Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Grenzer

Re: Thorn (Rose Canton)

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 am
Sidney369 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:35 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:14 am

-Thorn is also the mother of Mayflower of the Force of July- a U.S. government-backed team that were disposed of by the Suicide Squad.
When was this revealed?
No idea- DC fans are lame and never made an equivalent to the Unofficial Appendix, lol. It’s mentioned on Wikipedia and Writeups.org: https://www.writeups.org/mayflower-forc ... dc-comics/
Writeups.org also warns the info is apocryphal, so it should be regarded as little more than a fan theory until something more substantial is found. I don't think Mayflower ever referenced her parentage in any of her appearances.
Jack of Spades

Re: Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Post by Jack of Spades »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:59 pm You forgot Hal's goto Complication. It hasn't been in play in recent years, but for decades *due to a necessary impurity Green Lantern's power ring is powerless over anything yellow.

This was such a thing for Hal that one began to suspect that Hal had tritanopia, or at least tritanomaly, (the two types of blue-yellow color blindness). Seriously, he would regularly try his ring against something yellow, have it fail, and then comment about the target being yellow* (which would be foot-noted about the weakness). He's then try something clever. But it was if he either couldn't see that the target was yellow, or he kept forgetting the weakness.
I'd sum it up this way:

Blockhead: Despite not being actually stupid, Hal can do incredibly dumb things at times simply by charging ahead and not thinking about basic, obvious things, most frequently forgetting the limitations of his ring. Once it smacks him in the head (usually literally), he will compensate.

Also, since Rebirth, the yellow weakness hasn't been a thing. Johns explained this way: To overcome the yellow weakness, you have to overcome fear. To overcome fear, you have to feel fear. So to bypass it, a GL has to find something that scares them and then overcome it. This was trivial for Kyle, who wasn't picked for his fearlessness. Hal and the others had to work at it, but once it was explained to them they managed it.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab’s Builds (Jade! Obsidian! Hal Jordan! Guy Gardner!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

Also, I may be the only one around here who actually likes the emotional spectrum (at least the original ROYGBIV one). The thing is, I think it's misnamed; it's a motivational spectrum, and I'm hard pressed to find a reason to do things that doesn't map onto it. I probably gave it way more serious thought than anyone at DC when I was running my Lanterns game. I'll save my rant about the Star Sapphires for when Jab gets to Carol though.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

What's almost never mentioned in Guy's histories is the fact that his personality changes after receiving two head injuries, not one. After he regained consciousness from being knocked out by Batman, he started to search for his ring, which Blue Beetle had tossed under a console. He grabbed a rodent by accident and bashed his head on the button of the console.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Re: Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:35 am
I'd sum it up this way:

Blockhead: Despite not being actually stupid, Hal can do incredibly dumb things at times simply by charging ahead and not thinking about basic, obvious things, most frequently forgetting the limitations of his ring. Once it smacks him in the head (usually literally), he will compensate.

Also, since Rebirth, the yellow weakness hasn't been a thing. Johns explained this way: To overcome the yellow weakness, you have to overcome fear. To overcome fear, you have to feel fear. So to bypass it, a GL has to find something that scares them and then overcome it. This was trivial for Kyle, who wasn't picked for his fearlessness. Hal and the others had to work at it, but once it was explained to them they managed it.
Yeah, I thought that's what it was. I forgot if it was universal to all GLs or just the best of the Corps, but the fact that the Sinestro Corps' beams are yellow has little effect on any GL- only their intimidation factor does (hence that being included in the Complications).
Grenzer wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:47 am Writeups.org also warns the info is apocryphal, so it should be regarded as little more than a fan theory until something more substantial is found. I don't think Mayflower ever referenced her parentage in any of her appearances.
*shrug* I've never read a comic with Thorn in my life, and the same is true of many DC characters, so online bios are really all I have to go on. So stuff like that can occasionally slip in, I guess.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jack of Spades wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:44 am Also, I may be the only one around here who actually likes the emotional spectrum (at least the original ROYGBIV one). The thing is, I think it's misnamed; it's a motivational spectrum, and I'm hard pressed to find a reason to do things that doesn't map onto it. I probably gave it way more serious thought than anyone at DC when I was running my Lanterns game. I'll save my rant about the Star Sapphires for when Jab gets to Carol though.
youre not I liked it too but i might eliminate a couple colors outside of green yellow red blue and star sapphires and orange
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:47 am
Jack of Spades wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:44 am Also, I may be the only one around here who actually likes the emotional spectrum (at least the original ROYGBIV one). The thing is, I think it's misnamed; it's a motivational spectrum, and I'm hard pressed to find a reason to do things that doesn't map onto it. I probably gave it way more serious thought than anyone at DC when I was running my Lanterns game. I'll save my rant about the Star Sapphires for when Jab gets to Carol though.
youre not I liked it too but i might eliminate a couple colors outside of green yellow red blue and star sapphires and orange
Count me as a fan of the original concept. Personally I think the only large groups should be the Green Lanterns & Sinestro Corps, with the Blue acting as support to the GLC & the Red Lanterns being much a smaller, but more powerful group (they should be able to challenge the likes of Hal, John & crew one on one with Atrocious being a few PLs higher where they have to team up to beat him). The Star Sapphires should be similar to the RLC in power level & size. Agent Orange (Larfreeze) can continue on as is while the Indigo Tribe can piss off.

