[IC] Critical Mass

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

[IC] Critical Mass

Post by FuzzyBoots » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:45 am

Gamemaster

“Twenty minutes ago police dispatchers received a frantic 911 from the Oyster Creek Advanced Power Plant - reporting that they were under attack by heavily armed men. The SWAT team has established a perimeter around Oyster Creek Advanced Power Plant. They’ve been able to establish communications with the attackers – who have threatened to begin killing the Power Plant staff unless the police withdraw. The situation is tense and authorities are requesting any available super-powered backup to resolve it quickly.”

This is the broadcast that you have picked up, being broadcast on multiple news channels with some slight variation. You're familiar with the Oyster Creek Advanced Power Plant, at least in abstract, operating just outside of town, north-east near Hanover. Before now, it's been a relative non-starter in terms of trouble. There were some initial protests against nuclear power, but eventually saner heads prevailed, the the power plant has been generating relatively clean power for the city. You're aware that the Freedom League is somewhere off in space, and a quick check reveals that Next Gen hasn't been seen for a week or so. It seems this may be down to you.
OOC wrote:Got back late last night, didn't get a chance to write this up. It's a bit of a cold opening, I know. It's up to you as to whether you know people in the police well enough to try to connect up with them before arriving.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3373
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: [OOC] Critical Mass

Post by Flynnarrel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Coriolis

It was a PR gig, at least in theory. One of the premier heroes of Eastern Mexico on tour to different North & South American, European, Asian, and African cities was supposed to promote global unity and foster good international relations. He had already done all of his South America stops and, frankly, Corey was already bored of shaking hands and kissing babies (though no actual babies were involved in this PR tour). Freedom City was his last stop in America before a few cities in Canada, then off to Europe. And while he was enjoying the attention at the Mexican Cultural Center he really needed to flex his muscles. The call for superhoeroes was like a blessing from Santo Guadelupe herself. He did pause long enough to confirm with his PR managers that he had the time in his itinerary and set up the proper coverage. Getting the green light, he made his apologies to those who had come out to see him today and advised they watch their TVs for more of his exploits.

Clearing a space around himself and winking at the hastily set up camera, Corey found the many curving vectors of the air currents omnipresent in the atmosphere and reshaped them with his power. He recurves the air to spin around his legs and speeds them up until they become a blur of motion and speed. The lift lets him rise enough for dramatic effect, making sure to do a slow revolve for the camera to get all his good sides before the effect covers his whole body and his shoots away with a whoosh that could blow off hats even from the ground at his point of departure.

When out of sight of the cameras his smile is replaced by the seriousness that the situation merited. He tunes his suit comnm to the emergency frequencies used by superhero dispatch in this city, part of his morning briefs for whatever new city he's in during this tour.

"Coriolis, checking in, not local but you can get my credentials from the registry database. Is there a staging area for briefing and coordination or is it just a go in and resolve the situation under standard emergency protocols?"
"Something pithy this way comes."

Prof Weird
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Prof Weird » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:34 am

Petra/Geomancer

Petra was taking advantage of a small break in her schedule to make sure her jump kit was restocked - the last thing she needed was to get to an accident scene and NOT have something like tape to hold the gauze pads in place.

She'd left the TV on, ready to watch her favorite show when the news announced there was a problem at the local nuclear plant. The authorities were asking for super-powered backup.

"I guess that's my cue." she mused to herself as she headed into the basement. In one corner behind a few heavy bags of sculpting clay she'd removed the cement of the floor to expose the native earth. Concentrating for a moment, she transformed into Geomancer, sunk into the earth like it was water, then 'swam' (at nearly one hundred miles per hour) towards the Oyster Creek power plant.

Due to her powers, she could see through earth and stone as if they were clear water, but 'processed' earth - like concrete and asphalt - were merely translucent. She quickly managed to notice where the local authorities were staged, and carefully surfaced.

User avatar
Poodle
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Poodle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:27 am

Part of the crowd watching Flicker's performance of street magic and juggling had stopped watching his show and had their phones out looking at something.
Lucky a store window had some t.v. screens showing the latest news. [b']That looks bad'[/b] thought Flicker. 'it' s just a hop, and a jump from here though.'
Soon Flicker was on the roof of a building just outside the police cordon, watching the power plant, debating whether to get closer or not. ' 'Nuclear weapons have an EMP pulse but reactors? I think I'll just watch for a moment just in case, besides it looks like a super has turned up anyway.' From his discrete observation point Flicker watched the flashy looking guy in the cape talking to the press.
Last edited by Poodle on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Arsenal
Flicker
Manchester Merriweather

ZenGypsy
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by ZenGypsy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:47 am

Harrier
Hero Points: 1 | Condition: Normal.

