On the road (D&D 5E IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by EpicEclipse » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:31 pm

It has been an ideal day for travel, if really uneventful. You, five adventurers, happened to cross paths on the same road and decided to travel together, even if just for a time as you realize the crossed connections between your old acquaintances. The road you find yourselves on is the main route tracing along the western coast of this country, with the ocean stretching out further west, that feeds trade and commerce, shipping goods north and south to other cities where they get further exported to other parts of the kingdom. In fact, the town the group is approaching is known as Seaside. Appropriately located on the edge of the ocean and famous for its docks and being a hub of trade from all over.

As the sun begins its descent for the night, you will arrive in town with plenty of time for a little shopping before the shops starting closing, though you will still have to deal with the guards at the gate before entering as they stop your motley looking group.

"Are you lot adventurers?" The guard that addresses you is human, in his later thirties by the looks of it, and a career guard. His partner at the gate is younger, female and unless you miss your guess, half elf, though her helmet hides her ears. Her face is just a little too pretty for human. She's clearly the subordinate guard in this posting.

(DC5 History) You can find your way around the town easily enough without asking for directions.

(DC10 History) The town has something of an interesting relationship with pirates that reduces the ships being waylaid. Pirates that do not harass ships bound or departing Seaside are left unharassed so long as they follow the same laws of the town as everyone else. They have even been rewarded for protecting those ships from pirates that don't care and attack merchant ships anyways, though they are not officially recognized as privateers and any such interaction with the town is unofficial at best.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3084
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Flynnarrel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Salazar
History: 1d20+1 18
Salazar takes a deep breath of the salted air. This was not his first time in this region. In the times where his smuggling career involved goods, a pirate-friendly port was a great place to pick up and offload contraband.

The Yuan-Ti smiled warmly at the guard. "My good man, every day is an adventure and thus, we are all adventurers in this wonder-filled quest we call 'life'. But what brings us past you and your very lovely companion today is that we all have trade goods and business within the township." Salazar says, spending words like a drunk man with an excess of coppers. His does give a charming smile toward the young lady and holds her gaze just a moment longer as he adds, "We'll be staying at the Prancing Pony and, should our business go well, perhaps later a drink can be bought for the wonderful guards that welcomed us through the gates."

He inclines his head to them both.

"What excitement might there have been around Seaside lately or are any noteworthy happenings coming up?"
"Something pithy this way comes."

User avatar
StarGuard
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:23 am
Location: Indiana

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by StarGuard » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:56 am

Kaine
[Monk 3]
HP: 1 ; Condition: Normal
As the guard stops the party at the city gate, Kaine nods listening carefully. Salazar's snake like charm more endearing to some than others, oozing from his silvery tongue still takes getting use to for Kaine. The family back home were less ... subtle in their business dealings. Still this wasn't home and Kaine was excited to see his first big city since being released from the Arena.

Having spent some time with the City Watch, Kaine assumed that these guards would be just as amiable to a token of appreciation as those in his old home town. As Salazar was asking the senior guard about the goings on about town, Kaine slipped 5 silver into the man's palm adding " ... and if there are any who we might need to pay our respects to facilitate an Adventurer's business, it would be much appreciated."

[Kaine's token is intended to help loosen the guard's tongue if Salazar needs assistance persuading them for any reason. Alternatively as he uses his Sleight of Hand to slip the 5 silver pieces into the senior guard's hand he makes a gesture of greeting in Thieve's Cant. It should mean nothing if the guard isn't tied into a local family, and merely a message of needing to know who to pay respects to while in the city if he is connected: Watcher's Eye]

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by EpicEclipse » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm

The elder guard looks at Salazar as he tries the silver tongue approach, then at Kaine as he goes for the tried and true silver palm technique. Smoothly, the guard pockets the coins. "Prancing Pony's been torn down for a few years now. Must have been a while since you were last here. I'd recommend Crown Stag uptown if you want the best food in town, or the Wave Rider down at the docks if you're looking for something bit more... 'low key'. Plenty of other eateries and taverns in between. Lots of different tastes run through town after all."

All the while, the younger guard watches the exchange, likely trying to pick up any tips, still in training. He gaze does keep sliding over to Kaine's exotic and well-sculpted body, sharing a smile with him should he happen to look over

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Exile
HP 25/25 | AC: 15 | Init: +5 (Advantage) | Perception: 15
Spell Slots: 3/3 | Arrows: 60
Inspiration: None

History: 3
He knew little of most cities that dotted the landscape, but he was always much more at ease in the forests anyway. Those had been his home for much of the last quarter century, until he began traveling alongside Salazar at least. A good companion, the wood elf would acknowledge. If there was anything to be known about this city, he was sure to tell him later on. Finding out about where you were through first hand experience was half the fun of traveling anyway, though.

