd swear I didn't know about but apparently have bookmarks to.

I wish I could claim I'm just digging this stuff up as I go, stumbling into all this on a daily basis, but this is a lot of older stuff.
I could probably post stuff a lot faster, but I like kind of pacing it a little bit ;~)