[3E IC] The J.V. Team

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
User avatar
catsi563
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by catsi563 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Titaness
Irene Darrow
HP: 1; Condition: Giant Bit o snark

"Given the timeframe, and how women were treated around those years quite probably both."
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:17 am

Gamemaster

To Cindy, Kelvin flashes a smile. "Ah, that will be dealt with in the final room. But I'll give you a hint... it took someone legendary in her field to take her down. As for her past, well," he trails off with a short shrug.
"I could tell you that she was previously a warrior queen. Cleopatra, or Amelia Earhart, and there'd be no real way of proving it. As for Hazel, well, that case was much more clear-cut. She was turned by one Christopher Carradine, or at least that was the name he was using. There was something... personal in the vendetta that Lenore pursued. Or perhaps it was just pragmatic. As you might imagine, much of humanity tends to go for torches, pitchforks, and wooden stakes with the slightest sign of a vampire. It's probably something primal... but it might also just be the practical. If every vampire can others into vampires, well, I'm sure you're familiar with the mathematics of exponential growth. In any account, Carradine was careless, and created Hazel, and Lenore had him killed for it, arranging for Hepcat to find him. And when Hazel awoke, it was to find that her erstwhile sire had been destroyed."

He spreads his hands slightly to forestall further questions.
"Two more rooms and the tour will be done. And probably not a moment too soon... I still have some bookkeeping to do before opening." He walks up and around the corner, to a wider room with a variety of mannequins sitting in a diorama of a nightclub.
"Not long after Lenore was reborn, and with the help of the younger, more contemporary, vampire, Lenore forged Eclipse from the abandoned student center. Lenore claims that she experienced all extremes from famine to excess, and much preferred the option of excess. I believe she had some cross words regarding major world religions that emphasized deprivation as something like to holiness. Or perhaps she had just gotten bored, or was looking for more variety in her diet. It was not that she lacked for volunteers."
Kelvin walks over to a mural showing a young man offering his neck to a stylized Lenore, a shadowy figure watching from one side with hungry red glowing eyes. As Kelvin stands next to the mural, the similarity of the man in the mural and the man before you is clear despite the years.
"We were her acolytes, communion, flesh and blood to sustain her. And in return... well, as you can see, I own a sweet nightclub." Kelvin chuckles, although there's a sheen of sadness in his eyes. "And there was more. We were stronger, faster, healthier, all because she shared some of her power with us. We had some of the strengths of the vampire, but without the weaknesses. I won't say it didn't have its drawbacks. Part of what vampire's blood does is eradicate all disease and poison in your blood. In this building of hedonism, drugs were not an option for us. Blood... well, I never experimented with it, but Queenie claimed that it was better than drugs. I dunno... she always was a bit off. Anyhow, that was many years ago. I keep in good shape, but I am past my salad days. I can enjoy a good bourbon now, but age has caught up with me. Truth is, most of us never would have expected to live this long." He stops, his eyes distant.

With a shake of his head, he comes back to himself.
"Next room, perhaps it will answer your questions of what happened to Lenore." At the other end of the room is another ornate steel gate, much like the entrance in the club. Kelvin pulled out another key and unlocked it, stepping past the threshold and then a dozen feet more around a curve, then paused for them to catch up. The following room is decked out as a chapel with rows of pews on the floor, backlit stained-glass windows along the walls, and an altar at the end. The room is dimly lit by flickering electric candles. Kelvin does a slight bob of his head toward the altar end, and then turned to the students.
"I mentioned that people believe the nightclub to be a deconsecrated church, and there's a nugget of truth to it. We're not certain what the original owners used this for. After all, there was never a period of persecution like the Christians faced in Rome, but for whatever reason, this was built. It is the real thing too, according to one priest we brought down. Here was the place that Lenore could not voluntarily go. She claimed that she kept it preserved to remind her of what she had given up, there being nothing after unlife is ended, but the way that she always made sure that we knew she couldn't enter... I think maybe she felt we needed a safe space should the hunger ever overcome her. Not that we ever needed it that way."
A brief down the center and he's at the foot of the altar. He goes to one knee, and mutters something under his breath before rising and turning back.
"Now, back to the old question, any guesses for who it was that Lenore faced down in this chapel? I'll give you a hint... he had a book that you may have read in school."

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2701
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am

Tough Stuff
Image
HP: 2
Status: Whoa x2!
----------

She listened enthralled as he continued his tour and went on and on about his past associations with the vampires. If all history lessons could be done like this, then she'd have a way better mark then she did right now. There was no way she'd allow herself to have a bad grade for the project by this point, it was simply just too cool for it to be less then perfect! His sudden question at the end actually made her try to think about it for a moment or two longer then usual, though there were only a few heroes she could picture fighting Lenore. "Erm... Was it The Raven?"
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by FuzzyBoots » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:41 am

Gamemaster

Kelvin chuckles and says, "No, but he was a formidable foe, those times that they weren't allies of course."

