The Merge: Agents & Powers (OOC for chapter 2)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tony Jones

Re: The Merge: Agents & Powers (OOC for chapter 2)

Post by Tony Jones »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:37 am //They don't have a camp trailer or SUVs, but they will supply you with the funds needed to rent one without much fuss.

After an hour of packing, you meet up again and go about the business of procuring a suitable vehicle. After that, it's off to the Black Forest - which means a looooooong drive through pretty much the entire country with all that entails, including traffic jams, trucks blocking the entire road attempting to pass each other (the german term for that is " Elefantenrennen" - elephant race) and copious amounts of road rage.
That has not changed one bit since the Merge.
Lilly wouldn't think of it, because she has no idea how far away the Black Forest is, but wouldn't it make sense to get the train to as close as possible and drive from there?
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

They might not be able to. Not with what they need for the trip.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Agreed. Too much equipment for a train. The Autobahn should be fast enough. We might decide to rent the camper closer to the forest and just rent a pickup truck with a tow hitch to pack all the gear and such. This way we aren't dragging a camper halfway across Germany.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Should Amy introduce Lilly to road trip games? :twisted:

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Maybe! Though Lilly can probably keep everyone entertained with singing the whole way too...

Oh yes, did she have any luck getting any Blessed gloves or something similar?
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

OOC: Neither I nor Lilly has any idea what 'Punch Buggy Blue' is so trying to use whatever it is as a lesson or anything else is likely to be fairly ineffective!
It's a game with many variants. Basically, the game consists of picking out a color of car and brand, then if they see it, they get to hit or poke the other person on the arm while calling it out and pointing at it. My family used the Roadway semi-truck variant. It usually ends with one person complaining they're being hurt and the parent saying "don't make me turn this car around!" when the kids get too rowdy. :twisted:

The "punch buggy blue" part is usually a blue volkswagen bug.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Ah, OK, that makes a kind of sense...
pathfinderq1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:34 pm >OOC2: Instead of "elephant racing" we only had to worry about trucks ignoring the (many) signs and getting stuck in the Notch https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/ ... -the-notch
Elephant Racing is such a good term!

I know what you mean about the 'notch'. There's a lane hear us utterly unsuitable for big lorries, and despite the signs, every now and again someone tries it and the lane is backed up for ages until they get out...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I hate it when the !@#$ semi-trucks and other slow moving vehicles fill all four lanes of traffic, despite clear signs saying they should stay out of the fracking fast lane. Downtown where I live is a nightmare. It's not a question of when does traffic clear, it's what ring of hell is it currently on?

Thank god I'm on a detail (temp assignment) that allows me to work from home. Sadly, I go back to the rings o hell in a coupla months.

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Yeah, the Notch is notorious for it- it is a narrow, winding section of road, bracketed by immovable boulders (so narrow that it actually closes from November to April, as it would be impossible to plow effectively). There is one road through, and signs for miles on each side warning trucks (including the giant "Your GPS is wrong"), and locals have a betting pool every year when the road opens, to see when the first truck gets stuck. The issue, in this case, is vehicle length- the longer trailers get pinned on the S-curve between the boulders. It reminds me, in a way, of some of the roads we saw in rural Wales when we went castle-spotting- except much rockier, and the cliffs on either side of the Notch are higher and sharper than anything in Wales...

Meanwhile, here in the city, we have trucks getting Storrowed (yes, it IS a verb with a capital letter)- the issue there is height. Storrow Drive claims the most victims (and is where the term comes from), but the term "Storrow" gets used regardless of the actual location. It is most common during college move-in week, with out-of-town moving trucks, but can occur at any time (though usually during rush hour). Bonus points are gained if the entire roof of the trailer gets peeled off by one of the low bridges, or if the trailer's load get dumped into the roadway. Points are deducted if the driver stops in time and the State Police have to back them down the road to a safe turn-off, or if the truck can be extricated by just letting the air out of the tires instead of needing a specialized wrecker.

Driving through the Notch was a lot better this time, in a more appropriate car- but the blind curves and narrow roadway are still a challenge. (But there is a great hike that starts in the Notch, so we drive through there every time we vacation in the area.

Still glad Vermont doesn't have werewolves...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Well if Vermont doesn't have werewolves they probably have were-bears and were panthers

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

kirinke wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:15 am Well if Vermont doesn't have werewolves they probably have were-bears and were panthers
Possibly were-bears- there certainly are enough "Bear Crossing" signs, though no actual bears were seen. Other than that, maybe were-moose? No panthers- maybe bobcats or fisher "cats" which aren't really cats...

Definitely were-coyotes- those suckers are EVERYWHERE these days...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Dunno if moose or other herbivores can be lycanthropes. In the stories and myths, it's mostly either carnivores or omnivores that are lycans. At least the ones I'm familiar with anyway. So there'd probably be were-rats as well. Like coyotes, they're everywhere.

I've never heard of fisher cats before, so I looked them up. They kinda look like they're in the weasel family and they are....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)
Last edited by kirinke on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Bah! Therianthropes can be almost anything- Central American Nagual can be donkeys or turkeys, for example. The carnivores just have better agents and better press!

;)
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Like I said, I'm not that familiar with the herbivore types, so I can't say yeah or nay on the subject. :lol:

Battle Init
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

How long will it take to get the SUV/camper to the meeting spot?

Battle Init