What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ken

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:10 pm Any thoughts on the United States of Captain America?
No. Don't know what those are.
Ms S: I hardly think it'll enhance yr reputation at the UN Prof. Plum, if it's revealed that U have been implicated not only in adultery with 1 of your patients, but in her death & the deaths of 5 others.

PP: U don't know what kind of people they have at the UN; I may go up in their estimation.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

Ken wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:26 pm
NoOneofConsequence wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:10 pm Any thoughts on the United States of Captain America?
No. Don't know what those are.
Apparently some sort of miniseries about Cap and various associated characters (Falcon, USAgent, Bucky) going around the US - looking for Cap's shield or something - and meeting all of these local "Captain Americas" who have somehow been inspired by Captain America to start cosplaying as some version of him.
From what I've seen, it seems to be some sort of diversity for diversity's sake initiative aimed primarily at getting Twitter traffic and media coverage. Unfortunately, every time they unveil the newest one, they're being greeted by a lot of distain and mockery, especially from members of the group they're supposedly "representing". The latest one, for example, is some sort of Filipino-American girl. People from the Philippines are apparently unimpressed, as America's initial occupation of the islands after the Spanish American War are not a fondly remembered period. And to make matters worse, apparently the character's first name is turns out to be a Filipino slang term for genitalia.
Previous characters have included a homeless gay teen in overalls who uses a trash can lid for a shield (no idea if the issue of prostitution among young gay male runaways in the inner city is ever addressed with the character), and a Native American in what is clearly patterned on a religious ceremonial outfit. (Honestly, all of the ones I've seen so far look like they were part of the same "super easy to cosplay on the cheep" design school that was behind Ms. Marvel's original outfit.) :|
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Ken

Post by Ken »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:02 pm Apparently some sort of miniseries about Cap and various associated characters (Falcon, USAgent, Bucky) going around the US - looking for Cap's shield or something - and meeting all of these local "Captain Americas" who have somehow been inspired by Captain America to start cosplaying as some version of him.
From what I've seen, it seems to be some sort of diversity for diversity's sake initiative aimed primarily at getting Twitter traffic and media coverage. Unfortunately, every time they unveil the newest one, they're being greeted by a lot of disdain and mockery, especially from members of the group they're supposedly "representing". The latest one, for example, is some sort of Filipino-American girl. People from the Philippines are apparently unimpressed, as America's initial occupation of the islands after the Spanish American War are not a fondly remembered period. And to make matters worse, apparently the character's first name is turns out to be a Filipino slang term for genitalia.
Previous characters have included a homeless gay teen in overalls who uses a trash can lid for a shield (no idea if the issue of prostitution among young gay male runaways in the inner city is ever addressed with the character), and a Native American in what is clearly patterned on a religious ceremonial outfit. (Honestly, all of the ones I've seen so far look like they were part of the same "super easy to cosplay on the cheap" design school that was behind Ms. Marvel's original outfit.) :|
Ah. A new variant of what TV Tropes calls "Captain Ethnic". Write a preachy story from an ivory tower... while doing as little research as possible. Plus ça change plus la même chose.
Ms S: I hardly think it'll enhance yr reputation at the UN Prof. Plum, if it's revealed that U have been implicated not only in adultery with 1 of your patients, but in her death & the deaths of 5 others.

PP: U don't know what kind of people they have at the UN; I may go up in their estimation.