A Mix-And-Match Mage

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
ManOfLetters

A Mix-And-Match Mage

Post by ManOfLetters »

Working on a mystic character. Thing is, I’m trying to design them as more of a “mix-and-match” mage.

The idea being that if he “majored” in one specific type of magic, he’d be quite impressive. But he likes to “borrow” stuff from different styles/schools; a bit of voodoo here, Chaos magic there; basic elemental stuff; ooh, these Druidic rituals sound interesting! Etc.

I’ve thought of giving him a couple of mystical items with powers, but I also want him to have 5-6 “frequently used” spells. Recommendations?

(And he’s not a clueless/inept rookie hero; in comic time, he’s been in the game for about 3-4 years).
Davies

Re: A Mix-And-Match Mage

Post by Davies »

Magic Spells: Array (24 points)
* Basic Elemental Stuff: Ranged Damage 11, Variable 2 (elemental) - 24 points
* Hands of the Lwa: Perception Move Object 7, Precise, Subtle 2 - 1 point
* Druid Sense: Remote Sensing (auditory, visual, mental) 8, Medium (plants) - 1 point
* Chaotic Step: Extended Only Accurate Teleport 8 - 1 point
* Empathic Touch: Empathic Restorative Healing 12 - 1 point
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Typically it's okay to throw your attacks and your movement and your sensory effects and other utility effects (like Move Object) into a single array, as Davies has done excellently.

That leaves you with the defense, which would be a good place to go with those magical items you were considering. A magical ring or set of bracers or amulet of protection that provides either (Impervious) Protection or some Shield (or both!), can give you some defenses up to your PL, and keep them out of your magic array, so that you don't have to 'lower your shields' to 'fire phasers.'

While Davies has made a chaos magic teleport and a druid sensory effect and a voodoo-tied move object, you can obviously tweak them around, if say, you want a chaos magic attack spell (like the Scarlet Witch's 'hex bolts' that cause damage to the target by making random bad things happen to them, like cars hitting them or power lines falling on them or gas mains exploding beneath them), or a voodoo sensory effect (les invisibles whisper their secrets to you after scouting out the area you want to view), or a druidic form of transport (teleport through trees, or transform into a bird, or even be carried aloft on the winds, or transform into water and move through a river to a distant location along that river).

I like to have multiple attack options as a spellcaster. An entangling attack could be druidic and involve vines sprouting up and binding a foe. A dazzling/blinding effect could use necromancy and cause a person's eyes to be 'deadened' and turn black with white skulls for pupils, and those affected only see a bleak empty wasteland of mists, as if they had been partially transported to a desolate corner of the underworld. A stunning effect could be angelic theurgy and summon the image of a winged figure too bright to make out that smites the target with a fiery sword that does no physical damage (and isn't tangible in any event, just being a 'special effect' of the spell) and stuns the target.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

You might also want to take a look at variable descriptor for 1-2 pts. That would allow you to have things like having mechanically identical fire bolts, snow balls, chaos rays and eldritch smites.

Edit: Talk to your GM, they might allow modern day disposable equipment to be reflavored with a more fantasy element. A laser rifle becoming a blasting rod and the like. But that would also make the items have a lot less plot armor.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
ManOfLetters

Post by ManOfLetters »

These are great suggestions. As for magical tools, I didn’t wanna go overboard; my original idea was a utility belt with various trinkets, a la Hellboy. Instead, I limited myself to:

* A weapon (probably a sword; how original) that’s only harmful to mystical creatures.
* An amulet that lets him talk to the spirits of deceased mages for advice (much of them reaching Cowell/McHale-level snarkiness).
* Bracers that can form a temporary shield.

While he’s the token magic user on his team, he’s not really dressed like your typical master mage/sorcerer supreme. He’s more like Cole Cash with magic spells.