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2701
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 am

Tough Stuff
Image
HP: 2
Status: Got's nothin
----------

She shrugged, having tried her hardest. Maybe Josh or Bolts for brains knows. Maybe Irene...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Skølldir

Post by Camus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05 pm

The young man flip open his laptop and quickly punched a few keys in his enhanced search engine. The keywords he used were= hero, holy, 1970, church or chapel. Parkwood that would bring up some names. As much as he would like to know some names, Skølldir couldn't get himself to be interested in such frivolous matters, or so he told to himself.
Ooc you need me to roll something?
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Skølldir

Post by Camus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm

The screen reflects in the young inventors glasses, as he sweeps the internet for information. After a few minutes, he exhales, closing his eyes. With a tired hand he closes his laptop, with solemnity. His hands intertwine in front of his face as he leans forward in his chair. Opening his eyes he looks at Kelvin.
"Well, I found three candidates, but not before searching everything that there is to be searched. I can tell it is a secret well kept, which makes me suspicious. Regardless, the suspects are Hepcat, Nightrage and Hexenhammer. Hepcat would be my suspect number one, because he was an active hero at the time, while the time frame of the other two is not a perfect match. He is also referenced as the one defeating the vampire at the chapel in the catacombs." he makes an eye roll. "To stave off the bloodlust of the angered Lizardfolk." he quotes in disbelief.
Leaning back on his chair, he lets his right hand rest while his left draws a patter in the air. "But you see these things tend to be more complicated more often than not. Nightrage would be the only suspect I would discard, as he was active in the 80s. I believe Hexenhammer is the one. He has a fame of delivering swift punishment to those delving in dark arts and the like. Also, with a strong organization as Leonore had, I think his ability to teleport and attack from the shadows would give him the edge. Hepcat would have had a hard time fighting off all the vampires, while Hexenhammer could have simply corner Leonore when she was most vulnerable."
He lets his left arm rest as well, before rising both eyebrows in surrender. "Truth is I cannot know for sure, but I guess I didnt throw my stone too far away."
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:41 am

Gamemaster

It might be a trick of the light, but it seems like Kelvin flinches slightly with the mention of Hepcat.
"Well," Kelvin says, "Those are all good guesses, but the answer is much simpler. Just let me bring you to the next room..."
Around the next corner, you walk into a room that is decked out as a chapel, complete with pews, stained glass windows on the sides, an altar on the back, all lit with flickering candles including one glowing ominously red in a ceiling-suspended holder in the back. Kelvin strides down the center aisle, and then turns, raising his arms dramatically.

"Lenore had drawn the ire of a vampire many of you may be familiar with, but thought just fictional. Yes, she had the attention of the Romanian Devil, the man that Bram Stoker called Dracula," he intones, "For, you see, Dracula had decided that Lenore was either a growing threat to him, or that she would be his bride. She fought him, tooth and nail, but the weight of years was brought down upon her and eventually, she was forced here, a catacomb from the days when Catholics were driven underground by the predominant Protestants, an area still consecrated despite disuse. And there, she was forced to stand as the holy nature of the ground, eroded away at her."
Kelvin, somewhat melodramatically, shudders down to a kneeling position, shaking as if some great energy was attacking him.
"And then. She fell." He looks for a moment as if he's considering dropping down to a supine position, before he instead stands, with a lack of ease.
"Dracula, as you might know, was driven from the area by The Raven, who arrived too late, only to find Lenore's ashes, which he took to secure against the chance that one day, she might return. We have held vigil, all these years, because we believe she may yet come back to us." His last words are said with a desperate longing, and he holds a position, with one hand reached heavenward for a few seconds before he sighs and retracts it.

"But, well, that is the story," he says, returning to a more normal tone of voice, "Thank you for letting my ham it up. I usually leave the tour to others, local actors looking for work. It feels good to be able to read that script again. I—" He pauses, as the candles suddenly flicker and some go out, as if extinguished.
"Ah... don't worry. Everything is under complete control. Just stay still if lights—" At this moment, every candle suddenly extinguishes and there's a loud thunk toward where you entered.

"Don't worry," Kelvin says, sounding more worried, "Everything is just..." as he trails off, the darkness is broken by palely glowing red eyes, one by one, in the periphery, at least a dozen surrounding you.
"Wait... this isn't supposed to—" Kelvin's voice is cut off suddenly, and you're suddenly very aware of all of the myriad sounds in this completely dark room.
OOC wrote:A Knowledge (religion) check of 15 will recognize this as a standard church layout, with the red light being a candle traditionally lit to show the presence of consecrated hosts, and thereby Jesus. Cindy, by virtue of her stated background of a Catholic, gets it without a check. A DC 20 Perception check reveals that the "candles" are likely all electronic simulations of flame. Or if you feel that a particular skill makes more sense, let me know, as usual, and I'll decide whether it does, indeed, make sense.

