The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by Davies »

Well, like I said, the whole thing is basically an excuse to put Luke and Elsa on the Justice League.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I could picture a kid of there's. Imagine trying to change their diapers with both the Force AND Ice powers.....:lol:
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Sorry 'bout that, just feeling really old today. I realized earlier that my son is 20 years old and he doesn't feel he needs his Dad right now....:(
Davies

Post by Davies »

Varask
Worker
Warrior/ruler

A thousand years ago, the humans of Chirab began to explore their local region of space. The courses that might have taken them to Earth led through space occupied by the Varask Empire, a small multi-system hegemony ruled by the Varask, an insectoid species which had reduced the other species in their sphere of influence to abject slavery. Expansionistic in the extreme, the Varask viewed the Chiraben as their next potential conquest, and so began a lengthy war. Both sides viewed it as an existential struggle that could only be ended in the total defeat of the other, with annihilation or subjugation the fate of the defeated.

So it may come as something of a surprise to learn that it ended in a negotiated peace treaty, and an agreement that the Chiraben would not trespass on Varask space again in exchange for similar guarantees from the Varask. The humans directed their expansion spinward, away from that region, and so set themselves on the path towards the formation of the Imperium. Ironically, the war had done enough damage to the infrastructure of the Varask's empire that it collapsed a few generations after the war's end, but by that point the Chiraben had other concerns.

The apparent similarity of the Varask to insects led to some misunderstandings by Chiraben scholars, many of which persist to this day. There are four sorts of the Varask, initially (and incorrectly) viewed as subspecies. The most prevalent throughout any Varask hive will always be the 'workers', who are responsible for maintaining the hive's structure. Initially viewed as being more or less mindless, with all decisions made by the hive's brain (of which more later) this has since been proved incorrect. While they do lack much in the way of thinking ability, a Varask worker is born with all the knowledge they need to perform their assigned tasks, and are more than capable of maintaining -- or constructing! -- structures that function as starships if that is their function.

Less common, though typically consisting of between ten and fifteen per cent of the hive's population are the 'warriors', intended to defend the hive from attackers, and to expand the hive's territory. They are considerably stronger, faster, and more intelligent than workers, while no less single-minded in their pursuits, and were more than a match for experienced Chiraben soldiers, especially before the unusual energy-resistant properities of their physiology were discovered. Fully able to employ weapons manufactured by workers or salvaged from the enemy, they also employ a poisonous stinger against opponents.

The individuals known as 'knights' or 'myrmidons' were initially assumed to be experienced warriors who had been promoted for successful campaigns, operating as commanders chosen by the 'brains' (or 'queens'.) During the peace negotiations, the Varask representatives (themselves 'knights') finally made it clear to the Chiraben that the so-called 'brains' were nothing more than incubators for their young, and that they themselves were the rulers of their species. They also mocked the notion of themselves as 'queens', as the Varask have six distinct sexes, and egg-laying is not the exclusive purview of any of them.

In the thousand years since the downfall of the Varask Empire, there have been countless wars between the various planets, and the various hives on those planets, that once comprised it. Most Varask who have an opinion now believe that cooperation between hives is profoundly unnatural, especially on the scale typified by the Empire, and would have no interest in restoring it. Their relations with other species tend to be much more peaceful, and they are perfectly willing to trade for supplies rather than raiding and enslaving. In supreme irony, as Chirab itself has become a desert world, it has attracted Varask colonists who are often considered very good neighbors by the human settlements near their hives.

Varask Worker - PL 4/MR 4

Abilities:
STR
1 | STA 1 | AGL 2 | DEX 1 | FGT 3 | INT -2 | AWE 0 | PRE -1

Powers:
Bite: Strength-based Damage 1 - 1 point
Chitin: Protection 4 - 4 points
Four Legs: Speed 1 (4 MPH) - 1 point
Hive Mind: Area Mental Communication 3, Limited to Varask, Subtle; Enhanced Feat 2 (Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge) - 11 points
Resistant Physiology: Immunity 4 (cold, disease, heat, poison); Immunity 20 (energy damage), Limited to half effect - 14 points

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Skill Mastery (Technology), Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge.

