Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Butterfree! Jynx! Mr. Mime! Jigglypuff!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Arbok! Venonat! Pinsir! Butterfree!)

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:24 am

Haha, thanks :). He was one of those ones that was gonna be tricky, along with Voltorb and Magneton. I mean, “Golem” seems obvious, but you still have to figure out how they’re supposed to work.

Jabroniville

Jynx

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:26 am

JYNX
Role:
Psychic Monster, Fearsome Fey
PL 8 (96)
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH 0 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+8)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Fearless, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Fey Senses" Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Ranged, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Psychic-Type Magical Creature" Immunity 10 (Psychic Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]

"Lovely Kiss" Affliction 8 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Cumulative) (16) -- [17]
AE: "Ice Punch" Blast 8 (16)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Ice Punch +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Lovely Kiss +8 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Kadabra's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.
Reputation (Evil)- Jynx are greatly feared throughout the Arctic as particularly-lethal Fey.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 9 (96)

-Horrifying creatures of nightmares, the deadly Jynx are known to inhabit arctic reaches in places where even Frost Giants fear to tread, in case they encounter them. Though the creatures have powerful Ice Magic within them, they are also partially Psionic in nature. They are unpredictable and fearsome, like many Fey, and will either be delighted with the company of non-Fey, or will lash out at them with psionic or ice-based might. Their "Lovely Kiss" specialty can put victims to sleep- at which point they are often drowned in the icy waters. They are little understood, as few who encounter them wish to speak of it, and most of the others are killed. Many Frost Giant tribes will pay even non-Giants to ferret out enclaves of Jynx and kill them.

Jab's Notes: No Pokemon has ever been as controversial as Jynx- not only is it a grotesque parody of a human female, but it's more or less a racial caricature, like "HAW HAW, AREN'T BLACK PEOPLE FUNNY LOOKING!" in intent. It was initially even colored black, until some public complaining (I mean, this is a game & anime targetted at LEGIONS of children) got her changed to purple. Carole Boston Weatherford attacked both Jynx and "Dragon Ball Z" charater Mr. Popo for featuring the same racist imagery.

-There is some belief that Jynx may have been inspired by the Japanese "Ganjuro" fashion subculture instead of black people- the bleached hair, giant lips, strong make-up, and tanned skin of that movement are seemingly reflected in the Pokemon. She may also be based off of "fat lady" opera singers. Still, though- Jynx looks horrifying. The Pokemon has appeared only rarely, though occasionally in some higher-end roles, such as "Three Jynx and a Baby", in which three Jynx protected their sister- a Smoochum- before it evolved into a Jynx like them. This long-ago episode was its last appearance in the anime, possibly due to the controversy.

-Even without understanding the racial aspects of the Pokemon, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATED Jynx as a teen. I felt it was the dumbest-looking, goofiest, ugliest Pokemon around, with exaggerated lips (the "Duck Lips" thing is one of my biggest turn-offs) and more. It was like this horrifying parody of womanhood. That it was treated like it was deliberately trying to be seductive only made it worse (the Pokedex indicates it "seductively wiggling its hips" as it walks).

-Jynx, like Mr. Mime, was a Pokemon with a pretty high number on the index, and was singular and a Psychic-Type. However, it was part-Ice-Type, and gained a Baby Pokemon version later, in Smoochum. Despite being a partial Psychic-Type, it only has one Psychic move- Heart Stamp. Its signature move, Lovely Kiss, is known only to Jynx.

Spectrum

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Venonat! Pinsir! Butterfree! Jynx!)

Post by Spectrum » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:32 am

I've never made the connection before, but that Jynx picture definitely reminds me of:

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Venonat! Pinsir! Butterfree! Jynx!)

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:44 am

haha, that's probably where that artist got it from, in fact :)!

It was oddly difficult to find a good picture for "Realistic Jynx" on DeviantArt. I was expecting to find TONS of Nightmare Fuel, but no.

Jabroniville

Mr. Mime

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:50 am

ImageImage

MR. MIME
Role:
Psychic Monster, Hybrid Beast
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 12 (+8 Size)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

"Psychic-Type Magical Creature" Immunity 10 (Psychic Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Mind Reading 5 [10]

"Psychic" Mental Blast 8 (32) -- [37]
  • AE: "Psy-Beam" Blast 8 Linked to Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed to Confused) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Unreliable) (24)
  • AE: "Confuse Ray" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed to Confused) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (24)
  • AE: "Psychokinesis" Move Object 7 (Extras: Perception Range) (21)
  • AE: "Disable" Affliction 8 (Will; Impaired Move/Disabled Move/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to one Random Move) (16)
  • AE: "Invisible Wall" Create 6 (Feats: Subtle 2) (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Psychic -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Will Damage, DC 23)
Psy-Beam +8 (+8 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 23 & 18)
Confuse Ray, Disable & Hold Monster -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Mr. Mime cannot speak to humans.
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Mr. Mime's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 14 (105)

-It is said that the pairings of humans with fae are doomed to failure; the chaotic, unpredictable fae often have very disturbing or flighty natures, making them poor parents, and humans rarely outlive their partners. However, there is a much more terrifying result as well- the creation of a "Mr. Mime". These psychotic hybrids are possessed with great Violet Magic- Psionic power- and a malevolent nature that makes them insane murderers. The appearance of a Mr. Mime is entirely random, and multiple kinds of fae are known to make them. They resemble a sick parody of a human clown, with pallid skin, horrid teeth, and greenish hair sprouting in tufts. These creatures are usually attacked as soon as they are seen, but being born with instantaneous might, they are often quite skilled at escape, running into the wilds, where they become nuisances for years if not stopped.

