[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Recovery

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:1
Cnd: Physically Disabled (-5 to Circumstance Checks)
PP:0
OOC: I'm going to leave the "Physically Disabled" Condition up until I'm sure it's ok to take it down. I'll also spend my 1pp now to improve John's Vehicle: Motorcycle skill.
John isn't back to normal yet. The same vapors that killed Duncan have also seared his own lungs. There is still shortness of breathe and pain from time to time. But as long as he is conscious and capable, John knows that Ascendant Chen isn't going to accept his injuries as an excuse not to submit a report. So he drags himself out of bed and proceeds to his quarters in order to work in private.

OOC: I'm not sure by what means John can send a private, electronic report to Ascendant Chen, so I'll take liberties to assume he has a computer or some other secured device in his quarters to do so.

The veteran soldier has had plenty of time to mull over the last mission. One thing is for sure, John has hitched his wagon to this cause for the time being. As far as he's concerned, he doesn't get paid handsomely unless Null and his regime are successful. To that end John must make sure to provide accurate and relevant assessments to Chen and not get wrapped up in inter-political struggles between Null and Sokolov.
OOC: What follows are the the key points of John's report to Ascedant Chen.
Retrieving the Viridi Mater specimen -despite the firefight and damage that ensued - makes the mission a moderate success. The group -for the most part - created a sound initial plan with a contingency in case their secrecy was blown. Whether Carter Howell's actions initiated Stronghold's progression towards a higher state of readiness cannot be known. But it is not out of the question. The sudden decision by Stronghold to relocate the specimen within a mere 24 hours of the planned mission to acquire it, must be viewed as suspiciously coincidental. It seems reasonable to assume that an intelligence leak exists somewhere. To be frank, if I were in charge, the mission would have been called off. However a cost-benefit analysis could justify the call to proceed. In hind sight, one might conclude my decision to abort the mission would be a conservative mistake. But I shall say that the mission was close to failure on multiple occasions. Only through the desperate effort of our team did the sample arrive at our base undamaged.

The groups investment in smoke-generating munitions proved to be beneficial as it provided visual concealment both to attack and to hide. On the other hand, the group's profound lack of secure communications lead to my near capture as well as the inability to coordinate once the cohesion of the initial plan broke down. So, there are really only two assets that are critically deficient at this moment. Secure communications and contingency plans that allow for a rapid concentration of overwhelming force and then a concealed extraction (in force) if a clandestine mission is discovered. I shall be discussing this matter with Ascendant Gonzalez and Dr. Sokolov's android, Iona, at our next meeting. I can say that plans are in motion for the creation of a fighting force. This could help us address the 2nd deficiency in time. I am unaware, however, of any effort to provide communications. Rest assured, Ascendant, that I shall make that my primary mission in the weeks to come.

After submitting his report to Ascendant Chen, John follows Diego's order to report for a private meeting.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Haunted
Form: Mist

Before departing with the others to a conference room, Diego ensured the guard was still keeping tabs on Carter. So long as Diego had him, he was going to get information. Once the kid left the base, Diego would need to get word to Praetor Null on his suspicions that Praetor Null likely knew anyway.

In the room, Diego waited in his native form for the others to arrive and take a seat or stand as desired. He pulled up a tactical map of the city, a bit outdated due to recent events, but close enough for his purposes. "I've managed to redirect Strongholds attentions to other areas of the city for now. They still seem intent on clearing the area and having some additional patrols though.", begins Diego. "It is only a matter of time though before they get to work around our base. So, it is imperative we get proper armaments and establish our forces."

"Based on intelligence gathered from a mobile device belonging to a Jaguar that ambushed an arms purchase by some of the base soldiers, the Jaguars have established a drug lab somewhere in this ward. The merchant they were to purchase from if being held alive there or one of the Jaguar fighters may have intelligence which can lead us to an arms cache. While we do not hav he exact location, there is multiple GPS locations pulled off the phone as well. So one might be the location of the lab.", continues Diego.