While the gladiator and warlock communed with the elder guard, their silent companion deigned to keep up his roll. Instead he took the time to reach out with his soul as it connects with the land, listening to it's whispers. If there were monsters that were dwelling nearby, it'd do well to know before walking in.
Primeval Awareness: Monstrosities wrote:"Additionally, you can attune your senses to determine if any of your favored enemies lurk nearby. By spending 1 uninterrupted minute in concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell), you can sense whether any of your favored enemies are present within 5 miles of you. This feature reveals which of your favored enemies are present,their numbers, and the creatures’ general direction and distance (in miles) from you."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3084
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Flynnarrel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:28 pm

EpicEclipse wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm
The elder guard looks at Salazar as he tries the silver tongue approach, then at Kaine as he goes for the tried and true silver palm technique. Smoothly, the guard pockets the coins. "Prancing Pony's been torn down for a few years now. Must have been a while since you were last here. I'd recommend Crown Stag uptown if you want the best food in town, or the Wave Rider down at the docks if you're looking for something bit more... 'low key'. Plenty of other eateries and taverns in between. Lots of different tastes run through town after all."

All the while, the younger guard watches the exchange, likely trying to pick up any tips, still in training. He gaze does keep sliding over to Kaine's exotic and well-sculpted body, sharing a smile with him should he happen to look over
Salazar's smile never wavered even as the pretty lady's attention was better captured elsewhere. One could not be universally appealing and that was doubly true for one of the Scaled Folk. Salazar mentally updated his files on this city. He'd include it in his report to the Liminal King tonight at dusk.

"Very good then. The Crown Stag, I think." Salazar says. "Shall we?" he asks his companions, gesturing the path to the town ahead of them.
"Something pithy this way comes."

User avatar
StarGuard
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:23 am
Location: Indiana

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by StarGuard » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:44 am

Kaine
[Monk 3]
HP: 1 ; Condition: Normal

After five years in the Arena, and the last few months with Kriv and the others, Kaine had been a long time since mingling with more "civilized" people. The cheap wine and company found in the training pits was a rough and often savage affair. Had it not been for Kriv's grandfather he would have lost himself like his companions and died in that darkness. Thoughts he quickly swayed away from as he stepped back from the senior gate guard with a smile and friendly wink at the obvious younger and definitely prettier of the two.

"Sounds like a most excellent choice friend Salazar." A quick flip backward toward his more silent companions, Kaine lands balanced on Kriv's hulking draconic shoulders ... "To the Crown then maybe to the Wave Rider, if they happen to have games of chance. I have a few coppers burning a whole in my pouch and feel ... " Looking again at the younger half-elf, "Lady Luck might just be whispering in my ear this evening." Finishing with a flip off of Kriv's massive armored shoulders, landing next to Heart. "What do you say Heart? Raedy to roll some bones tonight.?"

User avatar
Bill from Accounting
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Bill from Accounting » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 am

HEART
HP: 24/24, AC: 18

The life of an adventurer could be a dangerous one. On the road, there was never any assurance what might be just around the next bend. It was why the warfoged Vassal had decided to travel with Kaine. He was a good man, and a good friend. Heart could not bear the thought of him losing his life out here, not after fighting for his freedom for years in the arena. Heart was happy to treat him and the other fighters, but it had come time to move on. The world was full of others who needed help, and she was on a personal journey. Seaside seemed a pleasant, peaceful destination. The evening ocean breeze felt good on her skin. Steel. Whatever.

"I'm afraid that I have no interest in such games," she responded to the half-kor, "but I will be sure to pray to Olladra for your good fortune. I should warn you that she is a fickle goddess, however, just as likely to bless as she is to curse. Either might be amusing to watch." The faintest hint of a smile could be seen on her hinged jaw.


History: 1d20+3 9
Last edited by Bill from Accounting on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

McGuffin
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by McGuffin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:58 am

Kriv
Kriv was content to let Salazar and Kaine do the talking as he was taking in the town. Some insistent remnant of his upbringing tickled at the back of his mind about each speaking at their own station but Kriv brushed it aside. These were companions on the road he'd shared a most excellent time travelling with, there was no need to complicate things further.

He didn't know Seaside but he felt confident in his ability to find his way about town when needed. Kriv's musings were cut short with Kaine's acrobatic antics. He managed to feign indignant annoyance for all of a second before bursting into a loud and hearty laugh. He had to admire the rigorous training his grandfather must have put Kaine through to turn out such a skilled athlete.

