Batgirl III's Space Opera Setting

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
MacynSnow

Re: Batgirl III's Space Opera Setting

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 am Well, humans are also the nominal good guys.
It's like a Giant, Universe wide game of CLUE(which would be an Awesome Sauce way of setting up a game of this on here...nudge,nudge). One of these Faction's is going to do something stupid and they'd have another Interstellar War on their hand's again...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I see many things. I see plans within plans. I see two Great Houses feuding.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

ÆLF
Binomial: Homo nobilis nobilis, Homo nobilis sylvanus, Homo nobilis umbrae
Planet of Origin: Epsilon Eridani, Epsilon Indi, Tau Ceti

Ælves are a demihuman species and the fourth most common species within the Solar Kingdom.

Adult ælves are on the average slightly shorter than humans (~170cm), and they are usually somewhat more lightly built (i.e., thinner with an average weight of 70kg),giving them narrower frames than Humans, which is especially pronounced in their narrow facial features. This slenderness is particularly pronounced in ælves of the Sylvan (H. nobilis sylvanus) and Draugr (H. nobilis umbrae) subspecies. Ælven physique is leaner and lighter than that of Humans, even though muscles, tendons and bones are of comparable strength.

The skin color of the Sylvan and Highborn subspecies varies, similarly as with humans, from pale white to dark brown. Draugr universally have dark skintones ranging from charcoal grey to completely black. Ælves also have elongated ears that end in a prominent tip.

Ælves are mammals, although their body hair is sparse, almost non-existent in individual cases. Head hair, on the other hand, is thicker than a human's, even if the hair follicles themselves are much finer, giving the hair a "silky" texture. In most elf populations, the hair is straight or slightly wavy, but in some it can also have very tight curls. The hair color of the Sylvan and Highborn subspecies varies, with all the hair colors found amongst Humans and a few that do not naturally occur asuch as pink, blue, green and teal. The Draugr universally have stark white hair.

Species Package:

Powers
Long Lived Immunity 2 (Aging) [ 1 PP ]
Heightened Senses Senses 2 (Visual: Low-Light Vision, Extended) [ 2 PP ]
Swift and Graceful Quickness 1; Speed 1 [ 2 PP ]
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

DWARF
Binomial: Homo sapiens saxa
Planet of Origin: Alpha Canis Majoris

Dwarves, or Dwarfs, are a demihuman species and the third most common species within the Solar Kingdom.

Adult Dwarves are on average shorter than humans (~120cm) unlike humans with achondroplasia or growth hormone deficiency, true Dwarves have upper bodies that are proportionately larger than their lower bodies compared to Humans. Their skin color varies in a similar fashion to humans, with colors ranging from pale pink to light brown. Dwarves have an average life expectancy of 300 years, on average. Dwarfs see in a broader spectrum than Humans, which allows them to have natural thermographic vision. In addition, Dwarves have a more efficient immune system than humans do, which makes them resistant to most diseases and toxins.

Dwarves are mammals, and their body hair is thicker and more dense than most Humans. Male Dwarves often sport thick and well groomed beards and female Dwarves tend to favor long sideburns and thick braids. In most Dwarf populations, the hair is slightly wavy or curly, but in some it can also be fine and straight.

There are no known subspecies of Dwarves.

Species Package:
Powers
Long Lived Immunity 1 (Aging, Disease; Flaw: Half Effect) [ 1 PP ]
Thermographic Vision Senses 2 (Visual: Infravision) [ 2 PP ]
Tough Enhanced Ability 1 (Stamina +1; Flaw: Permanent) [ 2 PP ]
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

GNOME
Binomial: Homo sapiens pygmaei
Planet of Origin: Alpha Canis Minoris

Gnomes are a demihuman species and the fifth most common species within the Solar Kingdom.

Adult Gnomes are on average much shorter than humans (~90-100cm) and like Dwarves have upper bodies that are proportionately larger than their lower bodies compared to Humans. Their skin color varies in a similar fashion to humans, with colors ranging from pale pink to light brown. Gnomes have an average life expectancy of 500 years. Gnomes have a highly efficient immune system which makes them resistant to most diseases.

Gnomes are mammals, and their body hair is thicker and more dense than most Humans. Male Gnomes often sport short, thick beards and tend to lose the hair on their heads quite young, often visibly balding before the exit puberty; Female Gnomes do not grow facial hair and the heair on top of their heads is usually very fine and thick, growing quickly, as a result they tend to wear their hair tied up in elaborate buns or braids.

Many Human biologists theorize an evolutionary link between Gnomes and Dwarves, although this has never been proven. There are no known subspecies of Gnomes.

Species Package:

Powers
Heightened Senses Senses 2 (Visual: Low-Light Vision) [ 1 PP ]
Small Size Shrinking 4 (Extras: Innate [1]; Flaws: Permanent +0) [ 9 PP ]
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

HALFLING
Binomial: Homo sapiens dimidia
Planet of Origin: Alpha Centauri, 61 Cygni

Halflings are a demihuman species and the second most common species within the Solar Kingdom.

