Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Jaguar Hunt

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 1
VP: 1
Cnd: -3 to Damage Checks; Fatigued; Dazed
PP:0
EP:3

The assault on Iona is like nothing she had ever known. She was a creature created by super-science, with a love and passion for the same. Yet what is happening to her now defies anything that even her super intellect can explain. What power is this that can attack the very consciousness and experience of a being?

When she sees the entity known as Imperator, she freezes. Unsure if it is indeed real, though it appears in every way to be so. But then the energy buildup swells before her very eyes and her instinct for self-preservation takes over.
OOC: Here is Iona's Dodge check: Dodge Roll for Iona vs "Nuclear Option": 1d20+8 20.
So, a 20 exactly. I assume she must now make the DC 20 Damage Check. She must do so at a -2 due to previous injuries. Here's the roll: Damage Check versus "Nuclear Option" Effect: 1d20+10 19. So, a 19. One degree of failure.
She is now at -3 to further Damage Checks.
She reacts by diving to the ground as the explosion rips through the entire area. The blast forces her down into the hard dirt at an even greater velocity than she had intended. The concussive force dents some of her internal structure and leaves her outer appearance bruised and abraded to go along with the many lacerations of her "flesh". She is now looks a far cry from the beauty that Dr. Sokolov constructed.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted
Form: ?

Another mindscape? Iona was here now and his objective, his prize, was with him as well. Boundless questions raced through his mind. Was the black oily heart the source of the mental visions and somehow the Jaguars had tapped into it? Had Iona attacked him while he was mentally pulled into the mindscape? How could a group of criminals have this sort of power at their disposal yet have such poor security at the facility?

From the scene it was clear what had happened, in his mind. They had been lulled into a state where they were made vulnerable enough to be captured. Another layer to the evil demon was also not off the table. Diego felt on the verge of being complete if he could just finish whatever he needed to do. Praetor Null would hopefully be of some guidance as the vision and power felt like it was tied to his Ascension in some way. It wasn't unreasonable the Jaguars had captured someone who was trying to mimic the Ascension process and had partially succeeded based on the escaped creature.

Scene and situation clearing up in his mind, Diego had to get his goals straight. For killing soldiers of Praetor Null and taking an arms dealer with links to a weapons stash, Diego would simply kill the Jaguars here. Now they would be interrogated and forced to convey how this was all managed plus what was going on. If the lone survivor hadn't bene taken yet, even in his painful state he might be a useful source of information. Next, he had to report into Praetor Null for clarity. Clarity on the vision or mental travel or mental link sharing or whatever it was he shared with that Other. The Other had so much power, he had to know. After that, he had to incorporate whatever he held into himself. An arms dealer was nice to get, but something bigger was afoot. If he could find an arms dealer or weapons cache, that would be a bonus.

"What happen and are you still functional? Do you recall how we came to be here?", inquires Diego of Iona. Diegos eyes scanned for any signs of being watched like camera, ways out of the vat, or impending attack.
Last edited by mrdent12 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:You are standing at the bottom of an empty container. Diego and Iona are the only occupants. It looks like something tore it's way into the side of the container. Then dug a really deep, narrow, hole in the ground.

Diego does not feel complete. It's like he's holding part of himself in his hand. There is still a sense of the piece not being where it is supposed to be. Just holding it isn't enough for things to feel right.

Diego doesn't feel the presence of the Other as strongly as he had previously. It is back to being something distant. Hidden behind a door in his mind somewhere. But the experience felt real. Like it actually happened to him.

Diego feels like he has received an electrical shock recently.

Iona looks worse off than the last time he saw her.

Everything Iona experienced felt real to her. The after effects still feel real. Iona feels like she's been mauled by a big cat and burned alive. She remembers what it was like to die when Imperator annihilated the village.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona stands still, trying to make sense of her mission considering her recent experiences. Her assumptions about the assignment are shaken to say the least. Now it appears that she is dealing with some power that is quite formidable.

Her eyes shift to Diego for a moment as she watches him. He appearing to clutch something in his hands. Though what it is, Iona cannot tell. After a moment, she begins to move forward slowly, walking up beside her teammate. Her own internal damage sensors inform her of the various structural degradations she has endured thus far. Without knowing what lies further ahead, she is quite wary of proceeding given the power that seems to be opposed to them.

She stops only for a second to look at Diego to assess if he is in condition to proceed. “Are you capable of continuing, Ascendant? That blast was substantial. How is it you are not harmed?" Unfortunately, Iona cannot easily help Diego -given his alien physiology – even if he is wounded. After waiting a moment for him to respond, she steps forward and looks at the “deep, narrow hole in the ground”. She squats closer to it to get as good a view as possible.
OOC: Here's Iona's Perception roll to look down into the hole: Perception roll inside the Vat: 1d20+10 14. So, a total of 14.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Iona peers down into the narrow, deep, hole. She sees various lays of materials that hand been burrowed through: the container you stand in, flooring, the building's foundation, dirt, cement, metal piping, then a space of open air damp air, followed by more cement. Then some manner of metallic container with electronic components that are sparking. It is at this point that Iona recalls seeing some patches of dirt along Diego's arm. The one supporting the oily black heart.

