Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
SolarOracle

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no Hero Academia Update

Post by SolarOracle »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:56 pm may want to throw a complication ticklish since she very much is :D
Heh, doubt that would ever come up in a game... but it's such a funny inclusion I feel obligated to add it, LOL.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Hopefully Centipeder doesn't sexually harass her like Nighteye did.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Sidney369 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:56 am Hopefully Centipeder doesn't sexually harass her like Nighteye did.
Yeah, hopefuly.

I don't know, the whole tickle machine thing was something I had completely forgotten about before rewatching those episodes before doing that build a while back and, like... man, it really feels weird to me. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Eh, IDK.
SolarOracle

David Shield

Post by SolarOracle »

David Shield

Identity: David Shield, Public Identity.
Height: 1.85 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Aqua blue.
Hair: Brown.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: I-Island scientists.
Base of Operations: I-Island.

Power Level 4 (PL 6 Inventor) - 67 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 2, Dexterity 3*, Intellect 3, Presence 1
*Increased with powers.

Powers
Quirk - Bendy Fingers

Feature: User’s fingers can bend in any direction. [1]
Enhanced Dexterity 2. [4]

Advantages
Close Attack 2, Inventor

Skills
Athletics 4
(+4 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 4 (+7 total).
Expertise (Science) 8 (+11 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 5 (+6 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).
Technology 13 (+16 total).
Vehicles 2 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+8, close damage 0.

Defense
Dodge 3, Fortitude 3, Parry 5, Toughness 2, Will 6

Complications

Motivation: To Recover Research: Shield’s quirk amplification research and prototypes were confiscated by those in authority due to the danger they posed when in the wrong hand. Infuriated by this, Shield will go to great lengths to try to get his project back, including faking a villain attack on I-Island.

Responsibility: Family: David Shield has a quirkless teenager daughter called Melissa. He loves his daughter dearly and does his best to provide the best life he can to her.

24 Abilities, 5 Powers, 3 Advantages, 25 Skills, 10 Defenses = 67 Character Points

About: David Shield was All Might's first sidekick, back when he went to America. David seems like an outgoing, intelligent and calm guy, and eventually became an important and leading part of the science team on I-Island, an artificial moving island with over ten-thousand scientists dedicated to quirk development research. David's quirk, Bendy Fingers, allows him to freely move his finders in all directions, something that allowed him to better create and operate devices and machinery.

David Shield first met All Might when he was younger, impressing the hero, who never took any sidekicks before, with his support item ideas and technologies, as well as his passion and dedication, making All Might allow him to become his sidekick, assisting All Might in his crimefighting by creating gadgets and support items for the hero to face off against threats he would usually be unequipped to deal with. After All Might returned to Japan, David apparently abandoned the hero scene as well, instead opting to become a scientist on the field of quirk development due to his experience with creating quirk enhancing gadgetry during his time as a sidekick. At some point, David had a daughter, Melissa, who turned out to be quirkless. David encouraged her, however, by teaching her what he knew about quirk enhancement technology and support item development, turning his daughter into a great scientist herself, somewhat compensating for her lack of a quirk.

After years of work on I-Island, David and his team began working on a project known as the Quirk Enhancement Device, a machine that exponentially increases the effects of its wearer's quirk, something he began to develop due to him learning of All Might's injury and weakening power. His project, however, was confiscated by the I-Islands sponsors due to being deemed too dangerous. Furious, David and his lead assistant, Samuel Abraham, began to formulate a plan to recover the device by hiring a crew of actors who would pretend to be villains and take the visitors of the island hostage during an event called I-Expo, meant to showcase the technology developed by the island, leading to the events of the first Boku no hero movie, where, unbeknownst to the scientists, the actors they hired were in fact real villains and doubles cross them, taking the device for themselves, being stopped by a couple of U.A. students and Melissa. Afdter that, David is taken to the hospital because of the injuries he suffered during the events of the villain attack, presumably being arrested for treason afterwards (I assume? I mean, they could have pardonned him, but I highly doubt that.)

