So ....about M&M 4th edition...

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
RKane_1

So ....about M&M 4th edition...

Post by RKane_1 »

Let's say Green Ronin gets a fire under themselves and decides to do a 4th edition.

1) What would make you want to BUY the book?

2) What would make you AVOID buying the book?

3) What specifically do you want to see addressed in a new edition? (Please be as specific as you can).
Last edited by RKane_1 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: So ....about M&M 4th edition...

Post by MacynSnow »

So....To awnser your questions in order...
I'd buy it if it combined both Player's & DMG into one book again

I wouldn't buy it if i to buy more than one book in order to run a game of it

From Player's Perspective, i'd like to see some more Archetypes added as i miss having options. From a GM Perspective, i'd like to see a more generic Difficulty Chart with ALL the DC's on it(i hate hunting through pages for the DC i need).

Hope this helps! :D
RKane_1

Post by RKane_1 »

So no rule changes to say, make Communication cheaper, add more explanations for rules, fix how useless Penetrating/Impervious is? etc?
Shock

Post by Shock »

I feel like doing a 4th edition would be change for the sake of change. They have enough trouble supporting 3rd edition
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

RKane_1 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:53 pm So no rule changes to say, make Communication cheaper, add more explanations for rules, fix how useless Penetrating/Impervious is? etc?
Not from me at least. I actually understand the rules pretty good, but i grew-up in the 80's & 90's and ACTUALLY understand THACO and The Palladium PC creation rules so ....
Last edited by MacynSnow on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

From what I understand, most of the changes people would want to the system would be better handled by either some errata (changing power costs, fixing Impervious, etc.), an updated rulebook, or a 3.5 3dition. An entirely new edition would have to have some pretty big changes to justify it, otherwise it feels like a new edition released for the sake of being released, rather than any meaningful changes having been made to the system or setting.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’d like to see a few “quality of life” changes to the core rulebook’s layout, like a better index and little things like that. But I’d really like to see them dedicate a full page or two to explaining the difference between M&M’s effects based system and other RPG’s coughdeendeecough abilities based system, since this tends to trip up new players. Clarification of the wording of a few things (like Indirect) would be nice too.

But, mechanically, I think M&M3e doesn’t really need much revision. I would like to see the Power Points cost of Skills change to a tiered system, where combat skills cost 1:2, most non-combat utility skills cost 1:3, and less utilitarian skills cost 1:4. A similar system was used for skill costs in Big Eyes, Small Mouth, since it’s generally a lot more valuable to be able to swing a sword or investigate a crime scene than it is to be able to bake a delicious cake.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
RKane_1

Post by RKane_1 »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:32 pm So....To answer your questions, in order...
1) I'd buy it if it combined both Player's & DMG into one book again

2) I wouldn't buy it if I had to buy more than one book in order to run a game of it.

3) From Player's Perspective, I'd like to see some more Archetypes added as I miss having options. From a GM Perspective, I'd like to see a more generic Difficulty Chart with ALL the DC's on it(I hate hunting through pages for the DC I need).

Hope this helps! :D
So are you 100% ok with everything as it stands now including point costs and the efficacy of the powers and extras and flaws in comparison to each other?
Ares wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:48 am From what I understand, most of the changes people would want to the system would be better handled by either some errata (changing power costs, fixing Impervious, etc.), an updated rulebook, or a 3.5 3dition. An entirely new edition would have to have some pretty big changes to justify it, otherwise it feels like a new edition released for the sake of being released, rather than any meaningful changes having been made to the system or setting.
I could get behind a 3.5 version. I would like to see some more changes though that may effect a few things. What are some of the changers you would like to see in either a 3.5 or 4th edition?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Yeah, i'm honestly OK with how the Crunch works out(believe me, i've played & ran MUCH worse in my 34 years of tabletop gaming).
RKane_1

Post by RKane_1 »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:03 pm Yeah, i'm honestly OK with how the Crunch works out(believe me, i've played & ran MUCH worse in my 34 years of tabletop gaming).
I have been gaming for a mere 37 years and have played with much worse as well, but that is no reason not to strive for better. :)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

RKane_1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:36 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:03 pm Yeah, i'm honestly OK with how the Crunch works out(believe me, i've played & ran MUCH worse in my 34 years of tabletop gaming).
I have been gaming for a mere 37 years and have played with much worse as well, but that is no reason not to strive for better. :)
Touche, you beat me by 3 years(and got to experience Disco, so i'm super jealous now;) ).
In that case, a better way of dealing with Impervious & Penetration would be useful.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

In that case, a better way of dealing with Impervious & Penetration would be useful.
Yeah, this one has been bugging me ever since M&M First Edition!

Frankly, I've always felt that Impervious should just work as a flat one to one reduction of all incoming damage: Damage 10 versus Impervious 5? It's an effective Damage 5. Damage 3 versus Impervious 5? It does nothing.

Thusly, Penetration should serve to reduce, one to one, any ranks of Impervious: Damage 10 Penetrating 5 versus Impervious 5? It's an effective Damage 10. Damage 3, Penetrating 3 versus Impervious 5? It's an effective Damage 1...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Shouldn't it be Damage 2 BG? ;)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: