What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
M4C8

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by M4C8 »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 am So, any thought's on the X-Men's Hellfire Ball and their ... interesting fashion choices?

Personally, I'm wondering why Rachel Summers is wearing something that looks like it's trying to fetishize what she wore as a slave in the alternate future she originally came from. Maybe it's a subtle cry for help?
Most of them look good, a couple are a bit weird (Nightcrawler for example), I dislike the look of Iceman, Prodigy, Prestige (Rachel), Khora, Sunspot, Warpath and Wiz-Kid (not so much the suit but the head bowl and pale face/lipstick part)

I've seen some comments saying Jean should use this design as her new costume, I agree (though for purely practical reasons I'd get rid if the bit of fabric covering the back of her legs)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 am So, any thought's on the X-Men's Hellfire Ball and their ... interesting fashion choices?

Personally, I'm wondering why Rachel Summers is wearing something that looks like it's trying to fetishize what she wore as a slave in the alternate future she originally came from. Maybe it's a subtle cry for help?
I’m thinking that the relationship between artists and cosplayers has gotten out of hand.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:40 pm

I’m thinking that the relationship between artists and cosplayers has gotten out of hand.
I came to that conclusion around the time someone cited that the Motorcycle Leathers Batgirl costume (which I didn't care for) is good specifically on the grounds that it's easy to cosplay.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 pm

I came to that conclusion around the time someone cited that the Motorcycle Leathers Batgirl costume (which I didn't care for) is good specifically on the grounds that it's easy to cosplay.
Ugh. The whole “Bargirl of Burnside” thing is just... Ugh. Possibly one of the single worst things to ever happen to the Batgirl character (and I’m including Alicia Silverstone in that list).

The costume, the storyline, the supporting cast, the character motivation... All of it would have been perfect for Stephanie Brown as Batgirl. Not one iota of it makes any damn sense for Barbara Gordon.

And, yes, the artist who designed the costume specifically said they wanted something that would be easy for cosplayers to make. IIRC, the full-body [s]Warbird[/s] Captain Marvel costume was designed with cosplayers in mind too.

(Which seems in my admittedly non-cosplaying opinion like kind of an insult to cosplayers. Like, most cosplayers I know pride themselves on the challenge of making difficult costumes into real objects.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Ugh. The whole “Bargirl of Burnside” thing is just... Ugh. Possibly one of the single worst things to ever happen to the Batgirl character (and I’m including Alicia Silverstone in that list).

The costume, the storyline, the supporting cast, the character motivation... All of it would have been perfect for Stephanie Brown as Batgirl. Not one iota of it makes any damn sense for Barbara Gordon.

And, yes, the artist who designed the costume specifically said they wanted something that would be easy for cosplayers to make. IIRC, the full-body [s]Warbird[/s] Captain Marvel costume was designed with cosplayers in mind too.

(Which seems in my admittedly non-cosplaying opinion like kind of an insult to cosplayers. Like, most cosplayers I know pride themselves on the challenge of making difficult costumes into real objects.)
Ah well, it could be worse. They could have had Barbara join Gotham's version of Antifa in her final issue as some kind of shoe-horned political move and a middle finger to the people not buying the book.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Has anyone else read Busiek's new book for Marvel?

The title is The Marvels and I really don't know how to make out of it. It's well written, but it looks like one of those continuity soups that only Busiek can sort out. In spite of this the reaction from the readers looks extremely positive.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I heard it's good, but i haven't had a chance to read it yet myself.
The fact it's a Busiek book mean's you'll need to get every issue or you'll loose the plot. :)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:02 pm Has anyone else read Busiek's new book for Marvel?

The title is The Marvels and I really don't know how to make out of it. It's well written, but it looks like one of those continuity soups that only Busiek can sort out. In spite of this the reaction from the readers looks extremely positive.
I'm stunned that he brought back Ace after thirty-five years, I'm thrilled that Aero is going to be featuring in this, and I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Looking forward to issue #2, in two weeks.
I'm not fourteen hundred years old! I've been sixteen years old fourteen hundred times, but I'm definitely not fourteen hundred years old! If you can't get that through your skull, I'm divorcing you!
Tsukasa Tsukuyomi, in
Fly Me to the Moon, by Kenjiro Hata