Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MacynSnow

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 am

Nunya B wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 am
I can see your argument for "THE SWORD" as a power over the Style idea.But allow me to use a slight counter argument...The sword Excalibur had all that power and Arthur still died when he was dealt a killing blow by Lance-de-Locke (i like the french version of Lancealot's name better than the Americanization,it sounds cooler) using a regular sword.Lance was,according to 99% of all the books i've read,one of the Finest Swordsmen in the group Second only to Gwain The Green.No Powers,just pure skill and advantages(and maybe a Hero Point)...
By my understanding of Arthurian myth, Arthur had lost Excalibur and its scabbard when he was fatally wounded and was instead using a spear.
Then again, I thought Mordred was the one who killed Arthur, so I may be rusty there.
Mordred did kill him,Lance had fatally wounded him prior to his run-in with his traitorous son,so he was dying ergardless of who finished him off.
Just remember though that it was Lance who disarmed him,otherwise Mordred would've been beat like a rug on a line...

Jabroniville

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:11 am

The Knights of the Round Table have worse continuity than the Greek Gods- I don't think the specifics can be remotely determined :).

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah, whatever the truth behind the figure(s) who inspired the Arthurian legends, the stories themselves vary WILDLY in their details, and then there is a huge break between the Medieval tales and then the revival in later centuries (after a period where the stories died down in popularity). Mordred is variously Arthur's half-brother or his son/nephew by Morgan Le Fey (either his sister or half-sister); the Welsh stories mention Arthur having THREE Queens in succession, rather than simply Guinevere; either the Lady of the Lake gifted Arthur with Caliburn/Excalibur when he came of age in Avalon or he drew it from the stone when he grew up as an adopted brother of Kay in proto-Britain; and so on.

Many, many ages later, in the modern era, the descendants of the Arthurian myth purveyors became DC Comics editors. :D

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:32 pm

That's why i perfer the concept "The Man makes the Weapon".As powerful as Caliburn/Excalibur was supposed to be,if you don't have the actual training then your just swinging around a large hunk of metal...