Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four by Christopher Gage

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ares
Site Admin

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four by Christopher Gage

Post by Ares »

One thing I want to start doing with this forum is promoting good comics, so I'm not just whining about the state of the current industry. So to start with:

This was a book put out in 2011, and one of the last examples of truly good comics storytelling. It seemed like after 2011, everything went to Hell in a hand-basket, but this? This was fantastic. Pun intended.

This is a four issue mini-series by Christopher Gage, going through Spider-Man's history with the Fantastic Four, exploring his relationships with the other members, and showing why I consider Peter an unofficial 5th member of the team, with as much right to be there as She-Hulk.

The series travels the length of Peter's time with the FF, introducing new scenarios meant to explain certain things and really show the evolution of the heroes. The first issue has the FF at a time when Reed and Sue had only just gotten engaged and Doom had almost killed them in an encounter with Daredevil. We see things like Doom swapping his mind with the Human Torch to fight Namor, and Peter and the Torch bonding over pranking to come up with a way to get Doom to back down . . . via humiliation.

You also see things like the moment Gwen decided to stop playing mind games with Peter and become the Gwen he'd fall in love with, while we also see the Torch prank Spidey by burning away his armpit webbing, which Peter decides isn't a bad look, explaining where they went.

Overall I can't say enough good things about the book. I had read it a long time ago, but just ordered a trade, because I will support good work. And this? This is GREAT work.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four by Christopher Gage

Post by Ares »

And to showcase the above mentioned solution to dealing with Doom:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 am And to showcase the above mentioned solution to dealing with Doom:

I have a tear in my eye, how did I not know this existed.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:45 am
I have a tear in my eye, how did I not know this existed.
Well, you do now. You're welcome! :D

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

A hearty thank you!!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

You're welcome.

What's great is that it's got funny, clever moments like that, solid action, but it's also got some genuinely heartwarming moments. It remembers that, as distracted as Reed Richards could get, he's still a good husband and father.

When Reed and Spider-Man get distracted talking about science, Sue comes in to remind him that there was an afternoon scheduled with her and Franklin. And when they're out there, Sue starts to apologize for potentially over-reacting, explaining that the lack of a father made life difficult for her and Johnny.

Reed responds with, "Susan, you're absolutely right. You don't have to justify anything to me. Times like this . . . the wind in your hair, the smell of fall, the smile on Franklin's face as smears ice cream on the most easily stained clothing with deadly accuracy . . . times like this I never want to set foot in a lab again."

And when the symbiote imprisoned in the lab escapes and captures Franklin, how do they save the day? Some super weapon from Reed's lab? Some clever strategy Reed came up with? Nope, it's Spider-Man telling Reed that what Franklin needs isn't the smartest man in the world. He needs his father.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I realize I'm spoiling chunks of the book, so I'm going to stop here. But please, if you enjoy good Spider-Man and good Fantastic Four, pick up this book.

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:04 am I realize I'm spoiling chunks of the book, so I'm going to stop here. But please, if you enjoy good Spider-Man and good Fantastic Four, pick up this book.
No, i enjoy your reviews of it, this seems like they remembered who the characters are, even though it is older work, it is appreciated.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 am
Ares wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:04 am I realize I'm spoiling chunks of the book, so I'm going to stop here. But please, if you enjoy good Spider-Man and good Fantastic Four, pick up this book.
No, i enjoy your reviews of it, this seems like they remembered who the characters are, even though it is older work, it is appreciated.
It's really good, but rather than review it, I'd encourage people to buy it, digitally or via hard copy.

Even the trade is only 8 bucks or so: https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Fanta ... 0785144234

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I will end my review / promotion of the book with this image:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/8-si9MzbhjqRG ... q4lQ=s1600

That's a thing of beauty. Just check it out, as trying to showcase it here just smooshes the double page spread together.

saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

I'll add it to the reading list, right now I'm working my way thru Wildstorm stuff.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:20 am
RUSCHE wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 am
It's really good, but rather than review it, I'd encourage people to buy it, digitally or via hard copy.

Even the trade is only 8 bucks or so: https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Fanta ... 0785144234
I need a book in hand vs digital, I will order this. My locql shop is taking orders, friends with the owner, need to support local, when this is over it will be in my pull list.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

RUSCHE wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:53 pmI need a book in hand vs digital
Well you know what Stan Lee is (probably falsely) quoted as having said.

"Comics are like boobs... they look good on a computer, but I'd rather hold one in my hand."

:lol:
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

saint_matthew wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:09 pm
RUSCHE wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:53 pmI need a book in hand vs digital
Well you know what Stan Lee is (probably falsely) quoted as having said.

"Comics are like boobs... they look good on a computer, but I'd rather hold one in my hand."

:lol:
As would I...haha. wait is this allowed to say
.sorry Ares and anyone who might be upset..
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That's perfectly okay to say.