While Iona investigates the hole you hear clanging from the walkway above the container. Looking up you see a well muscled man with black combat good, dark grey jeans and a black tank top that exposes his tan skin and Aztec themed body armor. Colorful tattoos depicting jaguars and priests conducting bloody sacrifices. More striking, is his head. It isn't human. It is the spotted, yellow furred head of a jaguar. When he speaks, his voice is human, accented, and the words are uttered in Spanish.

"That was quite an experience."

A nod come from the jaguar-man's head, nodding at the pumping oiling black heart in Diego's hand.

"I've been looking for that the past month. Who is it that I have to think for finding it for me ... and what are the two of you?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
Form: Liquid

Iona felt the blast of his mindscape, so was she sucked in somehow? Diego would need to ponder that question later as well. The questions were piling up, but time was of the essence now. He was about to respond with Iona asking about her recollection, again, but the werejaguar stepped in with some stupid remarks first. Fatally stupid if the talk went a certain way.

"You have no one to thank.", bluntly starts Diego. His voice was modulated as not to be aggressive or passive. Merely matter of fact like. "I appreciate your efforts in searching for the object for me, but it seems I could not wait any longer. Your security on the site could also use some improvement.", replies Diego. His black fluidic body is semi humanoid, but is still in constant motion as if liquid captured in a solid container. It moves in such a fashion to evade most body language reading techniques. Almost alien.

Continuing to talk, Diego didn't skip a beat. "What we are is immaterial here. I am sure we could have a long chat on the topic of our mutual appearance deviations from a normal human. As it stands though there is 21 dead guards you likely want to get to before they rot and one man who will be useless to you that I'd advise you kill. We likewise have other pressing priorities such as finding an arms dealer you ambushed.", responds Diego.

Based on the language the man used, it was clear they wouldn't leave here without a fight. Diego was poised to give one to protect the heart. He needed it. His being called to be united with it. That didn't mean he wouldn't try to get as much information as he could first and maybe leave without a fight.
Expertise Hadron City 23 in case this particular location rings any bells based on prior knowledge, what he got from his research before the trip, and now what he knows of the site.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"No one? Nobody. Then I will call you Odysseus."

The Jaguar-man states in response to Diego's refusal to offer a name for either himself or his bloodied companion. The name he gave Diego seemed to amuse him. Later when Diego talks about the twenty heartily armed gang bangers and the explosive traps they faced as being poor security measures the Jaguar-man gave a click of his tongue, creating tch sound.

"Of course. Everyone should know to prepare precautions for shapeshifting shadow people and lightning throwing women."

His gave lingers on Diego as the Ascendant talks of the people they killed, and the arms dealer they were after. There is a prolonged silence from the tattooed man, then he looks to Iona, addressing her in English.

"I have seen you on the news, killing police, and Stronghold. It is spectacular what you can do. What do you call yourself?"
OOC wrote:Diego is able to recall that this site was used for to create construction materials for post-modern urban development taking place in Ward 23. The Ward that the Jaguars control.
Supernaturalist

Iona
"I have seen you on the news, killing police, and Stronghold. It is spectacular what you can do. What do you call yourself?"
Looking worse for wear, the cyborg looks up to the Jaguar-Man. "I chose the name "Iona" to call myself." Though her outward visage has been greatly marred, her soft, harmonic voice is still beautiful to the ear.

"But you have me at a disadvantage. You know my name and I don't know you. Who are you and what is the purpose of this place?"

While Iona speaks to the figure above her, her eyes wander about looking for signs of any other personnel that might be lurking above and around the large container. Her ears are also keen to frequencies just above the normal range of human hearing as she listens for any sounds that might be of interest.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Iona gave her name. If it was a negotiation, Diego wouldn't mind. This was a force who thought he owned the black oily heart that belonged to Diego. "I can guess it's name. Polyphemus.", remarks Diego. If a faceless blob of liquid could smirk, Diego would for effect. As it was though the liquid facade kept shifting as liquid does.

Adding to Ionas query, Diego adds one of his own. "Would this facility be housing the arms dealer we are looking for? He would be dealing weapons without your masters approval my sources say.", inquires Diego. he wasn't expecting an answer, not right away. The answer would come one way or another. If the Jaguars had gone to the trouble of mutating one of their own, he likely would have more knowledge than others.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

While Diego shoots a verbal jab at the Latino, the man's attention remains on the battered feminine frame of Iona.

"Iona. Lovely. I am Romper."

The name sounded like a growl. Grrrompair. Diego knew that the name was Spanish, and that it meant 'sunder, break, shatter'. Given the Jaguar-Man's formidable physique, it was easy to suspect he could do a a lot of breaking and shattering.

"It is good meeting you Iona. When you grow tired of this one's company, please do seek me out."

