[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Science and Superstition

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 2; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

"Hah!," Jenny exclaimed once the grenade had done its work. She sidled around the edge of the room, headed for the door that the "Captain" had torn off. Hopefully Claire was in there somewhere- and there weren't TOO many options to choose from.

Perhaps Eric's sense of smell or Mikjal's uncanny wayfinding ability might help them find the right door...

>OOC: Checking in
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: Anything you wish to add with the Captain there Cheyene, or good to go?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: -2 Bruised, Dazed (healing)

"Well that's not good," Felix mutters prodding the tattoos, "Good news bad news time."

"Looks like these idiots are trying to make their own super soldier program, they just tattooed this guy today," He points to the red irritated skin, "But it's a Mage's Breath incident all over again. He's a normal human, not magically inclined so these tattoos are burning his body out."

He frowned, "Except these tattoos are always on, so... uh, I give him about a week before he's dead."
Chey grunted in surprise at the revelation. But she didnt know anything about her own tattoos much less this guys, not to mention taking him with them would be tantamount to disaster and dangerous for Felix and the rest.

She shook her head like some great lioness. snorted in disapproval

:Another time." was all she said before she went to look for Claire which was the reason they came in the first place.

She has claires ""Scent"" so shoudl be able to track her
Last edited by catsi563 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 1

Felix frowns then looks back at the man.

He wasn't even sure what he could do if he had time to work on the man. How did the tattoos affect the man? Would it be as easy as removing the tattoos, and skin? Simply crossing them out? Would that release a potentially fatal amount of magic into his system?

He didn't have the answers, and he didn't know he had the time to find out either. But it felt wrong to just leave without even trying.
He gave himself another thirty seconds and examined the tattoos again. If he could disable them temporarily maybe he'd be able to do something.

The reality of the situation was that he was most likely going to picked up bodily by a weretiger and carried off before the next wave of security guards arrived.
Last edited by Arkrite on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne

Cheyenne turned to begin tracking Claire but paused as Felix turned back to look at the captain laying there, She closed her eyes for a second before stepping back and standing over Felix. She made no other move just stood there like some big scary guard dog watching and protecting something letting Felix do his work in peace,
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: Apologies for my delay, folks. Been exhausting this past week. Let's move right along then...

Cheyene get's ready to start tracking down the wayward orc, Felix spends a little extra time studying the captain's runic tattoos. He's quick to establish that they were much like the Mage-Breath drug that even now still passes around some circles, though in diminishing quantities. Unlike the woman's own tattoos which seem to passively absorb and regulate her magic back into her own body, the inscribers attempted to make the magic draw from an external source and regulate it at a more surface level. Perhaps they hoped it would've mitigated the toxic mana-buildup normal humans, but they've evidently missed the mark.

Right now it's effectively out've juice, but it could be recharged unlike the street-drug. Felix is able to make a few guess-isms about ways he could modify the Captain's own tattoos to completely block-out any more transference of mana into it, effectively turning it into very pretty but ineffective designs. In fact, he's confident enough with his own skill that it'd probably take an actual master of spell-inscription to undo what he could pull off with some decent skill, the right facilities, and time.

MIkjal stands by the technomage as he examines the downed man, while Eric roughly pulls the lanky guardswoman to drag along into the room Cheyenne now enters.

Sci Fi Medical Lab (Dami Nuga)

What looks to have been a facility ripped straight out of the Hermes Medical Center, an advanced yet infamously expensive hospital within the city's central downtown area. It would've looked marginally more impressive if it weren't for the fact that half the equipment had been ripped from the floor and used as throwing stones, electronics sparking up an awful smelling haze of smoke in the destruction's wake. Men and woman dressed in the garb of researchers lay about in crumpled heaps, some with serious looking wounds. Alongside them is a small contingent of security that tried to bar the captain from leaving the door. A quick check reads them as unconscious, a few with electrical burns from a spent grenade.

Cheyenne's senses direct her towards a door toward the back right with convenient signage listing it as "Holding Cells".

Yet before she can advance further, her sharp eyes detect movement as an old Caucasian man with wispy white hair pokes his head out from behind what seems to be a chair straight out of a dentist's OR. "I-Is he down? Did you take neutralize down?" His eyes flit from the woman's attire to a downed guardsman, but he makes no comment about the obvious lack of affiliation.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix frowns tapping a finger against his staff as he examines the downed man.

"Okay, so he's not self sustaining," he waves a hand while pointing a finger at something only he can really see, "And the gas tank is at zero. No more hulking out for you. Huh. Can be recharged. Ambient energy? Maybe. Probably a focused field."

"Hack, Slash," He says, queueing the red and blue drones to detach from their hiding spot under his coat. With a quick shove of his staff to move limbs into place and he had them spray the man's wrists and ankles together with the foam like binding agent he'd designed. For a few seconds it looked like foamy shampoo. A few seconds after that? Dried cement.

"I can fix him, but I can't do it here or now," Felix says then thumps his staff on the ground as a thought rumbles through his head.

A plan that would probably only work because the man wasn't linked to the tattoos through his own magic. Attempting to do the same to someone like Cheyenne would probably result in accomplishing nothing while also being lit on fire by the magical backlash.
Not that he'd ever try, he liked Cheyenne, and even if he didn't he wouldn't cut somebody off from magic. That was simply too cruel to imagine.

