The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Ashwara Raksha, Harrison Champion]

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Threnody, The Clockwork Man]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:11 am

The Clockwork Man
The exact origins of the Clockwork Man remain something of a mystery. He was found in an underground laboratory on the coast of Africa by a team of archaeologists some seventy years ago. In fact, he was part of the cache that kickstarted the burst of technological innovation that has led to the current advancements that transform the world daily. Initially studied and examined, it was only when the Clockwork Man was about to be dismantled that a scientist accidentally activated him. Through trial and error, they determined that the Clockwork Man had his own intelligence and understanding, a mind of his own, but that there had been damage to his programming over the millennia. He no longer remembered his primary purpose, or his origins, nor could he reliably translate the hieroglyphs or writing that decorated the lab and the objects found therein. For some time, the Clockwork Man was the darling of society, called upon to perform before royalty, gracing salons across Europe, and so on. But as human ingenuity and technology caught up to him, and even surpassed him, he fell by the wayside. Invited at some point to join the Strangers Club, he took them up on their offer and now resides in the club house. He serves primarily as the chief recorder of tales and librarian, but when called upon to defend the Club, he can still fight quite ably.

Indeed, it is clear that the Clockwork Man was built as a war machine. As to whether he is unique, or part of an army built by the ancients, he does not know. He is curious about his origins, and took up the role of librarian in part because the Strangers Club has access to so much esoteric knowledge.
PL: 10
Abilities: STR: 10/30 (-/+10) DEX: 10 (-) CON: - (-) INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 10 (-)
Skills: Climb 4
Disable Device 4 (+7)
Gather Information 4
Knowledge: Physical Science 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Technology 4 (+7)
Notice 4 (+6)
Feats: Beginner’s Luck
Eidetic Memory
Withstand Damage
Powers: Blast 10
Density 10 [Toughness +5, Immovable 3, Super-Strength 3; Buoyant, Reflective]
  • DAP: Insubstantial 4 [Incorporeal; No Effective Strength]
  • DAP: Strike 10 [Affects Corporeal]
Flight 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
Immunity 30 [Fortitude Saves]
Protection 5
Combat: Attack +10 [Blast DC 25, Strike DC 25, Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +0
Saves: Toughness +5/+10, Fortitude -, Reflex +4, Will +6
Description: The Clockwork Man is an artificial being built in the shape of a human. He stands about six and a half feet tall, bronze in color, with the form of a robustly built man. His face is an expressionless mask, with orange crystals for eyes and a black slot for a mouth. The segments of his body that allow him the full range of human movement make him resemble a Medieval knight in armor, and though he does not need to wear clothing, he commonly dresses in a dark purple tunic and cloak with hood. Secreted within his chest is a gravimetric drive, the pinnacle of Atlantean technology. The drive powers the Clockwork Man, even after ten thousand years beneath the Moroccan desert, and it also allows him to alter his density. He can increase it a hundredfold, becoming diamond hard, super strong and incredibly durable. Alternatively, he can decrease his density, diffusing his atoms and allowing him to become virtually insubstantial. In this form, he attacks by piercing foes with his ghostly hands and then partially solidifying them, causing great harm. The gravimetric drive also allows the Clockwork Man to defy gravity and fly through the air, at about the speed of a fast carriage. And he can generate a pulse of gravitic energy from his eye crystals that can punch through steel plate.

Under the Hood
The idea of strangely advanced technology found beneath the sands of North Africa and catalyzing an alternate timeline I totally stole from Mary Gentle's Ash series, which features a highly advanced Carthaginian civilization lead by pyramid-sized artificial intelligences fighting a war against a Medieval band of European mercenaries. I have long used a dead Atlantis as a source of advanced tech and character concepts in my M&M games, so it wasn't difficult to combine the two ideas. The Clockwork Man, as an ancient artifact and a relic from the 18th century, is meant to introduce a little clockpunk into the steampunk setting.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Minerva, Samson Cooper]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 am

Minerva, Diana Wilmington
Minerva, the Lady of Marvels, hails from Dynamo City, on the dark side of the moon. There a race of genetically perfect and scientifically advanced beings live in a city powered entirely by electricity, served by automechanical slaves and subsisting on electricity itself.

