Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Arkrite

Re: Arkrite's Odd(s and Ends)

Post by Arkrite »

Woodclaw was nice enough to share this find on the Discord, so of course I felt the need to pass it along.
A lovely nostalgia trip for anybody who's even watched a show with any sci-fi themes.

Another Night at the Warp Core Cafe by Jeff Carlisle

You really need to see it to believe it, it's basically a "Where's Waldo" of every sci-fi/alien/space related franchise from the last fifty years or more.

A couple of my favorites: Captain Kirk arm wrestles Han Solo while Picard facepalms.
Everybody appears to be avoiding Ruby Rod
Ted "Theodore" Logan and Bill S. Preston, Esq. being awesome
And of course Waldo-bot.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Another funny one that somebody put up, sadly I can't remember who did it so I can't give credit where it's due.

An eight second long video that made me laugh, with a really bad joke. I love it.

Possessed by an owl
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Every once in awhile somebody will make an ad that's actually fun and entertaining.
This is one of those times. I don't promise greatness, but it made me chuckle.

Match Made In Hell
Davies

Post by Davies »

They even include a dumpster fire. <shakes head>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I hear that there are Christmas Tree ornaments of a dumpster on fire with 2020 scrawled on it.
While this amuses me, I can't imagine wanting to have a reminder of this year that badly ;~)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Some more music.
This band has described themselves as the smallest band with the biggest name: I Don't Know How But They Found Me.

I won't lie my attention was caught at first by the music videos and the weird aesthetics that went with it. Most of them seem like they're from the 70's/80's and recorded on VHS.
For fun you might want to check out the video before reading my comments, see if you noticed some of the things in the video itself.

Nobody Likes The Opening Band

A slower song than their usual style, but I just love the fact that it looks like a talent show being run in a school gym.
Also fun: Watching Ryan, the drummer, looking like he's enraged the entire video.
And then seeing him leave the stage at the end, sit down in the front of the audience, then leads them in booing and hurling banana peels at Dallon, the singer.

Best comment I saw: "Is Grandma going on tour with you?"

Do It All The Time

A 1960's style instructional video on how you can make music now: not with artists but with machines!
Dallon nerds up real nice, and does a mean robot dance.
Probably their catchiest tune.

Social Climb

Thought Reform and the Corporate Guide to Social Reconditioning.
This video is just wiggy, lots of little things that make me laugh.
Dallon looking deeply and longingly into his own reflection while singing "When I'm with you".
The lifeless, vacant crowd all posing but lacking drive.
The band randomly glitching out while playing their instruments.
Ryan hitting an invisible cymbal every time one sound effect plays...

To nobody's great surprise, this song is a dig at LA parties and culture.

Modern Day Cain

A music video for what appears to be an UHF variety show.
I didn't notice much on this one, though it seems like Dallon makes no effort to sync his air guitar in any of the videos, meanwhile it always looks like Ryan is spot on.
I also completely missed Dallon sticking the pick to his own forehead midway into the song.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

And a rather well known one, but still very funny:

Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

For people who aren't aware there was a somewhat popular thing on the internet back in the day where you'd take an anime (generally) and re-dub the show while making it short as possible turning the resulting work into a short comedy piece.
There were tons of these floating around, and since most of them were done by people with no editing skills, or technical knowledge it was really hit and miss on it being funny and usually just looked janky and bad.

Then along came Dragon Ball Z Abridged. The guy doing it actually had some editing chops, so he decided to edit the images to make the mouth movements match, which helps a great deal in making the whole works look professional. Plus the crew that was helping him were pretty good voice actors, and the jokes are pretty good overall.

The first episode is pretty rough, but it gets better pretty quick, and it's easy to see that these guys are fans of the subject materials even if they are poking fun at it.

And it's so short in comparison to the actual series that even Jab could find time to watch it. ;~)

DragonBall Z Abridged: Episode 1
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I Fight Dragons is an odd band.
They started off with a gimmick, which was that they used chiptunes (think the music from an original Gameboy) as a part of their music. They would actually program entire songs on the Gameboy before even trying to add real instruments into the mix.
To continue the unique nature of it, they took old SNES controllers and Dance Dance Revolution mats and reprogrammed them so that hitting buttons created different sounds so that they could play songs by playing on the controllers.

It was different, and unique. I can't say that it got them into the big times, but obviously they must have gotten some traction since I've seen one song used for the WWE, and another was used in an ad for NCIS.

But I mostly bring them up right now because of a song I found recently that wasn't really released, and will never get on the radio, and is stuck in my head right now.

Shit's gonna be OK

Welcome to the Breakdown
I don't remember how I found this song, but this was the first one I heard by the band, and the first one to catch my attention.

Disaster Hearts
This was used in an NCIS ad, which surprised me.
I figured if the band was going to hit the mainstream this would be the song to do it. No idea if it worked.

Heads Up, Hearts Down
How in the world did this song not end up in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World?

Chicago
This is the other one I would have expected to hit the mainstream radio stations.

Money
Honestly not one of my favorites, but I did mention that they were used in the WWE, so here it is.
This was a song used for, not surprisingly, their Money In the Bank event.

Fighting On
And another one I like. Admittedly it might have something to do with turning it into a theme for one of my characters.

Honestly they have a lot of songs, these are just a few that stick out in my head.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Kirby Krackle is an oddball band that likes making songs about cartoons, comics, and various stuff like that.
I believe they may have referred to themselves as "Nerd Rock".

"Ring Capacity" (Green Lantern Song)

Possibly the only other song I've heard about the Green Lanterns.
Assuming you count Sunshine Superman.

"Take It From Me"
MegaMan.
Possibly the only song related to him that I've heard which wasn't done by the Protomen.
Note to self: Do Protomen soon.

Villain Song
How was this not a music video with the cast of MegaMind?
I just don't have words to describe how much they missed the ship on that one.
Maybe I should e-mail everybody involved in that series and hope they'd want to revisit an IP they've moved past years ago....

"On and On"
Wolverine.
Nuff said.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

This isn't funny, or terribly amusing...
But after a long cold Canadian Winter seeing a tropical island, amazing weather, and a girl in a bikini on a flying surfboard? Just kind of scratched an itch I had.

We Rode the Endless Waves
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I was always a fan of the Ernest movies growing up, so this little video was a fun look at the career of Jim Varney. Who some might remember more fondly as Ernest P. Worrell.

Jim Varney | The Original Viral Star | A Docu-Mini

And this one was also interesting.
Leslie Nielsen, these days, is well known for being a comedic actor.
To my surprise he was actually a dramatic actor for most of his career, until a movie called Airplane use his serious deadpan deliveries to serve up some of the funniest lines in the movie.

Seriously, if you get the chance and you need a laugh? Watch Airplane. It's a parody movie back when that was a good thing. Hopefully you can find it on a streaming service.

Leslie Nielsen | A Serious Talent | A Docu-Mini
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I actually grew-up with the Ernest phenomenon and can tell you first hand how amazing Jim Varney was as a Comedic Actor. There was no cursing or potty humor in any of his movies, but they were some of the funniest one's i'd ever seen.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:14 am Seriously, if you get the chance and you need a laugh? Watch Airplane. It's a parody movie back when that was a good thing. Hopefully you can find it on a streaming service.

Leslie Nielsen | A Serious Talent | A Docu-Mini
Need a laugh? What is it?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:35 pm Need a laugh? What is it?
It's a noise people make to show amusement, but that's not important right now. :lol: