For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: Atrond Academy 3e Recruiting 4-5 PCs

Post by jmucchiello »

Tony Jones wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:58 am
jmucchiello wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:00 pm
Tony Jones wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:04 pm Birthplace: Edison, New Jersey
I live in Metuchen.
Cool! I think you mentioned that when I put a slightly different version of Khemis forward for the Small Town Heroes game a while ago.

I notice that Golden Girl is from Perth Amboy, New Jersey as well, which looking on Google Maps is also pretty close by.
Edison is the donut to Metuchen, which is totally surrounded by it. Perth Amboy is 5ish miles east of Metuchen and borders Edison.

Edison doesn't have the Joisey accent found in along the Hudson River part of Jersey. The real Jersey speech stuff is word usage: Thing aren't 20 miles away, they are 30 minutes away. And when asked "What Exit?" The answer for Edison is either Exit 10 on the NJ Turnpike or Exit 131 on the Garden State Parkway. :)
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Switcheroo: Teleport, Affects Objects, Attack, Perception, Split, Quirk (Must have touched the target in the past 24 hours) (5 per rank +1. Likely only like 4 ranks needed)

Castle: Teleport, Reaction (Successful use of Switcheroo), Precise (So doesn't always trigger), Limited (Only to the position of Switcheroo target) (3 per rank +1. Same rank at Switcheroo)

Does this power construct make sense to people? It makes sense to me, but only because I know what I am aiming for here.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

For Switcheroo, looking at Attack the book says "It affects one creature of any size or 50 lbs. of inanimate mass", which it sounds like you're interpreting as you choose one or the other of those things when creating the power? In which case Affects Objects would let it do both? That makes reasonable sense to me.

It would be cheaper to have creature or object as alternate effects, given its 5 per rank cost. Though you might need ranks of Increased Mass to teleport objects larger than 50 lbs. Also only having 4 ranks would make it quite easy to resist.

What is Split on Switcheroo intended to let it do?
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 am Edison is the donut to Metuchen, which is totally surrounded by it. Perth Amboy is 5ish miles east of Metuchen and borders Edison.
That whole doughnut town thing is a bit odd. Do you know why it's like that?
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Tony Jones wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:39 pm For Switcheroo, looking at Attack the book says "It affects one creature of any size or 50 lbs. of inanimate mass", which it sounds like you're interpreting as you choose one or the other of those things when creating the power? In which case Affects Objects would let it do both? That makes reasonable sense to me.

It would be cheaper to have creature or object as alternate effects, given its 5 per rank cost. Though you might need ranks of Increased Mass to teleport objects larger than 50 lbs. Also only having 4 ranks would make it quite easy to resist.

What is Split on Switcheroo intended to let it do?
I'll have to reread Attack, and will definitely need more mass on it (also change directions and velocity), but was just going for the base structure of the power.

As for split, it's so she can hit two targets and swap thier places.

The only other way I could think to do it was have two identical power constructs called Target A and Target B, lol, however, Split lets her target two things in the same action without doing some crazy free action nonsense.

Basically the point is she can swap positions of two things she has touched so long as they are in range, or alternatively swap her position with a target in range.

There are smaller details like velocity transference and reorientation but that's what the extras cover.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Tony Jones wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:09 pm
jmucchiello wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 am Edison is the donut to Metuchen, which is totally surrounded by it. Perth Amboy is 5ish miles east of Metuchen and borders Edison.
That whole doughnut town thing is a bit odd. Do you know why it's like that?
Actually yes. Before 1900, the entire area was Raritan, NJ. There was a town center surrounded farmland. The town center incorporated into the Borough of Metuchen and the rest eventually became the Township of Edison. Since Edison didn't break up into a bunch of small boroughs (Menlo Park, Clara Barton, Bonhamton, etc.) Metuchen ended up surrounded by farming community that now has a population over 100,000. Edison is actually a city by modern standards.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm I'll have to reread Attack, and will definitely need more mass on it (also change directions and velocity), but was just going for the base structure of the power.

The only other way I could think to do it was have two identical power constructs called Target A and Target B, lol, however, Split lets her target two things in the same action without doing some crazy free action nonsense.

Basically the point is she can swap positions of two things she has touched so long as they are in range, or alternatively swap her position with a target in range.

There are smaller details like velocity transference and reorientation but that's what the extras cover.
The only problem I'd see with Split is that you divide the ranks in the power between the two targets, which makes it even easier to resist (and not go as far).

