For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Jaguar Hunt

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

John hears the Ascendant's voice, even if he cannot see him. The roads into the next part of the ward surprises the soldier by getting more and more cluttered with rubble.
OOC: Here's John's Dodge Check: Supernaturalist: D20 + 8 → 18(10 + 8). So, an 18. He's ok...for now.
Unable to see well at all, John resists Iona's attempts to lead him faster then he can safely proceed. Though it slows the group down, he is careful to avoid injury. A lot of good I'm doing here. If there's anybody out there with night-vision gear, I'm a sitting duck. Of course, if someone in this !@#$hole part of town has night-vision gear, I suppose we can conclude there's something important here.

John tries to remember if he's ever been in this part of town, back when he was fighting from street to street and ambush to ambush.
OOC: Did John do any fighting in this part of the city? If so, can he recall anything about it? I'll include a roll just in case: Supernaturalist: D20 + 6 → 8(2 + 6). A total of 8. Probably not gonna get anything with that roll.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 2
VP: 1
Cnd: Dazed; -1 to Damage Checks
EP:3

John's inability to see well demands a substantial amount of Iona's attention as she leads him through the dark streets of the ward.
OOC: Here's Iona's Dodge roll: Supernaturalist: D20 + 8 → 10(2 + 8). So, a 10. She failed. Here's a her Toughness check: Supernaturalist: D20 + 12 → 15(3 + 12). So, a 15. I believe that's just barely 2 degrees of failure. So, she's Dazed and has -1 to future Damage checks. She gains a HP.
Slipping on the loose rubble, her leg falls into a small sinkhole in the street. Rolling her ankle and incurring some very minor damage. She lets go of John so as not to drag him to the ground with her. Regaining her balance finally, she scolds her self for not paying enough attention to the road.

"I'm alright. Just some very minor damage. I've gotten used to such things lately." Her soft voice belying the irritation she feels.

Her eyes refocus on the road ahead and she refers to her infravision intermittently to look for people, animals, or signs of a utilized structure.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

John was there when Praetor Null and Dr. Impossible fought in Ward 3. His squad had just moved into the area when a sudden, frantic, order to retreat was given. There was an explosion in the sky, and he woke up a day later in a hospital bed. Details beyond that are foggy, as though part of him is fighting to not remember something traumatizing.
OOC wrote:... if you want John to have a horrible flashback that leaves him mentally Impaired for the scene, I'll give you 1 HP. This is a voluntary one shot Complication. To top it off, I'll give you a little bit of information as a bonus.
As you walk down the street Diego survey the wreckage. One mound of rubble draws his attention. In front of it, resting against the side of the mound facing the street, there is a sheet of rusted metal that looks out of place amidst the concrete and rebar. In front of it, a couple meters away, is a metal trash can fire. Two men stand at it warming their hands. They aren't well dressed, but they are better dressed than the homeless in he area. Each of the two Latino me have some degree of yellow and black worked into their attire. They way they are position, it looks as though they're blocking the sheet of metal. Like guards at a door.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Haunted
Form: Solid

Noting the probably entrance to an underground facility Diego was careful not to just rush in. His native form would allow a degree of freedom of movement, but he wasn't alone and it had been made clear he was on the hook for Iona. John was forced on him as a punishment before as the eyes of another Ascendant to keep tabs. It would look bad to lose John who was exposed in the current conditions. [ color=#008000]"The two men by the fire look like possible guards. Their ethnicity and colours would indicate possible Jaguar affiliation. They seem to be watching a rusted piece of metal."[/color], begins Diego.

Iona's knowledge of tactics was miniscule and based how she fought to have an infirm man die worse than he would have putting a mission at risk didn't instill much confidence in Diego. John on the other hand may have some insights. "If they are guards, the only past them is taking them out. I might be able to sneak into whatever might be under the pieces of metal if anything, but with all the light I am not sure how long I won't be taken as just another shadow. I can possibly take out both as well, but if I miss an extra conventional attack might be helpful.", says Diego. He points to where the "guards" are and the possible entrance to somewhere.

While giving John a chance to respond, Diego looks around again for any possible signs of camera equipment, motion detectors, or security systems.
Perception 20 if Diego might see something not covered by the previous rolls.
Supernaturalist

Iona

With her keen nightvision, Iona spots the two guards up ahead in the ditance. Her eyes scan the area around them for other people and for metal shapes that look like cameras.
OOC: Iona would like to look for surface metal that appears to be in the shape of metal that could reasonable be a camera. Odd, contorted peices of rebar or steel girders won't alert her, but box or domed shaped pieces of metal will. Here's the Perception roll: Supernaturalist: D20 + 10 → 28(18 + 10). So, a total of 28.
Keeping her voice low, she whispers to Diego. "I'm confident you can take them, but I'm sure that John could lend you the backup you need as a failsafe." She stops surveying the area only long enough to glance at John. Noticing a look of consterantion on his face, the young cyborg places her hand on his arm. "Something wrong?"

