Recommendations for new fantasy for me to read?

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Gilliam

Re: Recommendations for new fantasy for me to read?

Post by Gilliam »

kirinke wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:58 pm Hmmm, how about the elemental series by Phyllis Eisenstein? It's only got two books in it, but it's pretty good.
Sorcerer's Son and the Crystal Palace.
I second this series.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Yeah, the magic in that series isn't quite like your usual sorcery.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hoid wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:52 am Ehhh, Codex Aleta sounds too Medieval Europe for me. I’ll pass.
There's a fun story behind the series. At a con, the question came up whether a bad premise could lead to a good story. So, he asked his fans to come up with two ideas that he would blend: Pokemon meets the Lost Roman Legion
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

You didn't say much what kind of fantasy you were looking for, so here's a splattering:

I've recently started reading the Fritz Lieber Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series- its a little thick for easy reading but for depth its pretty great.

The White Wolf Exalted novels were pretty good. Two different five book sets with very different styles that aren't at all connected.

Some of the old Magic the Gathering novels were pretty good. They were fairly separate too, maybe trilogies at the most.

Jennifer Fallon was really good. The Hythrun Chronicles was much better than The Demon Child Trilogy even though they are set in the same setting. Very nicely about intrigue and call to power.

And finally.. Mercedes Lackey can be extremely hit or miss. While her Heralds series is her most well known, its also seemingly without end. Set outside of that main series is Vows and Honor which is a lot more traditional adventuring and grimier. Tales of Five Hundred Kingdoms is heavy into the power of fairy tales and myth and be clever and brave if you want to go against them. Also, her Free Bards is more classical adventure.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

You also can't go wrong with the Spellsinger Series by Alan Dean Foster.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Or the Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

N.K. Jemisin's 'Broken Earth' trilogy might be a good read- among other things, it is the first trilogy to win the Hugo for all three books. It has interesting magic and is Very Much Not Europe. Her other books are alos good,though I liked them a bit less (The Inheritence trilogy, The Dreamblood duology).

I also really liked Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence books, but the bones of Europe are a bit closer to the surface there.