Just my 2 cents.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Can we take a moment to appreciate the absurdity of Ice having 'thigh cheese'?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

John Stewart

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHN STEWART, GREEN LANTERN OF SECTOR 2814
Created By:
Dennis O'Neil & Neal Adams
First Appearance: Green Lantern #87 (Dec. 1971)
Role: Angry Black Man (early on), The Marine (later)
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, The Green Lantern Corps.
PL 13 (234)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Marine) 7 (+11)
Expertise (Architecture) 7 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blast) 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 7, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Aim, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Oan Green Lantern Ring" (Flaws: Removable) [115]
(Feats: Restricted- Overcomes Great Fear, Unbreakable)

Create 15 (Feats: Precise, Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 13, Movable 12) (57) -- (81)
  • Dynamic AE: Blast 15 (Feats: Dynamic, Precise, Penetrating 8) (41)
  • Dynamic AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 5) (Extras: Multiattack) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 14 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (44)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) (38)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, 30ft. Burst, Ranged) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "Boosted Field" Force Field 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 15, Affects Others 12) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Flashlight" Environment 1 (Light) (Feats: Dynamic) (2)
  • Dynamic AE: "Ring Sensors" Senses 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Detect Energy & Life- Ranged 2 & Analytical, Communication Link- Central Power Battery) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Electronic) 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Green Lanterns Only after 3 ranks) (19)
Immunity 8 (Poison, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (8)
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18)
Movement 3 (Space Travel 2, Environmental Adaptation- Zero Gravity) (6)

"Standard Force Field" Force Field 6 (Extras: Impervious 7) (13)
"Universal Translator" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) (8)
Enhanced Advantages 5: Equipment 5- Green Lantern Database (5)
Features 2: Quick Change 2 (2)
-- (141 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +11 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Multi-Blast +11 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Area Blasts +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Snare +11 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Area Snare +12 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+11 Standard Field, +16 Full Field, +4-11 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +11

Complications:
Power Loss (Will)- Green Lantern Rings depend upon the Will of their wielder. If John fails a Will Save (such as from being intimidated or mentally-screwed with), he will drop Constructs and Force Fields.
Power Loss (Out of Energy)- Power Rings must be recharged via their Lanterns occasionally, and will run out of power after extended use.
Power Loss (High Levels of Power)- Green Lanterns must pass Will Saves to bring their power effects any higher than their natural Will Save +2 (in John's case, 13). This includes Blasts, Move Object & Force Fields.
Responsibility (The Green Lantern Corps)
Relationship (Katma Tui)- John and Katma were married- she was killed by a Star Sapphire.
Reputation (Destroyed Xanshi)- A mistake when John was younger resulted in the destruction of the planet Xanshi. Its sole survivor, Fatality, still occasionally hunts him for his part in this. This KEEPS GETTING BROUGHT UP, especially later on, when he has to mercy-kill Mogo to prevent the Corps from being destroyed.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 115 / Defenses: 18 (234)

DC's First Black Superhero:
-John Stewart debuted in 1971 as a possible foil for Hal, being his "Backup" Green Lantern (why do none of the other GLs have any backups, anyways? It always seems like they're rookies), and providing an excuse to deal with the issues of the day. It was Dennis O'Neil's run on the book, see- though it's always funny how "black people exist" becomes a political issue, much like "gay people exist"- O'Neil recounts saying that "we out to have a black GL, not because we're liberals, but because it just makes sense". So you dealt with racism, apartheid and various other social issues, using a pretty angry black man (which has since been looked back on as a bit of a negative, but considering before him there were pretty much NO black characters, having an "angry" one- which is hardly a completely-invented concept in the 1970s- is pretty good) as a character to represent a different point of view. This was WAY before "The hero is replaced by a black guy" became a cliche, too.

