Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
SolarOracle

Centipeder

Post by SolarOracle »

Character artwork by Oohara Tetsuya

Centipeder

Identity: Moashi Juzo, Public Identity.
Height: 2.05 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: None.
Skin: Brown and black.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: Pro Hero, Centipeder Hero Agency (formerly Nighteye Hero Agency).
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo.

Power Level 8 - 91 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0/3*, Agility 2, Fighting 5, Awareness 1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 1, Intellect 2, Presence 1
*3 with quirk.

Powers
Quirk - Centipede

Elongation 3 (Quirk - Limbs only). [2]
Enhanced Strength 3. [6]

Super Move! - Centicoil: Enhanced Advantages 3 (Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Fast Grab). [3]

Venomous Bite: Strength-based Damage 1, linked to Affliction 6 (Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed). [7]

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Leadership, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 2
(+4 total).
Athletics 2 (+5 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10 total).
Deception 2 (+3 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 4 (+6 total).
Insight 2 (+3 total).
Investigation 2 (+4 total).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 2 (+3 total).
Treatment 2 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+10, close damage 3.
Venomous Bite +10, close damage 4, close affliction (Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed), Fortitude DC 16.

Defense
Dodge 10, Fortitude 8, Parry 12, Toughness 3/4*, Will 6
*4 with defensive roll.

Complications

Monstrous Appearance: Moashi`s mutant quirk gives him an arthropod-like appearance similar to that of a centipede, which probably makes it difficult for him to blend in with a crowd, and is something he could suffer prejudice for.

30 Abilities, 18 Powers, 6 Advantages, 12 Skills, 25 Defenses = 91 Character Points

About: Centipeder is a respectful and level-headed pro hero and former sidekick of Sir Nighteye, with hjim taking over thje agency after his old boss' passing, rebranding it to the Centipeder Hero Agency. His quirk, Centipede, gives him long centipede-like limbs, which he uses for combat by streching them like whips and using them to immobilize others. He also has a venomous bite and enhanced strength due to his quirk.

Centipeder first shows up during the Shie Hassaikai arc, being the more responsible and level-headed of the sidekicks working for Sir Nighteye. He joins thje rest of the agency as part of the raid team, showing his combat prowess by taking down many members of the Shie Hassaikai with his quirk, immobilizing them and using his long limbs for combat. Later, after the death of Sir Nighteye, he is seen in the hospital with Bubble Girl, another of Nighteye's sidekicks, comforting her after the death of their former boss and mentor. He then is promoted to a pro hero, becoming the new leader of the agency.

More interesting than his role in the story for me however is the fact that both Centipeder and Bubble Girl are characters that were designed by fans in a fan character contest, with both the winning entries becoming canonized. Centipeder was designed by Oohara Tetsuya, who seems to really like drawing arthroppodic humanoid characters. Fanmade characters entering the cast (and, in this case, even gaining quite a bit of prominence in the actual story) is something I wouldn't mind seeing more shonen manga doing (like, I do remember other manga I read having fan character contests and stuff, Naruto comes to mind, but having them actually join the cast of characters is really cool).

I really like the concept and personality of Centipeder, but something about his design bugs me (heh, bugs). I don't know, it might be because I was never really crazy about bugs and creepy crawlers and stuff, but his design never really resonated with me. He seems to very popular with the fanbase tho, with one of my friends even saying Centipeder is one of his favorite designs in the series so far.

His one named super move is called Centicoil, and is simply him using his long centipede limbs to grab and maintaion hold of multiple enemies.

Outfits: Centipeder's hero costume is similar to a buttler outfit, a black tuxedo with white gloves. He also wears a centipede-like scarf around his neck, giving the impression that his head is a coiled centipede.
SolarOracle

Re: Centipeder

Post by SolarOracle »

Also, here's some more of Oohara Tetsuya's amazing artwork for the character:

Link to it.
Link to it.
Link to it.
Davies

Re: Centipeder

Post by Davies »