Adult Halfling are on average exactly half the height and weight of adult Humans, but unlike Dwarves or Gnomes their body proportions are exactly like that of Humans. Their skin color varies from pale pink to light brown, although swarthy and dusky tones are the most common. Halflings have an average life expectancy of 60 years and grow to maturity at roughly twice the rate of Humans.

Halflings are mammals, almost identical to Humans except for their size and rapid aging.

Many Human and Halfling biologists theorize an evolutionary link between the two species, but this has yet to been proven. There are no known subspecies of Halflings.

Species Package:

Powers
Small Size Shrinking 4 (Extras: Innate [1]; Flaws: Permanent +0) [ 9 PP ]
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

HUMAN
Binomial: Homo sapiens sapiens
Planet of Origin: Earth

Humans are the most common sapient species within the Solar Kingdom. Do I really need to explain this species to you?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 pm Do I really need to explain this species to you?
I'd like it if someone did, one of these days.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:50 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 pm Do I really need to explain this species to you?
I'd like it if someone did, one of these days.
Fair point.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 pm Image

DWARF
Binomial: Homo sapiens saxa
Planet of Origin: Alpha Canis Majoris

Dwarves, or Dwarfs, are a demihuman species and the third most common species within the Solar Kingdom.

Adult Dwarves are on average shorter than humans (~120cm) unlike humans with achondroplasia or growth hormone deficiency, true Dwarves have upper bodies that are proportionately larger than their lower bodies compared to Humans. Their skin color varies in a similar fashion to humans, with colors ranging from pale pink to light brown. Dwarves have an average life expectancy of 300 years, on average. Dwarfs see in a broader spectrum than Humans, which allows them to have natural thermographic vision. In addition, Dwarves have a more efficient immune system than humans do, which makes them resistant to most diseases and toxins.

Dwarves are mammals, and their body hair is thicker and more dense than most Humans. Male Dwarves often sport thick and well groomed beards and female Dwarves tend to favor long sideburns and thick braids. In most Dwarf populations, the hair is slightly wavy or curly, but in some it can also be fine and straight.

There are no known subspecies of Dwarves.

Species Package:
Powers
Thermographic Vision Senses 2 (Visual: Infravision) [ 2 PP ]
Tough Enhanced Ability 1 (Stamina +1; Flaw: Permanent) [ 2 PP ]
One of my favorite Non-human species of all time, their not only the snazziest dresser's in the Galaxy(just Look at that Majestic Beard!) but the most Machiavellian of players of "The Great Game"(to quote The Dragon Age franchise)...
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:22 am And so the Union of Worlds came to Earth.

At that time, humanity was still limited to just their single world. Earth had just achieved nuclear fission and begun to launch crude radio satellites into orbit around their own world, but had fallen into a state of constant national bickering on the break of thermonuclear conflict. It was at this time that the ælves arrived in their sleek, cigar-shaped ships and made an offer to one of the most powerful national groups on the planet, the Commonwealth of Nations and its head, King Edward VIII**.
ROUGH TIMELINE
  • -8000: Union of Worlds founded.
  • 1900: Orc-Union War begins.
  • 1935: Ælves contact United Kingdom
So, subtle changes in the history of humanity even prior to the arrival of the Ælves? Because "Earth had just achieved nuclear fission and begun to launch crude radio satellites into orbit around their own world, but had fallen into a state of constant national bickering on the break of thermonuclear conflict" sounds like the late 1950s. King Edward VIII, was crowned and abdicated in 1936. But you say it was 1935. Interesting....
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Well, it’s only a rough timeline that I jotted down so that I could keep the major events in order as I wrote this. But, yeah, the general idea is that the Elves had been monitoring Earth for some time, but avoided formal first contact with us until their war with the Orcs got so desperate that they recruited Humans. That contact occurred just around the time that World War II should have been kicking off in our timeline.

The “present day” of the setting is also in the early 31st Century, so the average man on the street is probably a bit fuzzy about the historical intricacies of the events of the early 20th Century.

(Yeah! That’s the ticket! I didn’t make any mistakes! I did it on purpose... Yeah!)

But, mostly I wanted there to be a “excuse” to have my space opera setting have the veneer of courtly aristocracy and feudal futurism. Because I thought it’d be neat to have everyone running around in fancy clothes, calling each other “Sir Soandso” or “Baron Soforth,” and having giant mecha that looked like the steam-punk version of the Knights of the Round Table.

Plus the idea that a bunch of alien Elves and Dwarves would assume that the British Empire was the most important nation on Earth and that the Americans and the Soviets were incomprehensible (and possibly insane) just plain amused me.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:20 pm Plus the idea that a bunch of alien Elves and Dwarves would assume that the British Empire was the most important nation on Earth and that the Americans and the Soviets were incomprehensible (and possibly insane)
And the British would, of course, agree with their new extra-terrestrial friends on all of these counts.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.