But then I suppose from a mechanics level how different is that from Teleport A + Teleport B, linked to Teleport A, each Limited to only swapping with the other one which would be more explicit but also more complicated? Points wise probably much the same too.

I guess as long as our GM is happy with it, that's the main thing!

Thinking about it, the power sounds quite a lot like that of Trickster from Worm.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Quite an interesting ability.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:24 pm Actually yes. Before 1900, the entire area was Raritan, NJ. There was a town center surrounded farmland. The town center incorporated into the Borough of Metuchen and the rest eventually became the Township of Edison. Since Edison didn't break up into a bunch of small boroughs (Menlo Park, Clara Barton, Bonhamton, etc.) Metuchen ended up surrounded by farming community that now has a population over 100,000. Edison is actually a city by modern standards.
Fair enough. Interesting!
Imbasel

Post by Imbasel »

Tony Jones wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 pm
Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm I'll have to reread Attack, and will definitely need more mass on it (also change directions and velocity), but was just going for the base structure of the power.

The only problem I'd see with Split is that you divide the ranks in the power between the two targets, which makes it even easier to resist (and not go as far).

But then I suppose from a mechanics level how different is that from Teleport A + Teleport B, linked to Teleport A, each Limited to only swapping with the other one which would be more explicit but also more complicated? Points wise probably much the same too.

I guess as long as our GM is happy with it, that's the main thing!

Thinking about it, the power sounds quite a lot like that of Trickster from Worm.
I'm happy with the powerset and it makes sense to me. I think the point is well made about dividing the ranks in power between two targets and making it more resistible, but it makes the power work the way as intended.
Wheeljack Prime

Post by Wheeljack Prime »

Imbasel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:15 pm
I'm happy with the powerset and it makes sense to me. I think the point is well made about dividing the ranks in power between two targets and making it more resistible, but it makes the power work the way as intended.
You could always buy more the ranks of the power with "Only for using Split" on them, points allowing.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

I actually thought of a better way to do this.

Rather than the targetting others having the array, I'll have a secondary reaction teleport arrayed from the personal teleport. It works so much smoother.

EDIT: It actually wasn't smoother. Like, at all. lol. I mean, it mechanically works fine, but it becomes soooooo expensive to do it that way. But I realized something else. Unattended objects don't typically have anything to resist with, soooo, I don't need to assign many ranks to such objects, and allies can chose to fail the resist.

The only time it would get sketchy is switching two enemies who would of course try to resist.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm thinking about adjusting her offensive power away a bit. Her concealment attack feels more like a power stunt then a regular ability. Instead of that, perhaps I lean into her illusions somewhat and create Phantasms(summon)? It might also make sense to make it a dynamic array, but I'd be drawing points from elsewhere for that.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

I'm fairly close to a build. Hoping to complete it tonight after work.

Mainly she's pretty mobile and excells at battlefield control by moving people around to advantageous, or disadvantageous positions.

She uses a wristmounted ball baring shooter (basically a BB gun strapped to her wrist. I can change this to more like a slingshot if the shooter is too tech for where you would like us at) for offense as well as a means to more freely teleport herself (since she touches each of the ball barings, she can target it to swap places), and while not very strong, she is practiced in martial arts, since her power does rely on touching people to manipulate thier position. (She just needs to hit, dealing damage isn't necessary)
Imbasel

Post by Imbasel »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:08 pm I'm fairly close to a build. Hoping to complete it tonight after work.

Mainly she's pretty mobile and excells at battlefield control by moving people around to advantageous, or disadvantageous positions.

She uses a wristmounted ball baring shooter (basically a BB gun strapped to her wrist. I can change this to more like a slingshot if the shooter is too tech for where you would like us at) for offense as well as a means to more freely teleport herself (since she touches each of the ball barings, she can target it to swap places), and while not very strong, she is practiced in martial arts, since her power does rely on touching people to manipulate thier position. (She just needs to hit, dealing damage isn't necessary)
I'm fine with it being a ball baring shooter, not too high tech at all!
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:03 pm I'm thinking about adjusting her offensive power away a bit. Her concealment attack feels more like a power stunt then a regular ability. Instead of that, perhaps I lean into her illusions somewhat and create Phantasms(summon)? It might also make sense to make it a dynamic array, but I'd be drawing points from elsewhere for that.
I like the idea of leaning into the illusions to create Phantasms it seems very in-character for her to be able to do that.