Shepherd had just finished a twelve hour shift in the pit, East River Medical Centre's Emergency Room. He was in the break room grabbing a croissant and a tea, when Harrison, the Chief Medical, informed staff to prep for incoming casualties, as there was a hostage situation at Oyster Creek and East River was the closest attending facility. Emergency teams would be dispatched with Ambulance and EMT's, when Shepherd approached Harrison, the older man gave him a stern look, "Not you Shepherd, you've been in the pit for twelve hours, how many procedures have you performed so far today?" He took a breath, but didn't wait for an answer, "You've done enough for the day, hit my office, grab some sleep. If things go south we're going to need to sharp."

Harrison was a hard ass, stern, by the book, but fair, and level headed in a crisis. Hell, the man was probably right. However, Shepherd had been on the other end of a hostage situation, staring down the bore of .45 in his own damn ER, been forced to do something that his Oath demanded of him anyways, even after they shot his intern. He clenched his fist, muttering some non-committal answer to the Chief. He did go to the staff room, he changed out of his scrubs, pulling on a pair of loose combat pants, dark navy, and a thinsulate long sleeve shirt. He packed a trauma bag, however, he packed it over his combat webbing, gloves, and mask that he used in his heroic identity. He then put on a doctor's coat, and a reflective vest over top and scrambled down the stairs towards the Ambulance Bay.

He noted two teams of EMT's scrambling for the ambulances parked therein, he called out to one of them, "You guys headed to Oyster Creek?" When they nodded the affirmative, he hopped in the back, "Won't hurt to have another set of hands right, this could go south, real quick." The one EMT, Anderson, according to his badge, nodded, "Yeah, I heard SWAT's on the way, armed men at a power plant." he paused, nervous, "Domestic terrorism?" Anderson pulled the doors closed as they pulled out of the bay, Shepherd looked at him trying to calm him, "Let the cops worry about that, we worry about making sure everyone comes home in one piece, right?" he put a steadying hand on the frightened EMT's shoulder. "Yeah, yeah, but still ..."

When the Ambulance pulled on site, it headed for the barricade the police had erected, Shepherd, trauma bag in hand, lost himself in the chaos, quickly vaulting the barrier, and securing himself in an outlying structure. After a brief scan to ensure he wasn't in the arc of any visible security camera's he changed into his mask and gear, becoming Harrier. He changed his angle of approach, easily vaulting down from the roof of the building, and coming towards the police from the east.

He noted other costumed individuals already speaking with police, oddly enough one of them was the Mexican hero, Coriolis, he thought. "Officer, Harrier here to offer assistance as required, can you tell us the situation?"

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by FuzzyBoots » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:34 am

Gamemaster

It's not difficult for Harrier and Coriolis to find someone in charge. A squat-looking man in body armor is poring over blueprints with various SWAT team members. According to the name on his badge, his name is Pierre LeConte. He seems unsurprised that heroes have arrived.
"Of course you show up now," he says, his voice gritty with stress and regret, "Terrorists kill a hostage, our negotiators can no longer contact them, and now we have proverbial bulls in the china shop."

He waves at the power plant. "The terrorists stormed the plant some twenty minutes ago, although we've got no record of their arrival. Just suddenly, there was a hurried phone message from one of the technicians saying that they were there, waving guns around, and that call ended quickly. They're demanding a helicopter to make their escape and after we tried to stall them, they claimed they would be executing one hostage every ten minutes until their demands were met. We were making arrangements for the helicopter when they contacted us and said that one hostage had proved himself too troublesome and had been disposed off. Then, they cut off all contact. We've been trying to re-establish contact." With evident frustration, he turned and kicked the side of one of the SWAT vans, creating a noticeable dent and a loud bang as the metal yielded to his strike. "We were going to deal with their demands, damn it... too many lives at stake."

He turns to the two heroes and says, "My men are good, but if the terrorists are entrenched, it's going to be difficult for us to properly penetrate. Do you have any training in this sort of situation? Can I trust you to not screw things up too badly?"

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3373
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Flynnarrel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:41 am

Coriolis

"Do you mean hostage negotiation or clearing out entrenched terrorists?" Corey asks. "I've never done the former but I have a few tricks to deal with the latter if I can get a good field of view of everyone. Even better if they are grouped near to one another.
And I'd need... dirt or dust or something"


He indicates the plans. "Do we know where they have the hostages? Are there any aerial access points?" he wasn't hopeful on his second question. Anyone who was this coordinated knew to account for flying heroes.
"Something pithy this way comes."

User avatar
Poodle
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:43 am

'crappit, crappit, crappit' thought Flicker. 'I don't want to get people hurt. Guess I better see what's goinv on' With just a little flicker he was near the group of heroes.
"Can I help? Flicker felt like kicking himself for being such a wimp. With a little more assertion he tried again.
I'm Flicker. Is there any way I can help?"
Last edited by Poodle on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Arsenal
Flicker
Manchester Merriweather

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3373
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Flynnarrel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:25 am

Coriolis

"Bueno, un otro Persona de Poder!"* Corey beams gesturing for the oddly masked one to come forward.