He brings up the map proper, to have a visual aid. "Another issue that will effect an assault on the lab is the presence of a Jaguar who doesn't look like the rest. His head supposedly looked like more than just a mask. So, they might have access to transformative technology and not be so simple to dispatch as we desire. Add that to the increased patrols and possible interference again by Dr. Sokolov's agents, this will not be a simple grab. I do not see another way to get the armaments we require for a possible army though.", adds Diego. He left out the politics of it all assuming the others just knew that bit. When he spoke of Dr. Sokolov's interference, nothing in his tone or cadence changed to indicate that it was just another complication.

"Unless anyone here has an other idea how to procure sufficient arms, we will need to scout out the ward as best we can for the drug lab. This time hopefully be a bit more quiet about the operation.", adds Diego indicating the ward's location on the map plus several GPS points provided from the phone dump.
Supernaturalist

Iona
VP: 1
Cnd: Normal
EP:3

After returning from Dr. Sokolov, Iona has been busy with a multitude of tasks: Directing the construction of an additional escape tunnel, procuring equipment for the foundation of another base, looking after Carter, and doing her own personal research. These were primary objects of her attention; unfortunately there were scores of other minor duties to perform on a daily basis.

When Diego calls she and John to the meeting, the young cyborg is speaking with Dr. Franklin about the arrival of the new medical equipment promised by Dr. Sokolov. Wrapping up her conversation with the physician, Iona proceeds to the conference room. She promptly seats herself, not fully knowing what to expect, and remains silent during Diego's brief presentation.

When he is finished, she speaks in her gentle voice. "The Jaguars...I remember a little about them from our trip into Ward 23 just prior to our failed mission at St. Luke's hospital in Wichita. They are an unusually violent gang of mostly Latino ethnicity, right? I need to re-acquaint myself with information on them. As for the possible location of the drug lab here in our ward, how many GPS locations are we talking about exactly? And did I hear you correctly? The Jaguars have captured the weapons-dealer that our base-personnel were negotiating with for arms?"

Iona pauses to allow Diego to answer before asking any more questions.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego studied the android for a moment before responding. Iona apparently hadn't been programed with sufficient data from Dr. Sokolov. "The Jaguars are mainly Latino and headquartered in Ward 23, as you know. Somehow they managed to carve out a Ward for themselves free of Stronghold. The Intel I have indicates they are well funded and have pull throughout the city. Like all gangs, they are violent when needed and trade favours when it suits them. I would expect no less of them. ", says Diego by way of introduction.

"They somehow found out about an arms deal they didn't sanction with some of Praetor Null's people and ambushed it. The soldiers were not procuring weapons for the base in particular. I found the three surviving ones in our infirmary. Their contact who was captured and might be being tortured as we speak has access to weapons. If we can stock up through him at a discount for saving his life, assuming he isn't dead, that would help alleviate our weapon supply problem somewhat.", explains Diego.

Turning to the next topic, Diego brought up the points. "My informants say there is a lot of Jaguar activity around three sites focused around the south of the ward. It also coincides with an area known for Jaguars to deal drugs. This operation will be in our area, if we can execute it, so as much restraint as is possible should be shown. It's another risk, but unless anyone else has a line on weapons we will have an army with no guns without this risk.", remarks Diego.
Should I assume Diego already sent the info out to his network and do the roll or will that come later?

spycraft 30
Last edited by mrdent12 on Sat May 29, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Jaguar Hunt

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Diego's informants aren't able to tell him where the drug lab itself is located. However, the Forgotten mention regular Jaguar sightings on three different streets in the south of Ward 3. These are locations where Jaguars have staked out/claimed and are actively selling drugs.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
"...It's another risk, but unless anyone else has a line on weapons we will have an army with no guns without this risk.", remarks Diego.
John shakes his head as if to say "no". "I've resupplied myself mostly from captured equipment. There's been a few cases where equipment has come from Praetor Null's arsenal, but that is not the norm. I'm definitely interested in your plan to get munitions and weapons flowing to the base. My supplies are not gonna last forever either. "