When he doesn't immediately answer, waves hand in front of his face and speaks to him more formally. "Warrant Officer Steiner, are you ok?"
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:2
Cnd: Impaired

Even in the dark, John recognizes this part of the city. Though it looks like much of the rest of Hadron city, it is a unique feature of the area that jars John's memory. Though he did not see it at first due to the poor lighting, the soldier fully realizes a unique landmark only as he walks right upon it.
A roundabout with 4 partially destroyed monuments commemorating Imperators leadership are here. Though they are barely recognizable, a portion of the base of each statue still stands. As he gazes at each one, the memories of "that day" come rushing back and Iona's attepmts to get his attention fall on deaf ears...

The haze of smoke was in the air. My whole company was deployed along this road to prevent the advance of Stronghold forces deeper into the city. We had just began to set up a hasty ambush when my radio operator began screaming that regimental command had just ordered an emergency withdrawl from the area. I could hardly beleive it. And though he countinued to repeat the orders forcably, I found myself unwilling at first to take him seriously. But my indecision did not last long. When I looked up to see Praetor Null and Dr. Impossible in a death struggle just above my position, I knew my platoon was in danger. I echoed the orders of the radioman as I turned to run, but it was too late...
OOC: I have adusted John's condition and HPs.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego and Iona look intently at the two men at the fire, and the surroundings. Iona detects plenty of metal protruding from the rubble mound, but her eyes confirm it is all common to structural reinforcement. Both observers note that there are no upright power lines ... anywhere. They haven't seen any in the entire Ward from the day they set foot in it.

After a couple minutes of observation you note that one of the men is looking at your group. Watching you. When you become aware of this, he nudges his companion and draws attention to you with a gesture from his right hand.
OOC wrote:Diego doesn't see anything more than he had previously. Iona sees what Diego has, though if Diego hadn't pointed out the sheet of metal looked out of place, and that the men appear to be guarding it, she wouldn't have put it together so easily.
Supernaturalist wrote:Iona would like to look for surface metal that appears to be in the shape of metal that could reasonable be a camera.
You need an Acute sense to determine shape and color. Iona's Detect Magnetic Materials is Accurate, not Acute. You can still make a Perception check. It will use her other senses.

John will get 1 HP for the Interlude he went through as well. Forgot to mention that.
As John slips into the past, it is day time. Summer. It was hot and overhead there wasn't a cloud in the sky. At first. Back then the enemy was the US Army. Not Stronghold. That came later, after the war. Dr. Impossible in his gaudy blue and yellow one piece costume lead the attack with infantry and tanks at his back. Overhead and and miles into the horizon, fighter jets and the black aerial vehicles of Imperator's forces dueled for dominance of the sky.

Dr. Impossible knocked aircraft out of the sky with his fists. A human missile, plowing through titanium hulls. The debris rained down onto those below. He dove into the midst of armor an infantry, his landing like an explosive artillery shell. His hands tore through tanks and his smallest gestures broke bodies of grown men, sending they flying. Nothing hurt him. Nothing even slowed the man down.

Then the black clad, white masked Null appeared out of nowhere and the tide shifted. It was jarring to see the Praetor in the field. It was the first, and last time John saw them in battle. Remembering what Null did, exactly, is hard. Painful. There are flashes of holes in space. Black fog. Screaming faces wrapped around a limb like an octopus' tentacle. Dr. Impossible crashing through a building ... several buildings. There was blood and screams. Horrible screams. The world shook. Building fell around John as the order to withdraw was yelled through the radio.

His memory grows more foggy as he glimpse the sky. Someone is yelling not to look up. Praetor Null is over head. Dr. Impossible soaring towards him. There is a horrible creaking that rattles bones and ends in a explosive boom as a terrible rend appears above Null's raised hands. Space bent inwards to somewhere else. It was dark and cold. There was something there gripped at John's mind and threatened to crush it under the weight of it's unfathomable existence. It breathed onto the world and Dr. Impossible fell to the Earth a bloody mess ... and the rest of the Ward fell with him.

John fell. Blood in his eyes tinting his vision red. As he slipped from consciousness he saw the statues, the monument to Imperator, he saw past it the the building he was sent to secure against the coming attack. Ruins.

When he rouses from the flashback, John recognizes the location. It is the spot the Jaguars are guarding. During his mission briefing he had been informed it was producing the post-modern construction materials used for the development of Ward 23. The same materials Initium Novum Tower was built from.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Darkness and distance was their friend. Iona and John's disguise wouldn't hold up to a scrutinizing eye. It was a wonder they held up during the previous travels to this point. Realistically, sneaking up on them might have worked if just he went and rushed them, but risking exposure by any Jaguar cameras if they were there would only raise suspicions. Some harmless vagrants looking for a good place to rest and maybe a fire however wasn't that out of place.

