The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kirinke

Re: The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"Considering how things are? I'd think they'd realize the outcome would be worse." she said. "It's another reason why harmony would win out I think." she sipped some of her lemonade. "You're used to mostly evil things like Darksied and his cronies. The upper plane deities are mostly good and neutral and embody those ideals. Peaceful co-existence and balance is part of that." she nodded to the shrine. "The Goddess Abnoba is a prime example of a good deity. The upper planes types are like that to greater and lesser degrees depending on their alignment and portfolios."
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly Lulabye
Hero Points: 2; Current Condition: Fine

"Perhaps you are right," concedes Lilly. "I know little of the gods of your world. Or those of grim Apokalips for that matter! I suppose if there was widespread war in the heavens it would be obvious to those of us down here."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Not necessarily," Adeleth hops in. "We do not know the ways of all gods, present company included. For all we know the old gods of Earth and the recently imported ones are waging what they consider a war that we cannot comprehend nor even see the side effects of. That's the problem with gods. They are enigmas. Who are we to say what happens in their realms? To an insect all of us at this table are gods. With a whim or even completely obliviously we can kill an insect without a second thought. Do you think a fly understands how we make war? It does not." She looks at Amy, "So why do you have the hubris to believe you would know if the gods were warring?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"I don't. I can only go with what I know, feel and can guess." she said. "The ideals of good and neutrality means to me that harmony and peace would by nature win against war and strife. Heaven itself is supposed to be a peaceful place, I can't imagine it would war with itself. It might fight outside threats, but within itself? No... I can't see it." she looked at Adeleth. "For example this. We can talk and disagree without coming to blows. I doubt it would be much different in heaven." she shrugged.

"We can't know until we get there, but that is what I feel."

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly Lulabye

"Well, I think I would feel it, now, if godly energies were being used. If they spilled into this world from elsewhere," comments Lilly consideringly. "My new sense is how I felt the presence of Abnoba at her shrine over there."

"And I do not thinks gods are so unknowable. So enigmatic. They are people. Just ones more powerful than mortal humans, who tap into whatever power is that I sense, that gives me my powers. Their power may make them strange, or arrogant, or both, but would some humans not also become so if they had access to such power? The only difference I see between them and your worlds other super-beings, who have the powers of gods in their own rights, is the source of their great powers..."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"That waters down the word 'god', doesn't it?" Adeleth says. "Kryptonians are extremely powerful but we don't call them gods. Gods traditionally are unknowable and enigmatic. That's why they're gods. They created the world. Their agendas should be unfathomable. If they are 'just like us', then how are they godly?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly Lulabye

"If that is what the gods that exist actually are, then that is what they are," says Lilly seriously. "The actual words used are almost irrelevant. I cannot help it if their - and my - very existence differing from what you think gods should be waters down your concept of gods instead of expanding it."

"And a god also being a person does not make them any less able to create worlds. Surely that is simply a measure of power, not what they fundamentally are."

"People on your world might not call Kryptonians gods - though I do not know, perhaps they do in places. But if it were Kryptonians rather than New Gods ruling on dread Apokalips I know that Hunger Dogs such as my former self would call them gods without hesitation. Because of the power they wield. Not where that power comes from."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"It's not my definition," Adeleth says. "For millennia, gods were remote, separate from mortals, enigmas. Languages change over time. So now gods apparently aren't enigmas. But there should be a distinction between powerful beings and universe creating beings."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"My suggestion would be to visit other shrines and temples and ask the gods there for advice. It would help broaden your perspective, seeing things from both sides." Amy advised. "They may be curious enough to answer!" she told Lilly.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly Lulabye

"They might," agrees Lilly. "And hopefully will!"

She thinks for a moment. "Surely only real the distinction between powerful beings and universe creating beings is their level of power? Or are you saying there is some fundamental difference between the two that I am unaware of?"

"But having lived under the thumb of malevolent gods until recently," she continues. "I don't want gods remote and enigmatic. I want them where I can see them. And avoid them if I need to."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"I don't blame you at all!" Amy said with a laugh. "Mostly, the difference between powerful beings and gods, is belief I think. Some of gods started out as people, who through their deeds were later venerated as deities. Guanyin for example." she said as she pulled out her phone and showed Lilly a wiki article on the deity in question. "She's another benevolent deity I'd recommend you talking to."

"The belief angle can get kinda fuzzy though. Because there are plenty of powerful and not so powerful creatures who think they are gods and even worshipped as such, but really aren't. Ga'ould and Ori for example." she said. "So I guess in the end, it just depends on alot of factors."

ooc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly Lulabye

Lilly looks interestedly at the article. "Yes, she might very well be worth talking to, thank you," she says. "Does she have temples in this part of your world?"

Then a thought occurs. "Are there any other known New Gods on your world? Benevolent ones of course. I would definitely be interested in talking to them, as well!"

"But then what happens if there is a powerful non-godly being, like one of the Kryptonians Adeleth mentioned, and they come to be worshiped? Can they gain godly powers in addition to their non-godly ones? I guess that does not happen to the creatures you mentioned. So is it one thing and not the other? Or does it vary so much you can never be sure?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"But then what happens if there is a powerful non-godly being, like one of the Kryptonians Adeleth mentioned, and they come to be worshiped? Can they gain godly powers in addition to their non-godly ones? I guess that does not happen to the creatures you mentioned. So is it one thing and not the other? Or does it vary so much you can never be sure?"
The girl laughed. "I know I'm not sure! Perhaps given time and belief they might, but again, who knows as it hasn't happened yet at least to the best of my knowledge!"

"I guess the old adage "be careful how you treat others, they might be God in disguise" definitely works even more in this day and age as it could quite literally be true!" she said.

"In any case, I think we can all agree, we'll do our best to help you navigate Earth and I hope you find the answers to your questions."

ooc
There's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Buddhistische_Haus

and I'm sure since the merge, Guanyin become even more popular outside China and Japan! Neo? What's your take on the Shinto/Buddhism angle?

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly Lulabye

Lilly nods in agreement to the adage Amy quotes.

"Thank you," Lilly replies, raising her beer glass in a small salute. "Time will no doubt tell!"

"Now, let me see..." she mutters, pulling out the phone the Ministry gave her. She begins laboriously typing in a search for any information on other New Gods that might be on Earth...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//What do you mean exactly, kirinke?

Currently, there are only two other New Gods active on Earth, as far as the public knows: Big Barda and Scott Free, with both of them being refugees from Apokolips.