Without looking at Diego he gestures to the black mass of liquid that was the Ascendant of Deception. With, without addressing Diego directly, as Romper seems to speak to Iona, he offers something of a response to the questions aimed at him from both parties.

"I have no further need of this hovel. You are welcome to seek answers to your questions ... if you survive."

In a flash Romper reached behind his back, drew forth a cylindrical device, and dropped it down into the container. Down it fell. At about head height with Diego and Iona a head splitting sonic shriek went of as the cylinder exploded. Vision blurs as disorientation and pain wrack the pain. Then darkness consumes them.

When the pair finally recover from the sudden assault black smoke is filling the air, carrying with it an acrid chemical odder. Fortunately neither Iona nor Diego need to breath. The Ascendant quickly discovers that he no longer hold the black heart, and it is nowhere to be seen.
OOC wrote:For Romper knocking you out and stealing the Heart, you both get 1 HP.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2

Every faction was getting people with enhanced abilities. Diego wondered what Stronghold was hiding, but he wondered what most factions and people were hiding in general. Part of the whole spy thing. Wondering about information also was lower on the list given the severe shock to his auditory system and futile attempt to gas them. "Romper is a loose end that will need to be dealt with in time. Once I get the heart back.", remarked Diego. His mind seethed with a rare burst of anger, longing, and having his near completion ripped from him.

"I fear I have underestimated the Jaguars and won't make the same mistake again. This base likely won't have the person we seek, but to leave empty handed will be a waste with nothing to show for our efforts. Are you able to continue?", inquires Diego. Ionas answer was only relevant to her really. Diego was going to keep looking. Even a sign of where the weapons dealer maybe would give some returns. Back at the base, when he would request an audience with Praetor Null for information on the visions and the heart, he wanted to have something to show as advancement of the base.

Diego scanned the area for any path to head down to keep looking. It seemed the base was a front to dig for the heart, so it might hold some information. Getting the heart back now was a fools errand. Romper was likely long gone. He still couldn't help, but feel an urge to give up on the base and go for the heart with no information. It was a strange feeling. it was a feeling all the same.
Perception 25, I had a +13 instead of a +11 on the roll.
Insight 13
Supernaturalist

Iona

Upon regaining her senses from the auditory and visual overloads, Iona hears Diego's words: "Are you able to continue?"

"Yes, Ascendant.", she responds in calm voice. "Our mission here is not complete. We should make every effort to search the remaining facility for signs of the weapons dealer. Perhaps we can salvage some small value for our efforts."

As she watches the black smore spread, she looks about for avenues of escape. "This chemical vapor may not harm us, but it is not worth staying here to scientifically test that possibility. Lead on! I shall follow you."
Edit: Here is Iona's Insight Check: Insight Check at the Jaguar Facility: 1d20+10 27. So, a 27.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

You exit through the hole in the container and find that you are in a charge chamber occupied by multiple containers, with rigging setup for loading, mixing, and out loading materials. Over head are a series of walkways and built in lift systems. The majority of the machinery is damaged beyond repair, with the ceiling caving in in areas. Overhead walkways, machinery, and giant mixing containers are visibly crushed under the weight of rubble from above.

You leave the mixing chamber and enter a hallway. There isn't much to distinguish the hallway from the previous one you explored. Just as before, there is a scarcity of labeling over doorways to indicate what lies beyond. However, Diego notes that in one directions the dark, chemical-smoke, is thicker in one direction, and in another it starts to thin out. In the direction that the smoke thicken Diego hears, very faintly, some shouting.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

As the two departed from the mixing vat, Diego can't help but note to himself how useful a facility like this would have been to their efforts. A little clean up and it could be producing material for all sorts of things. They might have had to clear out some Jaguars, but that would have just sped up the
recent battles timeline. "Your master may repair you for any damage. My master has seen to it I won't need repair through any means known to those less than him.", remarks Diego. if John was here, he would have had to explain quite a bit to Chen.

Exploring the base for their original purpose, one Diego did out of a consolation prize at this point, he can't help note all the space. It would have served well as another base of operations. Now, it was comprised location wise by the Jaguars. With each corridor a the next, Diego nearly gave up until he heard the cry down a hallway. Whoever was there would not last long. Diego hurried towards the voice as quick as his liquid form could handle only transitioning to his native form if time sounded like it was running short. "This way.", he commands to Iona. Her medical skills would likely come in handy to help the person survive. That was if he was the dealer they were seeking.

Once close enough, he would shift back into his liquid form to explore further for where the sound might be coming.
Perception 16 for pinpointing the voice and looking for any cameras, dangers, etc.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona wonders to herself about the object Diego held in his hand, the one now in the possession of the Jaguar-Man. What was it? What was it doing here? She leaves the vat slowly her curious mind enthralled at what this facility might have made and what it could make if reconstituted in the future.

Her quiet observations are interrupted when Diego commands Iona to follow him as he rushes off down the hallway. Trusting his judgement, she suspends her curiosity and hurries off after him.
OOC: I’m not sure how fast Diego is moving, but she’ll use her magnetic levitation power to fly if that’s necessary to match his speed.