Besides, it'd be like thinking you could hotwire a cutting edge state of the art jet fighter because you figured out how to start the Wright brother's airplane once.

Also Cheyenne would flatten him. Somehow that made him feel better about the situation.

He passes the staff back to the thin robot arms on his coat, ignores the drones circling over his head, and grabs the man by the back of the collar, "Help me drag him back. Got a hunch."

He frowns then adds, "But if we need to we drop him and run."

The man would probably die without intervention, but Felix wasn't willing to put some guy (who was probably not a very nice guy, as he worked for a creepy company that experimented on people) over his own teammates.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
He passes the staff back to the thin robot arms on his coat, ignores the drones circling over his head, and grabs the man by the back of the collar, "Help me drag him back. Got a hunch."

He frowns then adds, "But if we need to we drop him and run."
Chey grunted then leaned down and hefted the big man over her shoulder. Before turning and beginning to track Claires "scent"

she went through the rent doors and discovered a respectable amount of carnage.

et before she can advance further, her sharp eyes detect movement as an old Caucasian man with wispy white hair pokes his head out from behind what seems to be a chair straight out of a dentist's OR. "I-Is he down? Did you take neutralize down?" His eyes flit from the woman's attire to a downed guardsman, but he makes no comment about the obvious lack of affiliation.
She grunted to the burden over her shoulder. and made her way to the cells where she stopped eyes the door and proceeded to pull with every bit of strengrh she had until she pulled the door open not bothering with any locks

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

"Terrible. To have the Neutralize project go like this..." He trailed off, cstxhing himself before he revealed anything more. The researcher makes no move to vacate the comforting cover that is the chair.

Cheyenne moves with confidence through the wrecked lab, even with the bundle of a bound man over her shoulder. The door appears to be solid metal, and with some heavy locking mechanisms in place along with a card reader. "...I'd say you can't go in there, but I don't think I or anyone else can stop you from it."

GM:Strength check
------------
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne

Door was heavy duty but she didnt hesitate and put more of her shoulder into it bracing her feet and widening her hips to get more leverage as she pulled

Cheys strength check _: 1D20+12 = [13]+12 = 25
decent if not enough shell blow a HP

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix nearly goes with the guard when Cheyenne picks him up, only managing to let go at the last moment.

She certainly made it look easy.

As he walked into the room he stopped dead, looking at the destruction and injured people everywhere.

"Sweet merciful crap," He says, hesitating on what to do next. The truth was he didn't know any medicine, and his magic wasn't geared towards it. There was little he could do beyond calling an army of ambulances.
Then his attention turned to the hiding technician.

"Project Neutralize. What, Project New Order too accurate? Or just already spoken for?" He asks stomping over as only a skinny one armed man can managed. Lots of energy, very little actual stomping, "Let me guess, you empower normal people with runes and use them to fight magic users."

"Try to keep it nice and light so the mana doesn't kill them. Except it didn't work, did it? Not only is it still killing him, it messed with his mind, didn't it?"
Felix came to a stop a few feet away, thumping his staff down.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

he leicks his lips, and Felix get's the impression the old man is rather shell shocked by everything happening. "Magic is new. Old. We don't understand it. Remember it. The director thought she finally had a breakthrough from... Something. Yet magic is dangerous."

The man's eyes barely left Cheyenne as she bodily pushes against the solid steel door, snapping it's bolts to send the metallic slab careening down into the following hallway. Rooms with transparent walls line the length of it, her arcane senses dirrecting her towards one near the back.

"...Very, very dangerous..."
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 2; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

Jenny trailed along in Cheyenne's wake, wordlessly observing the destruction- both what they had caused, and what had apparently happened without them. She eyed the scientist coldly when he spoke though. "That's right, very dangerous- and we're chock full of it. Good thing we're not the 'Kill all the witnesses type', isn't it? Probably don't want to do anything to make us regret that policy..." Her voice wasn't threatening, just calm and level- which carried its own sort of weight. Without waiting for a reply, she followed Cheyenne into the hallway...

>OOC: Probably going to be pretty quiet this week- a sizable portion of my coworkers decided to simultaneously quit over the weekend (in celebration of Labor Day?). That means those of us left have to spend the week doing damage control and "What do we do now?"- which doesn't leave much energy or creativity to spare. Sorry.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: My father has surgery this Friday, so the following week will be a bit scattered for me as well.

Hard eyes flutter to the homeless girl, seemingly measuring her for whatever she was worth in a fight. "I'm just some grognard. Like I told her, I couldn't stop you even if I wanted to."
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix stands there staring at the man, wanting to yell, to rant and eventually just lets out a sigh of frustration.

Bullying the guy who was already terrified wasn't who he wanted to be right now.

"You can come out from behind the chair, nobody's planning on hurting you," Felix says quietly turning his attention to the wreckage.

"I want to yell at you, but... you already know don't you? That what you're doing here is wrong? But you're just so scared you're ignoring all the terrible things going on around you," Felix doesn't sound angry just... sad.

"Normal humans can't have magic shoved into them, grafted into them, it will kill them. You had to have known that by now. There had to be safer tests before going to human testing," He asks quietly, "Why?"