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4), Perception 4 (+4), Technology 5 (+3).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Bite +3 (Close Damage 2)

Defense:
Dodge 3, Parry 3, Fortitude 3, Toughness 5, Will 2

Totals:
Abilities 14 + Powers 31 + Advantages 3 + Skills 6 + Defenses 5 = 59 points

Complications:
Loyalty to the Hive--Motivation.

Varask Warrior -- PL 7/MR 8

Abilities:
STR
3 | STA 2 | AGL 3 | DEX 1 | FGT 5 | INT 0 | AWE 1 | PRE 0

Powers:
Chitin: Protection 5 - 5 points
Claws: Strength-based Damage 1 - 1 point
Four Legs: Speed 3 (16 MPH) - 3 point
Hive Mind: Area Mental Communication 3, Limited to Varask, Subtle; Enhanced Feat 2 (Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge) - 10 points
Resistant Physiology: Immunity 4 (cold, disease, heat, poison); Immunity 20 (energy damage), Limited to half effect - 14 points
Stinger: Damage 5, Accurate, Secondary Effect, Alternate Resistance on Secondary Effect (Fortitude) - 14 points

Advantages:
Equipment 4, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge.

Equipment:
20 points as needed (often a Blaster Rifle [Ranged Damage 8].)

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+8), Expertise: Military 6 (+6), Perception 6 (+7), Stealth 7 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +6
Claw +5 (Close Damage 3)
Stinger +7 (Close Damage 5, Secondary Effect [Fortitude 5])

Defense:
Dodge 5, Parry 7, Fortitude 6, Toughness 7, Will 5

Totals:
Abilities 30 + Powers 47 + Advantages 12 + Skills 9 + Defenses 12 = 111 points

Complications:
Loyalty to the Hive--Motivation. Others as Needed.

Varask Ruler -- PL 11

Abilities:
STR
4 | STA 4 | AGL 4 | DEX 2 | FGT 11 | INT 3 | AWE 3 | PRE 3

Powers:
Chitin: Protection 7 - 7 points
Claws: Strength-based Damage 1 - 1 point
Four Legs: Speed 4 (30 MPH) - 4 point
Hive Mind: Area Mental Communication 3, Limited to Varask, Subtle; Enhanced Feat (Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge) - 11 points
Resistant Physiology: Immunity 4 (cold, disease, heat, poison); Immunity 20 (energy damage), Limited to half effect - 12 points
Stinger: Damage 7, Accurate, Secondary Effect, Alternate Resistance on Secondary Effect (Fortitude) - 19 points
Telepathy: Mental Communication 1, Two-Way; Comprehend Languages 3 ("speak" and understand all languages) - 15 points

Advantages:
Equipment 8, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Power Attack Ranged Attack 7, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge.

Equipment:
40 points as needed, often including an Autoblaster [Ranged Multiattack Damage 8]).

Skills:
Athletics 9 (+13), Expertise: Galactic 8 (+11), Insight 10 (+13), Perception 10 (+13), Persuasion 7 (+10), Stealth 9 (+13), Technology 9 (+12).

Offense:
Initiative +8
Claws +11 (Close Damage 5)
Stinger +13 (Close Damage 7, Secondary Effect [Fortitude 7])

Defense:
Dodge 9, Parry 11, Fortitude 9, Toughness 11, Will 11

Totals:
Abilities 68 + Powers 58 + Advantages 20 + Skills 31 + Defenses 18 = 195 points

Complications:
Loyalty to the Hive--Motivation. Dispassionate. Others as Needed.

Note: Varask Tenders (still called Queens by those who didn't get the memo) are essentially inanimate objects with Toughness 4 and no other game-relevant traits. However, every Varask in the hive will fight to the death to protect them.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Mahaq

Bouille, a small planet in a system not far from the border between the Crimson Imperium and the Yusei Star Kingdom, is the site of a major engineering project by the Imperial navy. A new shipyard is being constructed, with the goal of introducing a new class of Imperium starships to equal or even surpass the Technate's Declaration II heavy cruisers. The bulk of naval operations take place in orbit around the planet, with only a few expeditions descending to the planet's surface to evaluate its resource extraction potential.

This was determined to be minimal, less because of a lack of potential resources -- the planet has extensive hyperfuel deposits -- than because of the difficulty of extracting them. Bouille is home to a wide variety of dangerous megafauna and -flora, and the cost of guarding the mines and refineries would be very expensive. Nevertheless, a small outpost was set up on one of the planet's continents, and some preliminary explorations have discovered that Bouille is also home to a species of small fuzzy humanoids, deemed to be mostly harmless.

