Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MarvelLion

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no VILLAIN Academia Update

Post by MarvelLion »

Hope you're doing well, Solar!
Can't wait to see this continue!
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:50 am Hope you're doing well, Solar!
Can't wait to see this continue!
Thanks dude! Almost done with these last few first-half villain builds, halfway through the Shie Hassaikai guys, then I'll return to posting again! I ended up taking a bit longer than I expected, due to a few quirks that ended up being a bit trickier than I expected and NEO: The World Ends with You coming out a while ago.

New videogames coming out being something that ends up prolonging the hiatuses of the thread ended up being a more common theme than I expected, LOL.
Davies

Re: Thirteen

Post by Davies »

SolarOracle wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:38 pm
I like Thirteen's gimmick of no one ever seeing her face and always beeing hidden behind her costume and mask. Hell, even her gender was unknown before it being revealed in one of the databooks, they haven't even addressed it in the manga, which is very funny.Her quirk is REALLY fucking awesome too for me, and I can't even explain why, something about "making miniature black holes" sounds cool as all hell to me. She using it in a less combat oriented way is also a pretty cool detail, despite being a very capable combatant. I really hope she shows up again in the manga.
Update for this: the most recent chapter showed her face.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
SolarOracle

Giant Villain

Post by SolarOracle »

Giant Villain

Identity: Unknown.
Height: Unknown (about 14 meters with quirk).
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Dark brown.
Skin: Tan.
Quirk Type: Transformation.
Group: None.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo.

Power Level 8 - 77 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3/11*, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 4/12*, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*Increased with powers.

Powers
Quirk - Gigantification

Growth 8 (Strength and Stamina +8, Mass +8, Intimidation +4, Speed +1, Dodge and Parry -4, Stealth -8) (14 meters), linked to Growth 3 (Mass +3 (+11 total), Intimidation +1 (+5 total), Dodge and Parry -1 (-5 total), Stealth -3 (-11 total) (Flaws: Limited to not increasing Strength or Stamina). [19]

Giant Sized Attack: Area 0 (15 ft. Burst) Damage 8. [8]

Advantages
Close Attack

Skills
Athletics 2
(+5 total, +13 size).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4 total).
Intimidation 4 (+4 total, +9 size).
Perception 2 (+3 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Stealth 0 (+0 total, -11 size).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+5, close damage 3.
Unarmed (Gigantified) +5, close damage 11.
Giant Sized Attack, close 15 ft. burst area damage 8.

Defense
Dodge 8/3*, Fortitude 5/13*, Parry 9/4*, Toughness 4/12*, Will 4
*Changed with power.

Complications

Motivation: Greed: The Giant Sized Villain doesn’t seem to have any particular goal other than doing petty crime to get money.

24 Abilities, 27 Powers, 1 Advantages, 8 Skills, 17 Defenses = 77 Character Points

About: The first villain to appear in the series, the giant villain, whose name is unknown, is a villain who was fought by Kamui Woods and Mt. Lady in the first few pages of the first chapter. His quirk, Gigantification, allows him to grow to a huge size, tho not nearly as big as other Gigantification users like Mt. Lady or Gigantomachia, growing up to about 14 meters.

In his brief appearance, the giant villain serves mostly to illustrate the hero culture of the Boku no Hero universe, with Midoriya narrating about heroes and villains while Kamui Woods is fighting the villain, and prepares to finish him off with his Lacquered Chain Prison super move, but is interrupted by the arrival of Mt. Lady, who takes the villain down with her Canyon Cannon super move, interrupting Kamui's capture of the villain as a way to get publicity for herself and attention on her debut as a hero, which serves to illustrate the competitive side of the hero business.

Other than that, apparently the giant villain was used a few times in videogames of the series as a mini boss of sorts (mostly that one shitty gacha game I mentioned back in my USJ villains build), where it is specified that his quirk, unlike Mt. Lady's, allows him to grow partially and not necessarily strictly to his full 14 meter size, and that he starts to shrink the more he fights. I don't know how much of that is canon or not, so I decided not to include him slowly shrinking in the build for simplicity's sake.

