Freedom by Gaslight (3rd edition)

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Jabroniville

Re: Freedom by Gaslight (3rd edition)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh neat! I never see the Settings section of the boards, but this seems fun. I didn't realize we had another GR staffer around.
That Sullivan Guy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:37 pm Anywho, like many such fanzines and many such discussions, the proposed super rpg fanzine is apparently going to be vaporware (or whatever the fanzine version of that is). However, I had already finished putting together the now nomadic article. In retrospect, this is probably for the best as the material from Worlds of Freedom *is* GR's IP and even in a free publication I would have had to talk to GR and Crystal to get their permission and such and I really don't feel like going through all that. The article's inspiration and writing aside, I'm pretty much out of the industry and don't want to do anything in any formal context with GR or any other company and its representatives. Been there, done that, have the scars and the bad memories to show for it.
Ouch- didn't realize you'd been burned there.
Ronin Army's forums, conversely and IMO, has all the creativity and energy of the underwear aisle at K-Mart round about 2 AM, coupled with the constant concern that a wrong word or the hint of discontent will see the entire forum dustbinned or at a minimum see the board's participants harangued at length with the threat of such; I only skim there on occasion to see if there are any official announcements I may or may not be interested in.
WELL looks like you've a talent for foresight. Any advice on when I should rebook my Disney World vacation? Lottery numbers :)?

And RPG.Net is a virulent cesspool I've avoided for years. Shudder.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That Sullivan Guy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:37 pm
Why here? Because I lurk hereabouts with some frequency and enjoy the work of the people who post here: there's excitement for the game, creative energies shown in a dozen different threads, and the back-and-forth of differing ideas and opinions being bandied about and discussed in interesting ways. I love me some colorful discussion on nerdly topics, as long as it doesn't degenerate into Troll Farm territory (which the admin keeps from happening here).

Ronin Army's forums, conversely and IMO, has all the creativity and energy of the underwear aisle at K-Mart round about 2 AM, coupled with the constant concern that a wrong word or the hint of discontent will see the entire forum dustbinned or at a minimum see the board's participants harangued at length with the threat of such; I only skim there on occasion to see if there are any official announcements I may or may not be interested in.

And RPG.Net is a virulent cesspool I've avoided for years. Shudder.

<>Admin<> if this is the wrong place for this material, just let me know and I'll move it.
Hey there! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread, I'm really digging it so far. I'd just like to say thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying Echoes. This is the perfect spot for this thread, so no worries there either.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
That Sullivan Guy

Post by That Sullivan Guy »

Hey there! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread, I'm really digging it so far. I'd just like to say thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying Echoes. This is the perfect spot for this thread, so no worries there either.
Coolness. I have a couple more threads to eventually add around here (My home-brew Earth-25 DC Universe stuff, and my ALGERNON Files stuff) and I wanted to verify values of kosher. :-)
That Sullivan Guy

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:26 am Oh neat! I never see the Settings section of the boards, but this seems fun. I didn't realize we had another GR staffer around.
That Sullivan Guy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:37 pm Anywho, like many such fanzines and many such discussions, the proposed super rpg fanzine is apparently going to be vaporware (or whatever the fanzine version of that is). However, I had already finished putting together the now nomadic article. In retrospect, this is probably for the best as the material from Worlds of Freedom *is* GR's IP and even in a free publication I would have had to talk to GR and Crystal to get their permission and such and I really don't feel like going through all that. The article's inspiration and writing aside, I'm pretty much out of the industry and don't want to do anything in any formal context with GR or any other company and its representatives. Been there, done that, have the scars and the bad memories to show for it.
Ouch- didn't realize you'd been burned there.
Someday I may write out the whole saga for the entertainment of others. I chalked it up to yet another life lesson or learning experience.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

More Algernon Files stuff sounds good to me.
Scrollreader

Post by Scrollreader »

"Gaunt traveled to a vampire-infested town in Maine where he and his companions explosively collapsed the focal point of the vampires’ devil-worshipping master’s power"

Is that a Salem's Lot/White Worm reference I see hidden in there? Regardless, this is excellent stuff, and highly useful for time travel shenanigans for the game I run.
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

That was very neat and. a lot of fun. I love historical superhero settings - Victorian, Wild West, American Revolution, Pirates, etc. - and those are all very cool characters. You've even moderately tempted me to consider looking at 3rd ed Mutants & Masterminds (which I've stubbornly avoided all this time, sticking with 2nd ed).
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
That Sullivan Guy

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:14 am More Algernon Files stuff sounds good to me.
Good. I'm about to post a metric crapton of it in this sub-forum. :D
That Sullivan Guy

Scrollreader wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:10 am "Gaunt traveled to a vampire-infested town in Maine where he and his companions explosively collapsed the focal point of the vampires’ devil-worshipping master’s power"

Is that a Salem's Lot/White Worm reference I see hidden in there? Regardless, this is excellent stuff, and highly useful for time travel shenanigans for the game I run.
It's historical predecessor "Jerusalem's Lot" from King's short story compilation Night Shift, but yeah, same locale. While I like me some Doyle, King actually used him some pseudo-Lovecraft in the short story. King is a big Lovecraft fan. :)

Davies

Post by Davies »

That Sullivan Guy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:04 pm
RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:14 am More Algernon Files stuff sounds good to me.
Good. I'm about to post a metric crapton of it in this sub-forum. :D
Yay. :D
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
That Sullivan Guy

Okay, got the ball rolling. You can go peek at the thread "A.L.G.E.R.N.O.N. Files and Related."