"To the Crown for a hearty meal after our day's long travel, and maybe some excitement after that!" Another hearty laugh echoed from the paladin as his large frame led the way to their chosen destination.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3084
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Flynnarrel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Salazar

He crooked a scaly eyebrow at the athletic antics but his half-smile was good-natured even as he shook his head in condemnation. With everyone's agreement Salazar gently hissed his horse into movement.
"Something pithy this way comes."

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Exile
HP 25/25 | AC: 15 | Init: +5 (Advantage) | Perception: 15
Spell Slots: 3/3 | Arrows: 60
Inspiration: None


The elf lightly pulled on his horse's reigns, urging the stallion forward without much ceremony.

OOC: Assuming for the moment, that there's nothing that seems threatening to Exile's senses right now.[/ooc]
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by EpicEclipse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:10 am

The city is as lively as one would imagine such a hub of trade from not only local sources being exported, but all the trade flooding in from the across the sea. That being said, in this neck of the woods, you all, except Exile, sort of stick out.

The populace is primarily human, no shocker there. There are also wood elves from the near-by greatwood where who knows how many settlements exist within the canopy, and dwarves from the Craig Mountains a bit more than a day's ride to the northeast. Here and there you spot little folk, halfling and gnome both, going to and fro about their business most urgent. Only here and there do you see anything more exotic like dragonborn or tabaxi. Perhaps you'll see more exotic races down near the port.

For now, your path to the Crown Stag takes you to high town, where the merchants have actual storefronts rather than pop-up stalls and carts. The streets are cleaner and kept that way. It's clear this is where the richer people live and spend their coin in part to keep this area in a state befitting their delicate sensibilities. Not that people are kept from passing through or perusing shops, but there is a marked increase in town guard presence on the lookout for trouble compared to the entry proper to the town and the commons.

People are pleasant enough though and though you stick out so much, you're treated more as exotic than alien. Directions are easily procured without requiring any "grease".

The Crown Stag's sign is a stag's head wearing a crown between two grand antlers that reach out to the frame of the signage, all painted in gold. It is a well-built wooden structure, two levels with what appears to be a split sub-level, even this near the water level. Given the light smoke and scents, coming from the quarter-sized windows, the sub-level is where the kitchen is located.

Inside is....well, if you felt like you stuck out before among the more common races, inside you see finely dressed townfolk, clearly members the richer merchant families in town taking a meal. In your travel-worn garb, the reception to your entrance is less novel than you've received outside for your more exotic appearances. Everything about the interior speaks to wealth. Carved wooden chairs and tables with gold leaf designs. Delicate hanging sconces filled with flame that doesn't appear to spit or drip any manner of fuel or spark on the tables below. (Arcana DC 12 -> Continual Flame. Each of those sconces cost about 50+gp. There's like, twelve of them)

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 am

Exile
HP 25/25 | AC: 15 | Init: +5 (Advantage) | Perception: 15
Spell Slots: 3/3 | Arrows: 60
Inspiration: None


Arana: 6

Though he couldn't comprehend the magics that went into the wall sconces, there were other signs in scattered throughout the room that all told him of one thing. "We can't afford anything in this bar, Salazar..." He whispered, a low tone that most unfamiliar with him would never have picked up. The Yuan-Ti however would have long grown ears sensitive to pick him up, when he wished to be heard.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3084
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by Flynnarrel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:50 am

Salazar
Arcana: 1d20+2 13
Salazar marveled at the expensive decor. He hears his companion and gives a theatric sigh.

"I fear you're right, my masked, friend. And I was so hoping to change into my finery and take them for a spin." Salazar says wistfully.

"Companions, this does not seem the place for us afterall. I do not think we will find a comfortable setting or affordable repast. Anyone who spends 600 gold on magical lighting alone either skimps in the kitchen or passes the costs to their patrons. Does anyone disagree that this isn't the place for us?... Though perhaps after we exchange some of the trade goods if you really want the experience and scandal. We could try a less... stuffy inn or go all the way to the rowdy place. Thoughts?" he inquires.
"Something pithy this way comes."

McGuffin
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: On the road (D&D 5E IC)

Post by McGuffin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:20 am

Kriv
Arcana: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21, I'd also like to use Position of Privilege from the Noble Background.
"I am Kriv of Clan Myastan, Paladin of Bahamut on a quest here with my companions. I trust a fine establishment such as yours would not turn away reputable travellers with honest gold in their purses? News of such behavior would no doubt reflect poorly on any place of business."
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.

Post Reply