Outfits: The giant villain wears a black sleeveless vest with an exposed chest and a pair of blue jeans. He also has a weird and short pink beard on chin, which was always the thing in his design that wierded me out the most, even more than his strangely shaped head. His hair looks cool tho.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

All right! Posts are back at full speed baby! Again, sorry for the long break, took me a bit to finish off the Shie Hassaikai guys due to how complicated some of their powers are. Like I mentioned before, I'll be posting the other non-League villains in order of appearance in the series, so it will take a few meh builds before we reach characters I actually have interesting things to talk about, LOL, since the first actually substantial villain to show up, Stain, only appears during the school tournament arc.

Davies wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 am
SolarOracle wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:38 pm
I like Thirteen's gimmick of no one ever seeing her face and always beeing hidden behind her costume and mask. Hell, even her gender was unknown before it being revealed in one of the databooks, they haven't even addressed it in the manga, which is very funny.Her quirk is REALLY fucking awesome too for me, and I can't even explain why, something about "making miniature black holes" sounds cool as all hell to me. She using it in a less combat oriented way is also a pretty cool detail, despite being a very capable combatant. I really hope she shows up again in the manga.
Update for this: the most recent chapter showed her face.
Yup, and I guess I should probably include an image of that, for people interested:

Something about her design reminds me a lot of Uraraka. Probably the head shape, eyes and hair or whatever.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Oh yeah, here we go!
Off to a nice start with the Giant Villain. Oddly, unnamed villains with gigantification Quirks in the series seem to go down pretty easily. Though, Nejire-chan taking down two at once was said to be an impressive feat. Kind of funny.
SolarOracle

Sludge Villain

Post by SolarOracle »

Sludge Villain

Height: Unknown, varies.
Eyes: Red with yellow sclera.
Hair: None.
Skin: Green sludge.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City.

Power Level 7 - 94 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3, Agility 1, Fighting 4, Awareness 0
Stamina 4, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Sludge

Insubstantial 1 (Liquid) (Extras: Innate, Permanent). [6]

Overtake Body: Affliction 7 (Dazed, Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile, Stunned and Defenseless/Controlled) (Extras: Extra Condition 2, Insidious, Possession) (Flaws: Grab-based). [29]

Advantages
Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold

Skills
Athletics 3
(+6 total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4 total).
Intimidation 4 (+4 total).
Perception 5 (+5 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Stealth 6 (+7 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed
+6, close damage 3.
Overtake Body +6, close affliction (Dazed, Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile, Stunned and Defenseless/Controlled), Fortitude DC 17.

Defense
Dodge 8, Fortitude 6, Parry 9, Toughness 4, Will 3

Complications

Motivation: Greed
: The Sludge Villain doesn’t seem to have any real reason for his crimes other than wanting money.

24 Abilities, 35 Powers, 5 Advantages, 13 Skills, 17 Defenses = 94 Character Points

About: Sort of the first real enemy of the series, the sludge villain, whose actual name is, again, unknown, the second villain to appear in the series. He has a strange mutant quirk, which I took the liberty of calling Sludge, that makes it so his body is a strange malleable ooze-like substance, allowing him to enter small cramped spaces, and also, somehow entering other people he has suffocated and take control of their bodies. Yeah, that second ability wasn't really explained all that well.

He appears in the first chapter, shown as a purse snatcher and thief who was on the run from law enforcement and the local pro heroes. He runs into Midoriya while hiding away in the sewers of the city, who was feeling defeated and dejected due to Bakugo's bullying and people laughing at his dream of becoming a hero due to him being quirkless. The sludge villain tries to take over Midoriya's body, calling it an "invisibility cloak," and very ironically exclaims "Thanks, kid! You truly are my hero!" while doing so. Luckily tho, All Might arrives at the scene while this is going on and quickly defeats and captures the sludge villain, trapping him in a pair of plastic 2 litter bottles.

However, the sludge villain manages to escape due to Midoriya interfering with All Might when he tried to ask him if he could still be a hero despite being quirkless, hiding away at the sewers again and stumbling upon Bakugo and his friends, attempting to overtake Bakugo's body. This culminates in a pretty big local incident, where Bakugo's struggling causes various explosions and sets many nearby buildings on fire while the villain attempts to suffocate him, making it difficult for heroes to intervene due to the cramped alley they were in and the flames burning in the buildings and streets, and All Might being unable to arrive at the scene due to his One For All time being already expired.

