Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gilliam

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 7 LP: 1
Condition: Fatigued

The officer introduces herself as captain Maria Lane, from the local police precinct. Law enforcement was alerted when a passer-by heard gunfire and a police patrol happened to be fortunately near by.

"Professor Pandemonium," she thinks aloud, thumbing her chin, before shaking her head. "Never heard of that person before. But the name sounds like one of those Anarchy Command terrorists. They haven't been seen in years. Is that who's handiwork this is?"
"I was thinking along similar lines myself Captain Lane" Imogen replied nodding her head "But I do want to be certain just in case there is a bit of mis-direction going on."
"The heroes did a lot of good and saved many lives. Not just people who would've been hurt by his crazy plots, but young impressionable minds that would've been poisoned by his snake's tongue. But... while the heroes were able to stop Freedman's plots, they weren't nearly as successful as educating him. I don't think Freedman ever considered that he was wrong after all the defeats and physical humiliations. I think he choose to harden his heart more as a defense against his constant and repeated failures to achieve anything." She shakes her head.

A SWAT van and prisoner transport pulls up at the factory's front gate. "Would you like to interrogate any of the prisoners?" Captain Lane asks.
"It surprises me just how long White Knight Knightfire has been around and how many people still lap up his message of hate and fear . One day maybe he will just fade away and yes I would like the opportunity to question some of the prisoners."
OOC wrote: Is it okay for Nightbird to take 10 to intimidate the prisoners for a 24 or would you like me to roll?
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
The Inner City
Psistrike wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 pm "As you can tell it has been a busy day for me already, I hope this statement was enough, I need to contact the other Champions about this matter so we can begin our own investigation. I suspect Doctor Discord might not be working alone, the resources she had would be hard for an individual to acquire unnoticed on their own."
The lanky agent steps into the room, taking in the surroundings. "We will secure medical attention for the civilians in question," he promises, then glances at his tablet computer, showing status reports and data feeds from the AEGIS agents fanning out throughout the building. "Luckily, it seems that whatever mutagen they were using had a very low success rate. My officers cannot find any other cases of gross physical mutation. This appears to be the only case where it has taken full effect on a human."

He touches his chin thoughtfully. "But what the villain said doesn't make sense to me. General Arms Systems makes machines like jets and tanks, not drugs and mutagens. In fact, they too are under attack -- your teammates have just intercepted an attack on their primary facility in the city."

"Thank you for your very detailed and comprehensive statement. AEGIS will be opening its investigation into this incident, but if the past is any clue, heroes will move much faster than we can. You should best contact your teammates; I will stay on-scene to ensure that the residents are thoroughly checked for any symptoms of mutation." He nods and keys his earpiece, directing the other agents moving through the place. You hear the stomp of power-armored boots and, from far outside, the wail of ambulance sirens.

OOC

Unless you have anything else to ask or request of AEGIS, that concludes your scene. If you like, you can join the Jason and Gelert's scene at Justice Hall, or you can wait for the next scene to begin.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:42 am Jason & Gelert
Justice Hall
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:53 pm "Thanks for the help!" Gelert calls down to Jason. Then his ear twitches at the sound of incoming aircraft and he turns to intercept.

He flies to meet the aircraft squadron and begins laying into them with his blast power.
You soar up high above Alcatraz Island where Justice Hall is located and now you can see the eight pinpoints of light, actually the exhaust of eight rocket engines hurtling towards the island. You realize that these are not aircraft -- they are coming in too low and too fast -- but rather long-range cruise missiles.

The blue light brightens about you as you muster your powers. A single pure beam of blue light lances out and sweeps across the missiles in an arc, but then -- but then your vision cuts out and you are suddenly seeing the infinite black void of space.
"Gelert!" a voice calls, small and faint.

You see a handful of blue comets, their light feeble and insignificant against the vastness of outer space, yet so blue and full of sparkling life, hurtling through the void.

"Hope lives on," a different voice whispers.

"Some survive," a third breathes.

"We are coming," hisses a fourth.

The comets accelerate past your point of view, trailing sparks in their wake. The motes of light brighten and dissolve into the light of the midday sun, and your vision is restored.
You blink again and a series of tremendous blasts fill the air. You have detonated all eight missiles before they even reached the Golden Gate bridge. Along the bridge, people have stopped their cars and are rubbernecking to get a good look at the light show; even the civilians being evacuated down below are tempted to steal a look, and the staff have trouble getting them moving. From far away, you hear the sounds, now familiar, of citizens cheering for you.