David is a preety interesting character and a pretty good framing device to link the main cast with I-Island and the events of the movie. I really like his connection with All Might's time in America, since we don't know much about it and it's always been something I thought was pretty interesting. I really like David's unique quirk too, and the explanation of how that would be benefitial for his career, which I thought was pretty creative. His daughter Melissa ended up being a pretty beloved bcharacter by the fanbase, and even shows up a few times in spinoff mangas (tho she still hasn't appeared on the main series, but I wouldn't doubt she'll come up in the future due to her popularity and connection to Midoriya).

This build is meant to represent an aged David, like we see him in the movie, so out of his prime and without much combat capability, more capable as a scientist and inventor. Thought about doing two builds, with one being him at his prime, but we didn't see much of that, and I imagine he'd have some unique crimefighting gadgets and the like, which would be relevant for the build, so decided to just settle with doing him as we see him in the movie.

Outfits: David Shield seems toi wear half-formal clothing, like a buttoned shirt, a pair of jeans with a belt and a pair of sneakers.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Isn't "Bendy Fingers" another name for Double-jointed?
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:44 pm Isn't "Bendy Fingers" another name for Double-jointed?
Hm, never seen the expression used with that meaning, but that would make sense.
SolarOracle

Sirius

Post by SolarOracle »

Fanart by Mikanchii

Sirius

Identity: Unknown.
Height: 1.65 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Sky blue.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: Sidekick, The Oki Mariner Crew.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 5 - 55 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Good Ear

Senses 3 (Extended, Analytical and Ultra Hearing). [3]

Advantages
Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 2, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 2
(+2 total).
Deception 2 (+3 total).
Expertise (Nautical) 5 (+5 total).
Expertise (Pro Hero) 2 (+2 total).
Perception 10 (+11 total).
Persuasion 2 (+3 total).
Treatment 1 (+1 total).
Vehicles 4 (+4 total) (Flaws: Limited to Ships).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed
+8, close damage 0.

Defense
Dodge 5, Fortitude 5, Parry 6, Toughness 2/4*, Will 4
*4 with defensive roll.

Complications

None.

18 Abilities, 4 Powers, 5 Advantages, 14 Skills, 12 Defenses = 55 Character Points

About: Sirius is an outgoing and griendly young woman who is one of the members of the Oki Mariner Crew, pro hero Selkie's fgroup of sidekicks dedicated to guarding the coast. Her quirk, Good Ear, allows her to hear high sound frequencies over great distances, something that she has used in the past to receive messages from Selkie through his ecolocation.

Selkie is an anime-only character, showing up in a special episode focused on Asui during the Hero Killer arc, where she encouraged the student and helps her out in her internship with Selkie's crew. Later in the episode, she and Asui end up in a fight with the villain Innsmouth while Selkie was trapped, and despite not being very powerful in battle, they managed to buy enough time for Selkie to arrive and take down the villain.

Selkie seems to be pretty popular with the fanbase, but I have honestly no idea why. Her design is interesting, I guess, but other than that, I don't really get it. Her quirk is pretty boring, not really having many uses, unlike other sense-enhancement quirks like Jiro's Earphone Jack or Shoji's Dupli-Arms, but I can see how it would be very useful in a nautical scenario.

Only build note I have is that I pumped her Toughness with two Defensive Roll ranks due to she managing to take a seemingly VERY powerful attack from Innsmouth, where she was violently thrown against a rock. Very anime!

Outfits: Sirius hero outfit is a traditional sailor uniform with a pair of blue gloves, a pair of thigh-high dark-blue boots and a fish-like acessory on her ears, along with a traditional sailor flat hat with a ribbon.
SolarOracle

Oki Mariner Crew Members

Post by SolarOracle »

Oki Mariner Crew Member

Group: Sidekick, Oki Mariner Crew.

Power Level 6 - 55 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 4, Agility 0, Fighting 5, Awareness 0
Stamina 4, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Advantages
Close Attack, Defensive Roll, Great Endurance, Power Attack. Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 2
(+6 total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Expertise (Nautical) 5 (+5 total).
Perception 2 (+2 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Treatment 1 (+1 total).
Vehicles 4 (+4 total) (Flaws: Limited to Ships).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+8, close damage 4.