SolarOracle wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:45 pm
More interesting than his role in the story for me however is the fact that both Centipeder and Bubble Girl are characters that were designed by fans in a fan character contest, with both the winning entries becoming canonized. Centipeder was designed by Oohara Tetsuya, who seems to really like drawing arthroppodic humanoid characters. Fanmade characters entering the cast (and, in this case, even gaining quite a bit of prominence in the actual story) is something I wouldn't mind seeing more shonen manga doing (like, I do remember other manga I read having fan character contests and stuff, Naruto comes to mind, but having them actually join the cast of characters is really cool).
It's also something that American comics used to do -- many of the characters that the 'Dial H For Heroes' characters could turn into were designs submitted by the readers. These days, I imagine that the process would probably be complicated by reprint rights, movie rights, and so on ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
KorokoMystia

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no Hero Academia Update

Post by KorokoMystia »

I recall a lot of the Kinnikuman characters were fan creaitons, too.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:35 pm I recall a lot of the Kinnikuman characters were fan creaitons, too.
Oh yeah! There were quite a few fan submissions for that. I mostly remember them from in between the chapters tho.
SolarOracle

X-Less

Post by SolarOracle »

Eye-Gun Hero: X-Less

Identity: Unknown.
Height: Unknown.
Eyes: Black, right eye has no pupil.
Hair: Unknown, light colored.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: Pro Hero.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 7 - 68 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 0
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Laser

Ranged Damage 4. [8]

Advantages
Close Attack, Defensive Roll. Improved Critical (Laser), Ranged Attack 3

Skills
Athletics 2
(+3 total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 4 (+4 total).
Insight 2 (+2 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Ranged Attack (Laser) 4 (+10 total).
Treatment 2 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+5, close damage 1.
Laser +10, ranged damage 4, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 10, Fortitude 6, Parry 7, Toughness 3/4*, Will 5
*4 with defensive roll.

Complications

One Side Only
: X-Less’ quirk can only be fired by his right eye, meaning that his left side is somewhat more vulnerable.

22 Abilities, 8 Powers, 6 Advantages, 11 Skills, 21 Defenses = 68 Character Points

About: X-Less was a pro hero who was seemingly cautious and serious. His quirk, Laser, allowed him to shoot an energy beam from his right eye.

X-Less first showed up as a backgrounder during the Hideout Raid arc, joining the rest of the pro heroes as they planned their assault into the base of the League of Villains. He shows up again during the events of the Paranormal Liberatyion Front arc, joining the heroes' assault team again, and being put in charge of guarding Shigaraki's unconscious body. Sadly for him tho, Shigaraki awakened with his evolved abilities a bit after X-Less was put in charge of watching over him, immediately disintegrating the pro hero with his improved Decay quirk, the first of his many victims during the arc.

X-Less has a cool design, it's a shame wqe didn't get to learn anything about him or seen more of what he could do. I like his quirk, kind of a more limited and interestinmmg take on the classic laser eyes super power.

Outfits: X-Less' hero outfit was a light-blue bodysuit with dark-blue details that covered the upper half of his face as well. A diagonal dark-blue line went over his right eye on his costume, indicating his laser eye. He also wore a pair of dark-blue gloves and a red cape.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I like X-Less' build and Costume(dislike the Cape, a Bomber Jacket would fit better imho). His Power is perfectly fine, if a little Weak.I'd make him PL 10 and jack the thing up if he was a Protag, give him a couple of AE's with it(Ranged Stun, Dazzle, or an Area effect shot could work beautifully) and Bob's your Uncle...
SolarOracle

Snatch

Post by SolarOracle »

Sand Hero: Snatch

Identity: Higawara Sajin, Public Identity.
Height: 1.80 meters.
Eyes: Turquoise.
Hair: Ash blonde.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Transformation.
Group: Pro hero, Japanese Police Force.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 9 (PL 10 Quirk) - 107 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3, Agility 2, Fighting 6, Awareness 2
Stamina 4, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Sandstorm

Insubstantial 1 (Particles) (Flaws: Limited to upper body). [4]
Protection 3. [3]
Sand Limbs: Elongation 2 (30 ft.) (Flaws: Limited to upper body). [1]

Sand Shield: Enhanced Dodge 3. [3]
Enhanced Parry 2. [2]

Sand Snatch: Affliction 8 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited degree). [16]

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold

Skills
Athletics 4
(+7 total).
Close Combat (Sandstorm) 3 (+12 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11 total).
Deception 2 (+3 total).
Expertise (Police Force) 6 (+6 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 4 (+4 total).
Insight 4 (+6 total).
Investigation 4 (+4 total).
Perception 4 (+6 total).
Persuasion 2 (+3 total).
Treatment 1 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed
+11, close damage 3.
Sand Snatch +12, close affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless), Dodge DC 18.