OOC

The missiles have Improved Evasion, but as a squadron area effects are 5 ranks higher against them.

AA Cruise Missile Dodge DC 25, Toughness DC 25/20: 1D20+12+5 = [7]+12+5 = 24
1D20+8 = [7]+8 = 15

Failed both checks, destroyed.

For foiling the Anarchy Command attack on the island and keeping both Cooper and the civilians safe, both Gelert and Jason receive 2 HP each.

Combat is now over. You can interact, and you should also decide what you want to do with Marshal Lawless and his R.I.O.T. Squad , who are in your custody.
Gelert floats for a moment after the missiles are destroyed. The people were safe, there was a little time to try and contemplate what he'd just seen.

"I'm not the last..." Gelert whispers aloud to no one. Suddenly it feels like an enormous weight he didn't realize he was carrying was lifted off his back.

With relief and joy in his heart Gelert flies back to the island. There were still bad guys to secure, people to ensure the safety of, and an ally to thank.
kenseido wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:57 pm Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Less serious

Seeing the cruise missiles all detonate, Jason sighs in relief. Looking down at his clothes, he grimaces.

"Portare," he incants as the symbols appear beneath him and cause him to fade out.

A minute later, the symbols reappear and Jason fades back in, now in his adventuring clothes.

"That's better."
Gelert makes his way over to Jason, pausing only to confer with the event staff that no one in the crowd was injured in the evacuation.

Floating in front of Jason, Gelert says, "Thank you for the timely back up. I was a little worried I had backed myself into a corner for a moment. Care to help me secure Lawless and his goons? I don't want them causing more trouble when regain consciousness."

Gelert starts using his powers to put unconscious RIOT members in one pile and their weapons and gear in another pile far away.

OOC: I don't know why half of this is bold but I can't find the part with the unclosed bracket.
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fatigued
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:42 pmGelert makes his way over to Jason, pausing only to confer with the event staff that no one in the crowd was injured in the evacuation.

Floating in front of Jason, Gelert says, "Thank you for the timely back up. I was a little worried I had backed myself into a corner for a moment. Care to help me secure Lawless and his goons? I don't want them causing more trouble when regain consciousness."

Gelert starts using his powers to put unconscious RIOT members in one pile and their weapons and gear in another pile far away.
"Sure. You probably don't remember me; you were being kidnapped by a monster when I came crashing in with a shadow demon. Your friend Sunfire helped me fight it, and I cast a locator spell for him."

He turns towards the RIOT squad and uses his own magic to help gather them all together.

"Forzare."

While assisting with cleanup, he continues his conversation. "I dealt with my own attack in the city and they mentioned you so I came to warn you."

"But you already knew."

He's not really sure that is enough to get them to trust him. He wasn't always the nicest guy to Philip when he was working for the Order. That was when he started to realize the Order probably wasn't a good fit for him.

"I'm Jason Maxwell, by the way."
Last edited by kenseido on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Ysariel wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:10 pm Moonlight
The Inner City

OOC

Unless you have anything else to ask or request of AEGIS, that concludes your scene. If you like, you can join the Jason and Gelert's scene at Justice Hall, or you can wait for the next scene to begin.
OOC: Wait for the next scene to begin, don't want to interupt their chat.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Gilliam wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 pm"It surprises me just how long White Knight Knightfire has been around and how many people still lap up his message of hate and fear . One day maybe he will just fade away and yes I would like the opportunity to question some of the prisoners."
"That would be for the best for everyone. Somehow, though, I don't think he will. Hate that turns someone into some kind of ghost, that persists even beyond the grave, doesn't go away easily. I don't suppose any of your hero friends know or are an exorcist?"

Captain Lane nods and gestures at your request to question the prisoners. "I suggest proceeding to the local precinct to proceed with the questioning in more secure conditions. There's a lot more for my officers to clean up here." She looks around, at the wreckage of the Mayhem Machines and the various weapons and supplies stocked around the factory, and sighs.

OOC

Yes, you can take 10 to intimidate minions. You can roll to try and get a result better than you would with a roll of 10, but that wouldn't be worth it in such a situation.

You realize that the prisoners will have to be questioned individually, or they will not confess in front of each other (for fear of being seen as traitors by their fellows and subject to reprisals). Questioning such a large number of thugs will occupy a significant amount of time until the afternoon, which is when the other player characters' scenes take place. If you are fine with this then I will make one more post to give you the results of your interrogation.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Ysariel wrote:
OOC

Yes, you can take 10 to intimidate minions. You can roll to try and get a result better than you would with a roll of 10, but that wouldn't be worth it in such a situation.