Defense
Dodge 4, Fortitude 7, Parry 6, Toughness 4/5*, Will 4
*5 with defensive roll.

Complications

None.

28 Abilities, 0 Powers, 5 Advantages, 10 Skills, 12 Defenses = 55 Character Points

About: A base build representing the rest of Selkie's crew. The only one of them to actually get named is called Mick, but we don't get to see the quirk of any member of The Oki Mariner Crew other than Selkie and Sirius. The other sidekicks all seem to be very muscular men with nautical skill tho.

Outfits: The Oki Mariner Crew sidekicks all dress with blue striped sailor uniforms with traditional sailor flat hats with a rtibbon.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Gang Orca's Sidekicks

Post by SolarOracle »

Gang Orca’s Sidekicks

Group: Sidekick, Gang Orca Hero Agency.

Power Level 5 - 61 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 0, Fighting 5, Awareness 0
Stamina 3, Dexterity 2, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Support Item - Cement Gun
: (Flaws: Removable). [15]
Ranged Affliction 6 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Multiattack) (Flaws: Limited Degree). (18)

Advantages
Close Attack, Defensive Roll, Ranged Attack 2, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 2
(+3 total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Intimidation 2 (+2 total).
Perception 3 (+3 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Treatment 1 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+8, close damage 1.
Cement Gun +4, ranged affliction (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless), Dodge DC 16.

Defense
Dodge 5, Fortitude 5, Parry 6, Toughness 3/4*, Will 3
*4 with defensive roll.

Complications

None.

22 Abilities, 15 Powers, 5 Advantages, 8 Skills, 11 Defenses = 61 Character Points

About: A base build for Gang Orca's group of sidekicks, more specifically, representing them during the second half of the Provisional License Exam, where they were hired to simulate a villain attack to test the students' combat and rescue skills, and they were forbidden from using their quirks and armed with quick-hardening cement guns, using those to immobilize the students.

Outfits: The Gang Orca sidekicks all wear black skin tight bodysuits that cover their entire bodies, having six diamond-shaped holes in the face to allow them to see. Over their bodysuits, they wear pieces of white armor pads.
SolarOracle

Yet Another Asortment of Non-Builded Characters

Post by SolarOracle »

You know the drill by now. These are the main series sidekick characters I felt like I couldn't build for one reason or another:

The Flaming Sidekickers

About: The group of 30 sidekicks hired by Endeavor's hero agency, who pride themselves on their "flaming" passion. Unfortunately the story is yet to showcase any of them in depths, but the first few builds on this list are all members of this group.

Fanart by YukiY4gami

Burnin

About: Probably the Flaming Sidekicker with the most screentime, Burnin is a passionate and enthusiastic woman with hair made out of green flame. Her quirk seems to allow her to remove pieces of flame from her hair to throw them at her enemies as fire projectiles. She shows up during the Endeavor Agency arc, where she helps guide Midoriya, Todortoki and Bakugo with the rest of the Flaming Sidekickers. Sadly tho, we haven't seen her enough to understand entirely how her quirk works, nor do we know how capable in combat she is, so I felt like I shyould hold off a bit on building her, since she will probably apperar more in the future.

Kido

About: Kido is a member of the Flaming Sidekickers who always appear covered in bandages. His quirk, Traject, allows him to make a large ring with the bandages on his arms and change the trajectory of anything that goes through that ring, something he has used to assist Endeavor in maneuvering in tight spaces and redirecting his fire attacks towards enemies. He is probably the member of the group who I felt the most inclined to try to build, but considering how weird his quirk is and the facvt that we will probably see more of the Flaming Sidekickers in the future, letting me know better his capabilities, I decided to hold off on building him too.

Onima

About: Onima is another member of the Flaming Sidekickers, and, aside from the horse one, since we don't even know the name of that one, the one we know the least about. He appears with the rest of the Sidekickers during the Endeavor Agency arc, but doesn't get much focus. Couldn't build him due to that.