Defense
Dodge 8/11*, Fortitude 9, Parry 9/11*, Toughness 7, Will 6
*Dodge and Parry increased with Sand Shield.

Complications

Responsibility: Police Force Bodyguard
: Snatch works as a bodyguard for the Police Force, having to protect members of the force from possible villain attacks and help securing apprehended villains.

Weakness: Sand Form: Snatch’s quirk leaves him vulnerable to various forms of attacks, such as powerful winds that can blow away his granular form, flames and extreme heat that could possibly turn him into glass, or water attacks that could difficult the moving of his sand body parts. With that in mind, he takes a -2 penalty against attacks with those descriptors.

36 Abilities, 29 Powers, 6 Advantages, 18 Skills, 18 Defenses = 107 Character Points

About: Snatch was a serious, Battle-ready and seasoned pro hero who specialized in combat and worked alongside the Japanese Police Force, often working as a bodyguard to prisoners who were being transported. His unnamed quirk, which I took the liberty of calling Sandstorm,a s that is the name some of the fanbase uses for his quirk, allows him to turn his upper body into sand and move it at will, using that to restrict his oponents and to deliver powerful attacks, like shaping the sand as a huge lion as he attacks, and also used it defensively by creating a shield of sand in front of him.

Snatch showed up by the end of the Shie Hassaikai arc, acting as the bodyguard of the recently captured Overhaul, intercepting an attack by the league of villains made to retrieve Overhaul. Snatch was a formidable foe for the League, with his sand form making him immune to Shigaraki's Decay, and being able to block and trade powerful blows with the rest of the group. However, while he was blocking an attack by Dabi with his sand shield, Snatch was attacked by surprised by Mr. Compress who attacked his back, turning him into a marble and breaking it, killing the hero and allowing the league to retrieve Overhaul, taking the quirk removing bullets for themselves and removing his arms.

Something about Snatch really appeals to me, there's just something really cool about the way he fights with sand and his angried and serious expression when in battle, it's really a shame he died. His costume, with the green and white stripes, is most likely a reference to Marvel's Sandman, which is also a cool detail. Him dying does serve to illustrate how serious a threat the League of Villains is, since he was said to be a really capable hero, and to show that they are not kidding around, since they killed him and all. Still, wish we got to see more of him in action.

Only build comment I have is that I was originally gonna make his Snare attack a ranged effect, but since he already has elongation, and that he used his ability to restrict others with sand as a melee attack, that making it close range made more sense.

Outfits: Higawara's day-to-day clothing seems to be simple and casual, like a pair of jeans, a shirt with the top buttons unbuttoned and rolled up sleeves and a pair of boots, as well as wearing his hair in a ponytail. His hero costume is a blue mask that covers the upper half of his face and a green and white stripped vest, with him being shirtless underneath to be able to effectively use his quirk.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun May 09, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

And with that, we're finally done with all the main series pro heroes (at least the ones I could stat out)! I'll begin posting the sidekicks tomorrow.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 am I like X-Less' build and Costume(dislike the Cape, a Bomber Jacket would fit better imho). His Power is perfectly fine, if a little Weak.I'd make him PL 10 and jack the thing up if he was a Protag, give him a couple of AE's with it(Ranged Stun, Dazzle, or an Area effect shot could work beautifully) and Bob's your Uncle...
Yeah, laser eyes are a very versatile power, he could easily have had a few Super Moves and alternate effects he could do with that. Shame he died. : P
SolarOracle

Another Asortment of Non-Builded Characters

Post by SolarOracle »

I probably should make another one of these for the pro heroes I couldn't build for, like, consistency I guess. Anyway, here they are, with the reasons I felt like I couldn't build them:

