Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

The way I interpret it is that the dart or glyph itself is undetectable, but all casting still requires gestures, so unless that gesture is hidden or not in sight of the peson you are casting at, even if nothing appears to happen, they at least know you are casting something. Kind of like tensing up when someone throws a fist at your face, not intending to hit you. Brain just registered incoming threat and tenses up.

That having been said, I did forget you had dart and your post didn't mention any dart, so chalk it up to miscommunication, but that is why I asked people be specific with what they are using. If using a glyph with a spell, you need to be specifying that is what you are doing, especially since glpyhs are optional use.

Anyways, I'll go ahead and modify the post, assuming Ericka wouldn't be making her casting gestures in front of them in the first place (for the first casting, I had assumed she approached from behind to touch the bandit for her casting, so nither was expecting it, but after seeing her touch one of them and move to do the other, her presense was known, thus was my thought process here)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've not pictured the casting requiring getures or sounds, simply some veibg more obvious then othwrs. Creating a fertile patch as opposed to mind-thrilling someone with a handshake for instance. If Ericka hadn't read that one bandit weilder's mind, I didn't think she'd ever have realized he triwd to control her.

Here, I mwntioned she was merely looking at each of them arbitrarily, though I didn't mention. The dart aspexr. That I'll admit.

Over and done with niw though, I'll remind you about sygils I'm using in the future.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

I do realize not everyone has a copy of the book/pdf, and that's fine. We don't need retroactively change anything, just something to observe moving forward. Page 243, first paragraph.

To cast an arcane power, one only needs a brief moment to connect wth the forces around them. It requires that energy be drawn from the fate pool into the physical realm through a casting motion, typically fashioned by the person themselves. The exact motion does not matter, so long as the wielder has repeated and rehearsed it a thousand times.

So, it requires no incantation or anything, but the gesture is specific. I honestly picture it being more like Witcher signs. Simple, easily done one-handed, not grandiose, but still notable and not mistakeable as a "casual" gesture one might make in passing, much for the same reason incants in Dresden Files are typically done in a langueg not native to the speaker so you don't speak it casually and invoke power by accident, since the idea is tieing the words/gesture to the magical process that draws out the power so it's reflexive and not something that needs to be thought about.

That's not supported by anything specific, but I do like Dresden Files, so the idea meets up well with the gesture thing in Soulbound. In all, the paragraph is more about giving flavor to casting from the character perspective.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

OH! And before I forget (again); 32XP from RP and event completion up to this point.

And if you missed it before, you got 15XP from the vaelrat.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ahh, interesting. We'll have to be on the look out for seeming normals performing outnof place gestures then.

For Ericka... I suppose you could presume she presses her pointer and index fingers against her temple, like massaging a migraine.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:03 am Ahh, interesting. We'll have to be on the look out for seeming normals performing outnof place gestures then.

For Ericka... I suppose you could presume she presses her pointer and index fingers against her temple, like massaging a migraine.
Ahh, the classic Professor X. :P
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've got my theme, and I'm sticking to it!
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I have to admit I'm kind of bummed the scene got changed. I already had a post in mind :lol:

"KIckback?" Dog asks with a chuckle and a big smile like it's all a big joke.

His smile evaporates in an instant as he leans in with a cold murderous stare, "About how far back you want I should kick you?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Damn, now that's Dog if I'd ever seen him.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Hah, paired with Intimidate, that would have been funny xD

Just a note though, these guys are not beyond your reach for further questioning, nor are they the only source of information. I just want to keep things moving at some kind of pace, rather than bog down the single scene with lots and lots of questioning.

Ultimately, you guys are just here about the supply list. The arsons aren't your job to investigate. You certainly MAY investigate them, I just don't want you to forget you are expected back at the guild before too long. ^^;
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Makes sense.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Understood.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Looks like we're heading back.
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

I notice that short sword has the Combo 2 trait. Does that mean 2 extra attacks as long as have the ATs to pay for them ?

With Sashura's strength, that would be a 3 x 7 dice attack.

IIRC, that bandit didn't fare very well against Erika's Combo 3 (?) attack ...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sliced, diced, and minced. I had a multiattack trick on top of it all that time.
------------