That is a serious misapprehension, as a number of Imperium explorers have learned to their misfortune. (Their commanders assume that they've suffered some misadventure that involves the planet's non-sapient ecology.) The Mahaq, as they call themselves, are much like terrestrial chimpanzees in that they possess much greater strength than their small stature would suggest, and are extraordinarily swift while moving through Bouille's rainforests. While equipped with stone and bone weapons, a hunting party of Mahaq are fully capable of bringing down a more numerous unit of naval troopers in full armor. Some of the bones that make up their weapons are of human origin.

In the course of their encounters with the Imperium, the Mahaq have acquired a small supply of advanced weaponry. They are reluctant to use such devices, less due to any cultural taboos than because they are well aware that these weapons tend to stop working at unexpected and often very inconvenient times. Some very careful scouting has revealed that the off-worlders tend to restore their weapons at their village (the outpost) and the elders are evaluating the potential risks and rewards of an expedition to see whether they can do the same for their salvaged weapons.

Prior to the arrival of the off-worlders, the Mahaq were divided into a number of small nations which regarded each other as competitors, often resulting in skirmishes between their hunting parties. The invasion has convinced them to adopt a truce, as all the Mahaq elders recognize that they are facing a potentially existential threat. This has been strongly encouraged by the species' small number of mystics, who practice a tradition similar to that of the Yusei, involving the propitiation of the natural forces of their home world.

Eventually, the Insurgency will learn about the shipyard being built above Bouille. Eventually, they'll want to take steps and travel there to implement them. When that happens, they might be able to make allies of the Mahaq, if they can convince them that they intend to leave them in peace after removing their mutual enemies. Or possibly they'll end up as the latest addition to their arsenal.

Mahaq Hunter - PL 7

Abilities:
STR
5 | STA 6 | AGL 3 | DEX 2 | FGT 4 | INT 1 | AWE 3 | PRE 1

Powers:
Night Sight: Senses 1 (low-light vision) - 1 point
Small Size: Permanent Shrinking 4 (-1 Strength, +2 Dodge, +2 Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation), Innate - 3 points
Very Mobile: Enhanced Advantage 2 (Improved Initiative 2); Leaping 3 (60 feet); Movement 2 (sure-footed, wall-crawling); Speed 4 (30 MPH) - 13 points

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Evasion 2, Equipment 2, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Move-by Action, Teamwork.

Equipment:
Net (Ranged Affliction 6 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile], Diminished Range 3, Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Quirk [must be recovered after each use]), Spear (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical)

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 4 (+9), Close Combat: Spear 2 (+6), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Survival 6 (+7), Insight 3 (+6), Intimidation 6 (+5), Perception 5 (+8), Ranged Combat: Net 4 (+6), Stealth 6 (+9).

Offense:
Initiative +11
Unarmed +4 (Close Damage 5)
Spear +6 (Close Damage 8)
Net +6 (Ranged Affliction 6, Resisted by Dodge)

Defense:
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 7, Toughness 8/6, Will 5.

Totals:
Abilities 50 + Powers 17 + Advantages 10 + Skills 25 + Defenses 4 = 106 points

Complications:
Survival--Motivation. Others as Needed.

Note: Mahaq mystics typically have PRE 3, Expertise: Magic +9, and Ritualist, but are often elders (STR 4, STA 5, AGL 2, FGT 3.) Some Mahaq have the advantage Trapsmith, which allows them to devise and construct traps using their Expertise: Survival skill.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

At least in this Universe, there's a reason the "Ewokes" are considered Dangerous(they over-played the "Cute Teddy Bear" aspect in the Movie, tbh.).
Davies

Post by Davies »

Vautaro

The Vautaro are, as far as is known, the sole sapient species native to the planet Hasham, the so-called planet of the mystics. Little is known of their history prior to their first contact with the Gebela. For that matter, little is known of their own history after that epochal event, as opposed to their impact on the history of the Imperium. The Vautaro have always been a species that could be considered humble or secretive, depending on one's perspective.