Or so the broadsheets claim, as they advertise Minerva’s traveling show and demonstration of electrical power and her own incredible abilities. But “Minerva” is just a stage persona invented by Diana Wilmington, a young woman from Kent. Diana’s father, the brilliant scientist and electrician Dr. Henry Wilmington, experimented upon his daughter when she was but a child, forcing her to drink a variety of alchemical concoctions and bombarding her with electricity. Over the course of years and then decades, Diana’s physical form was strengthened, transformed, made superhuman. But she learned to hate her father and the cruel tortures that his experiments inflicted upon her. When she was sixteen, she rebelled, and accidentally destroyed her home, including her father’s lab, in the process killing him and her mother. She fled, making her way in the world using her natural talents, at first surviving through thievery, until falling in with a traveling actor’s troupe. Since then, it has been the life of a performer for her, and she makes a decent wage. But true happiness yet eludes her, as does any sense of fulfillment. Invited into the Stranger’s Club, she has taken John Albion up on his offer, and it may be as club member that her true calling shall come to her.
Abilities: STR: 10/34 (-/+12) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 10/34 (-/+12) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+7)
Diplomacy 4 (+7)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Knowledge: Civics 4 (+5)
Knowledge: History 4 (+5)
Knowledge: Physical Science 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Tactics 4 (+5)
Notice 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Attractive 1
Diehard
Improved Aim
Improved Initiative 1
Interpose
Power Attack
Stunning Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Withstand Damage
Powers: Enhanced CON 24
Enhanced STR 24
  • AP: Absorption 12 [Energy, Healing; Power Magnet; Personal; Limited (Electricity)]
  • AP: Blast 12
  • AP: Dazzle 12 [Visual Senses]
  • AP: Strike 10 [Burst Area]
Impervious Toughness 12
Super-Strength 5 [Heavy Load 44.8 tons]
  • AP: Flight 5 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]
Combat: Attack +8 [Unarmed DC 27, Blast DC 27, Dazzle DC 22, Strike DC 27], Defense +8, Init +7
Saves: Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Reflex +6, Will +6
Description: Tall, well proportioned, and very attractive, Diana has long blonde hair and cool blue eyes that occasionally spark with electric light. In her civilian persona of mild-mannered Diana Wilmington she dresses conservatively like any Victorian woman of good breeding. When performing (or “adventuring”) as the Lady of Marvels, Diana dresses in a bright white tunic, with accents of Romanesque armor and jewelry, including bracers, a tiara, and greaves. It’s rather scandalous, but that’s part of the theatricality of it. Superhumanly strong and virtually invulnerable, Diana can also fly as fast as the fastest locomotive. She can generate a bolt of lightning from her hands, blind someone with a burst of electric light, or unleash a wave of electricity in a circle around her. She can also absorb ambient electricity, healing herself of any wounds in the process.

Under the Hood
Its not terribly original, but I thought it would be a neat idea to subvert expectations with this character. In a superhero setting, perhaps especially one based on Victorian fantasy and literature, you would expect a hidden city of advanced beings on the Moon to be completely in genre and appropriate. But its utter nonsense. Wilmington instead comes from an abusive, broken home and is most likely some kind of sociopath. Maybe the Stranger's Club can make something positive of her - although I haven't done a thing with her in the game at all.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Minerva, Samson Cooper]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:22 am

Samson Cooper, “Jackdaw”
Sam Cooper and his father were the last servants tending to the affairs of the aristocrat and inventor Sir Arthur Manx. Manx died without any surviving family, and in a surprise move, bequeathed his entire estate to his servants. There were legal difficulties in the wake of the will – former business partners and distant relatives contested it – which drew the attention of John Albion. Manx had done work for the Albion family in the past, and when Sam’s father went missing, John Albion stepped in personally to investigate. With Sam at his side, Albion quickly got to the bottom of the situation. Sam donned a flying harness, invented by Manx, to save his father. Afterward Albion, impressed by Sam’s courage and heroism, invited him to join the Stranger’s Club.
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 8 (+10)
Gather Information 4 (+6)
Knowledge: Current Events 8 (+9)
Knowledge: Technology 8 (+9)
Notice 8 (+10)
Search 8 (+9)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 8 (+10)
Feats: Accurate
Blind-Fight
Combat Pilot (Air) 1
Defensive Strike
Elusive Target
Evasion 2
Eyes in the Back of the Head
Fearless
Improved Block 1
Improved Disarm 1
Improved Initiative 1
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Quick Draw 1
Rapid Healing
Takedown Attack 2
Uncanny Dodge 2 [Vision]
Equipment 4 [Handcuffs, Multi-Tool, Parachute; Heavy Pistol, Knife, Sword]
Powers: “Boxing Prodigy” Strike 4 [Mighty]