"We should introduce. I am Coriolis, and I control... well, the motion of Curves, you may say." his tone indicated that his description wasn't necessarily the best one but it was expedient.
* Good, another Person of Power!
"Something pithy this way comes."

User avatar
Poodle
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am

]Er - Gracias Senor." says Flicker stepping forward.
" I don't know what your plan is but I can get in pretty quietly. After that, I am not sure how many guys I can deal with, maybe a couple. So what's the plan? I'm ready to go. Lets get on with it. "
Last edited by Poodle on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Arsenal
Flicker
Manchester Merriweather

ZenGypsy
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by ZenGypsy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Harrier
Hero Points: 1 | Condition: Normal.

Shepherd nodded, his featureless mask bathed in the red & blue of the cruisers barricading the Power Plant's entrance. "Harrier, and as I recall, you requested assistance from these proverbial bulls." He paused, already people had been injured by these gunmen, he pushed down memories of Madeleine and his ER, focused on the current situation. "I've been involved in a hostage situation before, however professional assistance and guidance would be useful." A pause, "After all we don't want to destroy the china." He nodded towards the SWAT vehicle that had just pulled in, "I am assuming that you have spare radio comm's you could provide us with, that way we can stay in touch with your men, and if I were you I would try to get some plant engineers on the line so we can deal with any technical issues which may arise."

He looked to the spandex clad hero, nodded and extended a hand, "Harrier, like I was telling the Officer here, I am something of a ranged combat specialist. Anything I can pick up is of use as a weapon, ball bearings, playing cards, shell casings." As the man identifying himself as Flicker just ... appeared beside them, Harrier took a guarded step back his hand dropping to a pouch and coming up with what appeared to be small discs, similar in size to a poker chip, between his fingers, his arm behind his back allowing a throw of maximum velocity.

When the masked man in the tactical gear identified himself and offered assistance, Harrier visible relaxed, though the disks flickered across his knuckles as he nervously palmed them while he spoke. "We're going to need to see what you have LeConte, as far as their last known location, and access points into the plant. Location of the hostages, and where the fatal gunshot was heard, as that is likely where all the hostages are being held, after all, we're here to help, and we're all on the same side."

User avatar
Poodle
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 pm

talking talking talking (sigh) Flicker gets bored wth waiting. Carefully staying outside the police perimeter he flickers around the perimeter of the power plant to see if he can find a good spot to get in before heading back to the group.
OOC - Specifically looking for sections of wall without doors and ideally windows.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Arsenal
Flicker
Manchester Merriweather

Prof Weird
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Prof Weird » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 am

Geomancer
HP : 1
Condition : normal

"What did the terrorists ask for ?" Geomancer asked LeConte as she came into view in her powered form of a living statue of purplish marble, "A billion dollars in diamonds ? Someone freed from prison ? They must want something pretty badly if they took over a nuclear power plant."

Flynnarrel
Posts: 3373
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by Flynnarrel » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:41 am

Coriolis showed more response to Flicker porting out than he did Geomancer showing up (the Earth was no barrier to the detection of movement that his powers afforded him; he may not have known what the man-sized thing flowing through the earth was but he wasn't one to show alarm at the unknown; but the others' ability to be gone without moving unnerved him).

He looks to LeConte for the answers to the very reasonable questions his fellow 'capes' had asked him. But while he does so, he concentrates his movement-senses forward into the power plant to try to get a sense of where mobile people are in the facility. He wouldn't be able to tell terrorist from hostage, but maybe he could get a sense of location.
"Something pithy this way comes."

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: [IC] Critical Mass

Post by FuzzyBoots » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 am

Gamemaster

LeConte walks over to where a map is spread out on a field table.
"This is the latest blueprints filed for the plant. Unfortunately, as you can see, it's not exactly current, but it['s the best we have. We can get you radios. They were demanding vans and safe passage away from the plant when we lost contact. We believe, based on the phone call that got out, that the terrorists hustled the hostages into the Reaction Chamber here, where they were testing an experimental model, within 10 feet of reinforced concrete. There's probably some sort of roof access... I'd imagine there'd have to be for maintenance, but if so, they didn't update them here. We're requesting more records, but apparently the place is old enough that it's all paper copies."

Flicker's observation of the building shows that much of the exterior is featureless walls with the visible entrances being the front of the building and a loading dock. What windows are present are set high in the wall, primarily on the exterior wall of the Staff Rec Room.

Coriolis's attempt to detect motion in the plant is not effortless, various mechanisms and movements within the plant making his vision hazier as he looks further in, but there definitely does seem to be movement, mostly around the Reaction Chamber, much of it beginning to move away, although there's still quite a bit of movement going on within.
Map: Image (you may have to click in)

You and the police are assembled on the right side of the image. The "mid level" and "gantry level" bits are upper floors above the Reaction Chamber.

Post Reply