By the time of their first contact, the Vautaro were already a spacefaring species. Where the Seshai and Manguai had independently developed their warp drive, however, it's believed that the Vautaro acquired it from an unknown source. This can be substantiated by the lack of industry on Hasham -- not the removal of industry that occurred on Dhakam, but the absence of any signs of its presence. The Albadine are sometimes considered as a likely candidate to have been this source, though most historians believe that they only arrived in the Imperium long after this time. Those familiar with the Gardeners have often wondered whether there might have been a prehistoric connection between the two groups of mystics.

Regardless, the Vautaro had little interest in the commercial ambitions that drove their rivals, but were more interested in spreading their philosophical influence throughout the region. It should at this point be noted that both schools of mysticism, the Starlight and the Nightmare, have their origins with the Vautaro; at this point, those schools were closely allied. Followers of the Nightmare path acted as guardians, using fear as a weapon to drive away potential threats so that the followers of the Starlight path could engage in their contemplations in peace. The two paths would not diverge until shortly before the Imperium took form; in both cases, power corrupted them.

The corruption of the Starlight path was both subtle and insidious. When the Imperium formed, the mystics offered their assistance as bodyguards and advisers to the Senators, and many accepted. Advice took very little time to become undue influence, and the extent of that influence was exposed during the Schism Wars. Not only were they no longer as fully trusted by their charges as they'd once been, they no longer fully trusted themselves. Despite their victory over the technomancers, most of the mystics were not quite so consequentialist as to be blind to the havoc that had come along with it.

The Vautaro, who remained the heart of the mystics, were particularly ill at ease with what they'd become. In the last century and a half of the old Imperium, only a handful of them left Hasham to engage with the larger universe. The death of their greatest teacher during the rise of the Crimson King further convinced them to withdraw the mystical order back to its birthplace, officially disowning all those who chose to remain and fight. In the decades since, some of the younger Vautaro (those born since the Schism Wars) have questioned this decision, but as yet, they have taken no known actions.

Vautaro Mystic -- PL 12

Abilities:
STR
-1 | STA 3 | AGL 4 | DEX 0 | FGT 7 | INT 3 | AWE 5 | PRE 3

Powers:
Bonded Laser Sword: Damage 6, Penetrating 6, Accurate 2; Easily Removable (-4 points) - 10 points
Draw On The Source: Impervious Will 12, Limited to mental effects; Regeneration 5 - 11 points
Long-Lived: Immunity 1 (aging) - 1 point
Sense The Source: Enhanced Defense 8 (Dodge 4, Parry 4); Senses 5 (Accurate, Acute, Ranged Danger Sense) - 13 points
Work With The Source: Array (36 points)
  • Feel The Cosmos: Remote Sensing 12 (all senses), Standard Action - 36 points
  • Mind Over Matter: Flight 2 (8 MPH); Perception Range Move Object 10, Subtle - 1 point
  • Telepathic Communication: Comprehend Languages 2; Mental Communication 2; Cumulative Mind Reading 8 - 1 point
  • Telepathic Suggestion: Perception Range Cumulative Affliction 12 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Hearing Dependent - 1 point
Small Size: Permanent Shrinking 4 (+2 Dodge, +2 Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation, -1 Strength), Innate - 3 points

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Trance, Ultimate Effort (Will checks), Uncanny Dodge.

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 7 (+6), Close Combat: Laser Sword 5 (+12), Expertise: Galactic 6 (+9), Insight 8 (+13), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+11), Persuasion 6 (+9), Stealth 4 (+10), Treatment 6 (+9).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Unarmed +7 (Close Damage -1)
Laser Sword +16 (Close Damage 6)

Defense:
Dodge 12/8, Parry 14/10, Fortitude 9, Toughness 8/3, Will 13.

Totals:
Abilities 44 + Powers 77 + Advantages 12 + Skills 29 + Defenses 17 = 179 points

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Unsure What That Responsibility Means.
Davies

Post by Davies »

And that's that for aliens. At least until Monday, when I come back with noteworthy alien planets. :) After that ... well, I'm scheduled to get my first vacc shot on the 8th, so I may take a week off to recover.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Davies wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:14 pm
You can tell the artists of the Star Wars comics only had a vague description of what Yoda would look like. He was even drawn as tiny, only standing as tall as Luke's shin.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sidney369 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:57 pm
You can tell the artists of the Star Wars comics only had a vague description of what Yoda would look like. He was even drawn as tiny, only standing as tall as Luke's shin.
Which is useful if you want something that's like Yoda but distinct from him.