Seeing this situation and noticing that it is due to what he did, Midoriya finds himself unable to stand still and watch Bakugo suffocate, despite knowing how useless his intervention would be, rushing past the pro heroes on the scene and attempting to free his bully, but failing to do so due to how difficult it is to grab the villain's viscous body, with both Bakugo and the pro heroes at the scene calling him an idiot for putting himself at risk like that. However, seeing the boy's bravery inspires All Might to push past his limits, reactivating his quirk and quickly defeating the villain in a single blow, freeing Bakugo and creating enough atmospheric pressure to cause rainfall, snuffing out the fires at the scene as well.

It's kind of cool how the entire basis for the story, All Might giving his quirk to Midoriya, only really happens because of this rando who doesn't even have a name. He serves his narrative purpose pretty well, of giving Midoriya an opportunity to show his heroic spirit and deep desire to do good despite his lack of powers, the very thing that makes All Might decide to give him One For All, so that is very great.

Only build note I really have is that I wasn't fully sure how to do his body possession power, since we don't really know how it works, other than that he needs to suffocate and kill his target before taking control of them, so that's why I decided to go that route for the affliction conditions and give it a Fortitude save. The insidious extra is meant to represent outside observers not being able to normally notice the possession, since he called Midoriya's body an "invisibility cloak" and stuff, tho by RAW that isn't really what insidious does, more so representing that the target itself wouldn't notice the possession, but I didn't really know how else I could handle that.

Outfits: The sludge villain only really wears a pair of jeans in his introduction scene purse snatching a woman. Otherwise, he doesn't seem to wear anything else, having his entire green mud-like body exposed.
SolarOracle

Habit Headgear

Post by SolarOracle »

Habit Headgear

Height: Unknown. About 3 meters.
Eyes: White.
Hair: Unknown.
Skin: Pink.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 10 - 94 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 7/10*, Agility 3, Fighting 6, Awareness 1
Stamina 7*, Dexterity 0, Intellect 2, Presence 0
*Increased with size. Strength 10 with powers.

Powers
Quirk - Trap Flex

Growth 4 (Extras: Innate, Permanent). [9]
Enhanced Strength 3. [6]
Protection 4. [4]
Speed 1 (8 Km/H or 4 MpH). [1]
Leaping 1 (15 ft.). [1]

Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack

Skills
Athletics 2
(+9/+12 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10 total).
Deception 4 (+4 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 2 (+3 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Stealth 0 (+3 total, -1 size).

Offense
Initiative +3
Unarmed
+10, close damage 10.

Defense
Dodge 9*, Fortitude 12*, Parry 9*, Toughness 7/11*, Will 5
*Changed with size. Toughness 11 with powers.

Complications

None.

32 Abilities, 21 Powers, 6 Advantages, 10 Skills, 22 Defenses = 94 Character Points

About: A minor villain appearing in the beginning at the start of the USJ arc, Habit Headgear is a seemingly very capable and powerful villain that was giving trouble to a group of pro heroes before being stopped by All Might. His quirk, Trap Flex, allows him to overextend his trapezius muscles to an absurd degree, to the point they go over his head, granting him immense physical strength, durability and agility.

Habit Headgear only lasts for 2 pages in his brief time in the manga, being shown as barely tired despite fighting some very powerful heroes, like Mt. Lady and Kamui Woods, showcasing just how strong he really is. Kamui Woods also pointed out that he wasn't just strong and resistant, but also incredibly agile and fighting very smartly, fighting them in an urban environment that made it difficult for Mt. Lady to fight at full power and capturing children as hostages to stop the heroes. Fortunately, however, All Might appears immediately as the villain starts laughing and gloating, defeating him in a single strike and rescuing the hostages, showing that not even someone that seemingly strong can compare to the Symbol of Peace.

It's kind of baffling how strong this guy seems to be despite appearing in a single chapter as a small villain that is dealt with quickly, being able to take on a whole group of high-ranking heroes with no difficulty.