John relaxes back for a moment, taking a sip of coffee. "Once your plan to equip and train combattants gets into full swing, you can assert yourself over this ward lust like the Jaguars have in theirs. Obviously we're in no shape right now to take on the Jaguars and Stronghold in a full-scale brawl, but a covert operation to save this contact you mentioned is doable. And if there's some extra damage to Jaguar personnel...well...so much the better. They need to know that if they mess with Null's forces, then it will come with a cost."
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona is even less connected with potential arms dealers than either Diego or John. The only person I could possibly ask is Dr. Sokolov. I can't imagine he would have stores of weapons and equipment.

Waiting until both John and Diego are finished speaking, Iona shifts her flawless, aquamarine eyes back and forth between her teammates. "I'm afraid that I can offer no hopeful suggestions. Dr. Sokolov is my only contact of substance. while I'm not completely certain that he has no significant store of arms - or even access to large stores of arms - I'm confident that he would not aid us with such a drain on his own resources if he did have them. I...have been wrong before, however. When I return to him next for maintenance, I could speak to him about acquiring equipment for our soldiers. Who knows what he might say or how he might aid us?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"This base is already provisioned by his equipment to a degree. Asking him for more may certainly be an option if it is for this base, but to provision an army he would not control is not something I believe is within his capacity. One of his I suspect nearly compromised beyond repair our previous mission. To what ends, I can only guess at until Carter awakens to properly question.", remarks Diego. He did suspect it had to do with the plant and a rivalry with Praetor Null for influence, but that didn't need to be said here.

With everyone in agreement, Diego began laying out the initial start of the plan. "Before going too far, we will need to scout out the possible locations, preferably under the cover of night. Workmen may be about during the day and with workers comes increased heavily armoured patrols. Coverings should be easy enough if you two disguise yourselves as homeless with dirty faces, extra baggy clothes, and other items to sell the guise. Once we find the most viable candidate, we will need to ascertain as much as we can before breaching. Jaguars should not suspect Praetor Null's forces were involved at all. Stronghold is enough of an enemy right now.", lays out Diego.

"Any questions?", inquires Diego.
Supernaturalist

Iona

After Diego finishes speaking, Iona nods in agreement. “I shall do whatever you require…” Her soft voice breaking the silence. “…but perhaps I could take some form of suppressed pistol. If I am to ensure that Praetor Null’s fingerprints are not on this mission, I’ll need a means of using force without relying too heavily on my advanced technological systems. When do you wish to begin?"
OOC: Would Iona need to spend some equipment points to get a silenced pistol or would that be a one-time piece of equipment for this mission?
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

John intentionally allows everyone to speak before him. He listens as Iona expresses her concerns about acquiring a weapon. “Maybe I can help you find something suitable to your tastes. Check with me after the meeting.

The soldier then looks to Diego. “I realize that our communications situation is not ideal at present. But I strongly suggest we give priority to improving it. It is simply too great a liability to have, especially as our operations groups get larger and larger. Might I inquire about any programs that you have in the works to rectify this deficiency?

John waits for Diego to respond before continuing his discussion. When he is satisfied about that issue, he moves on to the next.

I’m not sure what role, if any, you have planned for me in our latest mission. One possible suggestion would be the securing of an extraction route by means of a heavy weapons ambush. I don’t know much about the Jaguar’s fighting capabilities. Hopefully you have some intel that would fall under the “military intelligence” category. I’ll take whatever I can get. I know you want to keep this mission on the “down low”, and I do think our group will get better in time, but we’re still new as a team. I think there’s more growing pains left to suffer to be honest. I’d rather err a little more on the heavily armed side this time around.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Not that anyone could tell, a floating blob doesn't have a direction really, but in his mind Diego was turning towards Iona. "Our armoury is generally empty and we have lost much of any good will we had with the base personnel after the loss of the van, so proceed with getting a weapon with caution. We will leave once all preparations are made and it is dark enough to avoid work going on in the ward.", remarks Diego. He was trying to take the others in the base into consideration, but in his mind it was too big already. Leadership demanding changes of style however.