Another early concept sketch that I might have used (had I not seen the one above as a child and remained fascinated by it forty-odd years later.)

Davies

Post by Davies »

And I just now realized -- between heroes, villains, and ambiguous types, I have at least one profile for every letter of the alphabet.

Pretty good for a year's work.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Dhakimat

It is taken for granted by scholars of the Crimson Imperium that the humanoid species native to Dhakimat was created from the same original stock as Chiraben humanity by some experimenter -- one of the Progenitors or their successors -- thousands of years ago. Suggesting this to a Dhakimite is a great way to provoke them to violence. It is almost an article of faith to them that their species naturally evolved in Dhakimat's environment and they have what they believe to be the fossil evidence to prove it. That they aren't biologically compatible with Chiraben proves something, but just what it proves remains a mystery for the ages.

The remarkable physical powers that the Dhakimites possess strongly influenced their cultural evolution. They never needed to develop weapons or armor to defend themselves against each other or Dhakimat's other species. Their settlements never had walls, since every one of them could easily fly over such obstructions. They never needed to tame other animals to put their strength to use for them, as they were the strongest animals on their planet. As they never grew ill and recovered quickly from what injuries they did suffer, medical treatment other than midwifery was unknown. Aside from their literacy, they could have been taken for a stone age culture when they were contacted by the Manguai, around nine hundred years* ago.

At that time, Dhakamite civilization was divided between two opposing ideologies, both of which centered around the philosophical question of how best to live one's life. One school, the Optimum, held that the ideal life could only be obtained through the pursuit of personal excellence, regardless of what that pursuit cost any other individual. The other, the Gnostium, held that the ideal life could only be obtained through peaceful contemplation -- though they were still willing to defend their right to do so with force. The followers of these two philosophies had already come to blows, and as both of them had adherents who developed their faculties above and beyond those of average Dhakimites, there was no way of telling which of them would have emerged victorious.

The Manguai observed this for an extended period, developing a plan that would allow them to profit from interactions with both of these movements. They first approached the leaders of the Gnostium and offered to do something about their Optimate rivals, as well as purchasing the mining rights to every other planet in Dhakimat's solar system in exchange for scientific and technological exchanges. Having done that, they contacted the Optimum and, describing the local cosmic region to them, persuaded them to enter into their service as mercenaries and pursue their ideal of personal power through conflict with the Manguai's enemies. Thus, the Gnostium were left on Dhakimat while the Optimum went to the stars.

This was a disaster. The Manguai had no way of knowing that the Dhakimites would lose their powers when removed from Dhakimat's solar system, and were frankly horrified by how easily their new super-soldiers proved to be no more effective than any other mercenaries in their service, and often much less for their lack of experience with technological warfare. Of the thousands of Optimates who went into space with their new patrons, less than a hundred survived to return to their home world, and then only after two decades* had passed. They returned to find that the Gnostics had established cities and industry on Dhakimite and were firmly in control of the planet, and in no mood to surrender it to their returned brethren. Necessarily, they submitted to their rule, though many of them swore that one day things would be different.

That 'one day' came some three hundred years* later. During a time of civil war among their patrons, the Dhakimites opportunistically conquered the various Manguai bases in their solar system, declaring their independence in the process. Having done so, they began planning to expand their own influence with a program of colonization. Aware of their limitations, they didn't send soldiers to seize territory, but instead dispatched scientists and explorers to find worlds where their powers might also flourish. In more than a century, they found a grand total of five such worlds within their reach -- Anacreon was the last, and the furthest from Dhakimat.

The limits of this colonial mission, the lack of profit that it demonstrated, and the foundation of the Imperium all put an end to the idea of a Dhakimite interstellar state. Negotiations of between the Imperium and the government of Dhakimat resulted in an arrangement by which their system would become a protectorate within the Imperium, neither taxed by nor represented within the Senate, and left to their own devices. The cost was the withdrawal of all of the colonies. Anacreon, beyond the Imperium's borders, ignored the order, as did one other colony within the Imperium which also declared its independence and was crushed in a costly war.

