Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Ashes of Petram

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus
AT: ___ || Wounds: 7/7 || Casting: 6D6

Lloyd gives a brief confused look at Dog. The mercenary hadn't mentioned any such thing. But their next task wasn't until tonight so they had some time.

"Yes, what is it that you need?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Ashes of Petram

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Rudolph frowns. "Afraid I can't help you much with gun modifications, I only make the munitions here. But....if you're interested, I have something new I've been working on..." He glances over, and obviously, at Moira's gun. "I can see plainly enough that you're a hunter. I've been working on a new kind of bullet that should make piercing deceiver hide, or most anything really, easier."

He opens a drawer and pulls out a handgun magazine and slides a few rounds out of it for Moira to see. "See....I designed it to fire a secondary primer on impact with whatever you're shooting at, delivering the payload as if you had fired your gun right next to your target. In terms of materials, it punches through wood and dents steel. DENTS it!" he seems excited about that. Considering conventional bullets don't do a damn thing to steel, a dent is impressive news. "But obviously I can't claim it pierces through deceivers without a field test, and obviously I'm too old for that sort of nonsense. If you field test a few rounds for me on actual deceivers and report back your findings, I'll give you a full magazine as payment."

Armor piercing rounds. With how reletively new firearms even are in Solum, that someone is already developing rounds that can pierce armor is a scary thought, but invaluable considering the monsters you are facing.

Over at the armorers; Thorson scratches his cheek, looking the group over. "Ever heard of Warchmoggers? Big, towering brutish deceivers, ar least around twelve feet tall with arms as thick as trees and hoves rather than hands that pulverize the ground it walks on. I'm interested in experimentin' of a sort, and I need a warchmogger's hooves. Could go to the guild I suppose, but when the guild happens to come to you, lets me set my own rates and reward fairly without the guild needin' to take a cut that rightly belongs to you folk putting our necks on the line."
Int / Lore check, 2 successes
Warchmoggers are scary. REAL scary. They have two hulking front arms capped with hooves, but their hind legs are small and have feet instead. They pulverize the ground in front of them with the big hooves to keep their hind legs from sinking into softer ground like mud. As their size and build would suggest based on description, they hit like a sack of bricks and tank damage about as well. If you were to go after this thing, you'd want to be extra careful.
"If you'd be of a mind to take on this task, I'll upgrade all your armor to show the fruits of my experiment. Might even be one of you proves yourselves worthy of my daughter." he adds on the end, a bit lower.

"Daddy!!" Franny goes pink in the cheeks as she throws a leather boot at her father which bounces mostly harmlessly off the large man.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

Loyd's eyes widen when the smith offers a courtship of his daughter. He's distracted by this and knows nothing of the deceiver in question.
"I....uh... would be happy to help you recover this part for your study." he says, dropping his eyes, unsure of what his thoughts are on the proffered dating of the smith's daughter.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling
Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:52 pm Rudolph frowns. "Afraid I can't help you much with gun modifications, I only make the munitions here. But....if you're interested, I have something new I've been working on..." He glances over, and obviously, at Moira's gun. "I can see plainly enough that you're a hunter. I've been working on a new kind of bullet that should make piercing deceiver hide, or most anything really, easier."

He opens a drawer and pulls out a handgun magazine and slides a few rounds out of it for Moira to see. "See....I designed it to fire a secondary primer on impact with whatever you're shooting at, delivering the payload as if you had fired your gun right next to your target. In terms of materials, it punches through wood and dents steel. DENTS it!" he seems excited about that. Considering conventional bullets don't do a damn thing to steel, a dent is impressive news. "But obviously I can't claim it pierces through deceivers without a field test, and obviously I'm too old for that sort of nonsense. If you field test a few rounds for me on actual deceivers and report back your findings, I'll give you a full magazine as payment."