Diego next "turned" towards John in his mind. "Our base has multiple deficiencies. Secure communications being one of them. We have a chance to have a weapons supply line now, so giving up that chance to get functional communications gear instead would be a wasted opportunity. We will address communications when possible.", bluntly states Diego. John may be the delegate of Ascendent Chen, but Diego and Iona still were leading the base.

"The initial mission is a scouting one. Once we know the terrain, we can plan the next steps assuming Sokolov doesn't interrupt those plans agains with his own agents. Planning am ambush point if you desire is a good idea. Bringing heavy weapons, so long as you are not drawing too much attention is also a good idea.", adds Diego. Something going about with a heavy machine gun or rocket launcher seemed rather risky, but if John had ideas Diego wasn't going to dismiss them out of hand.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

John nods at Iona. " I think I know a couple of people who could spare you a pistol and suppressor. You'd have to take care of it and return it though."

He then looks to Diego. Though quite wary of undertaking another mission without proper communication technology, John has no choice to consent. "Since the initial mission is merely one of reconnaissance, we may be able to get by without instantaneous, secure communication...if done properly. As for equipment, I'll conceal a knife and suppressed pistol underneath some loose clothing. It should be easy enough to create a shabby, vagrant "look" with lots of pockets to hide things."

"One last thing: What do our maps tell us about the probable locations of this Jaguar drug lab?"
Supernaturalist

Iona

Concealing her identity and sneaking around in disguises to hide her looks is becoming more natural. When Diego mentions playing the part of Hadron City's homeless in order to scout out the Jaguar hideout, Iona immediately starts thinking about clothing to cover up her beauty, especially that of her face. The looser fitting the better...the clothing needs to leave as much to the imagination as possible.

When John offers to help Iona acquire a firearm, She thanks him. Then looking back to Diego, she folds her arms and nods. "I shall be ready to go whenever you deem it appropriate."
OOC: Between the meeting and the mission, Iona will acquire her firearm and then get back to her busy routine. It's a good thing she doesn't need to sleep. She'd never get anything done. :)
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

John was like a dog with a bone. Diego was acutely aware of the communications issue. Still, Diego kept his response to Johns pushing less harsh due to being an agent of Chen. "An army that can talk, but has no weapons is useless. It is partially because of our lack of armaments that Iona needed to resort to what she did.", remarks Diego leaving it there.

"Loose fitting clothes, tattered hoodies, even big bags that look like they hold all you have in the world will fit in just fine. It is your discretion the weapons you bring so long as you can bring them without compromising the mission.", begins Diego. "As for the map, my sources do not know which location is the drug lab. All they said is the three areas mentioned are heavy with Jaguar activity. We will need to be careful to avoid drawing attention. The Jaguars somehow have a superhuman of their own. Getting into a big battle will draw Stronghold attention again here.", says Diego.

Looking about the room Diego gives the final spiel. "This is a recon mission to gather intelligence for the strike on where they may be holding the arms dealer. The drug lab if not holding the man will have people who can get us up the chain. We leave when you both are properly disguised and their is sufficient cover of night. Any other questions?", inquires Diego. He was already primed to scout even in day light, but Iona and John would have more trouble with that.
Last edited by mrdent12 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:
John wrote: What do our maps tell us about the probable locations of this Jaguar drug lab?"
As Diego has said, you don't have any solid information on the drug lab. What you know is this:

* Ward 3 was a manufacturing center before the war.
* Ward 3 is now a complete ruin. The vast majority of buildings are piles of rubble. Some few are toppled and broken husks that might be usable as shelter. The Foundry above your HQ is a rare treasure.
* Diego's informants have noted Jaguar activity in three general areas in the South of the Ward. Again, general areas. Nothing specific as Building A, Building B, and Building C. We're talking Streets A-C.

If you want to know what was in those areas before nearly everything was laid to waste, make a Hadron City check as your character pours over maps.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created