Since then, Dhakimat has largely done its best to ignore the universe beyond their sun's heliopause. All of its industry has been removed from the planet and shifted into enormous satellite factories (one of which can be seen in the image above) leaving the world divided among millions of family-run farm/ranches. Lest the impression be given that this is a bucolic existence, the planet is also subject to total panopticon surveillance, with any dissent firmly suppressed. The isolationist government maintains a conscription-based military whose sole purpose is to protect the solar system, though small numbers of 'advisers' are frequently sent to assist the Imperium at its request. This arrangement, begun under the Senatorial Imperium, continues under the rule of the Crimson King; he has no interest in doing anything which will make enemies of the Dhakimites. Yet.

Dhakimite super-soldiers are those individuals who have successfully undergone a training program that allows them the full use of their capabilities. Not all Dhakimites can complete this training, and it's all but unknown in current Dhakimite culutre for individuals outside the military to engage in it. Beyond those powers listed below, some trained Dhakimites can use sensory enhancement powers. In addition to all this, a small number of Dhakimites demonstrate talents that would be considered 'Hyperbrain' abilities in a human. Given the givens, it is probably very well for the people of Earth that the only member of this species who knows that this world would sustain their powers is increasingly disenchanted with her home world's government.

Dhakimite Soldier -- PL 7 / MR 8

Abilities:
STR
8 | STA 6 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 4 | INT 0 | AWE 1 | PRE 0

Powers:
Great Speed: Enhanced Advantages 8 (Close Attack 2, Improved Initiative 3, Interpose, Move-by Action); Enhanced Defense 8 (Dodge 4, Parry 4); Flight 6 (120 MPH), Aquatic; Quickness 6 - 35 points
Great Toughness: Immunity 10 (life support); Impervious Toughness 6; Regeneration 5 - 21 points

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Equipment 2, Improved Initiative 3, Interpose, Move-by Action.

Equipment:
Blaster Rifle (Ranged Damage 8), Commlink, and 3 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Expertise: Military 4 (+4), Perception 2 (+3), Ranged Combat: Blaster 4 (+5).

Offense:
Initiative +13
Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 8)
Blaster Rifle +5 (Ranged Damage 8)

Defense:
Dodge 8/4, Parry 8/4, Fortitude 7, Toughness 6, Will 6.

Totals:
Abilities 42 + Powers 56 + Advantages 2 + Skills 5 + Defenses 10 = 113 points

Complications:
Loyalty--Motivation. Power Loss/Weakness (loses all powers and becomes Strength and Stamina Disabled outside of Dhakimat-like environments.) Power Loss/Weakness (as above, when exposed to theonite.) Others as Needed.

Dhakimite Super-Soldier -- PL 10 / MR 10

Abilities:
STR 8 | STA 8 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 6 | INT 0 | AWE 1 | PRE 0

Powers:
Dhakimite Powers: Array (11 points)
  • Blast Vision: Ranged Damage 5, Precise - 11 point
  • Hyper-Speed: Enhanced Flight 5 - 1 point
  • Hyper-Strength: Enhanced Strength 4; Enhanced Strength 3, Limited to Lifting - 1 points
Great Speed: Enhanced Advantages 8 (Close Attack 2, Improved Initiative 3, Interpose, Move-by Action); Enhanced Defense 12 (Dodge 6, Parry 6); Flight 8 (500 MPH), Aquatic; Quickness 8 - 45 points
Great Toughness: Immunity 10 (life support); Impervious Toughness 8; Regeneration 5 - 23 points

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Improved Initiative 3, Interpose, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 4.

Skills:
Expertise: Military 6 (+6), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat: Blast Vision 4 (+5).

Offense:
Initiative +13
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 8)
Hyper-Strength +8 (Close Damage 12)
Blast Vision +9 (Close Damage 5)

Defense:
Dodge 10/4, Parry 12/6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 6.

Totals:
Abilities 50 + Powers 81 + Advantages 4 + Skills 7 + Defenses 8 = 150 points

Complications:
Loyalty OR Ambition--Motivation. Power Loss/Weakness (loses all powers and becomes Strength and Stamina Disabled outside of Dhakaimat-like environments). Power Loss/Weakness (as above, when exposed to theonite.) Others as Needed.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Muraddin

Muraddin, a planet orbiting the star known to Terran astronomers as Gliese 530, was first settled in 1823* by refugees from the Imperium. (Some archaeologists have found what they claim to be signs that the planet had been inhabited by unknown entities before that, and there is a persistent superstitious belief that the two polar regions of the planet are home to supernatural beings descended from them.) The planet was named for the Admiral who commanded the Armada which brought the refugees to this solar system, who died of old age mere moments after the fleet arrived in orbit around their new home.