If you decide to do something combative, roll initiative. Oh, and Cindy, you have a DC 15 Will save over the spooky ongoings, and take a Hero Point.

We're near the end of this segment, thank goodness. Sorry it's dragged on so long.

User avatar
catsi563
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by catsi563 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 am

Titaness
Irene Darrow
HP: 1; Condition: Giant Bit o light

Irene wanted to say something about Nightrage being the culprit but kevins explanation of Dracula cut her throught process off. She was basically listening when the lights when out and things took a turn for the darker.

When they did she instinctively expanded in height about three and half feet making sure to bend at the knees so she didn't concuss herself on the ceiling, the lightning arcing across her body provided a small bit of light around her.

"Kev you ok?"

Go up slow to about 10 foot height add a little glow to the mix :)

Initiative just for funsises _: 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2701
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:23 am

Tough Stuff
Image
HP: 3
Status: Totally absolutely not freaking out
----------

Will: 6 Yep, that's one spooked up Cindy.

"H-hey, what, what's going on?" The girl starts, her voice clipped as she tries to suppress the shudder creeping up her spine. "This is.... just all part of the tour, right? Ahahah... Really, really good one! I can see why this place is a hit...! Ahah... hah..."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2161
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by EpicEclipse » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Image
MAVERICK (Joshua Crowe)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Joshua was following along, bored as one might expect in a teenager not overly interested in the subject matter of the project. The hammy nature of the tour wasn't helping his disposition, he was leaving it more to Cindy's enthusiasm and Olev's braininess to pull them through.

The lights going out and Kelvin's sudden apparent concern about things happening that should not be was concerning though and snapped Joshua out of the siesta his brain seemed to be taking as he instinctively goes for the mask and UV flashlight in his pack, the lenses in the mask being specially designed to pick up UV light frequencies, allowing him to see in the otherwise darkened room with the help of the "invisible" light from his flashlight. "Everyone form up on Kelvin." His voice comes out slightly modified out of the mask, thanks to the voice mod built-in. The tone drops an octave and has a distinct, yet small mechanical edge to it.

Mentally going over what extremely limited inventory of equipment he had on hand, Maverick figured he was going to have to rely mainly on close-quarters combat if it came to it as he lowered himself slightly into a defensive stance. At least he could see in the dark...sort of. At least where he was shining the beam of UV light as he swept the beam around the room to try and see what they were dealing with.
Perception: 1d20+4 9
Initiative: 1d20+5 8

He's just putting on the mask part of his costume which houses the UV lenses and Voice Mask. Well, also communicator, but that's irrelevant at the moment since I don't think anyone else has one on them. :P His array is set to Counter Stance

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Skølldir

Post by Camus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 pm

"Oh no..." the young man says, as he pushes his chair towards where he thought Kelvin was, not before dropping a bomb from the back of his chair. When able, Skoldir will make the bomb switch to the static charge and blow up. It should light up the place.

ooc:
Initiative 12 http://orokos.com/roll/755898
Perception 10 http://orokos.com/roll/755902
Skoldir summons a Fantastiske turbomber. The bomb inititive is 14 http://orokos.com/roll/755907 It comes into play hidden with a 17 http://orokos.com/roll/755904
Gee these rolls....
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [3E IC] The J.V. Team

Post by FuzzyBoots » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Gamemaster

A low hissing growl sounds from the periphery of the room. Cindy, suddenly flashing back to her nightmares of the night before and all of the horrors her mind can conjure, finds herself barely able to move, barely able to breathe. Meanwhile, around her, the team snaps into action, Skølldir dropping a drone, Titaness growing, the flickering lightning around her body faintly illuminating the area, and multiplying the terrible shadows to legion, Maverick pulling out a mask and flashlight which induces a million leprous flashes of light, disjointed faces and what looks to be spills of fluids as it bounces around the room... somewhere out in the middle of the room, Kelvin lets out a muffled pained grunt.
OOC wrote:Initiative
Turbomber - 14 (Commanded to switch to static charge mode)
Mooks - 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13
Skølldir - 12
Titaness - 10
Maverick - 8
Cindy - ? (Stunned)

Two ranks of failure is leaving Cindy stunned in fear.

At the top of the next turn, the robot arms itself and then stops, waiting for its condition to happen. And the mooks start to pull Kelvin back toward the back of the room.

If Titaness wants to do something more last turn, she can, otherwise, I think Skølldir is up.

Post Reply