You realize that the prisoners will have to be questioned individually, or they will not confess in front of each other (for fear of being seen as traitors by their fellows and subject to reprisals). Questioning such a large number of thugs will occupy a significant amount of time until the afternoon, which is when the other player characters' scenes take place. If you are fine with this then I will make one more post to give you the results of your interrogation.

Yes I am fine to wait till the afternoon :)
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
King's Junction -- Precinct 9
Gilliam wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:55 am Yes I am fine to wait till the afternoon :)
Questioning 50-odd prisoners is long and painstaking work. Even those militants who are willing to cooperated are more concerned with the imminent arrival of Lemurians in the city, and have no knowledge or even interest in Professor Pandemonium and the Anarchy Command; they have no useful information to offer. Others you judge to be unreliable witnesses providing misleading and contradictory testimony in the hope of getting off the hook.

However after many hours of work you strike gold. Firstly, you are able to get some of the militants to spill how they received the Mayhem Machines and other weapons. These were delivered by midget sub to a small cove north of the city, where the militants loaded them onto trucks and shipped them here. This suggests that the Anarchy Command is based out at sea and not from the U.S. mainland, perhaps operating from a ship or other vessel. You are able to get the exact location of the cove where they received weapons.

Even better, one of the militants turns out to be an undercover R.I.O.T. (Revenge, Infiltration, Oppression, Terror) agent from Anarchy Command special forces, present to monitor Knightfire's use of the Mayhem Machines and ensure that the weapons serve Anarchy Command goals. After twisting the thumbscrews (figuratively) on him you finally get him to talk.

"The attack on the Lemurians is just a distraction," he spits. "We will soon destroy General Arms Systems, that instrument of evil that supplies weapons to your tyrannical government for the oppression of metahumans. The time of your reckoning is at hand!"

He continues ranting on about how the rule of law and the international order conspire to oppress metahumans, etc etc, but you can find no further useful information in his ramblings.
Intimidate result of 24

You learn the location of the cove where the Anarchy Command dropped off weapons for the militants. There might be clues remaining there that could lead you to their base.

You also learn that the attack on the Lemurians was a distraction and that the Anarchy Command's real target is General Arms Systems, a major U.S. defense contractor. In addition to various factories, GAS's principal R&D facility is in the city.
By the time you are satisfied with your findings, a new day has begun and the sun has already risen a healthy amount in the sky. And that's when you receive the call from Amethyst.

OOC

Your scene ends here. You will proceed to the next scene once Jason and Gelert's scene ends.
stavaros_the_arcane

kenseido wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 am Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fine
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:42 pmGelert makes his way over to Jason, pausing only to confer with the event staff that no one in the crowd was injured in the evacuation.

"Sure. You probably don't remember me; you were being kidnapped by a monster when I came crashing in with a shadow demon. Your friend Sunfire helped me fight it, and I cast a locator spell for him."

He turns towards the RIOT squad and uses his own magic to help gather them all together.

"Forzare."

While assisting with cleanup, he continues his conversation. "I dealt with my own attack in the city and they mentioned you so I came to warn you."

"But you already knew."

He's not really sure that is enough to get them to trust him. He wasn't always the nicest guy to Philip when he was working for the Order. That was when he started to realize the Order probably wasn't a good fit for him.

"I'm Jason Maxwell, by the way."
"Well its nice to meet you properly this time Jason." Gelert replied always happy to make new friends. "I'm Gelert, but you probably knew that already. "

Gelert is perfectly aware he is one of the most obviously recognizable and well known of all members of the Champions (Past and Present), save for maybe Amethyst. Gelert is pretty sure there's a debate about which of them is the 'face of the team' on an internet forum somewhere. Gelert is smart enough to never try and confirm this.

As Gelert and Jason finish securing and disarming Lawless and his goons Gelert makes a mental note out loud. "I'll have to remember to have them ask Lawless about his support when he comes to. He seemed rather dismissive when I referred to whoever he was communicating with as his 'boss' which leaves me with questions about who he was working with."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
HP: 5. Condition: Fatigued

"One of the guys I encountered mentioned a 'Professor Pandemonium.' Not the craziest name I have come across, but up there."

He decides to skip over the whole "vampire" thing for now.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert & Jason
Justice Hall

As you converse, you notice a commotion going on where the civilians are still being evacuated from the island. The assorted reporters and civvies are dying to know who exactly are these villains that have attacked Justice Hall, and who is this mysterious man who has appeared at the last minute to help foil their attack. The staff are doing a good job keeping them in check; however, one man seems to be actually getting past the cordon.