Despite the two centuries* since the arrival and the foundation of the Technate, much of Muraddin remains unexplored. In large part this is explained by the fact that much of Muraddin is utterly hostile to human/humanoid life, and difficult to survey even through technological means. The planet is tidally locked, with one side constantly facing its sun and the other turned away into space, with a very narrow band (roughly six thousand kilometers wide) possessing a temperate climate range, with frequent storms. The planet has no seas or oceans, though it has lakes and rivers originating from the glaciers of the nightside. The dayside, of course, is a vast desert, with what is believed to be a volcanic region at its heart.

Despite these challenges, Muraddin's habitable zone is home to roughly two billion sapient beings, with dozens of very cosmopolitan cities. The largest of these, Hemexa, is also the capital of the Technate, home to its Minds and to the various branches of the government, including the Technate Space Agency. Hemexa is located fairly close to the dayside, and is constantly bathed in light not unlike that of the early morning on Earth; all residences have light proofing to allow their denizens to sleep during their sleep cycle, which can vary from household to household.

As the central planet of the Technate, Muraddin is under constant protection by the TSA's Homeworld Fleet, whose Admiral is the famous Commander Arlan Hayez, formerly of the TSV Adventure. Now in his sixties, and showing no interest in taking life-extension treatments, Commander Hayez is no longer the daring space captain of the Adventure's legendary voyages, two and a half decades ago. But he remains a cunning strategist and a canny diplomat, and takes the responsibility of guarding his homeworld seriously. Hayez is particularly concerned with the activities of the Dark Side (unlike most of his contemporaries) and maintains a correspondence with the leaders of the Last Men Standing.

While his relationship with her is strained at best, the Admiral continues to be impressed (though at times also bemused) by his daughter's accomplishments as the captain of the refitted Adventure. It is true that she achieved this position through her own efforts, without any nepotism on his part. It is also true that, in the last four years*, there have been a number of occasions where the Agency might have removed her from that post save for the Admiral's quiet advocacy ...

Commander Arlan Hayez -- PL 6

Abilities:
STR
0 | STA 1 | AGL 1 | DEX 2 | FGT 3 | INT 5 | AWE 3 | PRE 5

Powers:
Situational Awareness: Senses 1 (danger sense) - 1 point
Translator Implant: Comprehend Languages 2 - 6 points

Advantages:
Assessment, Benefit (Admiral of the Home Fleet), Connected, Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Equipment 5, Evasion, Inspire 2, Jack-of-all-trades, Leadership, Teamwork, Well-informed.

Equipment:
Commlink, Protective Uniform (Protection 4, Subtle), and 19 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+7), Deception 6 (+11), Expertise: Galactic 6 (+11), Expertise: Military 6 (+11), Expertise: Science 3 (+8), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 5 (+10), Perception 5 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+10), Ranged Combat: Blaster 5 (+7), Technology 4 (+9), Stealth 5 (+6), Vehicles 6 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +1
Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 0)

Defense:
Dodge 5, Parry 7, Fortitude 3, Toughness 5/1, Will 7

Totals:
Abilities 40 + Powers 7 + Advantages 17 + Skills 33 + Defenses 14 = 111 points

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Aging. Family (Ventura.) Friend (Otodevol.) Relationship (Deleh Massovy.)

As Captain of the TSA Adventure, he was PL 8; he had STR 2, STA 3, AGL 3, DEX 4, and FGT 5, but 2 ranks fewer in each of Deception, Intimidation and Persuasion, Athletics 6 (+8) instead, and Improved Initiative instead of Well-informed. He was also Fearless, but has learned better.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sezti

Sezti, a fairly typical Chirab-type planet orbiting a G-type star, was discovered by the Seshai relatively late in the pre-Imperium period, around five hundred years* ago. The Seshai had already encountered the Chiraben by this point, and weren't terribly surprised to encounter another group of their species living in pre-industrial conditions with the belief that this planet was and had always been their home world. What did surprise them was the discovery of a subculture present within every one of the cultures on Szeti -- the Chatpaura people.