-Mr. Mimes do not always attack on first sight; they are known to adore mimicking the behavior of others. They will confront travellers in small groups, aping the movements of one of the party. They are perfectly happy to do this for hours, but will almost always fight to the death if interrupted. They cannot speak, instead making a sickening gasping noise.

Jab's Notes: Jynx and Mr. Mime were my two least-favorite Pokemon in the original game- I HATE Humanoid-looking Pokemon, and the fact that both also looked stupid didn't make things better. Thankfully, only see one if you trade an Abra to a trainer on Route 2, making them easy to ignore. Mr. Mime is seen very often in the anime... but you only really see one in Ash's mother's home, as a menial worker. What this means as per slavery isn't explained, but this is a world based entirely around cockfighting as its sole source for the economy, so we're probably better off not knowing.

-Mr. Mime, like Jynx, eventually received a "Baby Version" with Mime Jr., but MUCH later- in the fourth generation of Pokemon games. It was one of the last of the "Original 151" to get another evolutionary stage. Both Mr. Mime & Mime Jr. resemble puppets.

Jabroniville

Jigglypuff

Post by Jabroniville » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:49 am

ImageImage

JIGGLYPUFF
Role:
Psychic Monster, Nightmare Beast
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+2 Size)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6 Size)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Natural Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [2]
"Psionic Shield" Force Field 3 [3]
"Bite" Damage 2 [2]
"Sleeping Song" Affliction 8 (Will; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception, Cumulative) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Sleeping Song +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+5 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Jigglypuff cannot speak to humans.
Vulnerable (Bug, Ghost & Dark Attacks)- Jigglypuff's creature type leaves it vulnerable to the attacks of insect-like creatures, Ghosts & Darkness.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 17 (95)

-Looking ridiculously cute and innocuous, the round & pink Jigglypuffs are the opposite of fearsome-looking. However, this is a dreadful act of espionage. For the creatures are prone to singing their victims to sleep with a soothing lullaby, then consuming their slumbering bodies. Secretive and gregarious, they are easily-adopted by sentient beings, who try to keep them as pets before they are devoured. Jigglypuffs are rare enough that few are aware of this deception, or recognize the frightening nature of these creatures. They breed only rarely, and are rather good at blending into the forests, despite being pink and spherical. Wood Elves are known to attack them on sight, and so they avoid such regions. Wizards are known to hunt them for their blood, which makes for an excellent Sleeping Toxin.

Jab's Notes: I pretty much had the "secretly evil" thing set in stone with Jigglypuffs as soon as I did this set, but I never really got around to it until now. It just fits TOO WELL not to use! Jigglypuff shares a role with Pikachu in that both are ridiculously-cute critters who vastly overshadow their later evolutions- Pikachu is exponentially more famous than Raichu, and Jigglypuff is far, far more notable than the poorly-designed Wigglytuff, which just looks like a fat, pink rabbit. Jigglypuff is a big running gag in the anime, singing to people as a wannabe Pop Idol... but then finding its entire audience slumbering, due to its powers! Pissed off, the annoyed Jigglypuff then sketches funny faces on its audience with a felt-tip marker! It lasted a LONG time in the anime before being dropped, but ultimately made a nostalgic comeback, typically as a gag who has little effect on any given story.

Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Pinsir! Butterfree! Jynx! Mr. Mime!)

Post by Jabroniville » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 am

OMG, and that's the ball-game for my Original 151 Pokemon builds!!! Everything else is just a baby version of one of these!!

I can resist doing a big "All Done!" post again, since I did one only a handful of months ago when I finished posting the entire D&D Monster Manual on this thread, and got a lot of congratulatory messages :). It'd just be self-indulgent to post something like that again.

The future of this thread is somewhat steady, however, as there's a handful of other Pokemon I'd like to post. I really don't care for statting "Legendaries" (they're wayyyyyyyyyy too generic after a point; nothing that much different from Mew), but a handful of the Dragon-looking ones are worthwhile. I'll probably update this thread every couple weeks or so.

I also realize now that many of my early Pokemon builds are INSANELY under-written. Kadabra, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, etc., all have these PUNY bios, while I add in huge things for Pokemon I don't even care about, like Lickitung and Mr. Mime. I think at some point I'll go back into the biggest names and re-rant about them. Given I spammed a lot of the early part of this thread out, I don't feel like that's a "cheat".

After that? I dunno. I guess I could just let it lie. God knows doing this thread in ADDITION to my other one has been a hell of a lot of work. Talk about a time-sink! I mean, I have no regrets about it, as the research is fun as hell, but WOW.