"Sir -- for your own safety -- sir, kindly refrain from -- "

"Nobody gets in the way of good ol' Cooper! Now make way young man. I have answers to demand!"

"SIR! Please -- someone stop him!"

The overwhelmed staff let slip Cooper, who storms across the plaza, right past the dazed and bound R.I.O.T. Squad troopers, and stops before Gelert and Jason, an accusing finger pointed directly at you.

"YOU! What is the meaning of this?" he says, although for once, Cooper sounds a little less petulant and more genuinely curious. "Even after hearing that I ordered the Champions referred to as "Sham-pions" in all official City Hall correspondence --"

(You recall that Cooper's crimes also include fraud, corruption, money laundering, etc.)

"-- You still saved me from those terrorists, but... WHY?! Cooper would've never done this for enemies -- not without some kind of extremely lucrative benefit to be had. But I offered you nothing!" He seems genuinely bewildered and uncomprehending of your actions.

"You," he wags a finger at Jason. "You appear to be a lackey of these heroes. Explain Gelert's motivations!"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Meanwhile...
General Arms Systems

Junkie, Showstealer, Metallurge and the Matron sit, handcuffed and sullen, within the glowing blue containment field, flanked by a pair of SWAT officers from Phoenix Bay PD.

"We are not cooperating with you in any way, shape or form," trills the Matron. "We will not be interrogated by some teenaged hussy who prances around in broad daylight in her bra and panties. Professional super-powered mercenaries like us have standards to uphold!"

Amethyst decides not to mention that her 20th birthday was last month. "You have the right to remain silent, etc etc," she says. "However, if you don't spill the beans, I will upload this video of you getting totally wrecked for the world to see." She spreads her hands to open a holographic screen, and turns it to face the villains; it shows Metallurge wetting his pants.

The four villains swallow in unison, a synchronized GULP of terror.

"Just so you know," Amethyst adds, smugly wagging the holographic pane in their faces, "the last time I did this to Big Brain, I got half a million views on YouTube in a day."

The four criminals exchange nervous looks.

"He was ever after known as Big Brainless for getting outsmarted by a girl whose mind he could literally read."

"Okay! Okay!" Junkie roars. "Some dude called Professor Pandemonium offered us money to take this job. Offered to pay enough to buy me a fix every day for the rest of mah life."

"And the Daka Crystal? The Adamantium alloy?" she holds up the now-discharged crystal in her gauntleted hand.

"...Gifts from him," Showstealer finishes.

"The two of you," the Matron seethes, "are utterly without principle!"

"What did he send you here to steal?"

"NOTHING!" Metallurge blurts out. "We were merely sent here to cause destruction, vandalism and a general ruckus. Which just goes to demonstrate how much of a WITLESS FOOL this so-called 'Professor' is. General Arms Systems is, as you know, a major defense contractor for the U.S. military -- chock-full of classified weapons systems! Even without orders, I'd planned to take my own pick of the spoils -- after I'd finished humiliating you, of course!"

Naturally, Amethyst thinks. If this Pandemonium character told you what they were after, or got you to steal it, you'd have taken it for yourself instead.

"I've heard enough," she nods to the officer in charge on scene. "You can take them away."

She walks out of the hangar into the midday sunlight, surrounded by a pair of her floating drones. Police officers lift the cordon for her to pass. "Amy," she looks at one of the drones. "What do you think?"

"Either a diversion, or a probing attack to test our response," the A.I.'s synthetic voice says. "If it's a diversion, then the primary attack may already have been called off due to the failure of other diversionary attacks around the city." Inside Amethyst's HUD, windows pop up displaying breaking news feeds: 'Surprise Attack on Heroes' New HQ Foiled', reads one, 'Genetic Terror Halted in City Centre' screams another.

"That makes sense. But villains with these kinds of resources don't give up easily. They'll be back soon, and I still don't know what exactly they're after. Without that, there's no way to tell where they'll strike next."

"Well," the A.I. says, "The most direct way would be to ask the management of G.A.S. which of their top-secret black projects is attracting flies."

Amethyst makes a face. "I never thought that being a superhero would involve so much dealing with sleazy people."

"Just smile, hold your breath and remind yourself you're doing it for the city."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
Ysariel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:42 am"You," he wags a finger at Jason. "You appear to be a lackey of these heroes. Explain Gelert's motivations!"
Jason stares at the Mayor for a second before responding.

