On the topic of California

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Ares
Site Admin

On the topic of California

Post by Ares » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:04 pm

So, the state of California has come up a few times videos I've seen and articles I've been sent. Amongst said articles are this older one from 2015-

https://thetechreader.com/top-ten/top-t ... r-move-to/

and this newer one from this year-

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/o ... nightmare/

If the data here is accurate, it doesn't paint a very good picture of the State.

There's also been some discussion about California giving illegal immigrants drivers licenses, and then enacting a law that automatically registers voters who obtain or renew a driver's license. According to a Snopes article I've found, the issue is a bit more muddled, because the wording of the law does not officially give illegal immigrants the right to vote, critics fear that such illegals could use loopholes to obtain such rights.

The latter issue is very concerning, as any State that would basically give people who are not citizens of this country one of the primary benefit and responsibility of this country, that being the right to vote and shape the leadership and laws of said country, is troubling.

So as I've done lately whenever I've got a conundrum I've decided to turn this over to you folks and get your input. I've only visited California a couple of times, so I can't speak with any real authority on the issue, but perhaps some of you are more informed.

Spectrum

Re: On the topic of California

Post by Spectrum » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I find it fascinating that..

On one hand, one of the local cities ran into some issues a few years ago when it decided to actually enforce immigration law by making employers and housing do green card/citizenship checks. Several lawsuits later, and it was declared that only the federal government could enforce immigration law.. or not.

On the other hand, we have entire states.. like California, that feel free to ignore immigration law.. and it's pretty much ignored.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

FuzzyBoots

Re: On the topic of California

Post by FuzzyBoots » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 am

For those curious, I think this is the Snopes article in question, which discusses a measure to allow non-citizen parents of citizen children to vote in local school board elections.