“Flying Harness” Device 4: Hard to Lose
Flight 4 [250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd]
Immunity 3 [Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Suffocation 1]
Protection 6
Super-Senses 1 [Vision]

Combat: Attack +12 [Strike DC 23, Heavy Pistol DC 19, Knife DC 20, Sword DC 22], Defense +10, Init +6
Saves: Toughness +4/+10, Fortitude +8, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Sam Cooper is a tall, well-built young man of African descent. He is comfortable in rough homespun clothing but is gradually adjusting to more expensive fabrics. His life has been uprooted and altered and he faces racial and class prejudice almost everywhere he goes, but he unhesitatingly takes up the flying harness bequeathed him by Arthur Manx to help any and all whenever he is needed. The harness fits over Sam’s body like a suit of armor, offering defense against attack, and includes a helmet equipped with binocular goggles and a crest that aids with steering. The harness is also padded to protect the wearer from cold and atmospheric pressure and includes a limited air supply for high altitude flights. Enormous bronze and iron wings extend from the back of the harness, made to look like the feathers of some enormous black bird, but these are directional in nature. Power is provided by a steam and cavorite engine located on the back of the harness, which allows the wearer to achieve speeds greater than a locomotive. A gifted hand to hand combatant with some training in boxing, Samson also keeps a knife and a pistol on hand. Manx supplied the harness with a curved cavalry saber that Sam is not terribly comfortable with, but continues to carry just in case.

Under the Hood
"Cavorite" is of course one of the main McGuffins from the first League of Extraordinary Gentleman story, cheerfully stolen from an H.G. Wells story where the element is used to get the heroes to the moon and back. I figured I could use it as an Nth Metal to power my steampunk Falcon.

It's at this point that I start hitting characters who haven't so much as made a cameo or background appearance in the game. I just started filling in slots for characters with steampunkified versions of my favorite Avengers. I didn't try to do a comprehensive collection of them - that would quickly become unwieldy, I think, since pretty much every Marvel character has become an Avenger these days.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Fantastic Victoriana; Minerva, Samson Cooper]

Post by MacynSnow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:45 am

I like what you did for Fantastic Victoriana,as i'm a fan of the Steampunk setting(i can never find a game to play in that has it,though :( ).I Especially like your Justice Society/League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen pasteche,The Strangers Club....:D

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: The Covenant [Fantastic Victoriana; Minerva, Samson Cooper]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks! I like the aesthetic myself, and its fun trying to fit different archetypes into the basic idea.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Finn Locksley, Tatyana Pajari]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:10 am

Finn Locksley
Finn is London born and bred, and though he was born into the upper class and enjoyed a life of easy means, he always dreamed of doing something more. His parents indulged him, and enrolled him in the Arcaneum when he was 13. Finn had the spark needed to do great magic, and he excelled at his studies, but when some bad investments destroyed his parents’ credit, Finn had to leave the school. Forced to get a job, Finn became a part time bookkeeper for Nickleby, a wealthy merchant. Finn continued his studies as best he could, and has been drawn into the London Underworld by friends and allies. He is using his magical talents and skills to aid those in need, and finding that he really enjoys playing the hero. A bit of a rogue, with a rough edge to him but a heart of gold, Finn is always on the lookout for the next adventure. He has done some work for the Albion family in the past, which led him into a membership at the Stranger’s Club.

There he met Mei Fitzwalter, and the pair struck up a quick friendship that quickly grew into a whirlwind romance. Although his staid parents disapprove, Finn is now engaged to Miss Fitzwalter.
Abilities: STR: 10 (-) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 10 (-) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 16 (+3)
Skills: Concentration 8 (+12)
Disguise 4 (+6)
Intimidate 4 (+6)
Investigate 4 (+8)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 12 (+16)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+8)
Notice 4 (+8)
Search 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Feats: Artificer
Improved Initiative 1
Power Attack
Quick Draw 1
Ritualist
Powers: Device 2: Brooch of Shielding; Hard to Lose [Force Field 8, Immunity 2 (Poison, Disease)]
Magic 12 [Power Loss: Requires Wand; Fog of Forgetfulness]
  • AP: “Lightning Bolt” Blast 8 [Line Area (5x200 ft. line)]
  • AP: “Heal” Healing 9 [Persistent, Regrowth]
  • AP: “Dispel Magic” Nullify 8 [All Magic Powers; Shapeable Area]
  • AP: “Hold Person” Paralyze 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: “Dark Tentacles” Snare 8 [Regenerating]
  • AP: “Sleep” Stun 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: “Magic Hand” Telekinesis 8 [Damaging]
  • AP: “Dimension Door” Teleport 6 [Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Progression 3 (1000 lbs)]
Combat: Attack +12 [Blast DC 23, Paralyze DC 18, Snare DC 23, Stun DC 18, Telekinesis DC 23], Defense +12, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +0/+8, Fortitude +5, Reflex +9, Will +9
Description: Of average height and build, Finn has light brown hair, warm brown eyes, and a lopsided grin. He dresses fashionably, if a bit shabbily, and favors the color green whenever he can afford it. His prize possessions are a green bowler, which he wears everywhere, and his brooch of shielding, a pin shaped like a yeoman with a longbow that he wears on his lapel. His wand is a twelve inch length of rowan wood, inset with an emerald held in a gryphon’s claw at the base of the handle. Armed with it, he can create a variety of magical effects, which are usually accompanied by a green glow. Without a wand and the accompanying hand gestures and appropriate words, Finn can’t do any magic at all. But with the wand in hand, he is a versatile and rather powerful young wizard, and he is only growing in power and experience.