Native

About: Native was a pro hero apparently themed after native American tribes, wearing a headband with a feather, facepaint and a tribal necklace. He was important during the Hero Killer arc, being the pro hero originally targeted by the Hero Killer Stain, who judged him unworthy of being a hero, but was rescued by Iida, Midoriya and Todoroki who took down the hero killer together. He was later killed by a group of nomu during the Paranormal Liberation Front arc, as he stood between them and Eraser Head so Aizawa was able to escape. I felt like I couldn't build him due to we not knowing anything about his quirk or his capabilities, but him dying in a heroic sacrifice is something that sort of makes me wish we could have learned more about him.

Buster Hero: Air Jet

About: Air Jet is a pro hero wityh an unnamed quirk that seems to allow him to shoot some kind of blast. He uses a jetpack support item to fly around and wears a very robotic hero costume. He doesn't show up during the story, only appearing in the first chapter being shown taking down a villain, but he is mentioned by Hatsume Mei and Midoriya during the Sports Festival arc, when she gives him a jetpack support item and Midoriya asks her if sahe was inspired by Air Jet, which she confirms. Air Jet seems like a relatively simple character to build from what we know of him, but since he hasn't even really showed up in the story and we don't know the exact workings of his quirk, I mdecided not to build him.

Kesagiri Man

About: Kesagiri Man is one of the heroes who was a backgrounder during the Shie Hassaikai arc, being part of Nighteye's raid team. He is shown to be very agile and fast, deflecting leaf projectiles from a member of the Shie Hassaikai, and rushing him down. Decided not to build this one due to him being a backgrounder and we not knowing anything about him other than the fact that he is fast.

Mr. Brave

About: Mr. Brave is a pro hero whose design always sort of reminded me of All Might. His quirk, Hair Raiser, allows him to freely manipulate his hair, even after being removed from his body, and even harden it, something he uses to create weaponry out of it. He shows up as a backgrounder during the Shie Hassaikai arc and during the Paranormal Liberation Front arc. I went back and forth about building him or not, but decided not to, since we don't really know enough about him or his quirk.

The Fly

About: The Fly si a pro hero whose costume is themed around flies. He shows up as a backgrounder during the Hero Killer arc, fighting off the nomu invading Hosu City with other heroes. Didn't build him because of him being a backgrounder we don't know anything about.

Baseball Hero: Slugger

About: Slugger is a pro hero themed around baseball. He shows up in the first chapter as one of the heroes trying to fight off the Sludge Villain, but failing to do so. Didn't build him due to we not knowing anything about him.

Takeshita

About: Takeshita is a pro hero whose costume seems to be themed around bamboo. He was an old school friend of the villain Gentle Criminal, and the trigger for Gentle Criminal to decide to become a villain, as he ran into Takeshita in the streets and the hero couldn't recognize him. It's uinknown what his hero name or abilities are, or even if he is even still active as a hero. Should be obvious why I didn't build him, LOL.

Chivalrous Hero: Crimson Riot

About: Crimson Riot is a pro hero and the main inspiration for Kirishima, as the young student gained the motivation he needed to pursue being a hero due to watching interviews with Crimson Riot, where he said that he still felt fear and insecurity, but that his view as a hero was that he needed to take action and stand in the frontline, due to an incident where his exitation lead to civilians dying. Kirishima's hero name of Red Riot is a homage to him. It's currently unknown what his quirk and capabilities were, or even if he's still active as a pro hero. Decided not to build him due to that.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Sidekicks

Post by SolarOracle »

OK, so let's talk a bit about what sidekicks are in the Boku no Hero Academia universe.

Unlike the meaning usually associated with the term in western comics and general superhero media, of a young apprentice for the hero who assists them in battle, in BnHA, the term is the name given to the helping staff who work under pro heroes in their agencies, usually having specialized quirks to be able to assist the pro hero in different scenarios.

Apparently, most sidekicks are aiming to one day become a pro hero themselves aand open their own agency or work independantly, with their time as a sidekick being more of a learning period where they can understand the pro scene, something that parallels the usual meaning of the term in an interesting way with a unique twist. However, it is also said that most sidekicks are unable to ever break out as pro heroes themselves, continuing as sidekicks presumably forever.