-Comics and other media of the 1970s would feature this kind of character a lot: an anti-authoritarian, angry black man with a chip on his shoulder- a way of being "in your face" with political issues of the day (very shortly after segregation ended in the Southern U.S., while integration proved difficult all over, with blacks often feeling stigmatized and victimized by aggressive police forces, and marginalized by even less-overt racism. In John's case, he was charged with helping Hal protect a racist politician- Hal objects to John's anti-authoritarian streak and finds him derelict in duty when he fails to stop a gunman from shooting at the intended victim (Hal has to save him while John was gone), it turns out that John was pursuing a man attempting to kill a cop, and that the politician had been staging the attempt on his life for political benefits. Hal thus withdraws his objection. John was a serious professional with a serious job (most of the early black heroes were given typically important, well-respected jobs- architect, teacher, royalty, etc.)- an architect.

John Stewart- Backup GL:
-John was off-and-on for a while, as Hal was always more important (though John was the sole Earth GL from 1984-86 when Hal dropped the job to date Carol Ferris), and he got some weird side-stories- he was trained by Katma Tui, and the two went on many adventures and eventually fell in love. He was the active Green Lantern during the Crisis on Infinite Earths, though he's mostly ignored after the initial couple issues (which start small and focused on a handful of guys). John and Katma were finally married when the GLC were stationed on Earth (only backdrop characters could marry at the time). However, she was very quickly killed off- murdered at the hands of an insane Star Sapphire, and John's ring was de-powered by Sinestro. He is falsely accused of killing Katma's slayer, then is tortured in Africa for weeks- a mental breakdown occurs that leads to a brawl with Hal after John frees people who turn out to be criminals and terrorists.

-John decides to travel to space, but he fails to prevent the destruction of the planet Xanshi, and has a further breakdown, putting him near suicide. Eventually, he found the inner strength to forgive himself, running the "Mosaic World" in a cult favorite (translation: poor selling) book Green Lantern: Mosaic (1992-93). The Guardians were so impressed by John's work he was made the first human Guardian of the Universe, and was given his wife back. Buuuuuuuuut when DC created the all-new Kyle Rayner as the sole Green Lantern in the universe, the existing Earthmen were all radically altered- Hal died and became The Spectre, Guy became a shapeshifting "Warrior", and John joined a replacement for the Corps in the Darkstars. The Central Power Battery on Oa was destroyed, and with it Katma disappeared once more.

John Stewart- Darkstar:
-John is brought in by the Controllers (descendants of the Guardians) to lead the Darkstars, a new interstellar peacekeeping force. He evacuated the "Mosaic" world from Oa when it was destroyed, and served with the Darkstars until he was crippled during the battle with Grayven that left many Darkstars dead (and largely wrote the group out of comics). He was un-crippled by Hal Jordan during one of his last deeds alive during 1996's Final Night, but was largely gone from comics until Rebirth.

John Stewart Returns:
-Again, John was a minor character, but then the Justice League cartoon had started, and they needed a black guy or else it would be a team full of white people (and a green dude), so John controversially became that show's full-time GL. This was a miraculous boon for the character, as they added a history with the U.S. Marine Corps, and made him the team's stick-in-the-mud military-esque guy. Of course, he was far more interesting in JL/JLU than he ever was in the comics (my opinion, of course), but he's back as a GL nowadays, as a "fourth man", being far less important than his buddies, but ended up doing most of the Justice League-related stuff in an homage to his cartoon work. This version of John went over so well that they clumsily retconned his Marine backstory into the comics version, despite not really jibing with his anti-authoritarian '70s origins. And unfortunately, one of John's best aspects in the cartoon, him being the stick in the mud with wild, passionate girlfriends in Hawkgirl and Vixen- a fan-favorite Love Triangle, was missing.