Small build note, I made him PL 10 so he could be able to fight on equal terms with the likes of Kamui Woods and stuff, him gaining a significant advantage in the fight due to the environment and him capturing hostages, but still making him a quick non-threat for All Might.

Outfits: Habit Headgear wears a black vest with a chain over his shoulder, paired with a black belt with a metal buckle that resembles and X and a pair of green cargo pants. He also wears a pair of yellow bracelets.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The series using one-off characters in this context is kind of interesting- it implies a bigger, wider world that we've only just begun exploring... but as these are early characters, also that the writer was just making throwaways without interesting designs beyond "Ugly Monster" for the purpose of the story, and would later add the GOOD designs to the characters who were supposed to be a big deal.
SolarOracle

Stain

Post by SolarOracle »

Fasnart by Luis Neto
Couldn't find the source for this fanart, sorry.

Hero Killer: Stain

Identity: Akaguro Chizome, Public Identity.
Height: Unknown.
Eyes: White (manga) or red (anime).
Hair: Black.
Skin: Pale.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Hosu City.

Power Level 11 (PL 15 Quirk) - 225 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 4, Agility 4, Fighting 7, Awareness 2
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 1, Presence 3

Powers
Quirk - Bloodcurdle

Perception Range Affliction 15 (Hindered, Impaired, Dazed and Vulnerable/Immobile, Defenseless, Prone and Stunned) (Extras: Concentration, Effortless, Extra Condition 3) (Flaws: Limited to 2 Degrees, Limited to Physically, Source - Target’s Blood). [89]

Support Item - Katana and Knife: (Flaws: Easily Removable). [4]
Strength-based Damage 3 (Extras: Improved Critical 2, Split). (6)

Support Item - Throwing Knives: (Flaws: Easily Removable). [5]
Ranged 5 Strength-based Damage 1 (Extras: Improved Critical 2) (Flaws: Diminished Range). (7)

Advantages
All-Out Attack, Assessment, Close Attack 3, Daze (Intimidation), Evasion 2, Improved Critical (Swords), Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Acrobatics 6
(+10 total).
Athletics 2 (+6 total).
Close Combat (Swords) 4 (+14 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+7 total).
Insight 6 (+8 total).
Intimidation 6 (+9 total).
Investigation 3 (+4 total).
Perception 5 (+7 total).
Persuasion 2 (+5 total).
Ranged Combat (Knives) 4 (+12 total).
Stealth 2 (+6 total).

Offense
Initiative +8
Unarmed
+10, close damage 4.
Katana and Knife +14, close damage 7, critical 17-20.
Throwing Knives +12, ranged damage 5, critical 18-20.
Bloodcurdle, perception range affliction (Hindered, Impaired, Dazed and Vulnerable/Immobile, Defenseless, Prone and Stunned), Fortitude DC 25.

Defense
Dodge 18, Fortitude 7, Parry 18, Toughness 3, Will 9

Complications

Motivation: To Reclaim the Word Hero
: Stain despises the current state of hero society, due to it encouraging greedy heroes who seek compensation. He believes that it is his duty to cleanse society of unworthy heroes and to create a world where heroes embody the self-sacrifice he believes they should have. Because of this, Stain will spare heroes he believes are worthy, such as All Might or Deku, and target only those that he sees as unworthy.

Blood Type Dependent Quirk: The time Stain’s quirk remains under effect depends on the blood type of the person he has targeted. While it lasts for 8 minutes on targets of blood type B, targets of blood type AB, A and O last progressively less, with type O targets being freed from the effects of his power in only a few turns.

54 Abilities, 98 Powers, 18 Advantages, 23 Skills, 36 Defenses = 225 Character Points

About: Stain, the Hero Killer, is the second big villain encounter for Midoriya in the series, preceded only by the League of Villains in the USJ Arc. Stain is an extreme ideologue who hates the current state of hero society, where heroes work for retribution, and, after years of being ignored and treated as insane, decided to start killing heroes as his way of communicating that flaws, saying that he would only accept being taken down by the last righteous hero, All Might. His quirk, Bloodcurdle, allows him to paralyze anyone whose blood he ingested, with the type the paralysis lasts being dependent on their blood type. Because of his quirk, Stain prefers to fight with bladed and edged weapons, carrying many knives and swords to more easily activate his quirk.

During his teenage years, Stain was a hero student in some Japanese high school, aiming to become a pro hero, but the more he learned about the pro hero industry, the more disillusioned and angry he became about it due to him finding the behavior of heroes working for compensation something abhorrent and something that made them unworthy of the title of hero. He ended up dropping out of high school, still on his first year, and started doing public speeches and rallies about his views, but was ignored, mocked and discredited by everyone around him. This all ended up making him decide that the only way to actually make the world approach his ideals was to take more drastic action towards it, setting him on the path that turned Akaguro Chizome into the infamous Hero Killer.

Stain first appears in the story at the end of the Sports Festival arc, when we learn that he has gone on a rampage in recent years and killed over 17 pro heroes, and injured 24 more, with the latest one for him to injure having been Iida Tensei, Iida Tenya's older brother who was the pro hero Ingenium. In his encounter with the hero killer, Tensei ended up losing the mobility of his legs, ending his days as Ingenium. This all ends up weighing really heavily on Tenya's consciousness, and he ends up deciding to try to hunt down the Hero Killer himself to avenge his brother, taking advantage of the hero internships the class is taking to enroll to intern with the pro hero Manual, who operates in Hosu City, where Stain was last seen.

Meanwhile, Stain ends up meeting with Shigaraki Tomura and Kurogiri, who tell him they heard of his doings and want to recruit him to their ranks, as they just lost a bunch of villains in the USJ fight and need to start accumulating manpower. Stain, however, after asking Shigaraki what his goal was, and his reply being that he wants to kill All Might, tells Shigaraki that he is pathetic and that their goals are extreme opposites, since Stain wants nothing more than to redefine what it means to be a hero back to its righteous meaning, while Shigaraki wants to completely collapse hero society and kill the only hero Stain respects.

As tensions grow, Stain attacks Kurogiri and paralyzes him with his quirk, moving on to attacking Shigaraki and easily pinning him to the ground, telling Shigaraki about how foolish and childish his goals are, and how he is disgusted by his lack of conviction, with Shigaraki replying by decaying Stain's knife and telling him that what drives him is killing All Might and those who worship him, as he is tired and annoyed by hero society and people's complacence with it. After this, Stain says that he believes that, despite both of their goals being opposed, they share a belief that the current status quo of society is one that must be changed.

As Shigaraki is annoyed after their confrontation, he tells Stain to get out of their hideout, with Stain saying that he attacked him to test his conviction and that he hoped to talk again in the future, being warped back to Hosu City by Kurogiri so he can continue his killing spree of unworthy heores.

This all leads to the Hero Killer arc, where Iida tries to face Stain, who was about to kill the pro hero Native, but ends up being paralyzed by Bloodcurdle very quickly, being saved in the last second by Midoriya's arrival, who was worried about his friend's anger and recent actions and was luckily by the area. Soon, they are joined by Todoroki, after Midoriya sends their location on their class' group chat as a way of asking for help, leading the three to fight against Stain.

During their fight, Stain's absurd strength and great mobility manages to keep the trio at bay, paired with him attacking from afar by throwing knives and activating his quirk on occasion, temporarily taking some of his enemies out of the fight. However, the UA students are able to retaliate extremely well, through Todoroki attacking from afar with his flames and deflecting blows with his ice, and Midoriya forcing Stain to keep moving by chasing him with great speed with his newly acquired Full Cowling technique and trying to deliver powerful blows. When Iida finally manages to get up from his paralysis, him and Midoriya manage to deliver a final blow that finally took down Stain, with Iida accelerating the engines on his feet more than usual and both of them leaping in the air with the assistance of Todoroki's ice, delivering two powerful simultaneous blows to Stain and knocking him out.

Throughout the fight, Stain kept talking about his ideology and how unworthy the current heroes are. He initially insults Iida for having a revenge as a motivation, which he sees as an unheroic behavior, and also reprimands him for rushing towards him without a plan, before attacking and paralyzing him for most of the remainder of the fight. Impressively enough tho, Stain praises Midoriya when he first arrived at the scene to protect his friend, complimenting him and his conviction after getting striked by him, saying that he is one of the few that are worthy of the title of hero, and that he will be spared.

Due to this view of Midoriya, later on in the arc, when the pro heroes arrive at the scene and start apprehending the Hero Killer, Midoriya gets captured by a wounded Winged Nomu, which causes Stain to wake up and lick some of the Nomu's blood that had fallen to the face off one of the heroes apprehending him, paralyzing the nomu. He then immediately spung into action and killed the Winged Nomu with a knife and holding onto Midoriya so he isn't harmed by the fall. He then turns towards the pro heroes at the scene, calling them all fakers as he stares them down, paralyzing them through his sheer charisma and force of will, as he calls out hero society and its hypocrisies, and saying that he will only accept being killed by All Might, the last righteous hero, becoming unconscious immediately afterwards.

In the wake of Stains arrest and it being theorized that he was working with the League of Villains due to the Nomus attacking Hosu City, people start documenting and discussing Stain and his ideals and views, inspiring many to become villains to try to continue his vision and drawing a lot of attention to the League, with most of the League's most prominent members entering it due to the Stain incident, turning the League of Villains from a small group of randos to a national threat with many powerful individuals.

Most recently, in the Villains Hunt Arc (I still hate that name, god damn), we see that Stain is one of the villains to escape Tartarus during All For One's breakout, tho he didn't join up with the others in the so called "New League of Villain," and simply going out on his own. We last saw him after Midoriya told a now powerless All Might to stop trying to assist him as he was already powerful enough on his own, on an attempt to stop All Might from risking himself so much, with Stain being shown stalking All Might behhind a building.

It's also worth adding, Stain has a major appearance in the spinoff manga, Vigilantes, where we learn that before his days as a villain and Hero Killer, he used to operate as the vigilante Stendhal, as vigilantist is closer to his ideal of heroism than the pro heroes, and hunted down villains, running into Crawler during one of these fights and helping him out with trying to defeat the Instant Villain Iwao Akira. However, as they both went their separate ways, unknown to Crawler, Stendhal hunted Iwao down and brutally murdered him.

Later on in the arc, Stendhal invades a meeting by a collection of yakuza heads known as the Abegawa Tenchu Kai, who were trying to reorganize the yakuza and bring it back to power. As their meeting is about to start, Stendhal uses his quirk through blood samples of the Abegawa Tenchu Kai members he obtained through Giran from Hachisuka Kuin, and proceeds to kill all of them.

As a condition for his deal to acquire the blood samples, Stendhal agreed to hunt down past Instant Villains, and goes after Kugisaki Soga, who ends up being injected by trigger by Hachisuka, leading to their fight. However, before they can start, The Crawler arrives at the scene and saves Kugisagi, leading both of them to be chased down by Stendhal. Both end up being saved by Knuckleduster, who arrives at the scene and challenges Stendhal, knocking him out in with a powerful punch in the face that completely disfigured his nose.

After this, he retreats and cuts off what remained from his nose, now also disillusioned by vigilantism as well and realizing that the only way to really make a change will be to become a villain and hunt down the so called heroes who are unworthy of that title, thus finally becoming the Hero Killer, Stain.

Stain is a great characters and overall one of my favorites in the series, due to him being the only person to call attention to the possible problems with the pro hero system present in the series. He also serves really well to illustrate how people misinterpreting ideology and ideas can be a dangerous thing, since none of the people who later joined with the League actually share his view. Seriously, the close to that would be Spinner, who just worships Stain without really fully understanding his ideals.

I also remember seeing people commenting on how he might be a reference to Image Comics and the general 90's dark/iron age comics zeitgheist as a whole, trying to redefine the meaning of what a hero is through brutality and murder, despite insisting on how he wants heroes to be pure and worthy people or whatever. His quirk is pretty unique and his design is really well made, with his zombie-like face and tattered red scarf and mask and stuff. I especially like the Vigilantes manga trying to explain his missing nose, I thought that was pretty cool I am pretty excited to see what the main series still holds for Stain.