During the series, the main cast has worked on different hero agencies as sidekick interns, to be able to better understand the industry and prepare for their professional life, where they will presumably start out as sidekicks on pro hero agencies.
SolarOracle

Bubble Girl

Post by SolarOracle »

Character artwork by Abara Chiita
Fanart by Komugiko no Mori

Bubble Girl

Identity: Awata Kaoruko, Public Identity.
Height: 1.67 meters.
Eyes: Yellow.
Hair: Dark blue.
Skin: Light blue.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: Sidekick, Centipeder Hero Agency (Formerly Nighteye Hero Agency).
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo.

Power Level 6 - 53 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 5, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 1, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Bubble

Feature: User can create bubbles from their body that contain any fragrance they have smelled at least once. [1]

Blind With Bubbles: Affliction 4 (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware) (Extras: Alternate Resistance - Dodge, Cumulative) (Flaws: Inaccurate, Limited to visuals). [3]

Advantages
Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll, Improved Hold, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 2
(+2 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7 total).
Close Combat (Bubbles) 3 (+10 total).
Deception 2 (+3 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 2 (+2 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 2 (+3 total).
Treatment 1 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed
+7, close damage 0.
Bubbles +8, close affliction (Impaired/Disabled/Unaware), Dodge DC 14.

Defense
Dodge 6, Fortitude 5, Parry 8, Toughness 2/3*, Will 4
*3 with defensive roll.

Complications

Involuntary Power Activation: Panic: When panicked, Awata has the tendency of using her quirk to create bubbles that contain bad smells.

Ticklish: Awata is prone to fall into laughter when tickled.

20 Abilities, 4 Powers, 5 Advantages, 9 Skills, 15 Defenses = 53 Character Points

About: Bubble Girls is a blue-skinned cheerful though somewhat distracted person, prone to getting nervous easily. Despite this however, she's shown to do pretty well in tense situations, like combat. Her quirk, Bubble, allows her to create bubbles that contain any smell she has smelled at least once, something she uses in combat mostly to blind her opponents.

She's a semi-important character during the Shie Hassaikai arc, being one of the three sidekicks on Sir Nighteye's hero agency, along with Lemillion and Centipeder. There, she's shown to get nervous fairly easily, scared that Nighteye might fire her. She joins up with the raid team later on in the arc, using her quirk to combat members of the yakuza by blinding them with her bubbles and immobilizing them.

After Nighteye's death, she's shown to be in the hospital crying, being conforted by Centipeder. Afgter Centipeder takes over the agency, she continues to work there, becoming his sidekick.

Like with Centipeder tho, the more interesting aspect of her character for me is the fact that she was one of the winner entries in a fanart contest, being canonized as a chartacter, being originally drawn by Abara Chiita. Originally, she was drawn as a first year U.A. student, but was aged up slightly so she would be able to fit in the universe and appear in the story, being a novice sidekick at Nighteye's Agency at age 21.

Bubble Girl is a pretty popular character in the fanbase, due to her unique design and personality. Something about she being originally conceptualized as a U.A. student is pretty interesting to me, don't really know why. The "bubbles contain whatever smell she wants" aspect of her quirk never really played out in the story, I guess due to it not really being useful in combat, which I guess is pretty weird, since that seems like something they would bring up in the story at some point? I don't know.

Build-wise, made her PL 5.5 defensively with a PL 6 bubbles attack, since she seems to be capable enough in battle to take down yakuza members and be selected as part of the raid team.

Outfits: As a civilian, Awata seems to wear casual and comfortable clothing, like a black v-neck t-shirt, a pair of knee-length jeans and a pair of shoes. Her hero costume is a white and blue crop-top with a high collar, a pair of blue thights with a pair of white and yellow short shorts on top of it. She also wears a transparent respirator-like mask on her face, a pair of blue gloves and a pair of tall white and yellow oversized boots.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Re: Bubble Girl

Post by SolarOracle »

Also, here's some of Abara Chiita's great artwork for the character:

Link to it.
Link to it.
Link to it
Link to it.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

may want to throw a complication ticklish since she very much is :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories