The Box Office Topic

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
M4C8

Re: The Box Office Topic

Post by M4C8 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Chris Brady wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:46 am
The problem with Frozen and Wonder Woman is that they weren't all that great as films, but what came before them was even worse.

Even a bad meal can taste like ambrosia if you're starving.

That's not to say they were bad, but they were no where near as good as people claimed they were.
As much as I love super hero movies I found Wonder Woman and definitely Black Panther to be mediocre at best.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:48 pm

The more I watch Black Panther the more racist I found it.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 am

Negative comments about Frozen?? DEAD TO ME.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 am
Negative comments about Frozen?? DEAD TO ME.
:lol:

It's not a terrible film, I liked it. But it wasn't the best thing evah.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 am

So Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms bombed pretty hard, to the surprise of nobody. This whole "Normal Girl Goes Off Into A Strange World" genre REALLY needs to die for a few years, because Disney keeps bombing with it- A Wrinkle In Time and most notably Alice in Wonderland: Through The Looking Glass lost a TON of money, too.

The boring trailers didn't help- a few cool-looking set pieces, but the generic "Let's do a pop song at 1/4 speed with a female singer" thing is REALLY played out.

Too bad, too, because this was Misty Copeland's first mainstream role, and HOLY GOD is she the perfect woman. Sooooooo pretttyyyyy...

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 am
So Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms bombed pretty hard, to the surprise of nobody. This whole "Normal Girl Goes Off Into A Strange World" genre REALLY needs to die for a few years, because Disney keeps bombing with it- A Wrinkle In Time and most notably Alice in Wonderland: Through The Looking Glass lost a TON of money, too.

The boring trailers didn't help- a few cool-looking set pieces, but the generic "Let's do a pop song at 1/4 speed with a female singer" thing is REALLY played out.

Too bad, too, because this was Misty Copeland's first mainstream role, and HOLY GOD is she the perfect woman. Sooooooo pretttyyyyy...
Also, they really didn't advertise it all that well, at least not overseas.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

Corrigon

Post by Corrigon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Took my youngest to see Nutcracker; its an odd film, using the ballet to explain the backstory, but at the same time the very standard safe tropes of a lot of Disney movies. It passed the time, but hardly lingered long in the memory.

Overall, it felt very lazy and considering the poor advertising for it, mostly it came across as well, we made it, so we really should put it out there, but we have no faith in it.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 am

Wreck-It Ralph 2 is doing very well, apparently in line with Moana, which itself did well but not, like, DISNEY TOP-TIER well. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up- it reviewed about as well as most Disney films (86-90%), but didn't seem to have many OUTSTANDING reviews.