Outfits: Stain wears a an armored vest with a pair of black pants with knee-high metal spiked boots, and wraps his arms with white bandages. He also wears a tattered white mask with long flowing straps, paired with his signature long red scarf and headband. He carries many bladed weapons with him, mostly knives and his katana.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've heard the mask and lack of nose was inspired by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as the whole ninja aesthetic.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
SolarOracle

Stain Did Nothing Wrong! - Rambling on Some Thoughts

Post by SolarOracle »

I was originally writing this as part of the original post for Stain, but then I realized it was kind of off-topic and a bit too long and rambly, so I decided to just make a separate post for it.

Here's the thing that gets me the most about Stain's view - if we ignore the fact that he is a mass murderer due to how much of an extremist he became about his ideology, he is pretty much right!

The very first thing we see in the series, during the giant villain's capture by Kamui Woods and Mt. Lady, is how the pro hero system actively motivates the heroes to compete with each other, due to how much they gain and their positioning in the ranks being directly tied to their effectiveness and public perception of them, with Mt. Lady screwing Kamui Woods over by stealing the win last second so she can make a big debut and gain more fame and popularity, and despite them making up later to the point of them now working on the same team and possibly being in a relationship, it still feels pretty emblematic of the negatives and risks the competitive nature of the system causes.

Granted, throughout the series, we never see any pro hero risking civilian lives or the success at a villain's arrest to try to get more attention or sabotage other pro heroes or anything, but I think that would probably be the inevitable logical conclusion of a system that places pro heroes against each other as competitors, having a direct monetary incentive to try to outdo each other.

Hell, because of how important the national hero rankings are shown as being and the great weight that is put on them to incentivize competition between heroes, downright monstrous and cruel actions like what Endeavor did end up being encouraged by this system, with him emotionally abusing his family to try to produce someone that can perform better as a hero than he did so he can nab All Might's spot (though, granted, what Endeavor wanted wasn't simply having the number one spot, but rather just being the best at all costs, and he would probably have gone down the same route even with a different system in place, but I still think that a system that pits heroes against one another isn't something that helps with this worldview).

Even more, we see during Vigilantes that the hero system was only put in place as a way to better police and regulate quirk usage by the people back in the days where vigilantism was the norm for heroes, with there being a large percentage of people concerned about who the government labels as a villain and why, since that is something ultimately decided by the governments and not necessarily by real acts of villainy. The shady way the Japanese Hero Public Safety Committee operates and the assassinations they orchestrated for people they couldn't ethically arrest, as shown in Lady Nagant's backstory, cements this point even more.

The way Stain frames it, of heroes being "unworthy" or "fakers" just because they are compensated is incredibly dumb in my opinion, but I do think that the very basis of his ideology; that the pro hero system that is in place is one that should be revised somehow, is something I very strongly agree with. Would love to get some other opinions and have some discussions about all this tho, so feel free to share your thoughts.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, it seems from the very beginning we were supposed to see the problems with the "Hero Culture" and ranking system of the day- it was used to juxtapose Midoriya's selflessness by comparison, which is what All Might notices and rewards. So Stain here is really just one of those "Villains who thinks he's right" because his baseline point- that the ranking culture is bad- is a good one. Like most villains of this type, his sin is that he takes it to extremes- becoming a serial killer instead of fixing the culture. Which makes him seem crazy and obsessive.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Excellent Stain build! I've been looking forward to this one, not just for the build, but also your thoughts on Stain, and it's as good as I was hoping.

I agree on basically all of your points about Stain and his ideology, though I do think that there's more to it than heroes being paid. I suspect that Stain knows more about the Hero Public Safety Committee than we realize, and that has a lot to do with his views. I guess only time will tell, though. Regardless, I love Stain; he's an excellent character with a truly frightening Quirk.

One thing I wanted to suggest, maybe as a detail to his Motivation Complication, or a new Complication: That he will allow hero students a chance to leave, and only fight them if they insist on getting involved, as he did with Midoriya, Iida and Todoroki.

As always, I'm looking forward to the next build! Great job, as always!
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Interesting trivia bit about Stains design is the fact that he wears a Red Scarf. To westerners this is just a cool costume accessory like a cape but in Japan it's a bit more meaningful because a red scarf is a symbol of a Hero in the same way a pencil thin mustache is the symbol of a villain in the west. If you want to make someone look heroic in Japanese media you give them a red scarf.