The Merge: Agents & Powers (OOC for chapter 2)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kirinke

Re: The Merge: Agents & Powers (OOC for chapter 2)

Post by kirinke »

Yeah, I don't consider them to be good guys. They might be gods, but they sure as heck wouldn't be in the upper planes. Or if they are, they'd probably be shunned by the rest of the deities! Most of the males are assholes to the 'nth degree and outside of Demeter and Persephone, the females are raging harridans at best.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly is counting heavenly realms as where gods live, not just where good gods live. She has no idea how they actually work in the Merge world though.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Gonna be kind of quiet the rest of this week- a sizable portion of my team at work decided to celebrate Labor Day by quitting (not even two weeks notice, just outright quitting) and we are doing a lot of damage control. Which is very tired and frustrating. Especially for a job I don't like much to start with.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Lilly is counting heavenly realms as where gods live, not just where good gods live. She has no idea how they actually work in the Merge world though.
You gotta remember, Amy is heavily influenced by the Shinto-Buddhist traditions. So, alot of what she is trying to convey is a bit based on that.

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Frankly, the Kirby's "New Gods" should not have been called gods. It's not like they had followers/worshipers. That's a common component of being a god. What's the point of nomenclature if it doesn't mean anything?
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I'd go with the basic, that belief makes the difference between a deity and a powerful individual. There's also the fact that there are plenty of creatures who think they're gods, but really aren't. Ga'ould and the Ori come to mind. So it can get fuzzy there.

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

"The next time someone asks you if you are a god, you say YES!"

There, I said it. Or, well, Winston said it and I quoted. But still...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:31 am Frankly, the Kirby's "New Gods" should not have been called gods. It's not like they had followers/worshipers. That's a common component of being a god. What's the point of nomenclature if it doesn't mean anything?
Well, the New Gods of Apokalips certainly have followers, though more out of fear than veneration.

And as I recall their powers come from the Source, which seems to be the equivalent of the Christian God of the DC universe. So that counts.

And nomenclature changes. Especially in comics, where writers hijack anything they think is cool-sounding and re-purpose it to their needs!
Last edited by Tony Jones on Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:57 pm Gonna be kind of quiet the rest of this week- a sizable portion of my team at work decided to celebrate Labor Day by quitting (not even two weeks notice, just outright quitting) and we are doing a lot of damage control. Which is very tired and frustrating. Especially for a job I don't like much to start with.
Sorry to hear it! Hope you get it all sorted out as painlessly as possible.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Given that even in the real world people worship the Norse and Ancient Greek gods I would imagine those religions and any others of a similar nature would be stronger in the Merged world when their gods are provably real...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

They are. Most ancient religions have had a resurgence. Egypt, for example, now boasts a sizable minority who worship the old gods - with predictable reactions from the muslim community. The presence of Black Adam in the region has kept the violence from escalating - so far.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Ok. Cool!
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

In general, what has the Merge done for the Shinto/Buddhist deities/beliefs? I know there's was at least some temples in and around Germany before the Merge and that after, there are a sizable number of Force Sensitives who are Buddhist. But that's about it.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

So if Lilly can discover that Mr Miracle and Big Barda exist on Earth, can she also some way to contact them? In particular some way that won't just get written off as a kook! Maybe through the Ministry, if Mr Miracle and Big Barda are associated with some official group.

This is something she'll worry about more on the next downtime between missions though, rather than right now.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

If nothing else, Amy can introduce Lilly to the head priest at the temple she's staying at. I'm sure he could offer her insight as well.

Battle Init