Under the Hood
His last name is Locksley because of Robin of Locksley (although the best Robin Hood is the yeoman, not the nobleman), because Finn is the "Hawkeye" in the club. I made him a Harry Potter style wand wizard because that was already a thing in the setting, an also I find that the versatility of the average M&M wizard compares favorably to the versatility of the average M&M archer. A spell for any occasion or an arrow for any occasion, the end result is often the same. I still went with D&D spell names for Finn's tricks, avoiding J.K.'s faux Latin. There's an Italian wand wizard that I will get to eventually who I went full Latin with, but as Finn was the first one, I tried for clarity over flavor.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Finn Locksley, Tatyana Pajari]

Post by Yojimbo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:16 am

Tatyana Pajari, “White Rose”
A Russian Imperial spy, Tatyana was sent to England in the wake of the Crimean War and the growth of English power around the world, with the express mission to monitor and investigate the growing strangeness among the English populace. Her first target, naturally, was the Stranger’s Club. Through wiles and subterfuge, she managed to gain an interview and a challenge which earned her a probationary membership in the club. The anarchic structure of the Stranger’s Club defies classification and keeps her continuously guessing, but she has come to respect and admire much of the core membership. In particular, her friendship with Finn Locksley and her attraction to John Albion may force her to divide her loyalties some day, but she prays that day never comes.

A student of the Russian known as the Grandmaster, Tatyana was indoctrinated in the Amber Room and enhanced through physical and chemical experiments to become something more than human herself.
Abilities: STR: 18 (+4) DEX: 26 (+8) CON: 18 (+4) INT: 18 (+4) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 18 (+4)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+12)
Bluff 4 (+8)
Climb 4 (+8)
Diplomacy 4 (+8)
Disable Device 12 (+16)
Gather Information 4 (+8)
Intimidate 4 (+8)
Investigate 4 (+8)
Notice 8 (+12)
Ride 4 (+12)
Search 8 (+12)
Sense Motive 8 (+12)
Stealth 4 (+12)
Feats: Accurate Attack
Attractive 1
Beginner’s Luck
Cat’s Feet
Connected
Defensive Attack
Improved Initiative 1
Low Profile 1
Power Attack
Take it in at a Glance
Well-Informed
Equipment 9 [Disguise Kit, Multi-Tool, Nightvision Goggles; Floral Armor, Wrist Guns, Wrist Launcher]
Powers: “Floral Armor” Protection 4 [Impervious, Subtle]

“Wrist Guns”
“Thorns” Stun 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: “Cryo Thorns” Paralyze 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: “Poison Thorns” Nauseate 8 [Ranged]
  • AP: “Shocker” Strike 4 [Mighty]
“Wrist Launcher” Super-Movement 3 [Slow Fall, Swinging, Wall-Crawling 1 (half speed)]
Combat: Attack +12 [Paralyze DC 18, Nauseate DC 18, Strike DC 23, Stun DC 18, Unarmed DC 19], Defense +12, Init +12
Saves: Toughness +4/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +8, Will +8
Description: Tall and athletically built, Tatyana is a staggeringly beautiful woman with long platinum blonde hair, crystal blue eyes, high cheekbones and full ruby lips. She dresses modestly, always careful to maintain her cover, but always wears her specially designed “floral armor” beneath her clothes, cunningly designed plates of metal in the shape of rose petals which are virtually undetectable under clothing but strong enough to be bulletproof. She also wears a pair of bracers which are equipped with dart guns that can stagger, freeze, or sicken opponents or fire off a cable and grappling hook that allows her considerable mobility. For close combat, the bracers can extend copper filaments charged with electricity that add considerable power to her open hand blows.