-John... doesn't really get up to that much cool stuff as a Lantern, as his personality is more set. "John the Guilty" is used a few times, as he has to deal with Fatality, a survivor of Xanshi, and then gets hunted by the Alpha Lanterns (Internal Affairs of the GLs, pretty much) when he kills a fellow GL to prevent him from giving the Oan security access codes under torture. The Alphas order his execution and hunt him down, but he makes one realize the error of their ways, and he self-destructs, killing the lot of them. John is also painfully reminded of the destruction of Xanshi more than once, as the planet and its populace is regenerated as part of the Black Lantern Corps, and John is later forced to mercy-kill Mogo when he's possessed by Krona. Now the killer of TWO worlds, John has to deal with that... except they kinda gloss him over and focus on the other three Earthmen Lanterns more, as far as I remember.

John's Powers:
-John is pretty much like Hal, but a bit lesser in a few ways. His Will Save is less impressive, and he has a slightly different (but still potent) skill set, and is more focused on ranged combat than Hal is. John has more Aiming Advantages, though (Precise, Ultimate Aim & Improved Aim)- in the comics, he's the "Sniper" of the Corps, able to use his Create Object power to boost some Improved Range onto his Blasts (a Distracting thing of course) by making an effective super-sniper scope. That kinda thing you just have to handwave sometimes in your games as John using his Marine skills & Aiming Advantages (and maybe spending an HP) to do something that most other GLs can't. John's also a bit more of a team player than Hal, who tends to fly off on his own alot. Notably, despite being a "Sniper", he's only +10 accuracy, because otherwise he'd be higher in PL than all his allies, which doesn't fit the comics- though being a Sniper really isn't the same as aiming in combat.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds (Obsidian! Hal Jordan! Guy Gardner! John Stewart!)

Post by Ken »

Ah. The second Green Lantern I met after Alan. JLA #110.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Jab’s Builds (Obsidian! Hal Jordan! Guy Gardner! John Stewart!)

Post by squirrelly-sama »

JLU John Stewart is always who I think about when I think Green Lantern in the same way I always imagine Wally when thinking of the Flash.
Skavenger

Re: The To-Do List

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:27 am
Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 am Okay, so here's a list of the builds I'll be doing:

GREEN LANTERNS: A whole hell of a lot of builds of guys with the same powers.

Hal, Kyle, Guy, John, Simon & Jessica (the Earth GLs)
Kilowog
Salaak
Tomar-Re & Tomar-Tu
Ch'p
Katma Tui
Arisia
Bzzd
Galius Zed
Hannu
Mogo
Sodam Yat
Charlie Vicker
The Green Man
Soranik Natu
G'nort
Boodikka
Baseline GLs (Elite, Moderate & Rookie)
Wait...NO B'OX?!?!?!? :shock:
“Thorpocalypse of Earth… you have great poopiness in your heart. Welcome to the Brown Lantern Corps!”

He can be in the template for all the Corps and you’ll like it :P
Starts to raise a hand to ask about Dkrtzy RRR.

Pauses to read the room.

Sits back down and shuts up.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Tattooedman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:44 am
catsi563 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:47 am
Count me as a fan of the original concept. Personally I think the only large groups should be the Green Lanterns & Sinestro Corps, with the Blue acting as support to the GLC & the Red Lanterns being much a smaller, but more powerful group (they should be able to challenge the likes of Hal, John & crew one on one with Atrocious being a few PLs higher where they have to team up to beat him). The Star Sapphires should be similar to the RLC in power level & size. Agent Orange (Larfreeze) can continue on as is while the Indigo Tribe can piss off.

Just my 2 cents.
Yep Im in full agreement the Indigo tribe is basically redundant as Compassion is built into hope and love greed essentially takes care of itself as larfreeze can become a one person corp and the reds and stars should be smaller but tougher because rage while its a temp fix can provide a BIG temp boost and LOVE has ALWAYS been one of the strongest powers in the comic universes
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Skavenger wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:27 am
Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 am

Wait...NO B'OX?!?!?!? :shock:
“Thorpocalypse of Earth… you have great poopiness in your heart. Welcome to the Brown Lantern Corps!”

He can be in the template for all the Corps and you’ll like it :P
Starts to raise a hand to ask about Dkrtzy RRR.

Pauses to read the room.

Sits back down and shuts up.
Ah, his bark is worse than his bite. I'm doubling down!

WE WANT ROT LOP FAN!!! :twisted:
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:50 pm
Ah, his bark is worse than his bite. I'm doubling down!

WE WANT ROT LOP FAN!!! :twisted:
If I remember he was on the template before.

"In loudest din or hush profound,

My ears catch evil's slightest sound.

Let those who toll out evil's knell

Beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!"