"Of course you don't understand," he say matter-of-factly. "He's a hero. That's what heroes do. They help people who need help."
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:42 am Gelert & Jason
Justice Hall

As you converse, you notice a commotion going on where the civilians are still being evacuated from the island. The assorted reporters and civvies are dying to know who exactly are these villains that have attacked Justice Hall, and who is this mysterious man who has appeared at the last minute to help foil their attack. The staff are doing a good job keeping them in check; however, one man seems to be actually getting past the cordon.

"Sir -- for your own safety -- sir, kindly refrain from -- "

"Nobody gets in the way of good ol' Cooper! Now make way young man. I have answers to demand!"

"SIR! Please -- someone stop him!"

The overwhelmed staff let slip Cooper, who storms across the plaza, right past the dazed and bound R.I.O.T. Squad troopers, and stops before Gelert and Jason, an accusing finger pointed directly at you.

"YOU! What is the meaning of this?" he says, although for once, Cooper sounds a little less petulant and more genuinely curious. "Even after hearing that I ordered the Champions referred to as "Sham-pions" in all official City Hall correspondence --"

(You recall that Cooper's crimes also include fraud, corruption, money laundering, etc.)

"-- You still saved me from those terrorists, but... WHY?! Cooper would've never done this for enemies -- not without some kind of extremely lucrative benefit to be had. But I offered you nothing!" He seems genuinely bewildered and uncomprehending of your actions.

"You," he wags a finger at Jason. "You appear to be a lackey of these heroes. Explain Gelert's motivations!"
Gelert gives Cooper a tired and disappointed look. "...you ever consider that an attitude like that is the reason you have so many enemies?"

Gelert would swear that trying to get through to Cooper was like beating his head against a particularly thick wall.
kenseido wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 am Jason Maxwell
Ysariel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:42 am"You," he wags a finger at Jason. "You appear to be a lackey of these heroes. Explain Gelert's motivations!"
Jason stares at the Mayor for a second before responding.

"Of course you don't understand," he say matter-of-factly. "He's a hero. That's what heroes do. They help people who need help."
Gelert cheered up a bit. Having someone who understood made things much less frustrating. "I have more important things to do than think about whether helping someone benefits me or if the person I'm helping deserves it. But at this point Cooper, I think you're too set in your narrow mindset for me to get through to you and make you really understand that people other than you matter."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert & Jason
Justice Hall
kenseido wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 am"Of course you don't understand," he say matter-of-factly. "He's a hero. That's what heroes do. They help people who need help."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:07 pm"I have more important things to do than think about whether helping someone benefits me or if the person I'm helping deserves it. But at this point Cooper, I think you're too set in your narrow mindset for me to get through to you and make you really understand that people other than you matter."
"Nonsensical! Preposterous! Both of you are proposing throwing away favors and benefits for nothing!"

Cooper pauses as something seems to strike him.

"However... come to think of it, this actually isn't the first time you Champions have done something for Cooper. For example, there was that time that creepy red ring fell out of space in front of City Hall. You may actually be serious about this."

You can see the gears in Cooper's head -- very old, very rusty gears -- start to grind and turn.

"In fact, i-it... it might even b-be a g-good thing! Why, if not for your help, I'd be subjected to all manner of cruel, inhuman torture by those anarchists and be forced to confess that I used a picture of your face as an ashtray!" Cooper blurts out, then looks up at Gelert. "No offense."

Cooper scratches his head. "And despite being completely against any kind of sense, there's no denying that you heroes have been pretty successful so far. After all, you did beat Lord Steel and Lady Lucienne, which I certainly didn't expect."

He scratches his head, then shakes it, as if to dismiss this extremely disturbing line of thought. "In any case! I, the honorable Cooper, am a man of honor. I wish to say... th... t-th..."

Cooper visibly struggles, like a very old and badly maintained car trying to start its engine.

"Thank you."

He straightens his tie and pompously waddles off.

As the Mayor does so, one of Amethyst's drones flies up to both of you. "Gelert," Amy's synthetic voice says from its speakers, sounding grave. "Excellent work keeping the civilians safe. There have been other attacks elsewhere in the city, and we must discuss what we should do. Amethyst and the others will be arriving soon."

The drone swivels to focus its camera on Jason. "Good afternoon, Jason Maxwell. I recall you as an acquaintance of Kisai's; I would like you to come as well, given how you have helped defeat this attack. We may need all available assistance."