Under the Hood
And then sometimes I don't wander too far afield from the source at all. White Rose is more of a palate swap with Black Widow than a completely different character. There's at least a suggestion via the Grandmaster and the Amber Room (which is not THE Amber Room) that there's more going on here than I could be bothered to delineate originally. Maybe someday I'll send Ambrose Blackwood to Russia and fill in some of those blanks.

MacynSnow

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Finn Locksley, Tatyana Pajari]

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 am

So when Finn&Tatyana got to Budapest did anything happen?.....;)

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Finn Locksley, Tatyana Pajari]

Post by Yojimbo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 am
So when Finn&Tatyana got to Budapest did anything happen?.....;)
In this setting, Eastern Europe is probably crawling with vampires, so I would bet on something happening.

Yojimbo

Re: The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mei Fitzwalter, Bertram de Hautdesert]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 am

Slight hiccough last night. Just after I changed the title of the thread, in the middle of posting Mei Fitzwalter, my computer had an aneurysm. Sorry about that. The characters will be posted directly.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mei Fitzwalter, Bertram de Hautdesert]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 am

Mei Fitzwalter
Martin Fitzwalter, British explorer and adventurer, lived in China working for a trading concern when he ran afoul of the Black Bird Society, a revolutionary group who despised foreigners. In the course of his dealings with them, Martin killed a senior member of the society, was himself marked for death, and fell in love with his would-be assassin. She reciprocated, and the two of them fled Shanghai for the interior of China, where they managed to live for another dozen years before the past caught up with them. But it was not the Black Bird Society that found the pair. Rather it was Martin’s former superior, a powerful British lord and merchant named Cromwell. Cromwell killed them both for imagined slights and returned to England.

Unbeknownst to Cromwell, Martin and Zhou had a daughter, Mei. The girl was raised as a martial artist by her mother and taught English by her father. Discovering her parents dead, Mei tracked their killer to Shanghai and beyond to England, her father’s homeland. Using some of his old connections, she managed to finagle a place for herself in the Stranger’s Club, and now uses that as a home base while she tries to locate her parents’ murderer. She does odd jobs for spending cash, which has led to her occasionally partnering with Finn Locksley. That partnership has grown into a romance, and the two adventurers are now engaged to be married.
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 18 (+4) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12)
Climb 4 (+6)
Disable Device 12 (+13)
Escape Artist 12 (+16)
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Language 4 [Chinese (Mandarin), French, Japanese, Korean]
Notice 4 (+8)
Ride 4 (+8)
Search 8 (+9)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+8)
Stealth 8 (+12)
Swim 4 (+6)
Acrobatic Bluff
Blind-Fight
Damaging Escape
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 6
Defensive Throw
Improved Critical 1 [Strike]
Improved Initiative 1
Improved Throw
Improved Trick
Improved Trip
Instant Up
Monkey Climber
Power Attack
Precise Strike
Stunning Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Trance
Powers: Strike 3 [Mighty (Training)]
Combat: Attack +15 [Strike DC 20], Defense +12, Init +8
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +6, Reflex +12, Will +8
Description: An attractive young woman of mixed British and Chinese heritage, she has almond shaped blue eyes, a golden complexion, and long blonde hair which she usually wears in an elaborate braid. Her clothing tends to favor her Chinese heritage, and she often wears a hood or veil. Her English is heavily accented, and the more bigoted company she is in the more accented it gets. Trained in the martial arts by a former member of the Black Bird Society, Mei is an accomplished hand to hand combatant. Her style blends several different styles of Kung-Fu together and incorporates Queensbury boxing and some Greco-Roman wrestling moves as well. She is easily one of the deadliest open hand stylists in the British Isles, capable of holding her own against much larger and stronger opponents based almost entirely on skill and agility.

Under the Hood
I am not a big Mockingbird fan, but I am a huge fan of Black Canary. So Mei leans hard into the Black Canary emulation, albeit the stripped down Birds of Prey version who lacks the sonic cry. Mei is also part of the general attempt to make the Stranger's Club a diverse and multicultural group of people. Incredibly ahistorical, but then again so is steampunk technology and superpowers, so its not even the most unrealistic part of the setting.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Mei Fitzwalter, Bertram de Hautdesert]

Post by Yojimbo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 am

Bertram de Hautdesert, “the Green Knight”
The de Hautdesert family can trace itself back to the Age of Camelot and service to King Arthur, although during the intervening thousand years, proof of that connection, outside of a few moldering documents, was largely lost. Ten years ago, the youngest son of the family, a dreamer and inventor by the name of Bertram, set out to uncover his family’s ancient legacy. It took him several years, but dedication, luck, and dogged determination finally allowed him to uncover the legendary Green Chapel on the grounds of his ancestral estate.