"We get close enough, you two know what to do. Make it look human as possible. Keep your faces down or stick to the darker spots without looking too suspicious.", remarks Diego in low tones. John not responding bothered Diego. Chen assigned them a liability if this may happen again. Keeping up the vagrant posture, Diego waves his hand as if to say hi. Something friendly and that could be spun into future lies.

"Hola amigos!", says Diego hopefully loud enough to be heard.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona follows Diego's lead, guiding John forward through the poorly lit area. With her right hand around the soldiers arm, it looks as though she is leading someone who has a special need of some sort. Her left hand is inside her hoodie...gripping the supressed light pistol.

As she gets closer to the two gang-members, she keeps her eyes on John. He is acting very strange, and his present mannerisms are causing her concern. "Are you ready for this confrontation?", She whispers.
OOC: Is Iona still Dazed from her stumble in the rubble?
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:3
Cnd: Impaired
OOC: I have added the HP for John's Extended Interlude.
Though it is a day that John wishes he could forget, the memories come rushing back. What kind of people have I thrown my lot in with? It doesn't happen often. John rarely has moments when he reconsiders his decision to join The Cause. But now is one of those moments. His movements become a little more slow and measured, and Iona can feel that she almost has to drag him forward due to his relecutance.

But the lapse in conviction is not strong enough to cause a complete relapse. Though his steps forward are small, they are still....forward.

"I...I'm in." Is all he can manage to say. His hands are outside of his pockets, hoping to ease the minds of the two Jaguars as they approach. But though they are are not in his pockets they are near them. Inside his right pocket is his supressed pistol. Inside his left pocket, a recently sharpened combat knife. I'm in. What else can I do now?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Iona is no longer Dazed. The Dazed Condition would have worn off after one round of combat, or six seconds.
Diego's approach is met with furrowed brows and straightened postures from the two men. Making them appear displeased and on guard. One of them, a lighter skinned man with dark hair on his chin and a baseball cap on his head, moved his right hand towards his hip. The other, slight taller, and broader, speaks up in response to Diego's greeting. There is a warning in his tone and posture. The message in their posture is easy to see: you aren't welcome.

"Get lost."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego figured he'd push his luck a little and keep going. Before Stronghold started clearing the Ward it would have been sort of safe to pull a gun. Now, shooting someone wouldn't be exactly quiet, even in this area. "What was the amigo? I'm hard of hearing sometime. Just looking for a good fire and maybe a line on some good gear.", says Diego feigning being a druggie and hard of hearing complete with hand motions.

As he progressed, Diego kept his eyes towards the two men fully expecting one or both to pull a gun. Once the gun came out, than it would be decision time to fight or back away and try to take the men out stealthily.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Following about 20 feet behind Diego, Iona appears to lead John slightly by the arm. Not sure if John can clearly see the two gang-members in the poor light, the cyborg whispers softly as the two shuffle forward. One of them looks like he might be reaching for a weapon. Be ready! Bullets could start flying any moment.

All the while, her hand remains on her own concealed weapon, ready to draw and fire should hostilities break out.
Initiative roll for Iona: Supernaturalist: D20 + → 4(4 + 0). So, a 4.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:3
Cnd: Mentally Impaired

John hears Iona, but his mind is partially divided between the moment and the fateful events of that dark day back during the war. "Roger....that" he almost inaudibly replies.

But his own eyes stray from the two gangsters ahead, difficult as they are to see. Instead, he continues to scan all around the area as the memories of that day flood back clearer and clearer by the second. Intermittently he glances back ahead to Diego in front of him and the two thugs beyond.
Here's John's Initiative roll: Supernaturalist: D20 + 5 → 13(8 + 5). So, a 13.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Expecting a second warning from the hyper-violent gang would be expecting too much. Whether Diego was a hard of hearing homeless man, or a manipulative spy trying to slink within striking range, it didn't matter. He didn't leave. Each of the men drew a weapon from their hip. Hefty handguns slid into belts, not proper holsters, and partially hidden under low hanging shirt. They weren't quickdraw artist, but they were fast enough to beat most, as each man drew a one handed bead on their targets: Diego and Iona. In the near-dark, the muzzle flash from the handguns was noticeable, and the report loud. But neither Diego or Iona felt the bite of a bullet.
OOC wrote:The two Jaguar Thugs draw their guns. One fires at Diego. The other shoots at Iona. Both miss.

Everyone roll Initiative. If you roll 15, you will go before the 2 Jaguar Thugs. The Thugs are Minions.

John is Mentally Impaired, not Everything Impaired. Meaning only checks involving a mental task will receive -2. Initiative Won't be affected.