'Chatpaura' is actually an exonym, and specifically refers only to one group of these supposedly immortal warriors. The Chatpaura Highlands were, at the time of Sezti's first contact, home to a fairly large collection of these people who had chosen to collaborate with each other in order to establish themselves as the region's rulers, openly flaunting their immunity to most lethal injuries. This was in noted contrast with most of the other immortals, who preferred to live hidden among the other nations on the planet, accumulating wealth and rarely coming into contact with one another outside of their periodic duels.

The major factor uniting the various immortals was a myth, existing alongside the religious beliefs of the mortals they lived among. The myth proclaimed that a being called the Great Mother had once lived among them and was responsible for their immortality. Before she departed -- to where, the myth does not say -- she promised that she would bestow a great prize upon the last survivor after all of them battled to the death. The exact nature of this prize is the subject of much speculation, but the most common belief is that it will confer actual godhood upon the victor of the last duel.

In the aftermath of first contact, a handful of these immortals took advantage of the Seshai's curiosity regarding the mechanics of their autoresuscitative abilities to leave their world behind and explore the greater galaxy. Some of these were individuals who had developed the belief that the Great Mother had been a space traveler herself and that they might find her and 'persuade' her to grant them the prize more early. Others had grown tired of the whole myth and sought anonymity elsewhere. By and large, however, most of the immortals were content to remain on Sezti and pursue their own goals; this notably included the Chatpaura association, which dissolved into infighting shortly after the formation of the Imperium.

By the time that happened, though, 'Chatpaura' had entered into the Seshai lexicon as a synonym for this particular branch of humanity. The immortals were confirmed to be of human ancestry and were able to produce offspring with other humans, but it was rare for their immortality to be present in these offspring. Thus, they had relatively little impact on the culture of the Imperium, being regarded as nearly legendary beings, especially as their immortality represented a riddle that Seshai medicine could not and has yet to fully resolve, despite centuries of effort. (Life extension technologies in use in both the Imperium and the Technate have their origins in studies of the phenomenon, however.)

Things began to change as the Crimson Imperium took form. The majority of the Chatpaura on Sezti, and many of those who had left their world behind, found it surprisingly easy to obtain aristocratic titles from the Crimson King. A few of them passed up this opportunity, either out of a lack of interest or moral repugnance for the situation, but these individuals tended to suffer unfortunate accidents. The survivors tended to be more opportunistic and consequently more willing to perform 'favors' for the Crimson King, especially when these 'favors' tended to make them even more wealthy.

The typical Chatpaura is an extremely jaded hedonist who only really comes alive during times of mortal combat with a comparable opponent. It's rare for them to have any real interest in the mayfly existences of other creatures; since their deaths are inevitable regardless of what a duellist might do, there's no real harm in hastening those deaths if it would benefit oneself. They also tend to be almost pathological liars. It is quite common for them to claim to be thousands of years old, often with dizzying precision about their age, despite the fact that there are very few Chatpaura who are more than a century old, and none whose existence predates the first Seshai contact.

Chatpaura Duelist -- PL 9
Art by Philipp Teichrieb

Abilities:
STR[/b] 4 | STA 5 | AGL 3 | DEX 0 | FGT 8 | INT 0 | AWE 3 | PRE 3

Powers:
Blood of Kings: Immortality 12 (minimum of 15 minutes), Limited (not if beheaded), Stamina Check Required (DC 14); Immunity 3 (aging, disease, poison); Regeneration 10 - 22 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Benefit 4 (multi-millionaire, status), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 2, Fearless, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Language 3 (many), Power Attack, Quick Draw, Takedown, Weapon Bind.

Equipment:
Sword (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical) and 6 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+10), Close Combat: Sword 3 (+11), Deception 5 (+8), Expertise: Galactic 9 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 7 (+10), Stealth 6 (+9).

Offense:
Initiative +7
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 4)
Sword +11 (Close Damage 7, Crit 19-20)

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7/5, Will 7.

Totals:
Abilities 52 + Powers 22 + Advantages 21 + Skills 21 + Defenses 13 = 129 points

Complications:
Ennui--Motivation. Honor (fight each other one on one, melee weapons only) OR Reputation (miserable craven wretch.) Others As Needed.