Rising up out of the ground, the Green Chapel alone was almost enough for Bertram. But he plunged into the yawning portal that served as the door and discovered the helmet and axe of the legendary Bercilak, the original Green Knight. Taking up both and claiming them as his own, Bertram unwittingly exposed himself to the family curse and bonded himself for all time to the Green Chapel.

He now splits his time between London and the Stranger’s Club during part of the year, and communion with the Green Chapel in the Midlands during the rest of the year. Whatever mysterious force created the chapel, the axe, and the helm, now drives Bertram and urges him to do its bidding. So far, at least, such services have always been in the interests of England, the de Hautdesert family, or the common good in general. But Bertram knows, for all the Christian trappings of the Green Chapel, the site and its gifts predate Christianity by a good long while. And there are legends still of his ancestor Bercilak’s infamous deeds. Bertram fears he may succumb to temptation himself one day.

The Albion family, itself an ancient lineage with ties of its own to the Green Chapel, invited Bertram to join the Stranger’s Club.
Abilities: STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 12 (+1) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 14 (+2) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Craft: Mechanical 4 (+6)
Craft: Mystical 4 (+6)
Craft: Weapons and Armor 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Drive 8 (+9)
Handle Animal 4 (+6)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 8 (+10)
Knowledge: History 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Technology 8 (+10)
Knowledge: Theology & Philosophy 4 (+6)
Notice 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 1
Diehard
Improved Block 1
Improved Disarm 1
Improved Initiative 1
Inventor
Power Attack
Taunt
Equipment 6 [HQ: The Green Chapel, Vehicle: Flying Motorcycle]
Powers: “Great Green Axe” Device 3 [Easy to Lose, Only He Can Use; Arcane Flame, Indestructible, Summonable, Cursed (Will)]
Protection 5
Strike 6 [Affects Insubstantial 2, Incurable, Mighty]

“Horned Green Helm” Device 4 [Hard to Lose, Only He Can Use; Indestructible, Summonable]
Healing 10 [Resurrection; Personal]

Combat: Attack +12 [Unarmed DC 17, Strike DC 23], Defense +12, Init +5
Saves: Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +7, Reflex +6, Will +9/+6
Description: Bertram de Hautdesert is an unassuming young man with a shock of brown hair, a bushy beard, and the fashion sense of a schoolmaster. He is more comfortable in a laboratory or library than among other people, but the family legacy forces him to be an active participant in society. The Great Green Axe of the Green Knight is a huge weapon, requiring two hands to wield, with a single curving leaf-like blade erupting from the haft. Bertram can summon it into his hands from as much as a mile away. When holding it, his skin and hair and eyes turn green, and he is draped from neck to toe in a suit of heavy green mail with a green surcoat. The axe can cut through nearly anything and can also generate an emerald light equal to a torch in brightness. The Horned Green Helm is a closed-face great helm decorated with deer antlers, and it can heal the wearer of any affliction, up to and including death. Bertram gets around the city on a single-seat ornithopter that he built himself, modifying others’ designs.
The Green Chapel
Hidden in a forest on the ancestral de Hautdesert lands, the Green Chapel is a mystic site of ancient age which appears as a Christian chapel made of green stone and green tinted glass, decorated with images of stags and trees and wild things. Inside it resembles places of worship, with pews and an altar and Christian imagery. The building is alive, or suffused with the lifeforce of some immense magical entity, and can rebuild itself if damaged. It contains modest living quarters, as well as a space for a library and workshop and stables, although Bertram keeps his ornithopter there, not horses. The chapel can defend itself from attack, and a ghostly army of mute servants maintains the building and supports Bertram, although they cannot leave the premises.
Toughness: +10, Size: Huge
Features: Defense System, Garage, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Self-Repairing

Under the Hood
My favorite Arthurian tale is "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," so when I went looking for a way to translate Dane Whitman into Fantastic Victoriana, going the route of the Green Knight was a no-brainer. There were actually a couple green knights and I sort of amalgamated them to make Bert's ancestors. I imagine that the Albion Family and the Chapel are closely tied to to the druids that used to run Britain before the Romans came, or perhaps the power source that is encompassed by the Chapel is a pagan god or court of faerie creatures. It may also be an Elder God like Nodens or something, because this is the kind of setting where something like that might happen.