The Midnight Boys

About: Midnight's group of sidekicks, the Midnight Boys are a group of four attractive young men who are shown to be very devoted to their boss. They only really appeared during the Vigilantes spinoff, where Midnight had them distract a pair of young women so she and Pop Step could infiltrate a mixer where the people present were suspect of being involved with the Villain Factory and the quirk enhancement drug Trigger. They also have a few more sporadical appearances during Vigilantes, but are yet to appear in the main series. I wonder what they're doing now, considering Midnight's death during the Paranormal Liberation Front arc.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

And with that, I'm done withy the sidekick builds. Next up, we finally get to the villain builds!!! I'm not sure what oreder I should post them tho, I was thinking of maybe starting off with All For One and the League of Villain (whom I want to do sort of like how I did the Class 1-A students and do various builds for, since we do get to see a lot of their powers evolving and stuff throughout the series), but other than that, not really sure what order to do them. Maybe by the order they appear in the series? I don't know, suggestions are more than welcome.

Hopefully the break I take for the villain builds won't be too long, LOL. See you guys in a bit!
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice job with the sidekicks, especially with the limited information about them! I'm really looking forward to your villain builds, especially Shigaraki (I'm certain that you can stat out his improved Quirk better than I did.) and Mr. Compress. I like the idea of statting the League like you did 1-A, too!

I also was thinking of how you said that characters like Backdraft and Sirius are so popular despite the extreme lack of exposure they have. This might sound a bit negative, but I think that it might be that a lot of people like their appearances, and then come up with assumptions and headcanons for them, and then treat those as fact. I can't really think of any other reason. But at least Sirius can be justified since she was prominent in the filler episode (I still can't believe they did a filler episode that was GOOD!), but characters like Backdraft who only had one line and about 30 seconds on page/screen? I'm stumped.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Also I think Sirius is meant to be aquatic not aquaman level but an amphibious hero swimmer etc which is why shes so tough
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:09 pm Nice job with the sidekicks, especially with the limited information about them! I'm really looking forward to your villain builds, especially Shigaraki (I'm certain that you can stat out his improved Quirk better than I did.) and Mr. Compress. I like the idea of statting the League like you did 1-A, too!
Thanks, dude! Holpefuly I won't take long to finish the villain builds.
MarvelLion wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:09 pm I also was thinking of how you said that characters like Backdraft and Sirius are so popular despite the extreme lack of exposure they have. This might sound a bit negative, but I think that it might be that a lot of people like their appearances, and then come up with assumptions and headcanons for them, and then treat those as fact. I can't really think of any other reason. But at least Sirius can be justified since she was prominent in the filler episode (I still can't believe they did a filler episode that was GOOD!), but characters like Backdraft who only had one line and about 30 seconds on page/screen? I'm stumped.
That is VERY plausible, considering the amount of fanwork dedicated to those characters, which I assume helps in "homogenize" the headcanon of many fans of the character. It's not an uncommon phenomenon in fandom as a whole, now that I think about it, the first example of stuff like that that comes to mind is Four-Seven-Niner from Red vs Blue (probably the first one to come to mind because I just finished rewatching that series, heh), who has immense popularity in the fanbase despite having virtually no screentime and I see a lot of fans out there kind of creating a mental image of her and inventing personality traits and whatever for her to "compensate" for her lack of screentime, I guess is the best way of putting it.

...Huh, that was a weird tangent.
catsi563 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:43 pm Also I think Sirius is meant to be aquatic not aquaman level but an amphibious hero swimmer etc which is why shes so tough
Hm, hadn't considered that, but based on her design and concept, can see that being the case. If so, she might be qualified for a few more ranks in Athletics than I gave her.
SolarOracle

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no VILLAIN Academia Update

Post by SolarOracle »

So, after a long break, a couple of tricky builds (and three Dark Souls playthroughs. : P), the thread is finally back, with a quick rebranding!!

Alright, let's talk a bit about the bad guys, shall we?