Armor piercing rounds. With how reletively new firearms even are in Solum, that someone is already developing rounds that can pierce armor is a scary thought, but invaluable considering the monsters you are facing.
Moira looks at one of the new bullets curiously. With the knowledge that it was possible her mind thought about how such a thing was possible.
"Hmm... so the outer shell of the bullet must have a nub at the bottom while the inner core must be a different density so it separates slightly in flight, then at the site of impact it must act as a second firing pin from the recoil. But how do you direct the force forward rather than it potentially blowing back? Unless the slits in the top are expected to blow outward and serve as a barbed anchor to channel the secondary propulsion..... or... it might be something else entirely." she says slightly embarrassed at her geeking out.

"I'd be happy to field test these for you." she says.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings
AT: N/A Wounds: 5/5

Dog lets out a low whistle.

"A warchmogger?" Dog shakes his head, "And you'd probably want those hooves in one piece, so now blowing it up either."

Dog shoots Erica glance with a small smile.

"That'd be one hell of a stiff fight. And how many of these hooves were you hoping for?"
OOC:
Knowlege Check: 3d6=6, 5, 2
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Rudolph seems genuinely pleased and ducks into the back and returns with a magazine. "There are ten shots in there. That should give a reasonable idea of the kind of results to expect. I'll have a full magazine for you when you return. Oh, and here, you'd said you wanted to top off your current magazine." He holds out three rifle bullets to fill Moira's clip. "On the house."

Thorson nods "Aye, the hoof would have to be in one piece, and while ideally you'd bring both back, I could make do with one. Just make sure to bring appropriate carving tools." The hoof being a hard part, a carving bar would be the essential tool.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling

Moira stows the new magazine and tops off the deleted one.

"I'll take measurements and copious notes." she says brightly.

She collects the duplicate gun, makes her good byes, and returns to the armorer.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

At some point the young woman had become lost within thought, hands trailing just a hair's breadth away from a particularly worn looking breastplate. Something about it almost seemed to call to her sixth sense, though logically she knew it to be simple curiosity. It was mention of
Warchmoggers that snapped her back to reality.

Lore: 6 [5,5,4,5,5,5,3,6,1,6]

"D-dangerous... Exceptionally dangerous... With the limitation of having to conduct minimal harm on the body..." She trailed off, paling at the thought. Would it really be worth it, in order to improve the armor they owned or may purchase? To protect their lives in the future, they would first need to risk them. There was something so innately cruel about that.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings

Dog laughs, "Minimum harm to the front legs, Erica. The rest of the body is open for as much violence as we are able to bring to bear."

He was starting to wonder if she felt uncomfortable when blowing things up wasn't on the table.

Still she had a point, "Yeah, if we were to hunt this creature we'd need to plan it out real well. Preferably with an ambush at long range with as many guns as we can, traps, you name it. Fair fight sounds like a quick death."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

"Y-yes. We'd need to treat it like a... Boar hunt. A boar with two larger boar innplace of it's front legs..." She muttered, mind conjuring up terrfying imagery. "We'd also... Need to consider when, exactly, we'd want to try. We're.. Already a little busy with something."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings

Dog waves a hand, "Eh, compared to that tonight should be easy enough."

"From what you said it sounds like half of them will run the minute trouble starts."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

"You who seem to know more," Lloyd asks his companions and the smith, "where can this beast be found?"

"And is there a timeline for this or if we happen to come across it in our travels?
he asks the smith directly.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Thorson shakes his head. "Of course sooner would be appreciated, but realistically I'm in no particular rush. Better you take your time and prepare properly than rush off, get yourselves killed and become of no use to anyone." He sounds flippant, but there is a tone of geniune care for his fellow man, plus, he seems to like your group in particular.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

"Cuz then your daughter couldn't..." Lloyd stops speaking and flushes crimson, suddenly intent on his shoes. Which reminded him.

"Oh, yes, armor! Boots and guantlets. Insulated. If you have."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Thorson chuckles and strokes his chin while tabulating mentally. "So you're wanting two pairs of boots, a helmet, and a pair of gauntlets between the two of ya." He looks at Ericka and Sashura. "Anything for you lasses?"