Yojimbo

The Multiverse in My Head: Fantastic Victoriana [Ashwara Raksha, Harrison Champion]

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:08 am

Ashwara Raksha
As a young woman, Ashwara Raksha worked in the household of Wentworths, a British family in India as a cook. She was well taken care of by her employers, even doted upon by the mistress, who loved Ashwara’s dishes. When the British were recalled to England, they took Ashwara back with them, as the mistress would not countenance leaving her favorite cook behind. It didn’t even occur to Ashwara to stay in her homeland, as she was completely caught up in the whirlwind of preparations and departure. Before Ashwara boarded the ship to leave for a tiny, northern island, her mother pressed a small ring with a cat’s eye gem inset into her hand. It was the only protection her poor mother could offer her, although Ashwara did not understand the significance of it at the time.

England was a frightening, dreary, cold place. Ashwara hated it almost immediately and longed to return home. Trapped by her class and race, however, she could not escape. The dreams started then, dreams of prowling the Wentworth family estate in the guise of a huge tiger. In one dream, she stalked and killed a deer. The next morning, she awoke with blood on her lips and a full, sated belly.

Still it took her months to realize what was happening, what wearing the ring every day had done to her. When a country lord, a close friend of Mr. Wentworth, decided that the pretty young cook from India would welcome his advances and pressed his advantage, Ashwara reacted without thinking. With her dress torn and the lord mauling her face with his mouth, she slashed at him with her claws, tearing deep furrows in his cheek, and threw him across the room.

It was only then that she realized what she was, what she had done, what she was truly capable of doing. In shame and horror she fled the estate, disappearing into the teeming crowds of London. She knew there would be no justice for her, that she would never see her home or family again. Ashwara did find a way to control her wild nature, turn it to her own purpose, and find a way to stay alive in the urban jungle of London.

John Albion found her there, lured by tales of the Tiger Woman of Harley Street. Knowing that she was pursued, Ashwara stalked and attacked him, but Albion was ready and after a short battle, he managed to convince her that he was not interested in arresting her. Rather, he wanted to hear her story and see if she might be a good fit for the Stranger’s Club. Since then, Ashwara has been a member in good standing. She has found a temporary home among other people just as strange and gifted as herself. Some day Ashwara will return to India, some day when she has saved up enough money to pay for passage and to ensure she will never be someone’s servant again. Until then, she lives on the club grounds and aids the group in their activities.
Abilities: STR: 10/26(-/+8) DEX: 10/26 (-/+8) CON: 14/30 (+2/+10) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 12 (+1)
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+12)
Craft: Cooking 4 (+6)
Knowledge: Arcane Lore 4 (+6)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+6)
Medicine 4 (+7)
Notice 4 (+11)
Search 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+12)
Feats: Improved Initiative 1
Instant Up
Power Attack
Ritualist
Track
Powers: “Weretiger” Alternate Form 14
Blur
Enhanced CON 16
Enhanced DEX 16
Enhanced STR 16
Leaping 3 [Running Jump: 180 ft., Standing Jump: 90 ft., High Jump: 45 ft.]
Speed 3 [50 mph, 440 ft./rnd]
Strike 2 [Mighty]
Super-Movement 3 [Perfect Balance, Sure-Footed 2 (50% penalty reduction)]
Super-Senses 3 [Extended: Hearing (-1 per 100 ft.), Low-Light Vision, Scent]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 23, Strike DC 25], Defense +10, Init +12
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex +12, Will +8
Description: Slight and unassuming, Ashwara is a dark-skinned young Hindu woman with long, straight black hair and warm brown eyes. She prefers her native dress to English fashion, as she prefers the bright colors and patterns to the drab Victorian dress of her contemporaries.

She believes that the ring her mother gave her transformed Ashwara into a weretiger, although she cast the ring into the gutter upon reaching London and the dreams remained. The change is apparently permanent, and may in fact have simply unlocked something already present within her.

At will, Ashwara can change into her tiger shape. She becomes a monstrous hybrid of human and cat, gaining height, mass, and muscle. Dark orange and white fur, striped in black, grows all over her body. She gains a tail, her ears become triangular, and she grows whiskers and a cat-like snout. Her strength, agility, and durability increase. Sight, hearing, and sense of smell become enhanced. She can leap prodigious distances and run faster than a horse. She gains retractable razor-sharp claws in her hands and feet. Ashwara retains her own mind and personality in this shape, although she does feel less inhibitions and a growing lust for blood and battle that she is finding increasingly difficult to curb.

Under the Hood
Tigra may not be the worst Avenger ever, but she sure seems that way. I wouldn't normally put her on an "iconic Avengers" roster, nor was there an imperative directing me to make use of her archetype for the Stranger's Club. There are a lot more interesting Avengers that I skipped, but the tension and opportunity presented by the Raj and England's relationship with India, as well as India's tiger-based monsters like the rakshasha and the weretiger (however much D&D actually gave me the ideas I have of both), I figured giving a Tigra analogue a spot on the team would actually be a good idea. That said, Ashwara here is a pretty basic PL 10/150 pp and I think she's still tougher and more impressive than Tigra has ever been.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 am

Harrison Champion, Henry Murphy, “Black Dog”
Born Henry Murphy in Limerick, he parlayed his natural size and athleticism into a career as a prize-fighter. Boxing, wrestling, any and all comers, and his publicist and partner changed his name when Henry managed to uncannily win every match, despite often overwhelming odds. He outwrestled a bear, for example. But Harry didn’t become truly scary until one day in London, at an illegal match taking place upon the site of an ancient Roman temple to Jupiter. His opponent was more troll than man, and Harry was losing pretty badly until he said a little prayer: “Lord, give me strength.” A bolt of lightning suddenly came out of the clear sky and struck Harry. The match was almost called, but Harry quickly stood up, dusted himself off, and proceeded to trounce his opponent.

Since that day, Harry has gained a different kind of notoriety as a “modern Hercules,” who travels across the British Isles wrestling and defeating monsters and other strange threats. He still prizefights and performs exhibitions of strength (lifting elephants and train engines and the like), but mostly makes his way by battling monsters. One of his first battles was against the Black Dog of Inverness, an enormous hound with a tongue of flame and lambent eyes. Harry now wears the skin as a cloak.
Abilities: STR: 30 (+10) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 30 (+10) INT: 14 (+2) WIS: 16 (+3) CHR: 14 (+2)
Skills: Bluff 4 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Intimidate 4 (+6)
Knowledge: History 4 (+6)
Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+6)
Notice 4 (+7)
Ride 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)
Survival 4 (+7)
Feats: All-Out Attack
Crushing Pin
Damaging Escape
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple
Improved Pin
Power Attack
Takedown Attack 2
Powers: Impervious Toughness 10
Leaping 2 [Running Jump: 100 ft., Standing Jump: 50 ft., High Jump: 25 ft.]
Regeneration 8 [Bruised 1, Disabled 2, Injured 2, Staggered 2, Unconscious 1]
Speed 2 [25 mph, 220 ft./rnd]
Super-Strength 8 [Heavy Load: 204.8 tons]
Combat: Attack +10 [Unarmed DC 25], Defense +10, Init +3
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex +6, Will +8
Description: Broad shouldered, burly Irishman, with pale skin and ruddy cheeks. He shaves his head but grows enormous black mustaches, and there is always a mischievous gleam in his green eyes. He wears athletic gear – tights and hose and high laced boots – when performing for an exhibition, and will usually appear under the lights wearing his fearsome cloak, which includes the head, fangs, and claws of the Black Dog of Inverness. Otherwise he tends towards working class clothes, durable stuff that doesn’t tear easily in the kinds of brawls he tends to find. Harry is enormously strong and durable, shrugging off powerful blows with a grin, and even recovering quickly from what little damage he does take. He moves quickly and can cross gaps with prodigious jumps. A lustful fellow with deep appetites, he loves good food and drink, the companionship of both women and men, gambling, and above all, a good brawl.

Under the Hood
Harrison subs in for Hercules, of course. Starting with the idea of an Irish prize-fighter seemed like a neat idea, given the notorious pugnacity of the Irish people. This is a guy who would opine about the "gift of battle" like Marvel's Hercules does. His black dog cloak is a nod to how the mythological Heracles used to wear the Nemean lion's skin, and Harry's bisexuality is also a nod to Heracles' enjoyment of both sexes. I'm not sure what would get Harry into more trouble within London society - having sex with another man or simply being Irish - but I think the combination presents a classic iconoclast who fits into the Stranger's Club rather neatly. They are meant to be a collection of outsiders, oddballs, and weirdos who still come together to defend the Empire when necessary, although individual members' level of loyalty to the crown itself may vary.